Search the best hotels in Osaka
Every nation has an anti-city. In England, Manchester stands opposed to London; in Scotland, Glasgow is everything that Edinburgh is not; in Sicily, Catania is the antithesis of Palermo. Osaka is no exception. Compared to glitzy and expensive Tokyo, Osaka is gritty, vibrant, entrepreneurial and fun-loving. The best place in the country for a bar crawl, it is the economic heart of the Kansai region and its second-largest metropolitan area, brimming with bars, restaurants, shops and a famously friendly population. Ranging from simple ryokans to ultra-luxury hotels, the best places to stay in Osaka reflect the city’s buzz and its welcoming spirit, perfect for a fantastic city break.
For a sense of Osaka’s past, take a guided tour of imposing Osaka Castle or the Sumiyoshi Taisha Shrine, both of which are iconic heritage landmarks. The Osaka Museum of History is fascinating, as are the National Museum of Art, the Koji Kinutani Tenku Art Museum and the Osaka Museum of Housing and Living. Families should look to Universal Studios Japan, the Osaka Science Museum and the Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan. The Shinsaibashi-suji Shopping Street and Kuromon Market are also excellent.
A hub for Japanese tech start-ups and the AI industry, Osaka has a bright, youthful feel. You’ll get a real sense of this creative spirit in the downtown districts of Minami, Dotonbori and Kita, which boast brilliant bars, upmarket restaurants, chic cafes and cool shopping areas. Get chatting to welcoming locals in thriving eateries, and dance the night away at some of the city’s top bars and clubs before returning to one of the best places to stay in Osaka.
The Best Places to Stay in Osaka
For a Traditional Ryokan
- Kaneyoshi Ryokan has 15 rooms, each with tatami flooring and futon bedding. Unwind in a traditional Japanese onsen after days of exploring, and enjoy classic cuisine. Simple, friendly and affordable for couples, friends and families.
- Yamatoya Honten offers 39 rooms in downtown Osaka, with traditional interiors, relaxing public baths and delicious kaiseki dishes at dinner. Guests can choose either Western of Japanese breakfasts. A budget ryokan stay.
For Contemporary Cool
- Zentis Osaka offers chic, contemporary rooms and suites with a white-on-white colour palette and modern artwork. Spaces are compact and include a gym wtih CrossFit machines and a vibrant top-floor restaurant. Adjoining rooms are ideal for families. Well-priced and swish.
- Cross Hotel Osaka is a modern hotel in an appealingly central location. Pick this spot for the ease with which you can explore downtown Osaka's Dotonbori district on foot. Expect reasonable prices and monochromatic interiors with pops of red.
- Hotel New Otani has over 500 modern rooms and suites, many of which are decorated in soothing white and cream tones. Highlights include the hotel's scenic riverside setting, its vast array of restaurants, and its large swimming pool. Osaka Castle is moments away: great for guided tours.
- Mitsui Garden Hotel Osaka Premier has a pared-back, elegant feel. Rooms are clad in soft, darker tones, there's a restful garden spa with a large onsen for unwinding, and the restaurant serves gourmet kyushu cuisine. A swish and sophisticated couples' escape.
- Hotel Hankyu International is perfect for a romantic weekend break, with glamorous interiors modelled on classic European residences. Pick this place for a glitzy couples' trip, or a special holiday with friends.
For Business Travellers
- Hotel Agora Regency Sakai is a smart hotel in Sakai, south of Osaka's city centre. Great for business travellers, it's just 25 minutes from the airport by train and boasts a range of meeting spaces and conference rooms. Interiors are stylish and many rooms have ocean views. A well-priced choice.
- Swissotel Nankai Osaka sits above Namba Station, close to the city's commercial hub. Lavish interiors and a plethora of conference spaces — seating between 10 to 1400 people — make this the ideal choice for a large conference or events. Very luxurious.
For Longer Stays
- Fraser Residence Nankai has a collection of studios and multi-bedroom apartments, all with superb city views. Pick this place for the self-catering facilities, the family and group options, and the chance to feel more independent during longer stays. Swish minimalism, with a gym and restaurant-bar.
- St. Regis Osaka sits in the heart of Midosuji — the city's Champs-Elysées equivalent. Expect five-star luxury, with your own private butler, sumptuous suites inspired by floral motifs, a rooftop garden terrace and several exceptional restaurants. Superb.
