Search the best hotels in Nagasaki
Most commonly associated with its devastating WWII past, Nagasaki is a fascinating city with a far more multi-layered history than most visitors anticipate. Now a thriving modern metropolis, it's a popular business destination as well as a holiday spot for culture-minded visitors or families bound for the quirky nearby Huis Ten Bosch theme park. Accommodation options tend to be located within the city centre or close to the amusement park, with many of the best places to stay in Nagasaki offering flexible options for couples, friends or families.
Set on the western side of Kyushu, Nagasaki was originally a small port town with a long history of international trade. The Portuguese arrived in 1543, followed by the Dutch and the English. The 17th-century Great Fire of Nagasaki destroyed much of the city, but it recovered to become an important point of connection between Japan and the outside world. You’ll find this history reflected at Dejima Museum, the Oura Catholic Church and the Urakami Cathedral. To understand the traumatic impact and aftermath of the events of 9th August 1945, visit the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum and the nearby Nagasaki Peace Park.
Outdoorsy travellers can hike up Mount Inasa for striking views of the city and coastline, stroll through scenic Nabekanmuriyama Park or Glover House & Garden, and cycle around Omura Bay. Big days out at the Huis Ten Bosch theme park, with its life-sized copies of old Dutch buildings, come highly recommended. Some of the best places to stay in Nagasaki are set along the river and leafy gardens of the park itself.
The Best Places to Stay in Nagasaki
For a City Stay
- JR Kyushu Hotel Nagasaki is a smart, affordable hotel next to the train station and the Amu Plaza Nagasaki Shopping Mall. Pick this place for the excellent prices and comfortable, cosy rooms. A great city base for business or leisure.
- Hotel New Nagasaki offers sleek interiors, with both Western and Japanese-style rooms. Feast on Chinese, Japanese and Western cuisine at three elegant restaurants. Meeting rooms and a business centre make this a top spot for a work trip.
- Hotel Monterey Nagasaki showcases the city's long Portuguese influence. The building and interiors were inspired by classic Portuguese style, with antique pieces and decorative tiling. The Italian courtyard restaurant is superb. Another central choice for couples, friends or families.
For a Theme Park Escape
- Hotel Nikko Huis Ten Bosch is an enormous property at the gates of the Huis Ten Bosch theme park. Expect classic rooms with space for families, great restaurants and a buzzy karaoke bar. Very good fun.
- Watermark Hotel Nagasaki Huis Ten Bosch is a grand, waterfront hotel with European-inspired decor, including big sash windows, parquet flooring and chandeliers. Pick this place for its marina views and proximity to the theme park.
- Huis Ten Bosch Forest Villa offers two-bedroom cottages set on the banks of a peaceful canal inside the Huis Ten Bosch Theme Park. Surrounded by flower-filled gardens, these cosy villas have pretty chintz-patterned interiors, waterfront views and sitting rooms for relaxing with family and friends. There's a good restaurant onsite. Idyllic.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY HOUSE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly into Tokyo's Haneda Airport or Narita Airport to catch a connecting flight to Nagasaki Airport. Travel 40 minutes to the city centre by bus or taxi. Most hotels will be happy to arrange an airport pick up.
