San José del Cabo
Search the best hotels in San José del Cabo
About San José del Cabo
Perched on the sandy shores of the Sea of Cortés, the elegant colonial town of San José del Cabo is a brilliant destination for art lovers, foodies and wildlife enthusiasts keen to kick back at the beach and explore Baja California Sur. Accommodation options range from intimate hideaways to cutting-edge luxury resorts, catering to a whole host of tastes and budgets. Whilst some of the area’s top spots are appealingly family-friendly, the town is a particular favourite with couples — some of the best places to stay in San José del Cabo are adults-only havens, perfect for a honeymoon or romantic escape.
Once a popular stop for Spanish trading ships seeking fresh water at the mouth of the Rio San José, San José del Cabo was officially founded in the early 18th century by Jesuit missionaries. A fort was built to defend the settlement from pirates, and the town evolved around the striking Plaza Mijares, dominated by the Mission San José del Cabo. At the heart of the historic district, this is a great place to delve into the town’s complex past, peruse bustling markets, listen to live music and pop into fascinating museums and art galleries. The area is at its best during the annual Art Walk, when you can expect wine tastings, creative exhibitions and street musicians aplenty. The region’s food is also a particular highlight: feast on fresh, seasonal fare and superb seafood both in town and at your hotel.
Nature-lovers can venture east to the palm-lined lagoons of the San José Estuary and Bird Sanctuary to spot hummingbirds, ibis and herons. The Cabo Pulmo Marine Park is fantastic for kayaking, scuba diving and snorkelling amongst coral reefs and shipwrecks teeming with marine life. San José del Cabo is also close to several annual whale migration routes: speak you your hosts about catching a glimpse of these marvellous creatures. Don’t miss the craggy rock formations of Land’s End, either, where sea lions bask in the sunshine. Round off busy days of discovery with time spent sunbathing or surfing near the Playa Palmilla or the more secluded Playa Santa Maria.
Whether you’re here for the beautiful beaches, the wonderful wildlife or the intriguing layers of history, the best places to stay in San José del Cabo offer a gorgeous place to unwind after big days of adventure.
The Best Places to Stay in San José del Cabo
For Boutique Charm
- Villa del Faro promises a charming eight-bedroom eco-getaway, created by twelve Californian artists. Think antique furnishings, muslin-draped four poster beds and airy spaces with striking ocean views. Perfect for couples, friends or families looking for a secluded beach escape with heaps of outdoor activities and a focus on nature.
- Casa Natalia boasts 18 bright suites, decorated with bold Mexican artwork and featuring private terraces with hammocks perfect for lazy afternoons in the old town. Stroll the streets of San José del Cabo before tucking in to gourmet delights at Mi Cocina, the property's famed restaurant. Peaceful and romantic — an intimate foodie favourite.
- ACRE is a gorgeous eco-retreat with thatched treehouses and environmentally-friendly minimalist villas nestled in the foothills of San José del Cabo. Spend your days lounging by the pool, practising yoga, or playing badminton and croquet before kicking back with a craft cocktail and a delectable meal at the organic farm-to-table restaurant. An adults-only haven.
- El Ganzo offers trendy, adults-only rooms and suites overlooking the marina in San José del Cabo. Expect generous terraces, funky modern art and white-on-white decor. Sip sundowners by the rooftop pool, tour the art gallery and head out on the water. Cool and contemporary.
For a Beach Resort
- One & Only Palmilla offers a glamorous beach resort experience. Rooms, suites and villas feature heaps of space for couples, families and groups, there's an indulgent spa and a wide array of exciting things to see and do. Elegant and luxurious.
- Viceory Los Cabos is a futuristic sanctuary on the Sea of Cortés. The Miguel Ángel Aragonés-designed resort features striking, minimalist interiors with huge walls of glass framing spellbinding sea views. Pick this place for its novel architectural concept, holistic spa, five restaurants and myriad outdoor activities. A serene and stylish seaside spot for couples or families.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Los Cabos International Airport, just outside San José del Cabo. Travel by shuttle bus or taxi to your destination. Most hotels will also be happy to arrange an airport pickup in advance.
