Basque Country, Spain
Search the best hotels in Basque Country, Spain
About Basque Country, Spain
The Basque Country is different. The landscape is more dramatic than the rest of Spain: the topography more varied and the coastline up against the Atlantic is rocky in a spectacular kind of way. Its cuisine is also different. And well known by even those with only a passing interest in food. And of course the culture is different. Which comes, in part from the region traditionally having its own language. If you’re just dipping your toe into this region then the best places to stay in the Basque Country will probably be in Bilbao or San Sebastián, both known for their food and strong Basque culture. But if you’re really exploring the region - and it’s certainly a rewarding place for the curious to travel through - then you’ll find many of our Guru’s recommendations for the best places to stay in the Basque country in lovely rural spots or small towns. There are some beautiful converted farmhouses and castles in their list, and some great value offerings as well.
Places not to miss:
You might not have realised that Vitoria-Gasteiz is the capital of the Basque Country. It's a surprisingly modest city, as far as the outside world is concerned, but one with a truly wonderful old centre, the kind of pintxo (Basque tapas) bars and restaurants you'd expect from the capital of such a food-loving region, and an art gallery to rival Bilbao's. One of the charms of Vitoria-Gasteiz's old town is the fact that the medieval names of the narrow streets have been kept - and they pretty much describe the business which went on along each of them. The old town is where you'll find the famous Catedral de Santa Maria, which sticks out of the skyline like the highlight it is.
Most outsiders think Bilbao is the region’s capital, the 'urban phoenix' - a colourful phrase reflecting the city's rise from a decaying industrial city to cultural powerhouse - known for food, football and the Guggenheim. Bilbao isn't the prettiest of cities, but since the opening of the Guggenheim in 1997 several other architectural treasures have sprung up and lent the whole city a much more dramatic look. At the other end of the architectural scale is the Basilica de Begona - which sits like Sacre Coeur on a hill, the Catedral de Santiago, and the neatness of the Parque de Dona Casilda.
San Sebastián is the Basque Country’s other main city, and one blessed with two of the few really nice city beaches in Europe - Playa de la Concha, right near some of the city's major historical buildings, and Playa de Gros, where there's also great surfing. It also has the wonderful culinary culture of the Basque country, a lively and beautiful old town, the Parte Vieja, and plenty of interesting local museums, markets and charming old buildings.
Aside from the cities, Hondarribia on the French border is another great gastronomic centre, Getaria is known for its seafood, Guernica is a famous and culturally significant stop, Alava is known for its wines, grown in the rolling foothills of the Pyrenees, and Eleciego, especially is worth a visit, for Frank Gehry’s amazing architectural tribute to wine. And then of course there are the rocky peaks and lush valleys…
Our guide to the best places to stay in the Basque Country has something for all tastes and budgets whether you're looking for a cheap and cheerful B&B or no-holds-barred, five star luxury.
The best places to stay in the Basque Country
On the Basque Country’s Coastline
Spain's northern coastline is a stunning sight, lashed by the Atlantic and full of pretty seaside towns and villages. Our favourite places to stay are ideal for those who like to be close to the sea.
- Iturregi, in Guipúzcua, just along the coast from San Sebastián, is a gorgeous country house hotel in a rural setting. There are eight spacious rooms and suites, which have been beautifully furnished and have enormous bathrooms, plus lovely gardens, a pool and terraces. Romantic, as well as being close to the sea.
- Zubieta is a charming, traditional, 18th century building in the seaside town of Lekeitio, with 23 characterful rooms complete with antique furnishings. There’s a great bar, complete with lovely original features and tapas in the evening.
- The Hotel Embarcadero is in the heart of the port town of Gexto, and has 27 rooms, all with wonderful views over the bay and the river. There’s also a terrace where you can enjoy traditional Basque food and drink.
- Saiaz Getaria is a charming hotel in the charming seaside town of Getaria. It has 17 rooms, some with breathtaking sea views and it is just steps from the beach.
- Hotel Obispo is located in the centre of Honarribia, literally just across the border from St Jean de Luz, in France's Basque region. It has sixteen traditional rooms and is both close to the beach and bars, cafes restaurants in town.
- If you’re in Bilbao to see the Guggenheim, stay at the the Miro Hotel, which is just opposite it, and right by the river. Sleek and modern with plenty of glass, this hotel is more than just a cookie-cutter modern hotel, it's got its own feel to it - as well as having all the mod. cons. you can imagine and fantastic views. It is also great value.
