Search the best hotels in Positano
Location scouts go weak at the knees when they round the bend in the Amalfi Coast road and spy Positano nestled in the cliffs, rising like a staircase from the bright blue sea towards the citrus and olive groves. Positano's unbleached peach and pink buildings are stacked so neatly, that there are plenty of properties with exquisite views. But some of the best views are of the town itself. Our list of the best places to stay in Positano offers a selection of both views.
The town itself is a colourful stack of buildings, with roads so narrow you can't fit a car through. To that add girls in floaty florals - Positano is is famous for Moda Positano fabric popular in bright fifties fashions - and colourfully painted fishing boats. Magenta fronds of bougainvillaea stir gently in the breezes.
As well as being beautiful, Positano is colourful and lively, full of kids queuing for gelati and families playing on the beach. Though of course it also has immaculate boutiques for the chic Milanese to peruse and restaurants to please even the most gourmet palates.
What not to Miss
- The spectacular sea views. These open out along the coast, and if you're in the right spot you can peer across the bay to Capri.
- Don't fall too deeply in love with pretty Positano that you don't explore more of the Amalfi Coast while you're here. Take a trip along to Naples, Pompeii and Sorrento (at least!), and possibly pop over to Capri. If you're really brave, one of the best ways to discover the Amalfi Coast is by scooter!
- For some night time action head out to Music on the Rocks, a spectacular club carved into the rock. It's a great place not only to dance the night away, but also do some celebrity spotting.
- Pick up a pair of made-to-measure handcrafted sandals, created while you wait. There are numerous shops continuing this tradition which began at the end of the Second World War.
It's extremely busy here during the peak summer months. So if you want to book one of the best places to stay in Positano get organised and plan well ahead.
The best places to stay in Positano
For Perfect Views
- The Villa Magia is a superb, six room boutique hotel with stunning views and tasteful artwork. The rest of the decor is simple and elegant and there are some lovey antiques. There is a lovely pool and spa.
- The Miramare is an historic hotel, dating from the 1930s, located in the perfect spot to offer all of the 16 rooms perfect sea-views. The decor is very chic and Italian and there are lovely terraces.
- Casa Buonocore is a six room boutique B&B in an elegantly restored 17th century beauty. All six rooms have panoramic terraces, plus you’re in the centre of town just minutes from the beach. Chic and stylish with its own cafe.
For a special occasion
- If you're looking for a celestial, Amalfi fairytale try Le Sirenuse, an 18th Century palazzo converted into a beautiful 60 room hotel with Michelin starred restaurant and a pool terrace wonderfully scented by lemon trees. Magical and romantic.
- Il San Pietro di Positano is a spectacular, five-start hotel with 60 romantic rooms and suites - think vaulted ceilings, private balconies and sumptuous beds. There is a private beach, tennis courts, beauty salon and spa, a gorgeous infinity pool and an excellent restaurant.
- Built atop a hill, the Villa Franca has truly sublime views of Positano and beyond, especially from the private balconies and the rooftop terrace and swimming pool.
- The centrally located Palazzo Murat has been converted from a fabulous 17th Century townhouse and is a romantic, luxurious, bougainvillea strewn option with an infinity pool.
To relax in style
- The Villa Treville is just along the coast from Positano and is a 15 suite hotel converted from an opulent estate. There are plenty of ornate tiles and marble and a private beach, perfect views and the feeling of being the guest in someone’s beautiful home.
- The Hotel Poseidon has a great location in central Positano overlooking the town, the beach and the Mediterranean. Rooms are traditional and romantic with private balconies. The hotel has excellent facilities including a wellness centre - so this is a great option if you want to relax in style.
- The Marincanto offers views with added chic, with a smart boutique feel, pale decor and an infinity pool with seems to merge with the sea.
For the Beach
- If you’re looking for your own private stretch of beach, Casa Angelina, along from Positano in Praiano is for you. This cool, 39 room designer hotel has minimalist decor in the rooms, suites and cottages - some with sea-facing balconies. There’s also a fantastic spa and restaurant.
Great For families
- Villa La Tartana is perfect if you prefer a small hotel, there are just ten rooms and one family sized apartment, but it's proportions are generous. Just like the breakfasts served on the terrace.
- Miramare is another good choice for families - though you need a head for heights, the private beach is 210 steps below the glassed-in breakfast terrace.
- The four room Villa Yiara is a chic and charming B&B with yellow and white decor and magnificent views from private terraces. Some rooms have baths or hot tubs too. Rooms start from around £100 per night.
- The Villa Rosa's 12 rooms have some of the very best Mediterranean views imaginable, from their big balconies which you're able to take you breakfast from. Rooms are large and white, with aquamarine tiles on the floor. Rooms start from around £105 per night.
For an Apartment or Villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com
- Naples Airport is the closest airport to Positano, and is about an hour and 15minutes drive away. If you chose not to book a car or a transfer from the airport you can also travel on to Positano on the bus, via Sorrento. Or you can catch the ferry from Naples - weather permitting.
