Search the best hotels in Senglea
Senglea or Citta Invicta as it's known locally has played a prominent role in Maltese history. One of the three cities that make up the Grand Harbour, it served as the premier bulwark during the Great Siege of Malta in 1565. Built by one of the Grand Masters of the Order of St. John, Senglea is imposing and impressive in equal measure. Featuring beautiful churches, magnificent forts and historic palaces, there's plently to explore in Senglea. Given its coastal position, the best places to stay in Senglea tend to overlook the sea or are in the old town.
Things not to miss:
- Senglea is perhaps most famous for the magnificent sculpture of Jesus Christ the Redeemer in oratory of the Basilica dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
- Right on the sea, there are a number of places to relax by the water and go swimming. The most picturesque of them is probably Senglea Point.
- Go for a walk in the Gardjola Gardens that offer beautiful views out over the bay and onto Valletta.
- It's really easy to hop on a ferry and get across to Malta's UNESCO World Heritage Site capital Valletta for the day.
With it's tranquil, relaxed atmosphere, Senglea is a superb place to soak up Malta's easy-paced culture. The best places to stay in Senglea tend to be small-scale boutique affairs.
The best places to stay in Senglea
- If you're looking for elegance and luxury overlooking the harbour, book a room at the Cugo Gran Macina Grand Harbour. Its 21 rooms exude modern style plus there's a rooftop pool with a view and an excellent modern Maltese restaurant.
For a private apartment
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Senglea is Malta International (4 miles).
- For car hire, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Senglea is from March to June or September to November. In the high summer, temperatures are unbearably hot.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Senglea
Cugo Gran Macina Grand Harbour Senglea (Triq il-31 ta’Marzu) 21 rooms from £237
Elegant and luxurious accommodation overlooking the Grand Harbour. Featuring a rooftop terrace boasting wonderful views over Valetta and a glorious pool. The 21 suites are contemporary and luxurious and there's a modern Maltese restaurant too.Total relaxation - With Spa facilities that include beauty treatments, massages, yoga and pilates, you can truly unwind.Business meetings - Featuring multi-purpose meeting rooms and a rooftop terrace with capacity up to 1000 people.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.