Search the best hotels in Kuala Lumpur
About Kuala Lumpur
A vibrant tropical city offering a fascinating fusion of old and new, Kuala Lumpur is Malaysia’s capital, commercial hub and hottest destination. Punctuated by some of the world’s tallest buildings, KL’s skyline glitters with skyscrapers housing designer malls, international offices, sophisticated bars and rave-reviewed eateries. Tucked amidst them, too, are the city’s chic hotels, simpler guesthouses and restful urban sanctuaries. Chosen for their location, amenities and design, our pick of the best places to stay in Kuala Lumpur promises a superb base for exploring this terrific — and often underrated — city.
Founded by Chinese and Malay tin prospectors, KL has burgeoned into a bustling Asian trading centre. The Golden Triangle, located downtown, is the hub of the commercial action. Visit the 88th-floor observatory at the iconic Petronas Twin Towers, shop-til-you-drop at KLCC — one of the city’s 60+ malls — or take a more relaxing stroll in KLCC’s 50-acre city park. The trendy neighbourhoods of Bangsar and Brickfields, KL’s ‘Little India’, are brilliant for shopping, food tours and cultural explorations. Chow Kit Market, the largest wet market in the city, is well worth visiting, as are buzzing Chinatown and the lively food stalls of Jalan Alor Street. Museum-goers should head to the Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia, whilst families will appreciate Auqaria and the Kuala Lumpur Bird Park.
This is a city that parties long after dark, and you can expect delectable Asian and international cuisine, fantastic speakeasies modelled on dimly-lit opium dens, and live music events galore. Return to one of the best places to stay in Kuala Lumpur for soothing spa treatments and big breakfasts on the morning after!
The Best Places to Stay in Kuala Lumpur
- Villa Samadhi offers a tranquil, romantic experience, with 21 rooms and suites set around a lagoon-like swimming pool. Expect minimalist interiors with bamboo touches, and private terraces with plunge pools in the larger suites. Craft cocktails at the bar — which seats just six — are terrific, as is the restaurant. An adults only spot for couples looking to unwind.
- Alila Bangsar has chic, pared-back interiors with striking views over the trendy neighbourhoods of Bangsar & Brickfields. Think crisp white linens, teak details & a spectacular rooftop pool. The two restaurants are excellent. A restful urban space for well-heeled couples.
- Else Kuala Lumpur is a trendy new hotel set atop a restored Chinatown landmark. Sleek, dusky rose interiors feature lots of light wood and woven cane. Unwind by the rooftop infinity pool, or feast at Raw Kitchen Hall and Yellow Fin Horse, the hotel's two gourmet restaurants. For design-minded couples eager to stay a stone's throw from the hip bars and hawker stands of Chinatown.
- Anggun has just 18 rooms and suites, some of which have courtyard-facing balconies or additional space for little ones. The Bukit Bintang location is great for exploring, and the friendly team make this a fun, relaxed family choice. Charming and characterful.
- The Kuala Lumpur Journal Hotel is a bold, retro-inspired party hotspot, with a rooftop pool and bar offering live DJ nights, two lively eateries and swish modern rooms — some of which have space for groups. Communal work spaces and event rooms also make this a great sociable business trip choice.
- Mandarin Oriental Kuala Lumpur promises opulent interiors, spectacular city views and exceptional service. Kick back in the infinity pool, savour Cantonese, Malaysian and international cuisine, try rejuvenating treatments at the spa, or relax in indulgent suites. Beautiful.
- The Ritz Carlton boasts luxurious rooms and suites, as well as a plethora world-class facilities. Families will adore the Kids Club, while grown-ups can enjoy the spa, book striking spaces for meetings or celebrations and dine on delectable dishes in mutiple restaurants and bars. A sumptuous stay.
- The Ruma Hotel & Residences is a beautiful city sanctuary, with sophisticated rooms & suites featuring natural wood, rattan & brass accents. Mod-Malaysian fare at ATAS, infinity pool-side cocktails and a rejuvenating spa are highlights. Gorgeous.
- The Four Seasons is a fabulous hotel with expansive city views — including of the adjacent Petronas Twin Towers — from modern rooms and suites, vast events spaces and great eateries. There's a large rooftop pool with a cool cocktail bar, and a superb spa.
For Great Value
- The Chow Kit promises a boutique stay in Chow Kit, the city's former red-light district. Rooms and suites have rattan, wood, brass and velvet pieces crafted by artisan partners. Top-notch cocktails and guided neighbourhood tours add to the appeal. A great-value gem for couples, friends or families.
- The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur is an iconic 1930s colonial mansion. Now a 300-room hotel with an Art Deco spa, swimming pool and six bars and restaurants, it offers a brilliant combination of great value and timeless style. For hertiage aficionados eager to experience old-school KL.