- If you want to hire a car - which we strongly advise if you’re staying in Positano and you want to see more of the Amalfi Coast - we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Despite summer being one of the most popular times to visit, Positano is very hot in July and August, so if you have a choice about when to travel you might want to opt for May, June or September.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay on the Amalfi Coast,
- Or our Guru’s recommendations for the best hotels for views on the Amalfi Coast,
- Or consider nearby Sorrento?
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Positano
Best Hotels in Positano
Villa La Tartana Positano 9 rooms from £113Local exploring - Right next to the church of Santa Maria Assunta, minutes from the beach and the shorefront bars and restaurants.Sights nearby - Don't miss a trip to the World Heritage Site Pompeii.Sailing - Charter a boat to take you up the Amalfi Coast.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
A handsome Positano townhouse with enchanting bedrooms and one apartment. Freshly decorated in whites and blues, pretty ceramic wall lights, painted bedheads and private balconies. Excellent breakfasts on the terrace. A cool sanctuary to start the day in before heading to the beach. See More
Villa Mary Suites Positano 5 rooms from £134Local exploring - Ideally located to explore Positano itself along with the Amalfi Coast.Sights nearby - Discover the fascinating archeological areas of Pompeii and Herculaneum.Sailing - Rent a boat and explore the picturesque Amalfi coast.Views - Great views from hotel
An elegant B&B offering fabulous views across Positano and the coast. A handful of individually styled rooms are traditionally dressed with polished wooden floors, crisp white linen and french doors leading onto private balconies. Ideally positioned for exploring Positano, the beaches and beyond. See More
Casa Buonocore Positano 6 rooms from £139Local exploring - Located in the centre of Positano within minutes of the beach and other sightsBeach Life - A 5 minute walk away from Positano's Spiaggia Grande BeachGreat walks - Hike through the well known trail 'The Path of the Gods' with breathtaking viewsLocal markets - Next door to a number of restaurants and shopsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Palazzo Murat Positano 31 rooms from £156Local exploring - Located steps from the Piazzetta dei Mulini and the Spiaggia Grande, right in the heart of PositanoFoodies - Sample exquisite dishes from the Amalfi Coast in the elegant restaurantSights nearby - Situated in the centre of Positano, close to all the major attractionsSwimming Pool - Pool with stunning viewsRecommended by - CN Traveller
Il Moro di Positano 84017 Positano SA 6 rooms from £159Local exploring - A great spot for exploring the surrounding town and various beaches and towns along the lovely Amalfi coastSights nearby - Visit the other charming towns of the Amalfi Coast such as Furore, Sorrento, Amalfi and PraianoRomantic - Good for couples.Views - Great views from hotel
A lovely terraced hotel with stunning views of the sea. Interiors are smart and simple, while rooms have a Mediterranean palette of sea-blue and yellows, pretty tiled floors, whitewashed walls and the small balconies benefit from those views. An easy and relaxing, sun-drenched, base. See More
Marincanto Positano 26 rooms from £178Foodies - The restaurant serves up a modern twist on traditional Amalfi dishes and is utterly exquisiteRomantic Break - Sun, sea, gorgeous views and romantic settings for diningBeach Life - A stone's throw from the Lido l'Encanto beachSights nearby - Spend a day marvelling at the UNESCO Heritage Site Pompeii.Recommended by - Michelin Travel, Great Small Hotels
A smart boutique hotel with friendly staff. Picture-perfect views from the beautiful terrace and private balconies. Bedrooms decorated in whites, creams and pastels are utterly chic. The infinity pool provides a place of tranquility as it merges with the cobalt blue of the sea. A romantic spot. See More
Villa Yiara Positano 4 rooms from £191Local exploring - Positano Town Hall is a moments away and there's a wide option of scenic day trips to nearby townsFoodies - The best restaurants and bars in Positano are within walking distanceBeach Life - The picturesque Fornillo Beach is 800m from the hotelGreat walks - Walking trails link Positano to neighbouring coastal towns
Hotel Poseidon Positano 50 rooms from £200Total relaxation - With spectacular views, a Turkish bath built into the rocks and a wellness centre, this is perfect for a rejuvenating stayLocal exploring - Perfectly positioned to access all that the Amalfi coast has to offer from ancient sites to gorgeous beachesSights nearby - Explore the Amalfi Coast, plus Pompeii, Naples and VesuviusSwimming Pool - Outdoor PoolRecommended by - CN Traveller
A beautiful Mediterranean villa in central Positano overlooking the beach below. Traditional and romantic rooms and suites with tiled floors, white washed walls, and private balconies. Excellent swimming pool and bar, restaurant, and wellness centre. Relaxation in a busy spot. See More
Miramare Positano 16 rooms from £202Families - The spacious apartments are the perfect base for families and groups, plus they're within walking distance of the beach.Great walks - Take a stroll through this charming town, wander the narrow streets and lanes to discover fantastic bars and restaurants.Sailing - Charter a boat and head up the Amalfi coast, a perfect day trip for couples or families.Local markets - The area around the hotel boasts many great shops, selling local wares.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
