What a brilliant website. I shall speak of it far & wide ! David Campbell.
Search the best hotels in The Hague
About The Hague
Unusually, The Hague is seat of the Netherlands' parliament, and home to the royal family, but it's not the capital city. So it's home to many of the country's great palaces and opulent embassies and mansions, which line The Hague's beautiful green boulevards, and many of the nation's best museums and galleries, but it doesn't feel quite so frenetic as Amsterdam. Many of the best places to stay in The Hague have been converted from the city's stunning mansions, but there's choice at the less grand end of the scale too. Adjacent to The Hague is Scheveningen, the Netherlands' most popular seaside resort.
The Hague doesn't have the canal networks of other Dutch cities, and its wide boulevards and Baroque and classical 18th Century mansions lend it a feel of Continental Europe. And of course it's on the seafront. The nicest architecture and most of the main sights can be found between the city centre and the sea.
Plein, which translates to 'square' is one of the old city's most charming, with some of The Hague's most historic buildings, as well as a good selection of outdoor cafes and shopping opportunities. Just northwest of the Plein is the Binnenhof - parliament house - which was once a castle surrounded by a moat. Also nearby is the small but impressive art collection of the Mauritshuis, which includes Vermeer's Girl with a Pearl Earring and View of Delft.
The Hague is often in the news in its capacity as home of the International Court of Justice - which is definitely worth seeing, and the International Criminal Court, and there are many UN and EU institutions who have their headquarters here. So the city has a pretty international flavour. And, like the rest of the Netherlands, The Hague is extremely friendly to cyclists.
WHAT NOT TO MISS
- The Escher in Het Paleis (mathematical museum) houses works by the prominent Dutch artist M.C. Escher who applies mathematics and geometry to his graphic art.
- Admire the architectural beauty of the 15th century gothic styled Grote of Sint-Jaconskerk church, one of the tallest buildings in The Hague.
- The Binnenhof castle situated along the lake is one of the city's most iconic buildings and another excellent example of gothic architecture. (Best viewed by boat from the lake.)
- The Mauritshuis Museum is a cultural must in The Hague boasting some of the finest Dutch Golden Age paintings including ‘The Girl With the Pearl Earring’ by Johannes Vermeer.
But don't forget that this is a busy year round destinatinon and the top hotels fill up fast, so if you want to be sure of a bed in one of the best places to stay in The Hague, get organised and book well ahead.
Best for Luxury
- Formerly a Palace, the Hotel des Indes, offers palatial rooms, a fabulous spa and one of the best central locations.
- For a more contemporary approach the Residenz Stadstogement boasts chic urban style in the trendy Duinoord neighbourhood.
Best for Boutique
- The Paleis Hotel is a lovely, 20 room boutique hotel with a romantic feel. Rooms are sophisticated and you're right in the centre of town by the Binnenhof.
Best for Foodies
The Hotel Savarin is a very reasonable canal side hotel with large rooms and suites and a Michelin recommended restaurant. There's also spa facilities and extra facilities for kids.
Best for Under €100
- The Hotel Mozaic, located in the beautiful Archipel area, provides a chic base for travellers looking for something a little different.
- The Hotel Savarin fabulous canal side hotel and spa with a Michelin recommended restaurant all at a very reasonable rate.
For an apartment
- If you've decided that you'd prefer to book an apartment, we recommend you visit our online booking partner, booking.com, where you'll find a wide range from budget to boutique.
Fly to Rotterdam The Hague Airport located 20km from the city centre or arrive at one of the two major train stations that serve both domestic and international routes.
The Hague is a year round destination but the summer months of June - August have the most temperate weather averaging around 19°C.
For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in The Hague
Hotel Mozaic The Hague 25 rooms from £87
Located in the beautiful Archipel area Mozaic provides a chic base for travellers looking for something different. Rooms are modern, with black white and silver palettes, some with open plan bathrooms all with music systems and coffee making machines. Free wifi makes this a hipster haven!Sights nearby - Plein 1813, Panorama Mesdag, and the Peace Palace are all close to the hotelDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.House party feel - Be prepared to meet people.Quirky - An experience!
Hotel Savarin The Hague from £86
Fabulous canal side hotel and spa with a Michelin recommended restaurant. Large rooms and suites have light wooden floors, all the mod cons, and large comfy beds. Lovely terraces have canal views, fantastic food, and extensive spa facilities. A lively spot for all out pampering.Foodies - Michelin recommended restaurant.Spa breaksCity StyleLuxury
Paleis Hotel The Hague 20 rooms from £95
A gorgeous little boutique hotel with romantic bedrooms. Rooms and deluxe rooms have sophisticated furnishings and all the mod cons. Access to all the attractions. A romantic spot, but also family friendly.City StyleGourmetSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
Hotel des Indes The Hague 92 rooms from £152
Formerly a city palace, this property has always been a luxurious abode. Located in the heart town it is perfect for exploring by foot. Its 92 rooms range from small to palatial and all are tastefully decorated. There is also a pool, spa, restaurant, bar, meeting rooms and even cigar lounge.SafeRestaurant - Recommended.Sights nearby - Take the lift up The Hague Tower for panoramic views of the cityDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
Residenz Stadslogement The Hague 6 rooms from £165
This property is located in a quiet corner of the trendy Duinoord neighbourhood. The rooms are "urban chic" and decorated in shades of grey, exposed woods and animal prints. All have their own espresso machine. Whilst only breakfast is served, the cities bars and restaurants are a stones throw away.Sights nearby - Located close to the Museon, Peace Palace, and the beautiful Panorama MesdagDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Great walks - Good for walkers.Quirky - An experience!