Search the best hotels in Sabrosa
Sabrosa is situated in the heart of the UNESCO listed Duoro wine region and is famous for being the birthplace of Magellan. Our pick of the best places to stay in Sabrosa are both located slightly out of town and are great bases for exploring this beautiful area.
The town’s origins date back to prehistoric times. There are ancient remains of ‘Dolmen’ structures - many well preserved tombs, iron age relics of fortifications and Roman remains. Sabrosa was also the birthplace of the famous explorer Magellan (1480-1521) who was the first sailor to cross both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. In more recent times the town has been inextricably linked with the local wine industry for which the whole region has an international reputation. The town also has a reputation for other traditional activities including embroidery, tanneries, basketweaving and cheesemaking.
WHAT NOT TO MISS
- Quinto do Crasto - Have a ‘fairytale ‘ lunch at a private vineyard - complete with tour and tastings.
- Take a Duoro River Cruise and explore this World Heritage status area by boat
- Pinhao railway station is a gem with its blue tiles depicting the history of the area.
- Espaco Miguel Torga is an amazing modern museum dedicated to the life of the famous doctor, poet and writer.
This charming town is a busy place during the peak summer months, so if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Sabrosa in July or August, get organised and plan well ahead.
THE BEST PLACES TO STAY IN SABROSA
- Casa das Pipas. This fabulous guest house enjoys spectacular views of the surrounding wineries and vineyards. The restaurant is excellent and the rooms are charmingly traditional, plus there's a pool for lazy days. A truly romantic getaway.
For great value
- Casa de Vilarinho de Sao Romao is a traditional and charming ‘quinta’. The rooms are colonial in style with breathtaking views of vineyards. Have breakfast on the terrace or by the pool. Ideal spot for walking and hiking. A peaceful haven and great value for money.
For an apartment or Villa
- If you think that you'd prefer a self-catering property, check out the options with our online partner, Booking.com.
- Porto is the nearest major airport - just over 70 miles west of the town.
- The best time to visit Sabrosa is during the summer months when the average temperatures are 25 degrees celcius.
- If you want to hire a car, which we'd strongly advise if you want to see more of the Douro Valley, visit our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include all our recommended properties in Northern Portugal
- or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Monthly Weather in Sabrosa
Best Hotels in Sabrosa
Casa de Vilarinho de Sao Romao Sabrosa 6 rooms from £78Writing a novel - Enjoy the peaceful location of the hotel, plus rooms come with writing desks.Country Escape - Located in a wine region with lovely views and an outdoor pool on site.Great walks - There are some great hikes in the surrounding region, maps and walking notes are provided by the hotel.Sights nearby - The 15th century chapel nearby is a fascinating sight for any history buffs.
Casa das Pipas Sabrosa 10 rooms from £95Restaurant - Recommended.Great walks - Good for walkers.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRomantic - Good for couples.
Casa das Pipas is a fabulous guest house in the heart of the Douro (a UNESCO World Heritage site) with magnificent views of the surrounding wineries and a relaxing swimming pool. Fine wines and a superb restaurant headed by Chef Milton Ferreira. Authentically decorated rooms with charming features. See More