- Hotel Maya offers a smart city stay, with a spa, hydrotherapy pool and gym. Modern and pared-back, this is a great choice for an affordable business trip. Private dining comes highly recommended.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Kuala Lumpur International Airport, and travel into the city by taxi, train or shuttle bus. The city is easily navigated by private driver or public transport — including Uber-equivalent, Grab — if you're visiting for a few days.
- To explore destinations beyond the city, contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Tropical and humid, Kuala Lumpur is a year-round destination. Temperatures hover around 28-33°C for much of the year, with the heaviest rainfall expected in April - May and October - November. Showers are frequent. Expect the city to be particularly busy during festival periods, including Chinese New Year.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Penang.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Malaysia.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Kuala Lumpur
Best Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
The Chow Kit Kuala Lumpur 113 rooms from £45Local exploring - Stay somewhere a little different, experiencing the bustle of historic Chow Kit rather than KL's Golden TriangleValue chic - A seriously cool spot for couples, friends or families, offering great food and interiors at affordable ratesLocal markets - Chow Kit Market — the biggest in KL — is just steps away, and absolutely not one to miss!Boutique - Rated the best boutique hotel in KL two years in a rowRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A hip boutique hotel for well-heeled couples, friends or families in KL's former red-light district. Artisan partners have crafted rattan, wood, brass and velvet pieces for chic rooms and suites. With top-notch cocktails, innovative cuisine & guided neighbourhood tours, this is a great-value gem. See More
The Kuala Lumpur Journal Hotel Kuala Lumpur (Bukit Bintang) 117 rooms from £53Designer Shopping - Shop at Jalan Bukit Bintang's upscale malls & designer stores, or pick up curated gifts from small brands at hip KOMEGroups - Triple Rooms and connecting options are ideal for fun groups trips — as are the bar, terrace grill & swimming clubClose to nightlife - Party up at the rooftop Swimming Club before heading out to the bars and nightclubs of trendy Bukit BintangBusiness meetings - A funky modern hotel for sociable work trips, with big hot-desking tables, good wifi and a buzzy happy hourRecommended by - Tablet
A sociable Bukit Bintang hub with a funky retro vibe, this is a top spot for fun group holidays or lively work trips. Set in central KL, Journal has flexible room options with multiple beds, desks & city views. Expect communal work or event spaces, two eateries & buzzy rooftop pool parties. See More
The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur Kuala Lumpur 300 rooms from £74Golf - Play a round at the Kuala Lumpur Golf & Country Club's East Course or West Course, both designed by Nelson HowarthFoodies - Feast at six superb bars and restaurants - the classic cocktails recall a bygone era in Malaysia's historyCity Style - An opulent city hotel with Art Deco interiors and swanky shared spaces for celebrationsSights nearby - Walk five minutes to iconic Merdeka Square, a historic landmark
Alila Bangsar Kuala Lumpur (Brickfields) 127 rooms from £85Designer Shopping - Bangsar Shopping Centre brims with international boutiques; the neighbourhood's streets house cool cafés, shops and eateriesRomantic Break - A grown-up hotel for couples or friends, who will love the design-led suites and rooftop cocktail barLocal exploring - Perfectly located for exploring both Brickfields — KL's Little India —- and trendy BangsarGreat walks - Take guided walking food & heritage tours of Brickfields to discover the flavours of KL's 'Little India'
A chic, minimalist offering in a striking high-rise overlooking KL's hip Bangsar and Brickfields districts. Expect pared-back rooms with crisp white linens, teak details & expansive city views. The rooftop pool is spectacular, and the two restaurants excellent. For cool couples or business visitors. See More
Anggun Kuala Lumpur (Bukit Bintang) 18 rooms from £86Sights nearby - The Petronas Towers are a KL landmark, offering striking city views - and impressive when seens at night from a nearby bar!Families - Book a family suite with space for extra beds & explore the city from the hotel's wonderful Bukit Bintang locationClose to nightlife - KL is abuzz with bars, eateries & clubs late into the night. Kickstart your evening on lively Jalan Alor StreetLocal markets - The Art Deco Central Market is great for picking up gifts and local craftsRecommended by - I Escape
Hotel Maya Kuala Lumpur 207 rooms from £90City Style - A smart city hotel with modern facilities - gym, restaurant, spa - and spacious rooms, ideal for business or leisureGreat walks - Stroll through central KL on foot to admire old shophouses, key landmarks and lively markets or swish mallsDesigner Shopping - Suria Kuala Lumpur City Center is full of international boutiques - perfect for a shopping trip!Swimming Pool - An indoor-outdoor hydrotherapy pool for the ultimate relaxation after exploring the cityRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
