- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Bratislava
With the ever growing popularity of Eastern European cities for both regular tourists and the odd stag do, the range of choices on our Guru's recommended list of the best places to stay in Bratislava has expanded accordingly.
Bratislava promises a colourful mix of nature's beauty and man's design. A castle-topped capital surrounded by flood plains and forests with a blend of medieval and Socialist architecture, this small city is a place brimming with fascinating contrasts.
"Small", "cosy" and "eclectic" are the words you'll find in the guide books to Bratislava. Walking is the best way to explore Bratislava and the best place to start is the recently restored Bratislava Castle which stands on the hill providing breathtaking views overlooking the city.
Then wander down to the city centre to check out St. Martin’s Cathedral where the Hungarian Monarchs were crowned from the 16th to the 19th century. Michael’s Gate, the Primate’s Palace, the Academia Istropolitana and Grassalkovich Palace and the popular, quirky street statues are all here. Both the Slovak National Gallery and National Museum are worth a visit, as is the Holocaust Museum.
And when you're done with 'the old' check out some of the more modern art galleries and the Socialist era architecture.
If you want to venture further afield, Bratislava is a great base for popping to Vienna, or jump on a boat down the Danube and catch a glimpse of the ruined Devin Castle.
You don't have to stroll far from the city centre before you start to feel the presence of dense woods around the city - it's just a 30 minute walk from the train station to the Small Carpathians (the lower of this mountain range), where there's hiking, vineyards and skiing in season.
The city has a very buzzy atmosphere with plenty of restaurants, cafes and bars to be discovered in the maze of pedestrian streets and squares of the tiny old town. If you want a truly Slovak experience try Prasna Basta Restaurant which is always packed with locals or alternatively give Slovenska Restauracia a try.
What not to miss:
- Be sure to visit the Bratislava Castle standing proud on the hill providing breathtaking views of the city.
- Make a stop at St. Martin’s Cathedral, where the Hungarian Monarchs were crowned.
- The Slovak National Gallery, National Museum and Holocaust Museum all lend fascinating perspectives on Slovakia's past.
- Get out of the city for the day and go hiking or skiing in the surrounding mountains.
As with all increasingly popular destinations, the best places to stay in Bratislava can get booked up well in advance. So plan well ahead, or else visit ths city in the quieter months, when there's less competition for the top properties!
For a city break
Marrol’s has wonderful retro style and spirit, with lots of treasures kept on from the 20s and 30s. Once a stylish townhouse, now one of the best places to stay in Bratislava for a stylish city break, this whole property proclaims 'old fashioned luxury' to guests - who'll be greeted by name by white-gloved bellmen.
The Art Hotel William is a smart, modern hotel in a great spot in Bratislava's Old Town. There's a strong colour scheme in the spacious rooms, making this feel like a sophisticated place to stay.
- The Hotel Arcadia in the heart of the Old Town offers five star decor and service, including award winning traditional Slovak cuisine, an extensive spa menu and classically elegant interiors - and all in a charming 13th Century building.
- The Hotel Albrecht is often thought of as one of the best places to stay in Bratislava, with a reputation for magnificence - but state-of-the-art, of course. It's also got a great spa and an excellent restaurant, and the outside of the hotel will really impress you.
For city chic
- Loft Hotel is a stylish, urban destination in the centre of Slovakia's capital complete with sleek, contemporary rooms and a lively bar and beerhouse.
On a budget
- Antares is a four star, budget priced hotel in an upscale residential location - so you get peace, privacy and city views with state of the art equipment and a lovely garden and terrace starting from £42 per night.
- The Hotel Arcus is a small, family run B&B, also conveniently positioned for Bratislava's main sights, with big rooms and a sunny garden and terrace.
- Penzion Virgo is a Baroque style pension house within walking distance of the charming Old Town. As well as generously proportioned rooms and suites, the Penzion Virgo also has several guest apartments with their own catering facilities. It's great value too with rooms starting from £62 per night.
