Search the best hotels in Senglea
Senglea or Citta Invicta as it's known locally has played a prominent role in Maltese history. One of the three cities that make up the Grand Harbour, it served as the premier bulwark during the Great Siege of Malta in 1565. Built by one of the Grand Masters of the Order of St. John, Senglea is imposing and impressive in equal measure. Featuring beautiful churches, magnificent forts and historic palaces, there's plently to explore in Senglea. Given its coastal position, the best places to stay in Senglea tend to overlook the sea or are in the old town.
Things not to miss:
- Senglea is perhaps most famous for the magnificent sculpture of Jesus Christ the Redeemer, displayed in the oratory of the Basilica dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
- Right on the sea, there are a number of places to relax by the water and go swimming. The most picturesque of them is probably Senglea Point.
- Go for a walk in the Gardjola Gardens that offer beautiful views out over the bay and onto Valletta.
- It's really easy to hop on a ferry and get across to Malta's UNESCO World Heritage Site capital Valletta for the day.
With it's tranquil, relaxed atmosphere, Senglea is a superb place to soak up Malta's easy-paced culture. The best places to stay in Senglea tend to be small-scale boutique affairs.
The best places to stay in Senglea
- If you're looking for elegance and luxury overlooking the harbour, book a room at the Cugo Gran Macina Grand Harbour. Its 21 rooms exude modern style plus there's a rooftop pool with a view and an excellent modern Maltese restaurant.
For a private apartment
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Senglea is Malta International (4 miles).
- For car hire, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Senglea is from March to June or September to November. In the high summer, temperatures are unbearably hot.
Still not sure?
- Have another look at the best places to stay in Senglea.
- Widen the search to the best places to stay in Valletta, or all of our Maltese recommendations.
- Or for some personal travel advice contact one of our friendly gurus.
Monthly Weather in Senglea
Best Hotels in Senglea
The Snop House Senglea (Isla (Senglea)) 6 rooms from $183Local exploring - A traditional base, well-placed to access both Birgu and VallettaSights nearby - Take the short ferry ride across to Valletta and visit the cathedral and many museums and galleries thereRestrictions on children - Adult onlyFull of character
A charming traditional townhouse featuring just 6 rooms in the historic, yet untouristy, area of Senglea. The design throughout merges the building's original features with contemporary touches seen in the fixtures and artwork. Breakfast is served and good restaurants are just a stroll away. See More
Cugo Gran Macina Grand Harbour Senglea (Triq il-31 ta’Marzu) 21 rooms from $300Total relaxation - With Spa facilities that include beauty treatments, massages, yoga and pilates, you can truly unwind.Business meetings - Featuring multi-purpose meeting rooms and a rooftop terrace with capacity up to 1000 people.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.