Else Kuala Lumpur Kuala Lumpur (City Centre) 49 rooms from £95Foodies - Foodies will adore Latin-Asian fusion sharing plates at Raw Kitchen Hall & Chef Jun Wong's innovative dishes at Yellow Fin HorseClose to nightlife - Chinatown buzzes with superb street food and trendy bars in the evening, including hip speakeasy PS150City Style - Stylish contemporary interiors in a lively Chinatown location; ideal for business or pleasureLocal markets - Shop at the Central Market, a restored Art Deco edifice turned handicraft havenRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
A sleek new hotel in a restored Chinatown landmark, close to hip bars, hawker stalls and the Central Market. Dusky rose interiors feature natural materials in restful rooms & suites. Relax by the rooftop infinity pool or feast at two gourmet eateries: Raw Kitchen Hall & Yellow Fin Horse. Very cool. See More
Mandarin Oriental Kuala Lumpur Kuala Lumpur 643 rooms from £100City Style - An immensely luxurious city hotel for business or leisure, with excellent facilities and impressive viewsFoodies - Feast at 7 award-winning restaurants, serving Cantonese, Japanese and Continental cuisineTennis - Play a family game of tennis on the hotel courts, or take lessons with an expert coachCycling - Take a guided city tour with Mike Bikes, exploring the highlights of central KL
Luxury on a grand scale in the centre of the city. Contemporary classic interiors throughout opulent rooms and suites. Fantastic facilities; Japanese, Cantonese, or Continental restaurants, extensive spa, business facilities, and excellent views from the poolside. Service second to none. See More
The RuMa Hotel and Residences Kuala Lumpur 253 rooms from £105Cooking classes - Regular masterclasses, food and drink events — such as the Kita Food Festival — celebrate gourmet Malaysian cuisine at the hotelCity Style - A hip city pad for well-heeled urbanites with sophisticated interiors, two bars and a superb mod-Malaysian restaurantFamilies - Two-Bedroom Family Studios are great for trips with little ones, who will also love the kids' pool and special mealsLocal markets - Jalan Alor Night Market is filled with fabulous streetside stalls serving Malaysian specialitiesRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A beautiful sanctuary in the heart of KL's Golden Triangle. RuMa offers sophisticated rooms & suites with cream colour palettes, natural wood, rattan & brass accents. Unwind at the spa or infinity pool, feast on mod-Malaysian fare at ATAS, or sip cocktails with a view. A super-chic city stay. See More
The Ritz Carlton, Kuala Lumpur Kuala Lumpur 250 rooms from £125Families - Multi-room suites & apartments are ideal for families, who will also appreciate the workshops and events organised by Ritz KidsBusiness meetings - With 15 meeting rooms totaling 18,730 square feet, this is a top spot for a business trip or high-end conferenceMuseums - Visit the National Museum, the Petrosains Discovery Centre or the Kuala Lumpur Craft ComplexDesigner Shopping - Suria KLCC and the Starhill Gallery promise the best of KL's designer shopping
Luxury on a grand scale in the city's entertainment district. Sumptuous rooms and suites in creams with all the mod-cons and private hot tubs. Fantastic Cantonese and continental restaurants, extensive spa, Kids' Club and private butler service. For those who like to be indulged on every level. See More
Villa Samadhi Kuala Lumpur 21 rooms from £180Learning - The National Visual Arts Gallery and Valentine Willie Fine Art will be a sure-fire hit with art aficionadosRomantic Break - Book a Loft suite for a romantic honeymoon escape, complete with a private plunge pool & roof terraceCity Style - Minimalist Asian-inspired interiors create a hip luxury feel for couples in this lovely urban oasisCooking classes - Hone your culinary skills with the hotel chefs, learning to craft delectable Malaysian fusion fareRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Four Seasons Hotel Kuala Lumpur Kuala Lumpur 209 rooms from £280City Style - Connected to KLCC & the Petronas Towers, this is a super-central city hotel with indulgent modern interiors and heaps of styleRomantic Break - A hugely romantic hotel for couples eager to immerse themselves in luxurious suites & soak up restorative spa treatmentsSights nearby - Check out the 88th floor observatory deck of the Petronas Twin Towers, KL's most iconic buildingsCooking classes - Fabulous culinary workshops include dim-sum cooking classes with celebrity chef Jimmy Wong
Adjacent to the iconic Petronas Twin Towers, the Four Seasons promises chic, contemporary rooms and suites, vast events spaces and multiple restaurants — including excellent Yun House. An indulgent choice for couples, families or business travellers, with a gym, pool and sumptuous spa. Fabulous. See More