Search the best hotels in County Galway
About County Galway
County Galway embodies the traditional, slightly wild beauty many visitors look for when they come to Ireland, with vast green expanses and beautiful wind-swept coastlines. Galway city on the other hand is colourful and lively with an exciting live music scene. The best places to stay in County Galway are equally contrasting, in the city the best hotels are chic and contemporary affairs while the countryside has an eclectic range of converted country houses, lodges and castles which make perfect bases for an outdoor break.
The region is a great place to experience the old traditions of Ireland - be it language, food or classical Irish sounds. Foodies should head to Galway Bay which is renowned for its oysters and there are also a great range of country pubs in which you can sample quintessential Irish cuisine.
For adventurers the Aran, Inisheer and Inish Oirr Islands just off the coast have a real off-the-beaten-track feel. While travellers driving would be wise to plan to explore the Connermara Peninsula for an exceptionally dramatic road trip. The winding roads follow the inlets of the coastline, past hidden beaches and through almost hidden villages.
With so much to experience here it is a remarkable destination for the avid traveller. Our list of the best places to stay in County Galway includes a wide variety of properties to suit most tastes and budgets.
The best places to stay in County Galway
For urban chic
- Located just outside Galway, The G offers 5-star luxury in contemporary style. The interiors are carefully designed by Philip Treacy and flaunt brightly coloured spaces, leaving the rooms more calm and restful. A stone’s throw away from Galway’s main attractions.
- In the heart of the city you will find The House Hotel. Again, brightly coloured and full of new-age designs, the hotel captures the Galway character without being pretentious. A great choice to experience the city’s nightlife.
For Stunning Countryside
- Ross Lake House Hotel is an elegant countryside manor house surrounded by golf courses, coastline and the Connemara National Park. A definite must for those looking for scenic treks or a game of golf.
- If you’re looking to stay in a more traditional setting, Rosleague Manor in County Galway is the choice for you. Elegant bedrooms feature antique furniture, four poster beds and large bathrooms. Enjoy a cosy evening in the conservatory while being served some of the best Irish seafood dishes.
- The Lough Inagh Lodge is a cosy country house with great big armchairs and lounges full of books. Also a good option for long walks along the Western Way of the region.
- To enjoy the picturesque banks of the Lough Corrib, stay at the Currarevagh House. This traditional country house hotel is perfect for a peaceful escape and fly fishing on Lough Corrib.
For a castle retreat
- Experience the enchantment of rural Ireland at the Ballynahinch Castle. Close to the Ballynahinch Lake, this castle converted hotel has a warm ambiance and sumptuous locally produced meals. A great place to fish and take long walks on the castle grounds.
- The Connemara Coast Hotel is a luxurious contemporary hotel that's just perfect for a family getaway. There's an indulgent spa and two restaurants for the adults and kids club (open for morning and evening activities) and outdoor playground for the youngsters.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you've decided that you'd prefer to book a villa or apartment, we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com, where you'll find a wide range from budget to boutique.
- Although there are no direct flights to Galway, the city is accessible from Shannon Airport and Ireland West International Airport. For international flights, reach Galway from the main Dublin Airport.
- Alternately, there are frequent buses that travel to Galway city from Dublin.
- The best time to visit the rural parts of the county are between April and October. If you are keen on a more urban experience, Galway city is open all year round for excellent food, drink and cultural pursuits.
- If you decide to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best price.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our selection of the best places to stay in County Galway.
- Expand your search to include all our properties in County Clare.
- Or contact, one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in County Galway
Best Hotels in County Galway
Connemara Coast Hotel Galway, County Galway 141 rooms from £95Country Escape - Set on the Wild Atlantic Way and the shores of Galway Bay, a rugged spot to explore picturesque Connemara fromFamilies - With a kids club, outdoor playground and excellent family accommodation, this is ideal for a family break.Kids Club - There's a kids club for morning and evening activities which is open during the school holidays.Spa - There are a wide range of holistic treatments and therapies available
A luxurious contemporary hotel boasting a spectacular setting overlooking the dramatic Connemara coastline. Chic interiors are fresh and modern with large expanses of glass to fully take in the views. There's also an indulgent spa and two restaurants. A spoiling option for a rural getaway. See More
The G Galway 101 rooms from £97Suites - The hotel has 3 remarkable "specialty" suites designed by Philip Treacy, with spectacular views5* Luxury - The only truly 5 star hotel in GalwaySights nearby - Five minutes from Galway centreSpa - Award winning ESPARecommended by - CN Traveller, Kiwi Collection
Extraordinary contemporary five star hotel just outside Galway. Interiors designed by Philip Treacy feature brightly coloured (some might say garish) public spaces, whilst rooms and suites are more restful. Stunning views out to sea, great food & ESPA. All a stone's throw from Galway's attractions. See More
The Twelve Barna, County Galway 48 rooms from £98Hideaway - Set in a charming village on the Galway coast with a spa and acclaimed restaurant, this hotel makes the perfect luxury bolt-holeLocal exploring - There is lots to explore close to the hotel; see the coast on a long walk or rent bikes in the village and explore nearby GalwayFamilies - This hotel caters to families well, with spacious family suites that can accommodate childrenGreat walks - Take a long walk and discover the best coastal paths on this stretch of the Irish coast; enquire at the hotel for routes
