Search the best hotels in Elba
One of the things our Gurus often mention when talking Elba is that this little island has a really great range of accommodation, from campsites to affordable B&Bs, family-friendly beach front hotels and converted villas, all the way to seriously luxurious resorts.
For some people Elba is a sunny holiday isle, and if your accomodation dream is some kind of beach resort, then the Gurus definitely have something for you on their list. But if you’re interested in more than just sun and sea, and want to explore Elba’s interior, visiting forts, castles, churches and woodlands, then we think you'll be looking for something a little more historic and unique, and we have a slew of great suggestions for you too.
The majority of Elba’s accommodation is on the northern coast, and most of our recommendations for the best places to stay on Elba certainly are, but there are great options spread widely up and down it, so it’s certainly worth considering whether you’re looking for a waterside break, or whether you'd prefer to be somewhere in the isle’s lush interior, or in a picturesque town.
The Best Places to Stay on Elba
For a Beach Break
- The Hotel Hermitage is one of the largest hotels on our list, with 112 rooms, suites and private cottages, and facilities to match. Most of the accommodation faces the Mediterranean, and is arranged in an arc around the azure bay of Biodola beach, and behind the hotel is the lush green of the Tuscan National Park. Kids will appreciate the size of the suites and cottages, the kids club and activities, and the choice of four restaurants. While adults are more likely to appreciate the wine tastings, spa and gym, and gourmet Italian cuisine.
For an Intimate Escape
- If you're searching for peace in a waterside paradise, the Boutique Hotel Ilio is the one to book. Elba doesn't have a lot in the way of boutique hotels, and Ilio, with its 20 individually themed rooms, regular photographic exhibitions, and restaurant focussed on serving locally sourced wonders, fills that gap nicely. Its location, in Sant’ Andrea, on the north west corner of the island, is quieter, with a coast alternating sand and stone, and a number of excellent restaurants. It’s great value for money too.
- Il Termine is an 18th century stone villa on a wooded plot close to Rio Marina. It offers just six rooms and suites, decorated with a carefully selected collection of art and antiques — that look perfectly in keeping with the charms of the original villa. The contemporary bathrooms, deck and plunge pool, hot tub and sauna do give the game away a bit, but will probably be much appreciated additions. The restaurant specialises in local cuisine, and spills out onto the terrace most evenings.
- Suite B&B is a chic, four room B&B in Portoferraio. Because it’s so small there’s a nice intimate, private feel to it. Some rooms open out onto the lush gardens, shady terrace and saltwater pool, which are ideal if you want a lounging afternoon. Breakfast is served outdoors when the weather allows. Bliss!
- Il Casale di Monserrato is a lovely 17th century villa turned five room B&B in a tucked-away, cypress-shaded spot in the Valley of Monserrat. Inside the villa is wonderfully Tuscan, with traditional arched ceilings or exposed beams, stone floors and green-shuttered windows, and each of the rooms is arranged and decorated differently. Outside is a lovely terrace and plunge pool, and lush gardens.
For Great Value
- The Indarsena B&B is a simply converted traditional townhouse in the heart of Portoferraio, a short stroll from La Padulella Beach. Its four guest rooms feel bright and fresh, and the breakfast room is the same. Plus there are self-catering facilities if you need them.
- The Marina Garden Hotel is in Marciana Marina, the smallest village on Elba, on the northern coast behind a pebble-y stretch of coastline. Its 42 rooms and suites are simply decorated, in a contemporary, slightly industrial style, and feature works by local artists. The deck and pool are a relaxing place to hang out, and there are some great bars, restaurants and cafes in the village.
For an apartment or villa
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- Elba has its own airport: Elba Airport (though it only operates during the busiest season) and has connections to Florence, Lugano, Pisa, Milan and Zurich among other destinations. Otherwise the nearest airport is Pisa Airport, from which it’s a train to Piombino, followed by a ferry trip across the water. Allow about four and a half hours to make this leg of your journey in that way, or you can drive it in about two and a half — including the car ferry.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Weather-wise, Elba's obviously nicest in the summer months — in July the average daily temperature rises to 25°C. This however is peak tourist season, so if you fancy a quieter and cheaper time to visit then consider May or September.
Still not sure where to stay?
