Search the best hotels in Hokkaidō
Hokkaidō is almost the polar opposite of Tokyo. Here there are few people and lots and lots of gorgeous space, great swathes of semi-explored wilderness on a volcanic bed, which means bright caldera lakes, bubbling natural springs and dramatic topography. Which also happens to be some of Japan’s best skiing terrain.
In winter the best places to stay in Hokkaidō are probably around Niseko, but in the spring and summer the island is covered in a bright carpet of wildflowers, and the best places to stay in Hokkaidō are probably those closest to the national parks and great lakes. Hokkaidō isn’t just great for skiers, it’s also an amazing backdrop against which to walk, cycle, sail, canoe or relax.
What not to Miss
- Hokkaidō’s Daisetsuzan National Park is Japan’s largest national park, a vast wilderness or soaring mountains, active volcanoes and cooling volcanic lakes. The forests are lush and dense and there’s natural hot springs aplenty, but this region is relatively unexplored. If you do visit stay in a traditional ryokan to really get the most out of the onsen (hot-springs) experience.
- Speaking of onsen Noboribetsu Onsen is one of the best known of Hokkaidō natural onsen, and the mineral-rich waters seep up into countless springs, with a sulphur smell you can smell a long way off.
- And if we’re speaking of wilderness then Shiretoko National Park is the real thing, a peninsula on the edge of Japan, and a true area of wilderness - UNESCO has Heritage Listed it. If you’re coming to Hokkaidō to walk then this is a destination to head for.
- Akan National Park is a bit easier and more accessible, though, and still a very beautiful choice. Hokkaidō really spoils you for beautiful natural choices.
- Mashū-ko, which once held the record for being the world’s clearest lake, is another…
- And you’ll even find beautiful, natural scenery in the cities: if you visit Hakodate you must summit Hakodate-yama for the famous view - it’s especially beautiful at night.
- Hokkaidō is also well known and appreciated for its seafood. And it has some fantastic fish markets. And some glorious temples. But they’re all somewhat overshadowed by the island’s natural drama and colour.
Book ahead to avoid disappointment - the best places to stay in Hokkaidō get booked up well in advance.
The Best Places to Stay in Hokkaidō
The Best Ski Hotels
- Chalet Ivy is in Hirafu’s Upper Village, close to the slopes. There are 266 chic, boutique-style rooms, decorated in pale colours so as not to distract from the views. The Chalet has its own hot springs too.
- The Hotel Niseko Alpen is a stylish, contemporary hotel with superb access to the slopes and simply styled rooms with huge windows. The restaurant serves regional delicacies and there’s an excellent onsen. And luxurious bathrooms.
- Ki Niseko is a sleek, boutique property right by the slopes with contemporary white-on-white decor, clean lines and luxurious bathrooms. And fantastic mountain views perfectly framed by the unfussy decor. There’s an elegant Japanese restaurant and rooms start from around £140 per night.
- The Snow Crystal Apartments are a short walk from the ski lifts, and designed with a minimalist approach throughout. There’s a sophisticated concierge team, and it feels like a chic choice.
- The Green Leaf Village has an unbeatable spot right at the base of Mount Niseko Annupuri, so you can ski-in and ski-out to some of Japan’s best skiing terrain. In the evening you could relax in the spa or in the glamorous bar. There are 200 rooms, all of them chic and comfortable, and they start from around £110 per night.
- Shiki Niseko is a mid-sized hotel in Upper Hirafu Village, offering accommodation in rooms, suites or apartments. All just a short distance from the slopes. The food is good, it’s great for families and its ‘look’ is smart and stylish.
The Best Rural Stays
- Daiichi Takimotokan Ryokan is a short distance from Noboribetsu, but beautifully positioned in amongst the views of this geothermal region. This is a large resort, with around 400 rooms in a range of styles from very traditional to very Western. They have seven baths - all promising different things.
- Bourou Noguchi Noboribetsu is an adults only property in the beautiful countryside just outside Noboribetsu. There are just 40 suites, with large windows and wooden floors. There’s also a traditional Japanese restaurant and a Korean-style stone sauna.
The Best for Natural Treasures
- The Windsor Toya Resort and Spa is in the luscious countryside around Lake Toya, which is ripe for relaxing against, or really exploring. This is a big resort with all the facilities you might need and more, and the views are stunning.
