Search the best hotels in Assisi
In a countryside dotted with astonishingly beautiful hilltop towns, Assisi stands out, and it’s a popular spot. As with other hilltop towns in Umbria space is limited, so the majority of accommodation is in elegant conversions of historic buildings. Our Gurus name a converted monastery, a palazzo, a villa and a farmhouse on their recommendations for the best places to stay in Assisi.
If you’re drawn to Assisi’s beauty you may also want to consider staying outside town, where you’ll have exquisite views of it? The Castello di Petroia, Le Silve di Armenzano and the Palazzo Bontadosi are all worth considering.
If you’re drawn to historic Assisi itself, like St. Francis and St. Clare, with its views over the surrounding plains and Monte Subasio rising above, the best places to stay in Assisi will be those nestling within the original walls, and you can even stay in that converted monastery, remember.
The best places to stay in Assisi
For the Album
- The Nun Assisi Relais & Spa stands out in this list for its contemporary design — it occupies a 13th century monastery, so it couldn’t be more historic, but the flair with which it has been converted, and redesigned and decorated, makes it feel very modern. The vaulted ceilings go especially well with contemporary Italian furniture in white leather. The best of the 18 rooms and suites have original frescoes on the walls, and even the simplest have exposed brick and terracotta tiles. The restaurant is a gourmet affair, and the spa is good enough to be included in the name.
For a Rural Retreat
- The Castello Di Petrata is a rustically charming stone country house about five kilometres north of Assisi, set in lush grounds with serene country views — the pool has an excellent view too. Inside are 22 rooms and suites, decorated in a simple way that makes the most of the original beamed ceiling, wood floors and stone. In some rooms are there sections of exposed stone, others are entirely whitewashed. There’s also a restaurant specialising in Umbrian cuisine, which has a cooking school attached. They also offer art classes and plenty of family-friendly activities.
- San Crispino Residence occupies an impressive castle at the centre of Assisi, and is very romantic with it. Within it has seven character-filled rooms and suites, complete with original frescoes, murals, vaulted ceilings, and plenty of dark wood and beautiful old stone. It feels as historic as the town, and is a great base from which to unlock Assisi.
For Great Value
- The Hotel Il Palazzo is a beautifully converted 16th century palazzo in a central spot. The conversion cleverly makes use of the best of the building’s original features, like the beamed, vaulted or mural-ed ceilings, and the elegant courtyard, while injecting contemporary minimalism, that actually brings the original building to life. There are 12 guestrooms, plus a comfortable lounge and a breakfast room with a vaulted ceiling. There’s no restaurant, but you’re close to numerous places to eat and drink.
For an apartment or villa
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Assisi is Perugia (7 miles).
- For car hire, we recommend visiting our online partner Rentalcars.
- When to Visit? While Assisi has numerous festivals and events throughout the year, the best times to visit are probably during the pleasant summer months when temperatures range between 20 to 28° C, or right after the winter, in February or March. Easter and Christmas are understandably very popular times as well, and there are all sorts of fascinating celebrations around both.
Still not sure where to stay?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Umbria
- Or consider some of Umbria’s other historic hilltop towns... What about the best places to stay in Orvieto or Todi?
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Assisi
Best Hotels in Assisi
Hotel Il Palazzo, Assisi Assisi (Umbria) 12 rooms from £95Foodies - With its central location close to many restaurants and bars in Assisi, there is plenty on offer local to the hotel for foodiesLocal exploring - Located in the picturesque town of Assisi in Umbria, this hotel is well-located for local exploringRomantic Break - With pretty heritage features and comfortable beds, this hotel scores highly with couplesSights nearby - Visit the nearby Basilica di San Francesco, one of the most important sites of Christian pilgrimage in Italy
This hotel is set in the 16th-century Palazzo Bartocci Fontana in Assisi. Rooms are modern and stylish, with unfussy interior design allowing the heritage features to speak for themselves; the best suites feature original frescoes, while the breakfast room boasts a vaulted ceiling. A charming hotel. See More
San Crispino Residence Assisi 7 rooms from £103Romantic Break - A unique and beautifully restored mansion, with traditional stone and wood interiors, frescoes and views over the city.Sights nearby - Assisi has a great religious history so why not visit the Basilica of Saint Clare and the Basilica di San Francesco.Learning - Hop on the shuttle to the San Crispino wellness centre for painting, art history and cooking classes.Other Activities - For an interesting learning expereince visit Umbria's world famous olive mills less than a mile away.
An enchanting hotel in the centre of Assisi, bristling with charm and character. The rich history of the area is reflected in the beautiful frescoes, antique furniture and traditional stone interiors. The place to stay if you want to unlock this fascinating little Umbrian town. See More
Castello di Petrata PG, Umbria 22 rooms from £195Families - There are plenty of recreational activities for children like target bow and cross bow shooting as well as a tennis court.Active Holiday - An array of activities outdoors like trekking, mountain biking, climbing and paragliding are available nearby.Country Escape - A country style hotel surrounded by beautiful landscapes - gardens, orchards, olive groves and forests.Cooking classes - Classes are held in the restaurant by the fantastic in house chef.
A calm and serene country escape, just outside Assisi. Rooms feature wooden beam ceilings and wrought iron beds, with all modern comforts. Relax and unwind at the exclusive spa, or a by the pool. The restaurant serves mouthwatering regional cuisine with a view, in the lovely gardens. Bliss! See More
Nun Assisi Relais & Spa Assisi (Piazza Giacomo Matteotti) 18 rooms from £297Riding - Book the hotel's adventure package for an hour-long horseback ride in the neighbouring nature reserve, Valle del Ventia.Designer Shopping - Indulge in a trip to the most exclusive boutiques in the region with a personal shopper, available through the hotel.Local exploring - There is plenty of local exploring to be done in and around the pretty town of Assisi where the hotel is situated.Country Escape - Located within an ancient monastery, dotted with fragrant lavander plants and offering views of Mount Subasio.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
This five-star hotel is housed in a 13th-century monastery in Assisi, Umbria. Suites have elegant, modern interior design; the best feature original frescoes and exposed stone walls. Eat at the gourmet restaurant, headed by Emanuele Mazzella, before a drink at the cosy bar; a unique heritage hotel. See More