- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Arequipa
Located just below the Aguada Blancas national park in South West Peru, Arequipa was a former capital city but is now a relatively hidden gem. Surrounded by volcanoes, the city sits majestically beside the Socobaya river with spectacular architecture, a historic city centre and a breath-taking Cathedral. Despite the amount of traditional architecture, there are many modern aspects to the city and it’s known for its vibrant night life. The city is also ideally placed to use as a launch pad to visit some of the most extraordinary countryside Peru has to offer, most notably, Colca Canyon. We’ve selected the best hotel in Arequipa to get the most out of this eclectic city.
What not to miss:
- Colca Canyon - Arguably one of the greatest spectacles in South America, Colca Canyon is an unadulterated wilderness of breath-taking beauty. Hire a guide for a three-day trek down to the refreshing river at the bottom, and look out for condors! Once at the bottom, there are a few small hotels that your guide will be able to navigate you to (some of which have swimming pools…). Be warned, you will be walking back up the canyon at the end of the trip so perhaps go for a day tour if you don’t want a steep trek!
- Plaza de Armas - A stunning square in which to grab a coffee, drink or bite and watch the sun go down. Many of the restaurants and cafes are located on top of the historic buildings so keep your eyes peeled!
- Cathedral of Arequipa Museum - Need to give your legs a break? Visit this museum to witness some extraordinary artwork and fascinating artifacts from the city’s Catholic heritage.
- Monasterio de Santa Catalina - If you’re trying to escape the midday heat, why not visit this stunning example of colonial architecture. The monastery is a maze of plazas, fountains and cobblestone streets.
- El Misti - a majestic volcano, towering over the city. Spectacular to look at, active visitors can hike to the summit, although a good level of fitness is advised, especially as the altitude can take its toll.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Arequipa provide visitors a fantastic place to unwind with easy access to the city centre.
The Best Places To Stay In Arequipa
For Colonial Style
- Casa Arequipa is a great example of colonial architecture and is situated in central Arequipa. It is decorated in a traditional style and offers colourfully decorated rooms featuring various pieces of antique furniture. Enjoy drinks on the rooftop bar or you can even reserve to have a private dinner there. An utterly charming city stay!
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer your own space, don't hesitate to visit our online partner, Booking.com for a range of properties to suit visitors of all needs.
- Fly to Rodríguez Ballón International Airport located only 10km (6 miles) from Arequipa. The airport provides a range of domestic and international connections including to Lima and Cusco.
- If you want to rent a car, for prices visit our online partner, Holiday Autos
- Best time to visit - the dry winter season from May to September typically provides visitors with mild temperatures and clear days, ideal for sightseeing.
Not sure what to book?
Browse our list of the best places to stay in Arequipa,
Extend your search to include all our Peru recommendations
Or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Best Hotels in Arequipa
Casa Arequipa 12 rooms from $136Arequipa (Vallecito)
This hotel is situated in central Arequipa. It is decorated in a traditionally colonial style and offers colourfully decorated rooms featuring various pieces of antique furniture. Enjoy drinks on the rooftop bar or you can even reserve to have a private dinner there. An utterly charming city stay!City Style - This property is situated just half a mile from Arequipa's main square, a perfect base from which to explore the cityBack to Nature - The hotel puts on tours to go visit the Colca Cannon, a breathtaking gorge more than 10,000 feet deepBirdwatching - On the Salinas Lagoon birdwatching tour you can catch great views of a variety of birds including eagles, flamingos and ducksSights nearby - Be sure to go visit the Basilica Cathedral, Fundo el Fierro colonial house or the 500 year old Monastery of Santa Catalina