- The Lake View Toya Nonokaze Resort is also right beside Lake Toya, and the views from its 111 rooms and suites are incredible. The decor is chic and contemporary and they have a wonderful open-air bath, two restaurants and their own duty-free shops.
- The Hakodate Onuma Prince Hotel is a large hotel within the border of the Onuma Quasi-National Park, and offers chic yet unfussy accommodation. There are around 300 rooms, so the complimentary buffet breakfast needs to be big - and it is rather splendid. You can start walking right out of the hotel’s door.
- Akan Yuku no Sato is on the other side of Hokkaidō, on the shores of Lake Akan. The views are spectacular here too, and there are 233 Japanese-style rooms and suites, all with great views and with generous proportions. There’s also a great seafood restaurant.
For Shikotsu Toya National Park
- Kitayuzawa More No Soraniwa is only a minute from the park, with 230 rooms decorated in a style which fuses traditional Japanese inn decor and Western comforts. Wonderful for hikers.
For Traditional Japanese Accommodation
- On the coast outside Hakodate, Kappo Ryokan Wakamatsu is a 24 room inn with charming traditional features and beautiful detail. there’s a splendid milts-course Kaiseki menu in their restaurant and the baths are quite something.
- Nakamuraya Ryokan is a traditional ryokan in downtown Sapporo. Though as well as the woven mat flooring and futons the rooms also have air conditioning. And there’s a spacious 24hour bath. There are just 26 rooms, the food is traditional too - and excellent, and it’s friendly.
- Oyado Kiyomizuya is a 42 room ryokan a short distance from Noboribetsu, They have a public bath, which is open 24hours a day, and a splendid Japanese restaurant.
- Noboribetsu Sekisuo Tei is a 248 room hotel in Noboribetsu, with a variety of traditional Japanese accommodation - think futons and tatami mats, and more Western style rooms. It also has three hot-spring baths and a sauna.
- The Noboribetsu Grand Hotel also offers both traditional Japanese and Western style rooms, this time in a beautiful spot surrounded by countryside and carefully arranged gardens. You’re close to Noboribetsu Bear Park and Lake Kuttara, and it’s a really good choice for families.
- If you’re hoping for tatami mats, simplicity and lots of opportunities to walk, Yumoto Noboribetsu might be for you. You’re located between Noboribetsu city and the countryside - close to the Hiyoriyama and Shihorei mountains. The 95 unfussy rooms all have their own fridge, but the restaurant is lovely too.
To Stay in Sapporo
- On the 23rd and 24th floors of the JR Tower, the JR Tower Hotel Nikko Sapporo is a fantastic place to stay if you value your view. The interiors and unfussy - designed to emphasise peace and tranquillity, and the French, and Japanese, restaurants are excellent.
- La Vista Hakodate Bay is a contemporary design means Art Deco masterpiece with 356 rooms and suites. You’re right on the water and in the heart of Sapporo.
To Stay in Niseko
- A few miles outside Niseko is Zaborin, a boutique collection of 15 villas built directly over the Zabo natural spring. The villas offer minimalist chic decor and stunning views. There’s a fantastic traditional restaurant serving local cuisine.
- Grandpapa looks very European, with its Tudor-esque design, but this family-owned hotel is quite Japanese inside, complete with an onsen and a karaoke bar. The accommodation is simple and good value, with 19 rooms and a common area for socialising. Rooms start from around £75 per night.
- The Nozomi View Apartments is another great value option in Niseko. These apartments come complete with well equipped modern kitchens and floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the mountains. Plus you’re steps from the nearest ski-lift. Adults only.
To Stay in Hakodate
- Bourou Noguchi, in downtown Hakodate, has 79 rooms in styles ranging from traditional Japanese to Western. There are rooftop open-air baths and an excellent restaurant. This is an upmarket option but well worth it.
To Stay in Noboribetsu
- Bourou Noguchi Noboribetsu is an adults only property in the beautiful countryside just outside Noboribetsu. There are just 40 suites, with large windows and wooden floors. There’s also a traditional Japanese restaurant and a Korean-style stone sauna.
