Search the best hotels in Fujikawaguchiko
Nestling in a picturesque setting beside Lake Kawaguchiko, Fujikawaguchiko is a hot spring resort town offering a wealth of activities to culture-vultures and spa-enthusiasts alike. With a treasure trove of museums, chic art galleries, onsen (hot spring baths) and miles and miles of gorgeous landscape, it is an oasis of respite and art. Check out our collection of the best places to stay in Fujikawaguchiko to find out more!
In the shadow of the snow-crowned Mount Fuji, the town sits in a dramatic and breathtaking setting. Surrounded by hills bearded with maple trees and cherry blossom, throughout the year the area swims effortlessly with enchanting natural beauty: in the autumn, the colours of the leaves are red, gold and brown, while in the springtime - when the cherry blossom blooms into view - the area is pink with flowers. On the lake, little boats float silently through the waters, with visitors taking guided boat tours of Lake Fuji.
Strolling aimlessly around the town and the surrounding area is a well worth making time for. The large public gardens and open-air museums like the Kawaguchiko Music Forest - a museum dedicated to automated musical instruments - are fascinating stops. If you have the strength to climb Mt. Fuji, you will see the whole area sweep before your feet, full of colour and light.
The museum and gallery scene here is quite extraordinary. At the Kawaguchiko Museum of Art, you will find excellent displays of contemporary art and photography from both Japanese and international artists; at the Itchiku Kubota Art Museum, on the other hand, you will come face-to-face with an amazing array of dye works. Dyeing crafts, while once a dying craft, has been saved from extinction by a local artist and it is a fantastic place to wander after a long day spent in an onsen.
What not to miss
- Take a guided boat tour of the lake.
- Relax in the hot bubbles of a traditional Japanese onsen.
- Drink in the glory of the cherry blossom in spring and the maple trees in autumn.
- Check out the local arts scene at either Kawaguchiko Museum of Art or the Itchiku Kubota Art Museum.
- Buy some herbs and teas at the Herb Hall.
- Get yourself some aromatic oils at the Perfume Hall.
- Climb Mt. Fuji and marvel at the landscape sweeping before your feet.
A place of calm, respite and enchanting natural beauty, Fujikawaguchiko is the ideal holiday destination for couples looking for the ultimate romantic break. Browse through the best places to stay in Fujikawaguchiko to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Fujikawaguchiko
Value for money
- Tominoko Hotel: a cool and contemporary hotel offering Western-style rooms with gorgeous views of the lake and mountains, boasting a hot spring bath and a buffet restaurant. Ideal for young people looking to save some money.
- Kozantei Ubuya: a contemporary Japanese inn blending traditional and modern styles, offering chic rooms adorned with tatami matting, roll-up futon bedding and floor-level tables for dining. Relax in their onsen or enjoy a generous breakfast at the restaurant.
- Fuji Lake Hotel: a luxury property on the banks of Lake Kawaguchiko, offering light and airy rooms with their own hot spring baths. Dine out at the fabulous gourmet restaurant or relax in the spa. Divine!
- Fujikawaguchiko Onsen Konanso: a contemporary ryokan offering gorgeous views of Mount Fuji, offering both Western and traditional Japanese-style rooms complete with hot spring baths and private terraces, as well as an excellent restaurant. An oasis of tranquillity.
- Shuhokaku Kogetsu: perched on a hill, this hotel blends chic style with traditional Japanese aesthetic. The rooms are adorned with tatami mats and futon bedding, the spa is indulgent and pampering and the restaurant is fantastic. Japanese hospitality at its finest!
- Fuji Onsenji Yumedono: a luxury ryokan combining traditional styles with contemporary comforts, offering rooms with chic design and their own hot spring baths, where you can dine in private in traditional Japanese style! An effortlessly cool and idiosyncratic experience.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Only 56 miles from Tokyo Haneda Airport. Take the train from Tokyo's Shinjuku Station to Otsuki, where you can get a connection to Kawaguchiko Station.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is during the summer when the temperature ranges between 13 and 27 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include all our properties in Tokyo.
- Browse through the best places to stay in Japan.
- Or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Fujikawaguchiko
Best Hotels in Fujikawaguchiko
Ashiwada Hotel Ryokan Fujikawaguchiko 40 rooms from £90Back to Nature - Ashiwada Hotel Ryokan boasts a scenic location in the Mount Fuji areaFishing - Find a quiet spot along the banks of the lake and enjoy some fishingSailing - The hotel can arrange for you to take a boat out sailingTennis - There are courts located nearby
Ashiwada Hotel Ryokan boasts a wonderful location by Lake Kawaguchi outside the city of Nagahama. Offers accommodation in a Japanese style (think tatami flooring and futon bedding), Western style or a fusion of the two. Enjoy superb kaiseki cuisine in their restaurant! A lovely and relaxing stay. See More
Tominoko Hotel Fujikawaguchiko (Minami-tsurugun) from £116Local exploring - A lakeside property with easy access to the region's many attractions.Restaurant - Buffet breakfast and lunch is served in the Dining room.Sights nearby - Make a trip to the historical Fuji Omuro Sengen Shrine.Sailing - Take a scenic cruise on Lake Kawaguchi-ko.