- You may want to drive if you're exploring Kyushu independently. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the summer, spring or early autumn for the warmest weather, with temperatures of 23 - 30°C. May and September are cooler and quieter.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Kyushu.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Japan.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Nagasaki
Best Hotels in Nagasaki
Jr Kyushu Hotel Nagasaki Nagasaki (Nagasaki-shi) 144 rooms from £60City Style - A stylish city choice, perfect for exploring Nagasaki whilst on business or on a holidayDesigner Shopping - The hotel sits above the Amu Plaza Nagasaki Shopping Mall, perfect for keen shoppersGreat walks - Take a stroll through the scenic Heiwa Park, just a few minutes from the hotelValue chic - A sophisticated hotel in a central location, offering very reasonable rates
A smart hotel conveniently located next to JR Nagasaki Station. Light and airy rooms feature soft hues, crisp white linen and simple dark wooden furniture. Find efficient service and massages on arrangement. With easy access to the city this is an ideal property for both business and leisure. See More
Hotel Nikko Huis Ten Bosch Nagasaki (Sasebo) 388 rooms from £103Short break - Great for an active weekend with family and friends in a verdant location north of Nagasaki cityFamilies - The location within the Huis Ten Bosch theme park makes this brilliant for family holidaysHotel Entertainment - Sing your heart out with family and friends in one of the private karaoke roomsSights nearby - Embark on the hotel's city guided tour to visit numerous historical sights
A grand hotel located at the gates of the Huis Ten Bosch theme park. Elegant rooms are western in style with sash windows, chintz curtains and simple wooden furniture. Dine in the choice selection of restaurants and spend evenings with microphone in hand at the karaoke bar. Perfect for families. See More
Watermark Hotel Nagasaki Huis Ten Bosch Nagasaki (Sasebo,) 228 rooms from £138Active Holiday - Enjoy myriad activities on Omura Bay, cycle along the waterfront and discover the amusement parkFamilies - Situated within Huis Ten Bosch Theme Park, this hotel is ideal for holidays with childrenOther Activities - Adrenaline-seekers of all ages will adore a day at the Huis Ten Bosch Theme ParkCycling - Hire a hotel bike and follow scenic trails around Omura Bay
A grand hotel situated within the Huis Ten Bosch Theme Park and featuring European-inspired architecture. Spacious rooms are light and airy with large sash windows, warm yellow hues and elegant wooden furniture. Sip cocktails in the marina-facing bar and feast on regional dishes. Ideal for families. See More
Hotel Monterey Nagasaki Nagasaki 123 rooms from £142Groups - Quarduple rooms are perfect for groups of friends travelling together, or for families with kids who can shareCity Style - An elegant property reminiscent of a Portuguese palace, close to main of the city's main attractionsSights nearby - The early 20th-century Urakami Cathedral is a fascinating landmark to discoverGreat walks - Wander through the picturesque hillside Glavor Gardens on a sunny day
A stylish remnant of the city's Portuguese connections. An elegant lobby complete with black and white tiled flooring and heavy antique furniture set the tone. Boasting a central patio and glamorous Italian restaurant. A charming base for exploring the city. See More
Hotel New Nagasaki Nagasaki (Daikoku-machi) 153 rooms from £186Business meetings - A smart hotel for business or leisure travellers, with imposing shared spaces and extensive meeting roomsLocal exploring - With excellent transport links, this hotel is an ideal base for exploring the cityOther Activities - Admire the sprawling city views from the observation deck at the Nagasaki RopewayGolf - Play a round at the Nagasaki International Golf Club
A sleek hotel, well positioned next to the JR Nagasaki Train Station. Offering both contemporary western rooms and atmospheric Japanese style rooms. Dine on superlative Chinese, Japanese or continental cuisine at the three elegant restaurants. An ideal base for both business or leisure. See More
Huis Ten Bosch Forest Villa Nagasaki (Sasebo) 105 rooms from £424Families - Set inside the Huis Ten Bosch Theme Park, two-bedroom private villas have plenty of space for little ones to run around.Active Holiday - Hire bicycles, take scenic riverside walks and enjoy the marvels of the surrounding amusement parkCycling - Hire bicycles to explore the theme park and follow marked paths in the nearby forestOther Activities - Spend a fun-filled day at the Huis Ten Bosch Theme Park with the whole family
Charming villas situated along a peaceful canal inside the Huis Ten Bosch Theme Park. Style is based on Dutch design and features chintz patterns, flower-filled gardens and soft hues. boasting a spa and a restaurant that promotes healthy eating. A tranquil spot ideal for family getaways. See More