For an Apartment or Villa
- The most common way for international visitors to arrive on Hokkaidō is via New Chitose Airport just outside Sapporo.
- If you’re thinking about hiring a car we recommend checking what our online partners, Rentalcars have to offer.
- Hokkaidō is very much a year-round holiday destination as far as Japanese visitors are concerned. This is where much of Japan’s best skiing is found, so it’s popular in winter, but it’s also appreciated for its natural beauty, so spring and autumn are also very popular - especially cherry blossom season, which is early May, and the autumn colours in October are quite something. And summer is warm, sunny, and very, very colourful - the wildflowers here are spectacular.
Still not sure?
- Refine your search to the best places to stay in Niseko?
- Or the best places to stay in Sapporo, or Hakodate?
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Hokkaidō
Best Hotels in Hokkaidō
Grandpapa Niseko (Kutchan-chō, Abuta-gun) 19 rooms from £75Restaurant - Swiss cuisine, complete with cheese fondue & BBQ facilities available outdoors.Great walks - During the summer months explore the area's beautiful mountain hikesRemote - Off the beaten track.
The family-owned Grandpapa offers unfussy accommodation in the ski town of Niseko. Each room comes with a TV and wifi, there's also a common area for socialising in the evenings, karaoke breaks the ice! Unwind in the Yukoro Onsen hot spring located just next-door! A simplistic & very friendly spot. See More
Nozomi Views Apartments Niseko (Hokkaido) from £93Skiing - A short walk from the Ace Family Lift at Niseko Grand Hirafu Ski Area.Active Holiday - A chic base with easy access to Niseko's numerous outdoor pursuits.Restrictions on children - Adult only.Views - Great views from hotel
A collection of chic apartments with spectacular mountain views. Open plan lounges feature polished wooden floors, well equipped modern kitchens and floor to ceiling windows. Rooms are contemporary and cosy. Just steps from the nearest ski-lift. A smart property, ideal for outdoor enthusiasts. See More
Hakodate Onuma Prince Hotel Kameda-gun, Hokkaidō 292 rooms from £95Restaurant - Viking restaurantoffers a buffet with a variety of Japanese and Western dishes.Great walks - Head off around Onuma on any number of wonderful hiking trailsSecluded setting - For escaping.
Hakodate Onuma Prince Hotel enjoys a tranquil location in Onuma Quasi-National Park. Offering chic yet unfussy accommodation, the hotel also serves up a splendid buffet breakfast each morning to set you up for the day-not to be missed out on! Get back in touch with nature at this great-value spot. See More
The Green Leaf Village Niseko (Higashiyama Onsen) 200 rooms from £111Skiing - The area is renowned as the powder mecca of Japan (there's miles of pistes too) and the hotel boasts ski-in ski-out access.Active Holiday - Find access to year round activities from skiing to hiking.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.
A contemporary property located at the base of Mount Niseko Annupuri. Offering ski-in ski-out access to some of Japan's best skiing. Spend evenings unwinding with a cocktail in the glamourous bar or being pampered in the spa. The service is slick and rooms boast simple chic design. Superb. See More
Shiki Niseko Niseko (Yamada) 68 rooms from £123Great walks - During the summer months go off hiking around Niseko's mountainsSecluded setting - For escaping.BoutiqueRestaurant - Recommended.
Located in the heart of Upper Hirafu Village, Shiki Niseko offers spacious and contemporary accommodation just a short distance from the slopes. The property offers a range of apartments for groups or families and serves up wonderful cuisine! Car rentals can be organised. A smart and stylish spot. See More
Yumoto Noboribetsu Noboribetsu (Noboribetsu-shi) 95 rooms from £124Fishing - If you fancy a relaxing afternoon then head over to Lake Kuttara which is renowned for its salmon fishingGreat walks - Go for a scenic hike around the dramatic Jigokudani (Hell Valley) volcanic crater!Sights nearby - Be sure to visit Noboribetsu Bear Park!Restaurant - Serving Japanese cuisine.