A smart hotel boasting spectacular views of Mount Fuji and Lake Kawaguchi. Western styled rooms feature sink-into beds, large windows and terraces to enjoy the views from. Dine in the buffet restaurant and unwind in the hot spring bath. Ideally located to explore the region. See More
Kozantei Ubuya Fujikawaguchiko (Yamanashi) 51 rooms from £137Total relaxation - Experience luxury Japanese service at the foot of Mount Fuji.Restaurant - Breakfast is served in the dining room with a traditional kaiseki multi-course dinner and seasonal local dishes for dinner.Great walks - Enjoy picturesque walks along the lakeshore starting straight from the hotel.Sights nearby - Five minute drive from Kawaguchiko Museum of Art
A contemporary Japanese inn sat on the shores of Lake Kawaguchi and overlooking Mount Fuji. Design is both sleek and modern while being heavily influenced by traditional styles. Rooms are mainly Japanese with roll down futons, floor level tables for dining and tatami mats. Fabulous. See More
Fuji Lake Hotel Fujikawaguchiko (Minamitsuru-gun,Yamanashi-ken) 74 rooms from £250Back to Nature - Overlooking Lake Kawaguchiko and Mount Fuji.Restaurant - Japanese & Western style cuisine are served plus a buffet for breakfast.Great walks - Take a gentle stroll along the Lake Kawaguchi shore.Sights nearby - Visit the striking Fuji Omuro Sengen Shrine.
A luxury property sat on the shores of Lake Kawaguchiko and overlooking Mount Fuji. Light and airy rooms are a mix of Western and Japanese styles and each boasts its own hot spring bath. Complete with restaurant serving regional dishes, spa and observation deck to admire the spectacular views. See More
Fujikawaguchiko Onsen Konanso Fujikawaguchiko (Minamitsuru-gun, Yamanashi) 51 rooms from £309Total relaxation - A luxury property overlooking Mount Fuji. The ideal spot to completely unwind.Sailing - Take a scenic cruise on Lake Kawaguchi.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.
A contemporary Ryokan boasting spectacular views of Mount Fuji. Offering both Western and traditional Japanese rooms complete with hot water spring baths, private terraces and chic clean design. Feast on traditional Japanese course cuisine made with seasonal produce. Utterly relaxing. See More
Shuhokaku Kogetsu Fujikawaguchiko (Kawaguchi) from £309Total relaxation - A tranquil lakeside hotel and spa. Ideal for completely relaxing.Great walks - Set out straight from the property and stroll around the picturesque lake.Traditional - Ryokan in the style of a typical Japanese Inn.Sights nearby - Visit the historical Fujiomuro Sengen Shrine.
A chic property perched on a hill with spectacular views of Mount Fuji. Rooms are traditional in style with tatami mats, roll down futons and the best have outdoor foot spas. Indulgent hot spring baths and a spoiling spa are utterly pampering. The ideal spot to completely unwind. See More
Fuji Onsenji Yumedono Fujikawaguchiko (Minamitsuru-gun Yamanashi) 6 rooms from £412Total relaxation - Feast on Japanese cuisine, soak in hot springs, sleep in luxury accommodation and gaze onto the iconic sight of Mount Fuji.Great walks - Take a stroll along the shores of Lake Kawaguchi.Swimming Pool - No pool, but Private outdoor hot spring bath.Traditional - Ryokan, traditional japanese inn.
A luxury ryokan boasting epic views of Mount Fuji. Rooms mix traditional and contemporary styles and are in every way indulgent: private hot spring baths, paper shutters, sink-into beds and endless space. Dine in Japanese style (in room) and spend days exploring the region. Fabulous. See More
Hoshinoya Fuji Fujikawaguchiko 40 rooms from £864Back to Nature - Boasting a secluded woodland setting complete with views of Mount Fiji, this is the perfect retreat to natureRestaurant - Serving fabulous French inpsired dishes with most of the ingredients coming from the surrounding countryside.Kayaking - Canoe on the nearby lake and admire the spectacular views of Mount FijiGreat walks - Explore the geological wonders around Mount Fiji on a guided walk
A striking design hotel offering an unbeatable location deep in the woodlands with views of Mount Fiji. Interiors are spacious and contemporary with the minimalist design highlighting the epic views. Rooms are individual cabins giving complete quiet and privacy. A luxury nature escape. See More