- Imperial Hotel Osaka sits alongside the Okawa River and boasts a swimming pool, elegant accommodation and multiple dining options. Enjoy Chinese, French or Japanese cuisine, and some of the best views of the cherry blossom in the city.
- The Ritz Carlton, Osaka boasts lavish Georgian interiors, with splendid city views, a fun kids club, a superb spa and various eateries — including Michelin-starred La Baie. Splendid.
- Rihga Royal Hotel Osaka is an oasis of urban luxury in the heart of the city, complete with an impressive 20 restaurants, an extensive spa and elegant rooms and suites. For business travellers, couples and families.
- Conrad Osaka brings sophisticated minimalist design to the top floors of the Nakanoshima Festival West Tower. Spacious guestrooms and suites offer floor-to-ceiling windows with views of the city's skyline, and there's a chic spa and indoor pool. Dining options include delectable KURA. One for well-heeled design lovers.
FOR AN APARTMENT
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Kansai International Airport, and take the fast train into central Osaka from there. Depending on your destination, the journey should take less than an hour. Invest in a rechargeable ICOCA Smart Card for public transport discounts during your trip.
- Osaka is best navigated by public transport, but you may want to drive if you're exploring beyond the city itself. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring — famed for thousands of pink-blossomed cherry trees — or early autumn, when temperatures range between 15 and 25°C degrees. Winters can be very cold.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Kyoto.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Japan.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Osaka
Best Hotels in Osaka
Hotel Agora Regency Sakai Osaka (Sakai-ku) 241 rooms from £107Business meetings - Well-connected to train stations and the Namba business district, this is a good value choice for a business tripLocal exploring - South of central Osaka, the Sakai district is close to the water and well worth exploring on foot or by bicycleCycling - Hire bikes from the hotel to explore the Sakai area, or take a guided cycling tour of the main sightsOther Activities - Travel 30 minutes by train with family and friends to see Universal Studios Japan
Hotel Agora Regency Sakai enjoys a prime location in Sakai, south of central Osaka. The property provides chic rooms & elegant suites as well as boasting 7 dining options and extensive conference facilities. A more affordable yet smart option for business or leisure, 25 minutes from the airport. See More
Kaneyoshi Ryokan Osaka (Chūō-ku) 15 rooms from £112Local exploring - Kaneyoshi Ryokan is located in central Osaka, the ideal spot base from which to get to know the cityValue chic - An affordable stay in a central location, perfect for budget-conscious travellersGreat walks - Meander around the city's streets and head down to the water at sunset and enjoy the viewsSights nearby - Be sure to visit the Shitennoji Temple, Tsutenkaku Tower and the historic Osaka Castle
Kaneyoshi Ryokan offers traditional Japanese accommodation - think tatami woven flooring & futon bedding - at affordable rates for couples, friends & families. A simple city stay with Japanese cusine & an onsen bath for long soaks. Within walking distance of popular Dotonbori, in the heart of Osaka. See More
Zentis Osaka Osaka (Kita-ku) 212 rooms from £106Value chic - With sleek modern interiors, a buzzy restaurant, and rooms offered at very competitive rates — this is a great value stayFamilies - With the option to book adjoining rooms and very reasonable prices, this is an easy choice for a family stayRestaurant - The vibrant menu at Upstairz is created by Michelin starred chef Shinya OtsuchihashiDesigner - Chic contemporary interiors are styled by London-based studio Tara BernerdRecommended by - Design Hotels