Yumoto Noboribetsu is ideally situated between Noboribetsu city and the countryside. Each room features Tatami flooring and comes with its own refrigerator as well as a safe. Enjoy lovely meals in their restaurant. Head off hiking up the Hiyoriyama or Shihorei mountains. An unfussy stay. See More
Cross Hotel Sapporo Sapporo 181 rooms from £101Local exploring - Set a five-minute walk from the main station, this hotel makes a great base for local sightseeing in the cityRomantic Break - With a romantic guest-only lounge and observation deck, book this hotel for your next couples' city breakCity Style - With contemporary interiors and a central city location, book this hotel for local Sapporo charmSights nearby - Visit the Sapporo TV Tower located close to the hotel and head up to the top for great views from the observation deck
This sleek city bolt-hole is located in central Sapporo, Japan - five minutes' walk from JR Sapporo Station. Stylish suites are zoned by wooden screens and feature cosy soft furnishings and contemporary artwork. Head to the top floor lounge for skyline views after drinks at the romantic bar. See More
Noboribetsu Sekisui Tei Noboribetsu (Noboribetsu-shi) 248 rooms from £130No petsFishing - If you fancy a relaxing afternoon then head on over to Lake Kuttara which is renowned for its salmon fishingBack to Nature - a 15-minute walk from the Jigokudani Valley, tumbling waterfalls, very picturesque.Great walks - Go for a scenic hike around the dramatic Jigokudani (Hell Valley) volcanic crater!
Noboribetsu Sekisui Tei is situated in Noboribetsu, 20 minutes from the station. Offering a variety of traditional Japanese accommodation (think woven-straw flooring with futon bedding) and Western-style rooms, the property also boasts 3 hot-spring baths and a sauna. A smart and relaxing stay! See More
Aya Niseko Niseko (Hokkaido) 79 rooms from £105Foodies - This area attracts lots of gastro-tourism; this hotel makes a great base for foodies looking to explore local food cultureActive Holiday - Sitting at the base of one of Niseko Grand Hirafu’s most popular ski runs, book this hotel for an active skiing breakRomantic Break - With luxurious suites, a romantic open-air bath and sauna facilities, book this hotel for a hideaway couples' holidaySkiing - The hotel offers ski-in, ski-out access, perfect for a skiing break; ski storage is also available for guest use
This hotel offers a contemporary ski-in, ski-out experience in Niseko. Guest apartments are stylish and inviting, with soft lighting and wooden accents set off by chocolate and pastel teal hues. Soak in the hotel's open-air bath, the ideal place to relax after a day on the slopes. See More
Nakamuraya Ryokan Sapporo (Hokkaido Prefecture) 26 rooms from £134Sights nearby - Check out the historic Former Hokkaidō Government Office buildingGreat walks - Take a stroll through the Hokkaido University's Botanic GardenTraditionalQuirky - An experience!
Nakamuraya Ryokan is a traditional Japanese inn located in downtown Sapporo. The air-conditioned rooms have woven-straw floors and futon bedding whilst there's also a spacious 24 hour bath to relax in. Enjoy meals served in a true Ryokan style with plenty of small dishes. A unique and friendly spot! See More
Noboribetsu Grand Hotel Noboribetsu 261 rooms from £137Restaurant - Fresh local seasonal ingredients, including tempura and seafood are served at the dinner buffet.Great walks - Go for a scenic hike around the dramatic Jigokudani (Hell Valley) volcanic crater!Fishing - Head over to Lake Kuttara which is renowned for its salmon fishingSights nearby - Be sure to visit the Noboribetsu Bear Park!
Surrounded by luscious countryside, Noboribetsu Grand Hotel offers both traditional Japanese-style accommodation (woven-straw floors and futon beds) and Western-style rooms. Make the most out of your location to reconnect with the natural world! Half-board dining. A great family country retreat. See More
Kitayuzawa Mori no Soraniwa Onsen-cho, Hokkaidō 230 rooms from £141Back to Nature - Kitayuzawa Mori no Soraniwa is located just ten minutes away from Shikotsu Toya National ParkGreat walks - With such lovely scenery all around there are plenty of beautiful hiking trails to exploreSights nearby - Go visit Date's historic Zenkoji TempleRestaurant - Western and Japanese dishes are served.
