Search the best hotels in Assisi
In a countryside dotted with astonishingly beautiful hilltop towns, Assisi stands out. Are the connections to St. Francis and St. Clare what make it so magical? Or did the heavenly appearance of this spot in particular with views over the surrounding plains and Monte Subasio rising above, call out to those sensitive souls? Most of the Hotel Guru's recommendations for the best places to stay in Assisi are slightly out of town, but needless to say all have something magical to offer. From a mediaeval hilltop castle to a farmhouse turned country house hotel with amazing views.
What not to miss:
- To really experience Assisi's allure you need to see this place at dusk, when today's portion of the six million annual visitors and pilgrims has left and the pale stone glows an angelic rose colour.
- Assisi has been an important pilgrimage site since the the 13th Century when the Basilica of San Francesco was built. But somehow, even at its busiest, the Basilica retains a feeling of great peace. This is Francis's resting place too, his tomb is in the lower sanctuary underneath the wonderful Giotto school frescoes.
- Assisi's location has been known of as a special place long before St. Francis. Legends say the town sprang up around an Etruscan healing spring around which a Roman temple to Minerva was built. Converted to a church very early in the Christian period, this is the church of Santa Maria Sopra Minerva in the Piazza del Comune at the centre of town.
- Assisi's Old Town is quite small and easily explored on foot, as long as you don't mind steep hills. Most of the main sights are right at the top of the hill, but it's also worth exploring among the medieval houses and shops.
- Corse Mazzini is worth a stroll, it has some interesting shops, and at the end of the town you'll find St. Clare's Basilica which is where you can see the original crucifix which spoke to St. Francis.
- Via San Paolo is also worth walking around, it's where you'll find the church of St. Stephen.
- As well as visiting churches, Assisi is a great place to try Umbrian wines, attend some incredible masses and explore the local region in the saddle - of a bike.
The best places to stay in Assisi offer a charming blend of the town's vibrant culture and fascinating history, as well as making great use of Assisi's stunning positioning.
The best places to stay in Assisi
For the views
- Le Silve di Armenzano is an old farmhouse converted into a stylish country house hotel. As well as being situated above Assisi it's also just above the national park, so the views from the terrace are incredible. Great on site restaurant serving Umbrian specialities.
For history buffs
- A medieval hilltop castle, Castello di Petroia has views over all of Umbria. Much of the region you see when you peer from your tower bedroom belongs to the castle - they have 900 acres. Inside you'll find elegant bedrooms, four poster beds and hot tubs.
- Originally a Cardinal's house, the elegant Palazzo Bontadosi is just off the main square of Montefalco, a lovely hilltop village just outside Assisi. This property has some wonderful original frescos and a well equipped spa with an indoor saltwater pool.
- San Crispino Residence bristles with historic charm and character right in the heart of Assisi. Its seven individually decorated rooms each offer a snap-shot into the hotel's past with ornate beds and frescoed walls. A great base from which to unlock Assisi.
For a rural escape
- A farmhouse, a castle and now a rambling 17th Century palazzo, L’Orto degli Angeli. This is a romantic place to stay, full of beautiful old antiques and art and surrounded by beautiful gardens.
- Lying to the north of Assisi, Castello di Petrata is a glorious villa overlooking the Umbrian countryside. A relaxing ambience pervades throughout the hotel from its serene pool to its deluxe spa. Perfect for a romantic retreat.
For an apartment or villa
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Assisi is Perugia (7 miles).
- For car hire, we recommend visiting our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Perugia is from May to September when the temperature ranges from 21ºC to 29ºC.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Assisi.
- Or contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
- Alternatively check out our full list of recommendations in Umbria.
Monthly Weather in Assisi
Best Hotels in Assisi
Hotel Il Palazzo, Assisi Assisi (Umbria) 12 rooms from £95Foodies - With its central location close to many restaurants and bars in Assisi, there is plenty on offer local to the hotel for foodiesLocal exploring - Located in the picturesque town of Assisi in Umbria, this hotel is well-located for local exploringRomantic Break - With pretty heritage features and comfortable beds, this hotel scores highly with couplesSights nearby - Visit the nearby Basilica di San Francesco, one of the most important sites of Christian pilgrimage in Italy
This hotel is set in the 16th-century Palazzo Bartocci Fontana in Assisi. Rooms are modern and stylish, with unfussy interior design allowing the heritage features to speak for themselves; the best suites feature original frescoes, while the breakfast room boasts a vaulted ceiling. A charming hotel. See More
San Crispino Residence Assisi 7 rooms from £103Romantic Break - A unique and beautifully restored mansion, with traditional stone and wood interiors, frescoes and views over the city.Sights nearby - Assisi has a great religious history so why not visit the Basilica of Saint Clare and the Basilica di San Francesco.Local markets - Head out and explore the bustling markets of Assisi.Full of character
An enchanting hotel in the centre of Assisi, bristling with charm and character. The rich history of the area is reflected in the beautiful frescoes, antique furniture and traditional stone interiors. The place to stay if you want to unlock this fascinating little Umbrian town. See More
Castello di Petrata PG, Umbria 22 rooms from £130Families - There are plenty of recreational activities for children like target bow and cross bow shooting as well as a tennis court.Active Holiday - An array of activities outdoors like trekking, mountain biking, climbing and paragliding are available nearby.Country Escape - A country style hotel surrounded by beautiful landscapes - gardens, orchards, olive groves and forests.Cooking classes - Classes are held in the restaurant by the fantastic in house chef.
A calm and serene country escape, just outside Assisi. Rooms feature wooden beam ceilings and wrought iron beds, with all modern comforts. Relax and unwind at the exclusive spa, or a by the pool. The restaurant serves mouthwatering regional cuisine with a view, in the lovely gardens. Bliss! See More
Nun Assisi Relais & Spa Assisi (Piazza Giacomo Matteotti) 18 rooms from £297Country Escape - Located within an ancient monastery in the Umbrian hill town of Assisi, this hotel makes a unique escape to the countryLocal exploring - There is plenty of local exploring to be done in and around the pretty town of Assisi where the hotel is situatedRomantic Break - The hotel's luxury suites and heritage features score highly with couples on a romantic breakRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
This five-star hotel is housed in a 13th-century monastery in Assisi, Umbria. Suites have elegant, modern interior design; the best feature original frescoes and exposed stone walls. Eat at the gourmet restaurant, headed by Emanuele Mazzella, before a drink at the cosy bar; a unique heritage hotel. See More