- The Gran Hotel Domine is also close to the Guggenheim, and it borrows some of the museum's cache of cool by having its different areas designed according to different artistic eras. So you have the Bauhaus bit, the Sixties section and the 90s minimalist area.
- Or, if you prefer your hotels elegant and traditional, the Hotel Carlton, with its beautiful facade and traditional charms is for you.
For San Sebastián
- For something special in San Sebastián, stay at the Hotel Maria Cristina, a magnificent Belle Epoque palace with 136 gorgeously decorated rooms and suites. Each room has glamorous furniture and great art on the walls, and there's two restaurants. It really is like staying in a palace.
- The Hotel Villa Soro is close to the beach, and some fantastic restaurants, but it also has the peaceful grounds, sophisticated rooms and larger living spaces of a country house hotel. Yet you're just a short stroll from the old town.
- San Sebastián’s Astoria7 is a sleek and contemporary hotel themed around the city’s Film Festival, with rooms featuring stars of the silver screen, and from behind the camera.
- Right on the beach is the Hotel de Londres y de Inglaterra. One of San Sebastian's original hotels, it is as good as ever.
- La Casa de los Arquillos is an eight room hotel with a B&B vibe and chic, minimalist decor. Beautifully lit with natural light, this is a great base for the attractions, and restaurants of Vitoria-Gasteiz - you're right by the cathedral.
- The Hotel Araba is a sophisticated, 20 room hotel with chic, simple decor and floor to ceiling windows. There’s a very good restaurant specialising in Basque cuisine and you’re close to the attractions of Vitoria-Gasteiz.
For a Rustic Escape
There is so much more to the region than its major cities. Read on for our selection of the best truly rural places to stay in Spain's Basque Country.
- Hotel Ibarra is the perfect pick for those who want to get away from it all and switch off. Its fourteen individually designed rooms ard suites are relaxing havens come winter or summer.
- Urune Hotela and Aldori Landetxea are both rustic hideaways in the Urdaibai Nature Reserve.
- Etxegana is a glorious country retreat where you can enjoy mountain views, forest walks, horse riding and much more.
- Hotel Boutique Goiko Benta is about as off-grid as you can get. It's the ideal stop over if you're walking north Spain's pilgrimage route.
- Torre de Zumelzegi is another good choice for walkers wanting a stop over. It's just a bit nearer civilization!
This region is a mecca for foodies and it's fair to say that wherever you stay will be a good choice. But here's our pick of the best places to stay in Basque Country, Spain that have excellent restaurants on site.
- Iriarte Jauregia is a gorgeous country house hotel, surrounded by beautiful countryside. Bailara restaurant offers top-end haute cuisine that showcases the best of the region.
- Hospederia de los Parajes is another pick in the Rioja wine country. It has two restaurants on site (both excellent), you just have to decide whether to be formal or informal....
- Eguren Ugarte is yet another fabulous property in wine country - it's situated amid its own vines - and yet another with two excellent on site options - gastronomic journey one day, more traditional fare the next!
- Castillo de Arteaga enjoys a stunning location in the Urdaibai Nature Reserve. This historic property boasts just thirteen luxury rooms and a gourmet restaurant.
- For Michelin Star dining, don't miss the Marques de Riscal, a stunning creation from Frank Gehry, in Rioja country.
- Hotel Viura is also great for foodies. It's a fine modern design hotel in a village location with lovely roof terrace with a view, and fantastic gourmet restaurant.
For value for money
You don't need deep pockets to enjoy a holiday here. We've found some of the best places to stay in Basque Country, Spain that you can book for as little as €70 per night.
- For a similar room rate you could stay in the Hotel Ibarra in the beautiful Salcedo Valley. There are 14 rooms in this rustic-chic villa, all with terracotta coloured walls, wooden floors and beautifully tiled bathrooms. There’s also a pretty breakfast terrace and lovely gardens.
- Hotel Araba is a cheap'n'chic option in Vitoria-Gasteiz, the region's capital. Twenty contemporary rooms and a long established restaurant make this a good choice. And doubles start from around €75 per night.
- For a cheap city break, Astoria 7 is excellent value. You're right in the centre of San Sebastian and doubles can be had for as little as €74 per night.