- This is a great region to explore by road. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect an arid climate with balmy temperatures throughout the year, and dry weather from November to May. Do consider avoiding the rainy season (July to September), unless you're happy to kick back at the bar or in the spa until the sky clears.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Todos Santos.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Baja California Sur.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in San José del Cabo
Best Hotels in San José del Cabo
Casa Natalia San José del Cabo (Centro) 19 rooms from £104Foodies - Their Mi Cocina restaurant serves up delicious cuisine blending local dishes with European influencesLocal exploring - Wander through the quaint Centro Historico and get a feel for Los CabosGreat walks - Explore the city's streets or head down to the beach at sunset and take a leisurely stroll enjoying the viewsQuirky - An experience!Recommended by - I Escape
Casa Natalia is situated in Los Cabos Old Town, a 15 minute walk from the beach. It features chic and simply decorated accommodation with local artwork adding a splash of colour. Be sure to enjoy a drink or two on their wonderful rooftop terrace and take in the views! A charming and friendly stay. See More
Villa Del Faro San José del Cabo (B C S) 8 rooms from £140Back to Nature - Set in a lush garden overlooking a deserted beach (where one can spot whales) and surrounded by the desert.Birdwatching - Spot ormorants, brown pelican, the rare Least Tern and sandpipers on the coastline.Views - Great views from hotelSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - I Escape
The lovechild of twelve Californian artists, set in a glorious spot overlooking azure waters and surrounded by the desert. Packed full of charming antique pieces and with each room boasting enormous windows to marvel at the glorious views. Serving exemplary Mexican fare. The perfect getaway. See More
El Ganzo San José del Cabo (SAN JOSE DEL CABO, LOS CABOS) 69 rooms from £164City Style - A harbour side property complete with art gallery, chic contemporary style and rooftop pool.Fishing - The nearby ATV adventures offers deep-sea fishing excursions.Sailing - Spend a memorable day at sea searching for whales.Restrictions on children - An adult only property.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
An oh-so trendy contemporary hotel overlooking the marina. Chic rooms feature large terraces, plenty of glass, white on white style and modern art. A rooftop pool is the perfect place to sip a cocktail by and the art gallery is the 'piece de la resistance'. An achingly cool property. See More
Acre San José del Cabo (Calle Camino Real S/N Animas Bajas) 12 rooms from £230Romantic Break - The cosy treehouses are great for a back-to-nature couples' getaway, with all the essentials taken care ofHideaway - Nestled in the foothills of San Jose del Cabo, this hotel makes a perfect hideout holiday destinationEco break - This resort offers a unique eco holiday; stay in a treehouse for the authentic experienceRestrictions on children - Adults-only resort
An eco resort nestled in the foothills of San Jose del Cabo. Acre comprises twelve modern treehouses with large beds, en suite bathrooms and outdoor showers. Enjoy a complimentary yoga class every morning or lounge by the pool with a good book and cocktail; a chic nature retreat. See More
Viceroy Los Cabos San José del Cabo (Zona Hotelera) 192 rooms from £324Beach Life - Set on an exclusive stretch of private beach in San Jose del Cabo, this hotel is the perfect choice for a luxury seaside breakRomantic Break - The beautifully appointed guestrooms at this hotel are ideal for a romantic break; book a suite for a seafront terraceSpa breaks - With a fully-equipped holistic spa onsite, book this hotel for your next luxury pampering holidayCooking classes - Take a cooking class with hotel chefs and learn new dishes to add to your repertoire; book a package through the hotelRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
This chic concept hotel is nestled on the Cortés coast in Baja California. Huge windows and minimalist interiors have the effect of bringing the coast into the elegant guestrooms; book the Skyline Suite for a beautiful seafront terrace. Unwind at the exclusive private beach; a unique bolt-hole. See More
One & Only Palmilla San José del Cabo (San Jose Del Cabo) 173 rooms from £627Restaurant - Mexiterranean and Euro Asian cuisines along with fresh sushi.Tennis - Work up a sweat and stay active with a spot of tennisDiving - Scuba diving and deep sea fishing is available.Outstanding locationRecommended by - CN Traveller
This luxurious oceanfront property lies a few miles outside San José del Cabo. The stunning rooms and suites are decorated in a Mexican design with light hues and each has a patio or balcony. The hotel also boasts 4 top-notch restaurants that are each worth trying! A truly remarkable place to stay. See More
Zadún, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve San José del Cabo 115 rooms from £741Romantic Break - With fine dining, a spoiling spa, and couples' experiences offered — this is the perfect destination for a luxe getaway for two5* Luxury - One of only 4 Ritz-Carlton Reserves (the most luxurious) and it shows, from the standout service to the impeccably styled roomsGolf - Greg Norman and Jack Nicklaus have carved three courses into the rolling desert foothills of Puerto Los Cabos Golf ClubSpa breaks - The vast Alkemia spa offers a wide range of wellness activities from a Vichy shower to a temazcal (a sweat lodge)
One of four Ritz Carlton Reserves (their highest grade of luxury) set on a pristine beach. Beautifully styled rooms and suites are vast. All have ocean-facing views, living areas, and terraces while most have plunge pools. Service is unsurprisingly slick and the amenities are endless. See More