Located a minute away from Shikotsu Toya National Park, Kitayuzawa Mori no Soraniwa offers accommodation fusing Western-style beds with tatami (woven-straw) seating areas. Each room comes with its own TV as well as a refrigerator. Bask in the sun as you relax by the pool! See More
Ki Niseko Niseko from £142Active Holiday - Just steps from the slopes and with a host of outdoor pursuits on offer.Skiing - Niseko boasts superb powder skiing and miles of pisted slopes.Fishing - In the summer.Views - Great views from hotel
A sleek boutique property located right on the slopes. Contemporary rooms are white on white with crisp linen, clean lines, luxury bathrooms and windows that perfectly frame the mountain views. Innovative Japanese fare is served in the elegant restaurant. A chic base for adventure holidays. See More
Hotel Niseko Alpen Niseko (Abuta-gun) from £151Active Holiday - The Niseko mountain range is a veritable playground for outdoor enthusiasts.Skiing - Niseko offers some of Japan's finest powder and piste skiing.Swimming Pool - Indoor pool.Secluded setting - For escaping.
A hotel offering the finest Japanese service, contemporary surrounds and access to superb skiing. Rooms are simply styled with expansive windows, luxury bathrooms and crisp white linen. Feast on regional delicacies and unwind in the 'onsen' (healing hot spring water). Ideal for adventure seekers. See More
Daiichi Takimotokan Ryokan Noboribetsu (Noboribetsuonsenchō) 399 rooms from £195Great walks - Head off hiking around the dramatic Noboribetsu (Hell Valley) with its belching and bubbling geothermal craterBack to Nature - Get out and about in the surrounding countryside or head over to Lake KuttaraRestaurant - Serving an elaborate buffet, European style, or multi course Japanese meal.Sights nearby - Be sure to visit the Noboribetsu Bear Park!
Daiichi Takimotokan Ryokan is situated in rural Hokkaido, a short distance away from Noboribetsu. It boasts traditional Japanese-style accommodation with woven-straw floors and futon beds. Try their seven different bath types which all have unique healing properties! A great choice for families. See More
Windsor Toya Resort and Spa Abuta-gun, Hokkaidō 398 rooms from £195Fishing - If you fancy a relaxing afternoon then head off fishing though you must observe the catch and release ruleGreat walks - Trek around the mountains or take a lesiurely stroll around the banks of Lake ToyaTennis - This property boasts 3 full-size tennis courts and racket rental is availableRestaurant - 2 star french restaurant. Japanese dishes can be enjoyed Arashiyama KitchoRecommended by - Tablet
Windsor Toya Resort and Spa is situated in the luscious countryside surrounding Lake Toya. Their spacious rooms are decorated in light hues and boast floor-to-ceiling windows with spectacular views. Relax with an evening massage or go for a dip in the pool. A truly first-class stay! See More
La Vista Hakodate Bay Hakodate (Hakodate-shi) 356 rooms from £200Great walks - Wander through the city's gorgous botanical gardens or take a stroll around Tachimachi CapeLocal markets - The bustling Hakodate Asaichi (morning market) has a superb range of food stalls to exploreSights nearby - Head over to Kanemori Red Brick Warehouse or go for a ride on the Hakodate RopewayRestaurant - Three dinign options to include Japanese style buffet Breakfast.
The downtown La Vista Hakodate Bay offers contemporary designer art-deco accommodation inspired by the Taisho period. Rooms come equipped with a coffee maker and an en-suite bathroom. If you fancy a novel culinary experience then head over to Hakodate Bay Gourmet Club! An upmarket and stylish spot. See More
The Lake View Toya Nonokaze Resort Hokkaidō 111 rooms from £208Sights nearby - Go see the Sairo Observatory (just a 15 minute drive away) and visit Mount Usu, an active volcanoGreat walks - Head off trekking around the mountains or take a stroll along the banks of the lakeRestaurant - 3 different options of cuisine offering Japanese & French.Views - View sof the beautiful Lake Toya.