A gem perched above the town with breathtaking views. The apartments are a great choice for families or groups. The bedrooms have warm terracotta floors, antique furniture and attractive bathrooms. The glassed-in terrace for breakfast is magical. The beach is a 210 step climb down. See More
Villa Rosa, Positano Positano 12 rooms from £226Total relaxation - A serene 150 year old villa, with comfortable and elegant rooms, a peaceful garden, sunny terrace and proximity to the beach.Sights nearby - Spend a day exploring Pompeii, a must see.Sailing - Take a boat trip up the Amalfi coast.Boutique
A delightful villa featuring bougainvillea covered terraces, with unbeatable views of the Mediterranean. Large delightfully decorated bedrooms in white and pastels, with aquamarine tiled floors. Enormous private balconies make the perfect place for breakfast. An utterly charming spot. See More
La Casa di Peppe Positano 6 rooms from £239Hideaway - A small property overlooking the coast offering a totally secluded spotKayaking - Hire a kayak and explore the picturesque coast from the sea.Diving - Scuba dive from the Diving Center Amalfi Coast.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
A boutique property set against a cliff and offering glorious views of the Amalfi coast. A handful of rooms are classically dressed with tiled floors, simple furniture and pops of colour from the fabrics. Indulge in some of the numerous activities available or simply hide away in this tranquil spot. See More
Villa Franca Positano 37 rooms from £243Hideaway - A peaceful hilltop property, away from the crowds of the coastal strip, with clean cut suites and wrought iron balconies.Cooking classes - Take a master class in traditional cuisine with the hotel chef.Swimming Pool - Rooftop Pool with amazing views over the Amalfi CoastSailing - Experience the Amalfi coast in style on a speedboat.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Truly sublime views of Positano and beyond from this 5* hotel's hilltop perch. Romantic rooms in chic whites and creams with tiled mosaics and wonderful sea views from private balconies. The roof top terrace and swimming pool are equally magnificent. A great choice for romantics. See More
Covo dei Saraceni Positano 66 rooms from £364Total relaxation - Offering fabulous sea views of the harbour. The swimming pool has a serious view too. This is a tough spot to leave.Sailing - Discover the coast of Amalfi and Sorrento on the hotel's own yacht.Sights nearby - Visit the Duomo in Positano, complete with stunning majolica dome.Restrictions on children - Children over 4 are welcome
A perfectly typical Mediterranean property boasting glorious views over Positano and the bay. Individually styled rooms are mostly classic in style however the very best are recently renovated and contemporary. The rooftop pool is the real crowning glory, the perfect spot for a sundowner. See More
Hotel Le Agavi 84017 Positano SA 55 rooms from £383Beach Life - Perched on the cliffside, guests can descend steps or take a funicular to access a private beach, ideal for an easy seaside staySights nearby - Head to the charming town of Positano just 15 minutes away, and beautiful Sorrento also close bySwimming Pool - Outdoor poolDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
A stunning cliffside hotel with a private beach, lovely pool terrace and restaurants. Chic interiors are light and breezy with stylish fittings and a fresh palette of white, blue and gold. Bright rooms with terraces are done in blue, patterned fabrics and fun tiling. A real seaside gem! See More
Il San Pietro di Positano Positano 60 rooms from £390Foodies - There's no less than three restaurants here, one of which holds a Michelin star, this is Italian dining at its bestTennis - Featuring what must be one of the world's most impressive courts, offering that famous view of PositanoBeach Life - Boasting the only private beach in Positano5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux, CN Traveller
Le Sirenuse Positano 58 rooms from £519Romantic Break - A fabulous and sophisticated break for two, with sumptuous suites, black-sand beaches and sparkling sun terraces.Foodies - La Sponda restaurant holds one Michelin Star and is lit every evening by 400 candles.Swimming Pool - Beautiful Outdoor Pool.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection
Villa Magia Positano 13 rooms from £703Romantic Break - With luxurious rooms, couples' massages, and romantic dining, this is ideal for a break for twoBeach Life - Well positioned just a 10 minute walk from the beautiful Fornillo beachFamilies - The suite with two rooms makes this a convenient choice for familiesSailing - Enjoy a day exploring the Amalfi Coast on a luxury Abbate Primatist G46 speedboat or a traditional Fratelli Aprea gozzo boatRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
A superb boutique hotel with stunning sea views. Individually styled rooms vary in design and size but all feature whitewashed walls, terraces, and chic modern art. The best have traditionally tiled floors. With a spa, three pools, private boat charter, and fine dining - this one is hard to beat. See More
Villa TreVille Positano 15 rooms from £898Romantic Break - A beautiful all suites property with stunning interiors and a hideaway location. Pure luxury and romanceBeach Life - Guests can enjoy a private beachHoneymoonsSights nearby - Explore the villages along the stunning Amalfi CoastRecommended by - CN Traveller
Set on a cliff on the Amalfi Coast, Villa TreVille is an opulent estate with rooms and suites overlooking the Tyrrhenian Sea. Villas are adorned with ornate tiles and marble fittings, and guests have a private beach at their disposal. An Italian paradise with the atmosphere of a private home. See More