Search the best hotels in Arequipa
Just below the Aguada Blancas National Park in south west Peru, Arequipa was once Peru’s capital, but is now a relatively hidden gem. Surrounded by volcanoes, the city’s spectacular architecture, including an historic city centre and an impressive cathedral, sits majestically beside the Socobaya river. As well as the architecture, Arequips is known for its vibrant night life, and is an ideal place from which to start your explorations into Peru’s countryside - the Colca Canyon is close by, which is arguably one of the greatest natural sights in South America. We’ve selected the best hotel in Arequipa to get the most out of this eclectic city.
What not to miss:
- Colca Canyon - Arguably one of the greatest spectacles in South America, Colca Canyon is an unadulterated wilderness of breath-taking beauty. Hire a guide for a three-day trek down to the refreshing river at the bottom, and look out for condors! Once at the bottom, there are a few small hotels that your guide will be able to navigate you to (some of which have swimming pools…). Be warned, you will be walking back up the canyon at the end of the trip so perhaps go for a day tour if you don’t want a steep trek!
- Plaza de Armas - A stunning square in which to grab a coffee, drink or bite and watch the sun go down. Many of the restaurants and cafes are located on top of the historic buildings so keep your eyes peeled!
- Cathedral of Arequipa Museum - Need to give your legs a break? Visit this museum to witness some extraordinary artwork and fascinating artifacts from the city’s Catholic heritage.
- Monasterio de Santa Catalina - If you’re trying to escape the midday heat, why not visit this stunning example of colonial architecture. The monastery is a maze of plazas, fountains and cobblestone streets.
- El Misti - a majestic volcano, towering over the city. Spectacular to look at, active visitors can hike to the summit, although a good level of fitness is advised, especially as the altitude can take its toll.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Arequipa provide visitors a fantastic place to unwind with easy access to the city centre.
The best places to stay in Arequipa
For great value
- Le Foyer Hostel is ideal for all travellers on a budget. It offers a range of bright, clean rooms, right in the historic centre of Arequipa. The icing on the cake is the superb roof terrace, where breakfast is served and where you'll also find the bar - perfect for sundowners after a busy day exploring!
For Colonial Style
- Casa Arequipa is a great example of colonial architecture and is situated in central Arequipa. It is decorated in a traditional style and offers colourfully decorated rooms featuring various pieces of antique furniture. Enjoy drinks on the rooftop bar or you can even reserve to have a private dinner there. An utterly charming city stay!
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer your own space, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a range of properties to suit visitors of all needs.
- Fly to Rodríguez Ballón International Airport located only 10km (6 miles) from Arequipa. The airport provides a range of domestic and international connections including to Lima and Cusco.
- If you want to rent a car, for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - the dry winter season from May to September typically provides visitors with mild temperatures and clear days, ideal for sightseeing.
Still not sure?
Browse our list of the best places to stay in Arequipa,
Extend your search to include all our Peru recommendations
Or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Monthly Weather in Arequipa
Best Hotels in Arequipa
Le Foyer Hostel Arequipa 24 rooms from £23Local exploring - With its central location, you are ideally placed for getting to know all of ArequipaOther Activities - Trips organised to the Kolka Canyon, 10,000ft deep gorgeSights nearby - Be sure to go visit the Basilica Cathedral, Fundo el Fierro colonial house or the 500 year old Monastery of Santa CatalinaGreat walks - Make the most out of the tours offered to go hiking around the canyons, volcanoes and waterfalls surrounding the city
The perfect choice for a budget stay in the historic heart of Arequipa. A wide choice of rooms (including shared dormitories) will suit all travellers. Interiors are simple but cheerful and spotlessly clean. But the piece de resistance is the fab roof terrace and superb city views. See More
Casa Arequipa Arequipa (Vallecito) 12 rooms from £44City Style - This property is situated just half a mile from Arequipa's main square, a perfect base from which to explore the cityBack to Nature - The hotel puts on tours to go visit the Colca Cannon, a breathtaking gorge more than 10,000 feet deepBirdwatching - On the Salinas Lagoon birdwatching tour you can catch great views of a variety of birds including eagles, flamingos and ducksSights nearby - Be sure to go visit the Basilica Cathedral, Fundo el Fierro colonial house or the 500 year old Monastery of Santa CatalinaRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This hotel is situated in central Arequipa. It is decorated in a traditionally colonial style and offers colourfully decorated rooms featuring various pieces of antique furniture. Enjoy drinks on the rooftop bar or you can even reserve to have a private dinner there. An utterly charming city stay! See More
Casa Andina Premium Arequipa 40 rooms from £107Local exploring - Located within easy walking distance of Arequipa's main attractions, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringCity Style - Set in a period property with many preserved, heritage details, this hotel has lots of chic city charmRomantic Break - Couples rate this heritage hotel highly; book a suite for added luxurySights nearby - Visit the Monastery of Santa Catalina de Siena, a 16th-century landmark religious complex located close to the hotelRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
An 18th-century mansion is the setting for this boutique bolt-hole in Arequipa's White City. The volcanic-stone facade gives way to stylish interiors with heritage tiles, vaulted ceilings and original artwork. Rooms are bright and overlook the chic hotel courtyard and restaurant; a refined stay. See More
Cirqa Arequipa 11 rooms from £354Local exploring - Set in the historic centre, this hotel has been designed in order for guests to experience the pretty and historic cityFoodies - Chef Maria Fe Garcia has created a menu rooted in tradition yet with a modern twist - a destination in its own rightBoutique - Expect chic minimalism set against historic grandeur in this beautifully designed boutique hotelSights nearby - The Santa Catalina monastery is well worth of a visitRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
A beautifully styled small boutique hotel set in an ancient house in the heart of historic Arequipa. Vast rooms with vaulted ceilings and exposed stone walls have been craftily fitted with large glass windows and chic minimalist furniture. With a fabulous courtyard restaurant, this is a unique stay. See More