Search the best hotels in Mauritius
The beauty of Mauritius is no secret. In Mark Twain's book 'Following the Equator', he wrote: You gather the idea that Mauritius was made first and then heaven, and that heaven was copied from Mauritius. It's hard to say anything more complimentary than that! It's also a philosophy (in terms of creating a heaven for their guests) that most of the best places to stay in Mauritius attempt to adhere to.
What not to miss
- In addition to the soft, pale, sandy, palm fringed beaches of your best tropical island fantasy, Mauritius also offers a spectacular diversity of plant and animal life, draped gracefully around an extinct volcanic plateau.
- This is an island for exploring just as much as flopping on. As well as the incredible biodiversity, there are wonderful old colonial buildings - dating from both the French and British periods, ancient Indian temples, colourful markets and animal parks which make it easy to meet the locals.
- The cultural fusion from the mix of Indian, Creole, Chinese, French and British heritage of the residents means the cuisine is unique. Between the markets and restaurants there is plenty in Mauritius to please foodies.
- Diving round Mauritius is excellent and varied. As well as volcanic caves and coral reefs, there are also a few wrecks and plenty of marine life to meet, including dolphins.
- If you fancy an underwater experience but you're not an experienced diver you can do the 'Solar Sea Walk', which involves you suiting up into one of those old diving suits and walking along the bottom of the ocean.
- Or you could try the Blue Safari Submarine, which means you'll see some of the treasures of the reef without getting wet.
For an island so small, Mauritius has a large number of reserves, and there are numerous opportunities for walkers of all abilities and fitness, from strollers to mountain hikers. There are also horse riding, zip lining and quad biking opportunities. The best places to stay in Mauritius will be able to arrange any of these activities for you.
The Best places to stay in Mauritius
For low key luxury
- If you're looking for un-fussy luxury, one of the best places to stay on Mauritius is 20° Sud. This boutique hotel, in a coconut grove, is a paradise for divers and sailors. Its beautiful tropical lagoon offers plenty for waterspouts enthusiasts. Also great for foodies as there is a restaurant on the small island and an onboard one, the Lady Lisbeth.
For a tropical hideaway
- You might wonder why any Mauritian resort would be away from the island's perfect beaches, but the lush, tropical interior is an excellent place for relaxation and exploring as well. If you're looking for an environmentally friendly jungle base, then Lakaz Chamerel is one of the best. The skies above are clear of light pollution and there are open air showers, so you'll really feel as if you're a castaway in the rainforest.
For an apartment or beach house
- For those seeking some additional privacy, we recommend visiting our online partner Booking.com.
- International flights into Mauritius land at Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport (26 miles from the capital St Louis).
- For those looking to hire a car, we recommend visiting our online partner Rentalcars.
- The island has a year round temperature that offers perfect beach weather. Cyclones move through the Indian Ocean in January and February, so best to avoid booking a holiday then.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Mauritius
Paradis Hotel and Golf Club Mauritius 299 rooms from £142Golf - Paradis has its own wonderful course as well as being affiliated with three others nearby-guests play for reduced ratesSpa - The Paradis spa offers a wide range of treatments to rejuvenate both mind and body.Kids Club - Paradis kids club offers a range of activities for your little ones (ages 3-11)Fishing - Paradis can set you up with companies to take you deep sea fishing
The 5* Paradis Hotel and Golf Club is located on Mauritius' Morne Peninsula. A perfect blend of luxury and leisure, the hotel offers chic contemporary accommodation and provides activities for the whole family. Unwind in the extensive spa. Four top restaurants to choose from! A divine coastal spot! See More
Lakaz Chamerel Chamarel, Mauritius 20 rooms from £165Total relaxationBeach LifeGreat walks - Explore the neighbouring national park or cliimb Piton CanotCooking classes - The kitchen is open to all who wish to learn!
A charming and tranquil ecolodge hidden away in Mauritius’ tropical south-west corner. A truly relaxing experience awaits with wellness options including massage, reflexology and yoga. Great walking too in the Black River Gorges National Park. A wonderful off the beaten track destination. See More
20° Sud Grande Baie, Mauritius 35 rooms from £312Beach LifeOn the beach - In front of the hotel.Sailing - The hotel has two yachts for you to use - a Hobie Cat 15 and a LaserDiving - There are plenty of ship wrecks and a coral reef only 5 mins away
Blissful low-key luxury with a trio of restaurants and a glorious waterside setting. Four poster beds with billowing canopies and suites with either private hot tubs or private pools. Superb location on the North Coast a paradise for sailors, divers and those who simply want to chill out. See More
The Oberoi Mauritius Mauritius 71 rooms from £503Romantic Break - Opulent palm-thatched villas within tropical gardens, a heaven for honeymooners seeking beachfront relaxationSailing - Parasailing- the thrilling experience of being towed by a motor boat and gliding through the air wearing an open parachuteDiving - Rich in colourful marine life and untouched coral reefs, Turtle Bay will provide an unforgettable scuba diving experienceCooking classes - Guests can enjoy an al fresco cooking session led by one of the masterchefsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
The Oberoi group know how to do luxury and this Mauritius addition is no disappointment. Set on the pristine Turtle Bay and surrounded by tropical gardens this is an ideal romantic escape. Rooms boast private terraces and sunken baths and there's a fabulous spa to ease away an aces and pains. See More
Constance Le Prince Maurice Mauritius 89 rooms from £578Spa - The luxurious Sisley spa has six treatment rooms and two couples’ rooms, built around a small heated thermal swimming poolHideaway - For those seeking a calm, discreet and secluded leading hotel which oozes luxuryDiving - From Manta Rays to mighty whale sharks; turtles to dolphins, your encounter with Indian Ocean’s marine life will be memorableSwimming Pool - The infinity pool is one of the loveliest on the island, with big cabanas; family beach villas have own heated private poolRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Luxurious, exquisitely designed villas and suites situated on the edge of a white sand beach with stunning mountain views. The cuisine offers a thoroughly gourmet experience, the kids club is jam-packed with activities and the relaxing spa is ideal especially after intrepid island exploration! See More
The Royal Palm Mauritius 69 rooms from £586Beach Life - A focus on relaxing by the beach (uniformed staff in attendance), lingering lunches at Le Bar Plage and unwinding at the spaGreat walks - Walk around the 'Seven Coloured Earths', a result of a very rare geological phenomenonSights nearby - Visit Le Château Labourdonnais, a familial house built in 1777Swimming Pool - Swimming pool and kids' pool