A sleek contemporary hotel with high-end design, gourmet cuisine, and appealing rates. Rooms are compact but feel airy with whitewashed walls, straight lines, soft natural hues, and modern artwork. A vibrant restaurant on the top floor has menus created by a Michelin-starred chef. An easy city base. See More
Yamatoya Honten Osaka (Chuo-ku) 39 rooms from £144Other Activities - Universal Studios Japan is a 20 minute drive away, and perfect for a day out with family and friendsMuseums - Visit the Japan Mint, Osaka Museum of Housing and Living or the Osaka Museum of HistoryLocal exploring - Travellers interested in shopping and food should head for Chuo WardValue chic - Great accommodation in a superb location at a very reasonable price
Yamatoya Honten is located in downtown Osaka and offers traditional Japanese accommodation complete with tatami-mat flooring and futon bedding. Choose either Western or Japanese-style breakfasts, whilst kaiseki cuisine is served for dinner. Unwind in the public baths. A fantastic budget city stay! See More
Hotel New Otani Osaka 525 rooms from £154City Style - A smart, modern city stay for business or leisure, with an astonishing 13 dining options and chic roomsLocal exploring - Visit Osaka Castle, take guided city tours or test your noodle knowledge at the Instant Ramen museumSights nearby - Visit the historic Osaka Castle, Japan Mint and Tsutenkaku Tower, right opposite the hotelTennis - Challenge the whole family to a game on the hotel's two outdoor tennis courts
Hotel New Otani enjoys a scenic riverside location in central Osaka, opposite the Castle. Offering a range of luxurious rooms and suites, the property also boasts an impressive 13 eateries serving up excellent Japanese, Chinese and French cuisine! Relax by the pool or in the spa after a big day out. See More
Hotel Hankyu International Osaka (Kita-ku) 168 rooms from £166Designer Shopping - Shop 'til you drop at four famous nearby department stores: Hankyu, Hanshin, Daimaru and Mitsukoshi-Isetan -Foodies - The hotel's nine restaurants are excellent for keen foodies, who can sample a variety of cuisinesRomantic Break - Splendid food, gorgeous accommodation and a top location-the ideal spot for a romantic getaway!Great walks - Strolls in Toyosaki South Park are wonderful for the whole family
Situated in Osaka's Umeda area, Hotel Hankyu International provides spacious & elegantly decorated accommodation and banquet halls. Head off exploring before returning to savour delicious dishes at some of the nine superb restaurants! A glamorous city stay, modelled on opulent European residences. See More
Cross Hotel Osaka Osaka (Chuo-ku) 229 rooms from £183Close to nightlife - Osaka's Minami area, including Dotonbori, is moments away & packed with bars, boutiques and eateries for big days and nights outLocal markets - Stroll to Kuromon Market - dubbed the 'Kitchen of Osaka' - to savour fresh seafood specialities from family-run stallsLocal exploring - Five minutes walk from America-mura Village and the buzzy Dotonburi area; perfect for on-foot explorersRomantic Break - Special anniversary packages make this a wonderfully romantic city break choice
Boasting a superbly central location, Cross Hotel Osaka offers contemporary rooms and suites with a monochrome colour palette & pops of red. Dine in style, and explore the lively Dotonbori area, which is moments away. You're in the heart of the city's boutiques & bars, ideal for exploring on foot! See More
Mitsui Garden Hotel Osaka Premier Osaka (Nakanoshima) 271 rooms from £186Foodies - Savour delicious traditional fare at the Seasons of Kyushu Hakata-Ro Restaurant, which also boasts impressive city viewsSights nearby - The Floating Garden Observatory of the Umeda Sky Building is fantastic - visit at night for the Lumi-Sky WalkMuseums - Visit the National Museum of Art, the Osaka Science Museum and the Kamigata Ukiyoe MuseumLocal exploring - The lively Namba and Dotombori areas can be reached within a 5-minute subway ride.