This boutique hotel is situated in the seaside village of Bearna, close to Galway. The hotel's historic stone facade gives way to sophisticated guestrooms and spacious suites with sumptuous soft furnishings. With an award-winning restaurant and spa onsite there is no reason to leave this chic hotel. See More
The House Hotel Galway (The Latin Quarter) 40 rooms from £103City Style - Within walking distance of vibrant nighlifeSights nearby - Situated right in the centre of town within easy walking distance of all major attractionsRomantic - Good for couples.Full of character
The House Hotel is contemporary, without being pretentious, and situated in the heart of the city centre, offering good food and bright, lively accomodation with all the attractions of Galway on the doorstep. The Hotel is especially well situated for Galway's nightlife and ideal for romantic breaks See More
The Quay House Co Galway, County Galway 15 rooms from £121Active Holiday - With great opportunities for hiking, fishing and cycling in the area, this hotel makes a great option for active holidaymakersRomantic Break - Couples love the period details and unique décor at this family-run B&B; book a harbour-view room for added romanceLocal exploring - Explore the coastline and the pretty town, with easy access from this seafront bolt-holeGreat walks - Try the Derrigimlagh/Marconi walk, a 5km trail across blanket bog over a rugged and wild landscapeRecommended by - Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide
Experience traditional Irish hospitality at this heritage hotel on the coast of Galway. Family heirlooms and an open hearth make for a warm welcome. Upstairs, guestrooms are period themed, featuring lovely antiques, a fireplace and rich linens. A beautiful B&B, perfect for a weekend by the sea. See More
Ross Lake House Hotel Rosscahill, Co Galway, County Galway 10 rooms from £121Golf - Oughterard Golf Club, Barna Golf club, Galway Bay Golf and Country Club and Ballyconnelly Links Course.Active HolidaySights nearby - Cliffs of Moher and magical Connemara with its mountains and lakes.Great walks - Connemara National Park with its walks and mountain climbing.Recommended by - Sawdays
Rosleague Manor County Galway 20 rooms from £121Country Escape - Ideal spot for blowing out the cobwebs, with the National Park and coastal walks and cozy fireplaces to return toFishing - With the "Brazen Hussy" companyGreat walks - Through Connemara Loop routeTraditionalRecommended by - Sawdays, Fodors, Good Hotel Guide
Lough Inagh Lodge Galway, County Galway 12 rooms from £147Country Escape - On the shores of Lough Inagh, with fishing, country walks and outstanding viewsGreat walks - Along Western Way which commences in Oughterard and goes to Westport via LeenaneFishing - In the two Loughs, Derryclare and Inagh for salmon, sea trout and brown troutFour poster beds - For romantics.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Currarevagh House County Galway 12 rooms from £156Total relaxation - Set in a peaceful, undisturbed natural environment, it's perfect for a relaxing escape.Local exploring - Well located for exploring the vast beauty of Loch Corrib and Connemara.Great walks - Beautiful walking routes in the surrounding 180 acres of woodland.Fishing - The hotel can organise fly fishing on Lough Corrib.Recommended by - Sawdays
Ballynahinch Castle Co. Gallway, County Galway 48 rooms from £169Country Escape - Outstanding fishing opportunities, miles of walking stunning paths, roaring fireplaces and nearby castles to seeGreat walks - Take a look around the Castle's picturesque shores of Ballynahinch Lake and woodlandFishing - From February to September the estate offers a fantastic fly fishing experienceViews - Great views from hotel
Castle hotel with warm and sumptuous ambience. Bedrooms feature four poster beds, creamy furnishings and gorgeous bathrooms. Great restaurant with local, seasonal produce: fresh fish, wild mushrooms, woodcock and cosy pub for an afternoon. Outstanding outdoors activities; the ideal country weekend. See More
The Galmont Galway 269 rooms from £207Local exploring - A decadent base with easy access to the culturally exciting GalwaySpa - Spriit One Spa boasts a Thermal Suite, relaxation area and wide range of treatments.Great walks - Get out of the city and hike in the rugged Connemara countrysideSwimming Pool - Indoor pool
A large, unabashedly contemporary hotel well placed in a quiet spot yet within walking distance from vibrant Galway. Spacious modern rooms have large expanses of glass from which to take in the sea views. Featuring an award-winning spa, indoor pool and two restaurants; an indulgent city escape. See More
Screebe House County Galway 10 rooms from £184Country Escape - Set in a Victorian country house on the banks of Camus Bay, book this hotel for an idyllic Irish escape to the countryRomantic Break - Couples rate this heritage hunting lodge highly; book the spa suite for a luxurious spa bathroomHideaway - With a secluded setting and a spa, bar and restaurant onsiteFishing - The hotel offers guests exclusive fishing in Connemara on its system of loughs and lakes, and will provide all necessary permits
This former Victorian hunting lodge is set on the shore of Camus Bay within its own mature gardens. Country charm pervades the guestrooms, bedecked in floral print and period antiques. Curl up by the cosy sitting room fire after a day out fishing or check into the spa for a revitalising treatment. See More
Glenlo Abbey Hotel County Galway 50 rooms from £194Country Escape - Set on a charming country estate with an acclaimed golf course, book this hotel for your next escape from the cityLocal exploring - With easy access to Galway, and plenty of natural beauty around the hotel, there is lots to explore hereFoodies - Foodies will love the stylish Pullman Restaurant, housed within a former train carriageViews - Great views from hotel
This luxury hotel is located on a peaceful country estate in Galway, on the banks of Lough Corrib. Guestrooms have period furnishings in keeping with the 18th-century property; book the Presidential Suite for opulent living space. Spend a day on the hotel's acclaimed golf course; a stylish retreat. See More