- Another great find in Vitoria-Gasteiz, Casa de Los Arquillos also works for those on a budget. Stunning contemporary rooms and lofts, and prices from just €80.
- And finally for unbeatable five star luxury at bargain basement prices, you can bag a room in Bilbao's Hotel Carlton for only €99 per night.
Spain's Basque Country is a wonderful family friendly destination, there's simply so much to see and do for all ages from culture and food in the main citiies to surfing on the coast or hiking or horse-riding for outdoorsy types.
- Saiaz Getaria in Getaria is ideal for families on a budget, with good family sized rooms and a great location just outside San Sebastián.
- The Urune Hotela is a gorgeous converted farmhouse outside Guernica, with eight rooms and family suites. You’re surrounded by green, but you’re also close to the beach and there are lots of day trips you could take from here.
- The Aldori Landetxea is in the Urdalbai Nature Reserve, and offers plenty of space, plus six bedrooms and a communal living area complete with board games.
- Palacio Urgoiti is a great choice for families who want to be near Bilbao, but not stay in the city. It's got a good range of family friendly rooms and fabulous onsite faciilities including pitch and putt course and swimming pool.
- Finally how about the Hotel Obispo, whose family rooms sleep up to four? It's very close to San Sebastian airport and is ideally located for both beach and culture.
For an apartment or villa
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our onine booking partner, Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Fly to either Bilbao or Biarritz. The smaller San Sebastian airport has connections to other major Spanish cities including Madrid and Barcelona.
- Best time to visit - The Basque country is a year round destination, but obviously if you want warm, beach weather come betweeen June and September when temperatures average around the mid twenties celcius.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in the Basque Country for you?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in the Basque Country,
- Expand your search to include all our recommendations in neighbouring Cantabria, or France's Basque region.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Basque Country, Spain
Best Hotels in Basque Country, Spain
Hotel Nafarrola Bermeo, Basque Country, Spain 8 rooms from £95Exclusive offer - 5% off through The Hotel GuruRomantic Break - Hotel Nafarrola is ideal for a couples' break with its hideaway location, great food and chic rooms with tubs for twoValue chic - Beautifully designed accommodation, plus excellent food and rooms with a very reasonable price tagViews - The property enjoys stunning views both towards the sea and of the surrounding mountainsShort break - Being very close to Bilbao Airport makes this place ideal for a short country getaway
A stunning minimalist, rustic-chic eco hotel in the heart of Basque country. Gorgeous simple rooms offer a white backdrop accented by natural materials (think exposed wood and stone walls) and all feature a luxurious in-room spa tub for two. Zero miles cuisine. A grown-up oasis for total relaxation. See More
Aldori Landetxea BI, Basque Country, Spain 6 rooms from £61Value chic - With stylish contemporary rooms from as little as €70 per night (they go up to €80 in high season), it's excellent value.Families - Plenty of space to run around, gardens, boardgames and extra beds accommodate children.Back to Nature - Located in the stunning biological reserve, surrounded by forests and nature.Birdwatching - Set in the Biospehere Reserve of Urdaibai, there are lots of birds in the area.
In the Urdaibai Reserve, this six bedroom house offers artistically decorated rooms with stone walls, wooden beams, funky art and large terraces. A chill out area with wifi, board games and a TV. Rooms have central heating and there are fireplaces as well. Chic, cosy and comfortable. See More
Astoria7 San Sebastian (Donostia-San Sebastián) 102 rooms from £64Value chic - Sleek contemporary rooms and suites with prices from as little as €74 per nightCity Style - A modern property with individually designed rooms right in the centre of townQuirky - The hotel is themed around cinema and the San Sebastian Film FestivalSurfing - Zurriola beach has perfect breaks for surfers and a local shop hires out all the kitRecommended by - I Escape
Hotel Ibarra Mimetiz, Basque Country, Spain 14 rooms from £64Local exploring - Fantastic sights and adventures to be had close to this peaceful hotel - from Guggenheim in Bilbao to country horse ridesSights nearby - Pozalagua caves in the rural vales of Karrantza are 20 minutes away, or you're just 15 mins from BilbaoGreat walks - There area loads of paths to choose from and the Santiago Way passes right by the propertyViews - All the rooms boast stunning views over the surrounding countryside.