- Well located for the major sights, the Skaritz Hotel and Residence has a mix of 20 rooms, suites and apartments, and an understated elegance. So its great for discerning families and groups. Room rates start from £64 per night.
- Mama’s Design & Boutique Hotel is designed to be homely and relaxing, with luxurious rooms done in warm tones with subtle lighting. As well as the hot tub on the terrace and great spa facilities there's also a gym - in case you find exercise relaxing...
- The Kempinski Hotel River Park Bratislava has a luxurious spa and many of its rooms and public spaces offer beautiful views of the Danube. The whole vibe is bright and airy, with upmarket service and a great restaurant.
- Set in a beautifully renovated 19th century palace, the Wilson Palace Hotel is alive with opulence and grandeur.
For an apartment
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner, booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Fly to Bratislava Airport which has good connections across Europe or to Vienna International Airport located 40km from Bratislava.
- Travel by train to Bratislava hlavná stanica (Bratislava's international station).
- Best time to visit - In general, the climate is continental, with short, fairly hot summers and chilly winters. Spring can be the best time to visit, as the days tend to warm quickly, with consistently pleasant, mild weather for most of May.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Bratislava,
expand your search to the best places to stay in Slovakia.
Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Bratislava
Kempinski Hotel River Park Bratislava 231 rooms from $232Bratislava
Bratislava's luxurious gem on the banks of the river Danube. Contemporary and colourful, yet classic and very pleasant. An upmarket restaurant offering wonderful organic cuisine and a spoiling spa. A sophisticated choice for exploring the city.City Style - A luxury property offering panoramic views of the Danube River or the castle hill, as well as heli pad and private river pier.Sights nearby - The Primate's Palace is renowned to be one of Bratislava's most beautiful.Local markets - Visit the local farmers market in the Old Town Hall.Swimming Pool - Indoor Pool.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
Hotel Arcadia 33 rooms from $125Bratislava
A stunning boutique hotel in the Old Town with five star looks and services. Slovak cuisine served in an atmospheric vaulted cellar, an excellent spa, and Rooms in classical historical style. Magical interiors that are not too glitzy or pricey. A tasteful city spot.City Style - An elegant 5* boutique hotel in a 13th-century building in Bratislava's Old Town boasting Library Bar and antique furnishings.Sights nearby - Visit the imposing Bratislava Castle or the beautiful Primate's Palace.Spa5* Luxury - Very high service standards.
Wilson Palace Hotel 30 rooms from $154Bratislava
Set in a beautifully renovated 19th century palace, the hotel is alive with opulence and grandeur. Rooms are fittingly palatial with grand ornate beds and tasteful artwork. The Fabrika is an atmospheric place to enjoy a beer in the evening. An ideal place for a weekend of exploring Bratislava.City Style - A sleek and historic choice, with meticulous interiors, welcome wine, and a trendy on site restaurant and bar.Local exploring - Within twenty minutes walk of Bratislava's major sights such as the Castle and the historic old town.Business meetings - Its excellent conference room facilities and central location make it perfect for business meetings.Sights nearby - A leisurely twenty minute walk from Michalska Tower and Bratislava Castle.
Loft Hotel 121 rooms from $72Bratislava
A stylish, urbane hotel in the centre of Slovakia's capital. With sleek, contemporary rooms and a lively bar and beerhouse, it's a place that reflects the vibrancy and up-and-coming feel of Bratislava. With cheap rooms available, it's a superb value for money option.Local exploring - Perfect for exploring the city, just a stones throw away from the Presidential Palace and the Old Town area.Value chic - Well priced loft-style rooms in a central location, views over the Presidential Palace and chic wine bar.Sights nearby - Slovakia's Presidential Palace is with five minutes walk and the Bratislava Castle is fifteen.Local markets - Explore the local Slovakian markets in Bratislava city centre.
Hotel Arcus 13 rooms from $129Bratislava
A small family-run B&B in a leafy area of Bratislava. Rooms are extremely spacious with unusually high ceilings, and some of them have their own balcony. A charming garden with a terrace for relaxing after a day exploring the city. Well placed for local exploring.Local exploring - Situated in a residential and quiet area but just a ten minute walk from the Old Town.Great walks - Wander around the pretty old town and admire the neo-gothic styled architecture.Sights nearby - Visit the impressive Bratislava Castle, cathedral and palace.
Mama’s Design & Boutique Hotel 15 rooms from $121Bratislava
A spoiling place, impressively designed yet also homely and relaxing. Luxurious rooms with subtle lighting and warm tones. Fantastic gym facilities, hot tub relaxation on the top terrace, and sushi in the restaurant. A great choice in a quiet area near Bratislava's historical monuments.Sights nearby - Visit one of the many castles including the Bratislava castle that stands impressively above the city.Great walks - Stroll around the pretty Neo-Gothic old town.Swimming Pool - Indoor Pool
Penzion Virgo 11 rooms from $82Bratislava
Boutique style pension house within walking distance of the Old Town and Grassalkovich Palace. Its range of contemporary accommodation - from spacious guest rooms to apartments with kitchenettes - make it an ideal spot for groups or families.Families - The large self catering apartments make this an ideal spot for families exploring Bratislava.Great walks - The hotel provides free city maps and guides, head out and explore the beautiful Old Town.Sights nearby - This central hotel is just 200m from the historic Presidential Palace.
Marrol’s 54 rooms from $210Bratislava
Well designed luxurious hotel cleverly set in the heart of the city sprinkled with the 20's and 30's retro style spirit. Elegant rooms in muted tones and natural fabrics. The spa is very special in its neoclassical style and offers a spoiling experience. One of the best in Bratislava.Total relaxation - Seemless service and style create a relaxed retreat, whether it's a stiff drink by the lobby fire or a cocktail on the terrace.City Style - An elegant boutique hotel in an 18th century classic burgher’s house, right in the heart of the historic Old Town.Sights nearby - Walking distance from the Main Square with the Old City Hall.Full of characterRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Antares 26 rooms from $93Bratislava
A well priced hotel in an idyllic residential location. Peace, seclusion and lovely views over the city. Tasteful rooms with state-of-the-art equipment, sunny garden terrace, and a restaurant serving Slovak specialities. A lovely spa with a sauna and jacuzzi. An excellent base to explore the city.Local exploring - The handy location just steps from the historic centre makes this an ideal base for exploring the city.Sights nearby - The Bratislava castle is nearby as is the historic centre with its many sights.Spa
Art Hotel William 40 rooms from $101Bratislava
Smart contemporary hotel in an excellent location in the Old Town. Modern comforts and classical elegance combine in spacious rooms in reds, blues and creams. A sophisticated choice in a central location.Sights nearby - Just a 15 minute walk from the The Bratislava Castle.
Skaritz Hotel and Residence 20 rooms from $87Bratislava
Trendy hotel in the heart of the Old Town. Understated elegance throughout. Spacious rooms in muted tones and excellent service. A great choice for business or leisure. Close to tourist attractions and the financial district. Offers great value.City Style - A contemporary hotel in an historic building in the heart of Bratislava's pedestrianized Old TownSights nearby - Visit the imposing Bratislava Castle or Hrad that sits on a hill overlooking the city.Great walks - Wander around the cobbled streets of the surrounding Old Town.Spa
Hotel Albrecht 12 rooms from $113Bratislava
With award-winning interiors this hotel deserves its reputation as one of Bratislava’s finest. A magnificent building in a hilly neighbourhood with state-of-the-art rooms, fantastic spa, and an excellent restaurant. It has everything for a spoiling weekend away.Total relaxation - Indulge yourself at this luxury hotel with cigars and whiskey in the lounge followed by a spa session in the aroma steam room.City Style - An elegant boutique 5*, with balconies overlooking the Danube, sleek interiors, pampering service and an excellent restaurant.Sights nearby - Just a ten minute walk from Bratislava Castle.Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolRecommended by - Kiwi Collection