The centrally situated Mitsui Garden Hotel Osaka Premier offers chic contemporary accommodation for couples or families. Book a relaxing in-room massage after a day out sightseeing or unwind in the traditional rooftop baths. Gourmet kyushu cuisine will delight foodies. A lovely city stay! See More
Imperial Hotel Osaka Osaka (1-Chome) 381 rooms from £201Foodies - Foodies will delight in Les Saisons' Frenhc cuisine, as well as Chinese fare at Jasmine Garden & teppanyaki at KamonWeddings - Beautiful ballrooms inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright's design motifs are superb for weddings or large-scale partiesOther Activities - 4,000 cherry trees bloom at nearby Kema Sakuranomiya Park in the spring; this is a magical time to visitTennis - Play tennis or squash on the hotel's courts
Set right on the Okawa River, the 5* Imperial Hotel Osaka houses elegant accommodation, an impressive fitness and wellness centre and seven restaurants. Delicate Chinese, French or Japanese dishes will delight as you gaze out over Osaka - particularly striking when the cherry trees are in bloom. See More
Swissotel Nankai Osaka Osaka (Chuo-ku) 546 rooms from £202City Style - A smart city hotel with contemporary interiors, multiple dining options, an indoor pool & spa, this is a chic urban padGreat walks - Take a guided city tour on foot or by bicycle - and don't miss sunset strolls overlooking the waterLocal exploring - Set atop Namba Station, the hotel is well-located for exploring Osaka and beyondMuseums - Enjoy traditional Japanese art at the Kamigata Ukiyoe Museum
Swissotel Nankai Osaka enjoys a wonderful location above Namba Station. With 6 dining options, an extensive spa & indoor pool and swish, contemporary rooms and suites, this is an excellent urban base. Interiors are spacious & luxurious, and the views from the 36th-floor Tavola Restaurant unbeatable. See More
The Ritz Carlton, Osaka Osaka (Kita-ku) 292 rooms from £237Learning - Take one of the hotel's guided art tours, admiring some of the 450 pieces on show, many by 18th & 19th-century European artistsRomantic Break - Luxurious rooms and suites, fabulous food and soothing spa facilites makes this a hugely romantic choiceFoodies - Michelin-starred La Baie serves terrific French cuisine & will delight keen foodiesCycling - Hire a German-made corratec cross bike to navigate the city on two wheelsRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
An opulent hotel with Georgian interiors in sumptuous rooms, suites and shared spaces. Dine at Michelin-starred La Baie, enjoy revitalising spa treatments and take guided art tours whilst the little ones play at the kids' club. Brilliant for big events, romantic trips and luxurious family holidays. See More
Fraser Residence Nankai Osaka (Naniwa-ku) 114 rooms from £242City Style - A modern city base with light, airy spaces, striking views and contemporary design in studios & apartmentsClose to nightlife - The buzzy Namba district is known for its nightlife; this is a great area for a big night out in OsakaLocal markets - The lively Kurmomon Market has a wide variety of food stalls and is definitely worth a visitFamilies - Two-bedroom apartments with kitchens and living areas are ideal for family or group trips
Fraser Residence Nankai is situated close to the Namba business district in central Osaka. The property offers a range of well-lit studios and apartments decorated in a chic contemporary fashion. Enjoy a continental breakfast each morning to set you up for the day! A friendly city spot. See More
Rihga Royal Hotel Osaka Osaka (Nakanoshima) 984 rooms from £245City Style - A chic and central city stay close to the Osaka International Convention Centre, perfect for business and leisure travellersRomantic Break - Spacious suites, a sumptuous spa and smart restaurants make this a romantic choice for well-heeled couplesOther Activities - Enjoy a refreshing dip in the pool, work out in the gym or let off steam with a karaoke sessionSights nearby - Visit Tsutenkaku Tower, the bustling Shinsekai neighbourhood or the historic Osaka Castle
In the heart of the city, Rihga Royal Hotel Osaka has a huge array of elegant suites and contemporary rooms for business travellers, couple and families. Savour a variety of cuisines in 20 restaurants, unwind at the spa or indoor pool and hone your karaoke skills. A superb stay in a top spot! See More
Conrad Osaka Osaka 164 rooms from £351Local exploring - Nestled in the heart of Osaka, with shops, restaurants and historic sites close by, book this hotel for local exploringFoodies - With four restaurants and bars to choose from, all with striking city views, foodies are well-catered to at this hotelCity Style - Set in between the Dojima and Tosabori rivers, this sleek city bolt-hole has lots of local charmSights nearby - Tour the 16th-century Osaka Castle, one of the city's most famous landmarks
This five-star, luxury hotel is located on the highest floors of the Nakanoshima Festival West Tower in Osaka. The contemporary guestrooms feature floor-to-ceiling windows with views over the spectacular skyline. Head to KURA restaurant for sushi and teppanyaki after sightseeing. See More
St Regis Osaka Osaka 160 rooms from £371Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Osaka Castle, one of Japan's most famous landmarks and a symbol of the unification of the countryCooking classes - Cook your own Udon at a private cooking class; enquire with the hotel concierge for reservation detailsRomantic Break - With luxurious interiors, a romantic restaurant and spa, the hotel will delight well-heeled couplesCity Style - Set in the most stylish district of Oaska with skyline views, this is a chic city hotel
This luxury hotel is set in the heart of Midosuji, known as the Champs-Elysées of Osaka. Plush guest suites are themed around flowers and foliage, with sink-in carpets and opulent throws set off by natural accents. Head to the hotel's stylish 12th-floor terrace for spectacular skyline views. See More