Search the best hotels in Oualidia
Oualidia is an oasis amidst a rugged, barren coastline south of Casablanca, sitting beside a lagoon where fishing boats bob gently in the peaceful waters: here, all manners of wildlife and watersports abound, and the beaches are lined with otherwordly windswept dunes, seemingly guarded by the imperious ruin of the palace of King Mohammad V - who unsurprisingly built his palace here. Now, Oualidia is one of Morocco's best-kept secrets, a haven for the nation's rich and rare who flock here in the summertime unbeknownst to the Europeans who flood Marakesh and Agadir. Indeed, the young Moroccan royalty can regularly be seen surfing! But wealthy Moroccans aren't the only fans of Oualidia: during the spring and summer, over 400 species of birds make their home in the lagoon, including pink flamingoes and white egrets.
But aside from the palatial ruin, there's little in the way of heritage in the town: there's no medina, like in Essaouira, but there are some fantastic seafood restaurants lining the waterfront set in whitewashed blue-shuttered houses, owing largely to the fact that the town is the unofficial capital of oyster-farming in Morocco. So, apart from sunbathing, surfing and birdwatching, what can you do? Conveniently, Oualidia is a great base-camp for exploring the wider region. On Saturdays, you can take a donkey-carriage to a nearby souk (market), or head to Safi, a fishing port, and buy some handcrafted traditional pottery, after which you can relax on the beach armed with a glass of bone-dry Moroccan white wine, and watch the sun recede in the pink and blue sky. In our collection of the best places to stay in Oualidia, we've highlighted a delightful palatial-like hotel overlooking the sea - perfect for a beach holiday.
The best places to stay in Oualidia
- La Sultana Oualidia is a luxurious Moroccan get-away off the beaten track on the Atlantic coast in Oualidia, secluded from the tourist hubbub. Classic Moroccan architecture meets spa idyll with a host of treatments and pools. We recommend for well-being, tranquillity, privacy and a beautiful coastline.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is during the spring or autumn, when the lagoon is flocked with over 400 species of birds: during the autumn, the temperature averages at around 20 degrees, while in the spring it sits at around 18 degrees.
- Fly to Casablanca International Airport, and either book a taxi or a Grand Taxi to Oualidia. It's about a 2 hour drive.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Morocco
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Oualidia
Best Hotels in Oualidia
La Sultana Oualidia Oualidia 12 rooms from £278Swimming Pool - Outdoor infinity poolSpa - Spa poolSailing - Can be booked nearby.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet, I Escape, Small Luxury Hotels
Luxurious Moroccan get-away off the beaten track on the Atlantic coast in Oualidia, secluded from the tourist hubbub. Classic Moroccan architecture meets spa idyll with a host of treatments and pools. We recommend for well-being, tranquillity, privacy and a beautiful coastline. See More