- You could expand your search to include the best places to stay in Tuscany
- Consider staying on the Tuscan coast
- Or, you could contact one of our friendly gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Elba
Best Hotels in Elba
Boutique Hotel Ilio Marciana, Elba 20 rooms from £74Great walks - Range of trails straight from the door.Diving - Dive centre on the beachSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Views - Great views from hotel
Indarsena B&B Portoferraio, Elba 4 rooms from £87Local exploring - With a central location in the town, a stone's throw from the beach, book this hotel as a base for local exploring in ElbaCity Style - Set in a traditional property with bright interiors in Portoferraio, this hotel has lots of contemporary Tuscan styleRomantic Break - With well-appointed rooms and an unbeatable location, book this boutique B&B for your next romantic getawayLocal markets - Visit the daily fresh produce markets on the island; enquire with your hosts for recommendations of the best markets to visit
This elegant B&B is nestled in a traditional townhouse in the heart of Portoferraio, a stone's throw from La Padulella beach. Inside, whitewashed walls are set off with splashes of print and bright colours in the soft furnishings. Start the day in the airy breakfast room before sightseeing. See More
Marina Garden Hotel Marciana Marina, Elba 42 rooms from £102Romantic Break - With stylish suites and a romantic sit-out terrace with a pool, book this hotel for your next couples' getawayLocal exploring - Surrounded by bars and restaurants, book this hotel as a base for your local exploring in Marciana MarinaBeach Life - Situated close to the coast on the charming island of Elba, book this hotel for a relaxing seaside breakSights nearby - Take a day trip to Poggio and visit the ancient Romanesque churches San Nicolò and San Lorenzo while exploring cobbled streets
This stylish hotel is located in Marciana Marina, the smallest village on the island of Elba. The newly renovated guestrooms have a subtle nautical theme, picked up in work by local artists. Unwind on the deck by the outdoor pool or head down to the pebble beach, a few minutes' walk away. See More
Suite B&B Portoferraio, Elba 4 rooms from £165Local exploring - With the picturesque beaches, markets and historical sites of Portoferraio close by, there is lots to explore local to this B&BRomantic Break - With a handful of romantic private suites and a luxurious terrace and pool, book this hotel for your next couples' getawayHideaway - Set in a secluded spot overlooking Portoferraio, this hotel makes a charming hideaway holiday destinationLocal markets - Discover the bustling local markets in the town with expert guidance from your hosts, who can give tips on the best places to go
This boutique B&B makes a stylish hideaway in Portoferraio. At just four guestrooms, the hotel feels intimate and personal. The contemporary, whitewashed villa opens out onto a verdant garden with a shady terrace and saltwater pool, perfect for long afternoons lounging in the sun. See More
Il Casale di Monserrato Porto Azzurro, Elba 5 rooms from £174Hideaway - Set in a secret garden nestled within the beautiful Monserrato Valley, book this hotel for a luxurious hideaway holidayRomantic Break - With heritage rooms, a beautiful garden and sit-out terrace, book this hotel for a relaxing couples' getawayLocal exploring - Set in Porto Azzurro on the Tuscan island of Elba, this hotel is a great starting point for local exploringSailing - Porto Azzurro is a great spot for sailing; take sailing classes at the Circolo Velico to get started
This B&B is tucked away in the Valley of Montserrat on the Tuscan island of Elba. The heritage villa is shaded by the region's emblematic cypress trees and has a chic terrace with a plunge pool. Inside, terracotta arches and exposed beams will transport you back to 17th-century Tuscany. See More
Hotel Hermitage, Elba Portoferraio, Elba 112 rooms from £203Beach Life - Set on the beautiful Biodola beach in the verdant grounds of the Tuscan National Park, book this hotel for a luxury beach breakFamilies - Offering spacious family suites, a kid's club and lots of family-friendly activities, book this hotel for your summer holidaysFoodies - With four restaurants within the hotel serving different takes on classic Italian cuisine, this hotel is great for foodiesSights nearby - Visit Villa dei Mulini, Napoleon’s former home and now a National Museum. The property dates back to 1724
This luxury, five-star hotel is nestled on Biodola beach on the Tuscan island of Elba. Most of the guestrooms sit within private cottages built into the rock on the hillside facing the Mediterranean. Foodies will be spoiled by the resort's four restaurants, serving gourmet Italian cuisine. See More
Il Termine Rio Marina, Elba 6 rooms from £330Romantic Break - With effortlessly stylish suites, a full-service spa and swimming pool onsite, book this hotel for a unique romantic hideawayBack to Nature - The philosophy of this hotel is based on connection with the natural environment, making it a chic nature retreatCountry Escape - Nestled in a beautiful forest on the island of Elba, book this hotel for a luxury country escapeFishing - Try your hand at big game fishing at this hotel, which hosts the first fishing lodge of its kind in Italy
An 18th-century Tuscan residence is the setting for this luxury hotel and spa, tucked away in the woods close to Rio Marina. Guestrooms are dressed in hand-selected antiques, complementing the property's heritage details. Complete the authentic country experience by booking an aperitivo nature walk. See More