The Lake View Toya Nonokaze Resort enjoys a lakeside location and offers chic, contemporary accommodation boasting spectacular views. Unwind in their open air bath and make the most out of the on-site duty-free shops. Enjoy exquisite meals at each of their restaurants. A truly magnificent escape! See More
Akan Yuku No Sato Hokkaido, Hokkaidō 233 rooms from £232Total relaxation - Unwind amongst nature, gaze over the mountains and picturesque lake and relax in a hot spring bath.Great walks - Take a gentle amble along the lake shores.Sights nearby - Visit the stunning Akandake-Jinja Shrine.Full of character
An elegant property situated on the shores of Lake Akan. Expansive rooms enjoy spectacular views and are designed in a traditional Japanese style complete with tatami mats, paper shutters and beds at floor level. The restaurant makes the most of the islands quality seafood. Superb. See More
Bourou Noguchi Hakodate (Yunokawachō) 79 rooms from £235Sights nearby - Be sure to check out Kanemori Red Brick Warehouse and go for a ride on the Hakodate RopewayGreat walks - Take a stroll through the beautiful Hakodate Tropical Botanical GardenViews - Great views from hotelDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
Bourou Noguchi, located in downtown Hakodate, offers a variety of rooms from the traditional Japanese-style to more modern Western types. It boasts rooftop open-air baths and stunning cuisine, whilst you can even request a romantic dinner for two in a private dining room! A superb upmarket city stay See More
Bourou Noguchi Noboribetsu Noboribetsu (Noboribetsu-shi) 40 rooms from £240Great walks - Go for a scenic hike around the dramatic Jigokudani (Hell Valley) volcanic crater!Fishing - Head over to the nearby Lake Kuttara which is renowned for its salmon fishingRestrictions on children - Children older thatn 13 yrs are welcome.Sights nearby - Be sure to visit Noboribetsu Bear Park!
The adult-only Bourou Noguchi is situated in luscious countryside outside Noboribetsu. It offers suites with large windows and wooden floors whilst there's also a restaurant serving traditionally Japanese cuisine. Try out the Korean-style “ganbanyoku” stone sauna! An unfussy and relaxing rural stay. See More
JR Tower Hotel Nikko Sapporo Sapporo (Kita 5, Chuo-ku) 350 rooms from £246Restaurant - 4 dining options, 2 of which are located on the 35th floor with fabulous views.Sights nearby - Be sure to check out the historic Former Hokkaidō Government Office buildingGreat walks - Wander around Hokkaido University's beautiful Botanic GardensViews - Great views from hotel
Located on the 23rd to 34th floors in the JR Tower, this hotel provides chic contemporary accommodation offering splendid views of Sapporo. Wide-view windows with unfussy interiors emphasise peace and tranquility whilst their restaurants serve up stunning French and Japanese cuisine! A top spot. See More
Muse Niseko Niseko (Hokkaido) 9 rooms from £205Active Holiday - Offering secure ski lockers for each apartment in the residents’ ski room, book this hotel for a break on the slopesGroups - These spacious, contemporary apartments with multiple bedrooms and great living spaces are perfect for a group stayFoodies - Located opposite a Michelin-starred restaurant, this hotel is perfectly placed for foodiesSights nearby - Take a day trip to Otaru, a charming nearby town famous for its perfectly preserved historic buildings and irresistible seafood
This boutique hotel is located opposite the Michelin Star restaurant Kamimura on Niseko's popular central promenade. Contemporary guest apartments have stylish wall art and panoramic Mount Yotei views, plus cosy fireplaces. Enrol in ski school with the help of the friendly concierge. See More
Chalet Ivy Niseko (Kutchan-chō, Abuta-gun) 78 rooms from £266Great walks - Head off on a hike around the mountains and take in the spectacular viewsFishing - The Shiribetsu River has renowned fly-fishingDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Views - Great views from hotel
Chalet Ivy, centrally located in Hirafu's Upper Village, offers chic and contemporary boutique accommodation. The stylish rooms are decorated with light hues and each come with a seating area as well as a flat-screen TV. Unwind in the chalet's own natural hot springs! A simply wonderful stay. See More
Snow Crystal Apartments Niseko (Hokkaido) 11 rooms from £274Skiing - Find top-class skiing both on and off piste. Pre- purchase lift passes. Availability for ski storage.Active Holiday - Offering easy access to Niseko's outdoor pursuits.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Contemporary apartments boasting stunning mountain views and located a short walk from the ski lifts. Minimalist design throughout; think plenty of glass, clean lines, soft hues and polished wooden floors. The sophisticated concierge are eager to lend a helping hand. A chic choice. See More
Oyado Kiyomizuya Noboribetsu (Noboribetsu-shi) 42 rooms from £283Back to Nature - Oyado Kiyomizuya enjoys a wonderful location just 15 minutes from Noboribetsu Genshirin primeval forest and near to Lake KuttaraGreat walks - Go hiking around the spectacular Jigokudani (Hell Valley) with its dramatic bubbling geothermal craterFishing - If you fancy a relaxing afternoon then wander over to Lake Kuttara for a spot of fishingSights nearby - Be sure to go visit the Noboribetsu Bear Park!
