Search the best hotels in County Monaghan
About County Monaghan
One of three Ulster counties that's in the Republic of Ireland, Monaghan has always been something of a frontier land. It was the only county not planted in the 17th century Ulster Plantation and joined the Free State in 1921 rather than the newly formed Northern Ireland. Birthplace of the prominent 20th century Irish poet, Patrick Kavanagh, the county is full of quirky cultural happenings and beautiful landscapes. The best places to stay in Monaghan are mostly charming countryside retreats.
What Not To Miss
- If you fancy learning more about the area's past then head along to the Monaghan County Museum.
- Take the whole family on a walk around Lough Muckno Leisure Park which, as well as a number of lakes, also has a well-equipped playground including a zipline!
- St Peter's Church, a surprising example of Swiss Gothic architecture, is nestled in a tranquil setting and boasts plenty of history.
- Visit the beautiful 12th century Round Towers at Clones.
Not the stereotypical Irish holiday destination, Monaghan is a great spot for people who enjoy unearthing hidden gems. Our selection of the best places to stay in County Monaghan will certainly help you to do so.
The best places to stay in County Monaghan
For A Country Escape
- The lovely Castle Leslie boasts country style rooms with plenty of antiques and period features. This luxurious spot also features a 2 AA Rosette restaurant, an atmospheric bar and a spoiling spa - the ultimate country getaway.
- Set amidst beautiful grounds, Hilton Park is a stunning stately home turned hotel. Packed with lovely antiques and fascinating artwork, the place gives off a rich sense of history and heritage. Elegant rooms and superb food are staples at Hilton Park.
For An Apartment Or Holiday Home
- If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- County Monaghan's best weather is during the summer months, with the average daily temperature ranging from 14-20°C in July and August.
- Visitors from abroad can fly into Dublin Airport, served by a number of international destinations, before taking the train or bus on to County Monaghan.
- Bus Éireann also provide bus links from Galway, Belfast, Dublin (including the airport) and Dundalk.
- For car hire prices, and driving is the best way of exploring County Monaghan, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still Not Sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in County Monaghan.
- Widen the net and look through our recommendations in Dublin or across the border in Belfast.
- Or feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice
Best Hotels in County Monaghan
Castle Leslie Glaslough, County Monaghan 46 rooms from £71
Family owned Castle Leslie has been converted into an unstuffy luxury country hotel. Rooms are crammed with antiques and period features and there is something for everyone from horse riding to relaxing in the spa. 2 AA Rosette standard fine dining or Conor's Bar for a more relaxed feel.Riding - Equestrian centre on site offering something for everyone from beginners to experts. Riding packages are availableCastle - Set in 1000 acre estateSpa - Wide range of traditional organic therapies on offerKayaking - Learn to kayak on Glaslough LakeRecommended by - I Escape
Hilton Park County Monaghan 6 rooms from £164
A stately home set in rolling grounds offers a peaceful rural escape. Enormous rooms are beautifully designed with four poster beds, elegant antiques and heavy curtains draped over floor to ceiling windows. With fabulous food and numerous activities to occupy oneself this property has it all.Country Escape - An impressive stately home set in beautiful grounds. A taste of the good life.Great walks - Take long walks along the trails that run through Cavan Burren Park.Kayaking - Explore the area's waterways with Cavan Canoeing.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide