Search the best hotels in Calabria
With its mild winter temperatures and hot summers Calabria is one of the best places to stay at any time of the year. Located in the tip of the 'boot' of Italy the region offers pristine beaches, rustic charms, a friendly atmosphere and some uniquely spectacular countryside. Calabria also has some impressive Greek and Byzantine ruins and charming hilltop towns and fishing villages. Calabria is relatively quiet and inexpensive when it comes to visitors, so you’ll probably be surprised how reasonably priced the best places to stay in Calabria are.
Relatively undeveloped tourist infrastructure here probably has a lot to do with recent earthquakes, the region’s Mafia connections and its history of poverty but don't let that put you off visiting this wonderful region.
Things not to miss:
- This is a very traditional, uncensored place with fairly unkempt, work-a-day cities, but its Tyrrhenian coastline is beyond picturesque, with a number of very lovely little ports and towns, some photo-perfect islands and idyllic, white-sandy beaches.
- Impressive museums stuffed with local finds, including ancient Greek and Byzantine artefacts and some serious hauls from ancient shipwrecks.
Calabria’s interior is largely under the umbrella of three relatively unexplored national parks. So this is a great option if you want to visit somewhere which feels a bit edgy, but you don’t want to leave Europe.
The summer months will be busier however, so if you want to book into one of the best places to stay in Calabria, get organised and plan ahead.
For a rustic vibe
- The Agriturismo Contrada Guido near Catanzaro is a charming hotel set amongst acres of farmland. There are 13 stylish rooms filled with upcycled antiques, and nice original details. Plus there’s a pool, a private beach and excellent Mediterranean restaurant, an orchard of citrus and olive trees and a chapel.
- At the other end of the scale you’ll find Praia Art Resort, a five star beach resort with luxurious, modern amenities, yet still many traditional features. The Art Hotel also has a private beach and a pool with spectacular views.
For a private apartment or villa
- For those looking for something a little more private, explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The Calabria region is serviced by three airports: Reggio Calabria, Lamenzia Terme and Crotone.
- To explore the region on four wheels, visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
- If your in search of sun, the summer months are best for you. To escape the summer crowds, we recommend September and Ocotber when the weather is still warm and landscape looks incredible.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Calabria.
- Expand your search to include Basilicata.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Calabria
Best Hotels in Calabria
Casa Gemma Lamezia Terme, Calabria 3 rooms from £43Great walks - Take lovely walks along the nearby river Canne.Local markets - Browse the local markets in Lamenzia Terme.Outstanding locationRomantic - Good for couples.
Agriturismo Contrada Guido Catanzaro, Calabria 13 rooms from £79Families - Plenty for families to enjoy from the private beach, playground, local markets, gardens and adventure park nearbyGroups - Entire property can be rented and facilities enjoyed: outdoor pool, gardens and private beachGreat walks - Valli Cupe, a natural sight filled with gorges, waterfalls and ravines is nearbySights nearby - Sellia Marina and Catanzaro, Museo Archelogico, Museo Marca
A charming hotel set in acres of farmland. Rooms are stylish and simple, filled with renovated furniture and exposed beams. Chapel, outdoor pool, private beach and gardens filled with citrus and olive trees. Excellent Mediterranean cuisine. An ideal choice for families or groups. See More
Suite 70 Reggio Calabria 4 rooms from £95Sights nearby - Ten minutes walk from the Aragonese Castle.Views - Great views from hotel
Al Castello Reggio Calabria 4 rooms from £104Sights nearby - Two minutes walk from the Aragonese Castle of Calabria.
Palazzo del Capo Cittadella del Capo, Calabria 13 rooms from £120Surfing - The coast of Calabria has some great spots for surfing.Great walks - Excellent walking trails along the Calabrian coastline.Local markets - Browse the local market in Cittadella del Capo.Views - Great views from hotel
Overlooking the Mediterranean, Palazzo del Capo is an impressive historic property turned five-star hotel featuring excellent traditional rooms and suites and a stellar restaurant. Relaxing spa, direct beach access and mature gardens with pool and sun terrace. A charming stay on the Calabrian coast See More
Hotel Rocca della Sena Tropea 15 rooms from £130Sights nearby - Explore Tropea’s rocky crags above the sea that are the sight of a Norman Cathedral and the Santa Maria dell’Isola Church.Diving - Diving trips can be organised by the hotel.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Views - Great views from hotel
Piccolo Grand Hotel Pizzo, Calabria 17 rooms from £124Sailing - Pizzo is a great stopping point for a sailing trip on the Tyrrhenian Sea.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby sights such as Murat Castle and Piedigrotta Church.Great walks - Go walking around the beautiful lake of Chiesa di Piedigrotta.Local markets - Browse the bustling Mercato Settimanale del Giovedi.
Villa Paola Tropea 11 rooms from £210Sights nearby - Explore the stunning rocky crags around that town that house the Norman Cathedral and Santa Maria dell’Isola Church.Great walks - Walk up to the stunning Capo Vaticano Lighthouse with its fantastic views.Local markets - Browse the bustling Tropea market.Views - Great views from hotel
Praia Art Resort Le Castella, Calabria 13 rooms from £286Sights nearby - Historic towns, a marine reserve, national park and the 'greatest canyons of Europe' are all close byViews - Spectacular views along the coastlineSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Tablet, Sawdays
A five star beach resort on Calabria's Ionian coast, where fresh modern style meets rustic Italian tradition. Exposed beams and four poster beds complemented by luxury bathrooms and modern amenities. All backing onto a private beach to create an idyllic setting for a break in Southern Italy. See More