Situated a short distance from Noboribetsu on the island of Hokkaido, Oyado Kiyomizuya provides traditional Japanese-style accommodation with woven-straw floors and futon beds. Make use of their public bath open 24 hours a day and enjoy splendid Japanese cuisine. An unfussy and relaxing retreat. See More
Yunokawa Prince Hotel Nagisatei Hakodate (Hakodate-shi) 175 rooms from £358Restaurant - Japanese & Western style buffet. The buffet restaurant boasts an open kitchen where chefs prepare tempura in front of guests.Sights nearby - Be sure to go visit the Kanemori Red Brick Warehouse which is full of restaurants and souvenir shopsGreat walks - Take a leisurely stroll through the wonderful Hakodate Tropical Botanical GardensViews - Sea views of Tsugaru Strait or views of Hakodate City.
Situated on Hakodate's coast, Yunokawa Prince Hotel Nagisatei provides traditional Japanese-style accommodation with woven-straw floors and futon beds. The hotel boasts splendid views and their restaurant serves both traditional Japanese and Western style cuisine. A quirky yet top-drawer stay! See More
Kappo Ryokan Wakamatsu Hakodate-shi, Hokkaidō 24 rooms from £454Sights nearby - Be sure to visit the Kanemori Red Brick Warehouse and take a ride on the Hakodate Ropeway for spectacular views of the cityGreat walks - Take a stroll through the beautiful Hakodate Tropical Botanical GardenRestaurant - Delicately prepared Japanese meals.Views - Ocean views.
Kappo Ryokan Wakamatsu is situated on Hakodate's coast and features traditional Japanese-style accommodation with woven-straw flooring and futon beds. The restaurant serves up splendid multi-course Kaiseki cuisine and their baths are the perfect way to relax after a long day. A lovely city stay! See More
Akan Tsuruga Besso Hinanoza Hokkaido, Hokkaidō 25 rooms from £673Total relaxation - Unwind in one of the luxurious suites boasting open air baths.Fishing - Lake Akan is well known for its excellent fishing.Sights nearby - Walking distance from the Akandake-jinja Shrine.Sailing - Take a scenic boat cruise on Lake Akan.
A boutique property comprising of 25 individually designed suites. Rooms are contemporary yet the style is traditional. Find floor to ceiling windows, large terraces with outdoor free standing baths, tatami mats and shoji paper screens besides all the mod-cons. An utterly spoiling stay. See More
Aspect Niseko Niseko (Hokkaido) 11 rooms from £606Active Holiday - With an exclusive ski shuttle service available at the hotel, book this hotel for an active holiday on the slopesFoodies - Foodies are spoiled for choice at this hotel, with the best restaurants in Niseko on the hotel's doorstepFamilies - These luxury apartments are perfect for a family stay, with multiple bedrooms and spacious living areasSights nearby - Head to the 9th-floor open-air onsen at Toya Kohantei for excellent views of Lake Toya, Mount Yotei and Nakajima Island
This luxury bolt-hole offers accommodation on the acclaimed 'Millionaires’ Row' in Hirafu’s Middle Village. Guest apartments boast spacious living areas with floor-to-ceiling windows and spectacular mountain views. Take advantage of the dedicated concierge service for a stress-free stay. See More
Zaborin Niseko (Kutchan-cho) 15 rooms from £996Great walks - Head off on long walks around the area and get back in touch with natureViews - Great views from hotelDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Secluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A few miles outside Niseko, the boutique Zaborin features 15 villas situated directly above the Zabo natural Spring. The villas offer minimalist and chic accommodation boasting wonderful views. Enjoy wonderful traditional local cuisine in their restaurant! A stunning and truly rejuvenating stay. See More