Rustic-chic villa in Salcedo valley. Gorgeous guestrooms have terracotta coloured walls, wooden floors and beautifully tiled bathrooms. Enjoy breakfast on the pretty terrace or in the gardens. Cosy lounge with big fireplaces and plenty of art to enjoy. Ideal for a slow-paced break in the region. See More
Hotel Araba Vitoria-Gasteiz 20 rooms from £65City Style - A chic modern hotel complete with contemporary rooms, excellent restaurant and within walking distance of the city centre.Value chic - With smart accommodation starting from as little as €72 per night, it's excellent value for money.Local exploring - An excellent base for exploring both Vitoria-Gasteiz and the surrounding Basque countrysideSights nearby - Visit the Vitoria Cathedral and wander around the historic centre.
A sophisticated and grown up hotel with good links to the city centre. The chic simple rooms feature crisp white linen, floor to ceiling windows, parquet flooring and contemporary bathrooms. The long-standing restaurant serves exemplary regional cuisine. An ideal base for a city break. See More
Zenit San Sebastian San Sebastian 78 rooms from £65Local exploring - Set in the charming Amara neighbourhood of San Sebastián, book this hotel as a base for your local exploringFamilies - Families are well-catered to at this hotel, with spacious, interconnecting family rooms availableCity Style - With modern interior design and a central location, this hotel has lots of chic city charmGreat walks - Explore the old town on a long walk through cobbled streets, stopping at the vibrant pintxo bars for drinks on the way
This four-star hotel offers bright, contemporary accommodation in the heart of San Sebastián, on the coast of the Basque Country. With a variety of suites, including spacious family rooms, this hotel caters to all types of guests. Sample regional dishes at the restaurant before a dip in the hot tub. See More
Hotel Boutique Goiko Benta Oñate, Basque Country, Spain 10 rooms from £67Local exploring - For those who want to explore the Basque countryside, it's an ideal baseGreat walks - Wonderful walking on the Ignatian Way trail.Restaurant - Excellent on site restaurant specialising in local Basque cuisine with many ingredients sourced from its veggie gardenSights nearby - Visit the Arantzazu Sanctuary two minutes walk away.
La Casa de los Arquillos Vitoria-Gasteiz 16 rooms from £69Local exploring - An excellent base for a break in Vitoria-Gasteiz or exploring the wider are including the Rioja wineriesValue chic - Beautifully chic rooms and lofts with prices from as little as €80 per night.Sights nearby - The Cathedral of Santa Maria and Florida Park.Traditional - A traditional building with modern interiors.Recommended by - Sawdays
A fantastic little hotel with a B&B vibe. A traditional building in the Vitoria-Gasteiz's old town with just eight minimalist chic rooms, a further eight lofts, lots of natural light, and all the mod cons. Excellent value and right next to all the attractions and best restaurants. See More
Zubieta Lekeitio, Basque Country, Spain 23 rooms from £74Local exploring - A lovely hotel, perfect for exploring the beautiful surrounding Basque coastline, only five minutes walk from the beach..Cycling - The hotel is geared up for all cyclists and have plenty of onsite facilities from bike storage to rentalLocal markets - Get up early and head to the local markets of Lekeitio to pick up some regional treats.Sailing - An ideal port of call for a sailing trip around the Basque coast.
A charming traditional 18th century building, in the seaside town of Lekeitio. The characterful rooms are individually appointed with ornate beds and antique furnishings. The snug bar features original beaming and is a great place to enjoy a beer and some tapas in the evening. An enchanting spot. See More
Saiaz Getaria Getaria 17 rooms from £76Local exploring - The medieval port town of Getaria makes an ideal base for exploring Spain's Basque Country.Sights nearby - Situated in the historic centre of GetariaGreat walks - Walk the coastal path east to Zarautz.Views - Fantastic sea viewsRecommended by - I Escape
Urune Hotela Muxika, Basque Country, Spain 8 rooms from £78Value chic - A gorgeous period farmhouse with surprisingly contemporary interiors from only €90 per nightViews - Superb views to Gernika-Lumo and the Urdaibai estuaryGreat walks - The surrounding area is wonderful for walkers of all abillities, with many paths from the door.Local markets - Guernica for Monday markets.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
A gorgeous farmhouse hotel with contemporary chic rooms, wonderful views, and delicious food. Lots of greenery, family suites, and easy access to beaches, the nature reserve, and pretty neighbouring villages. A great value, family friendly spot with lots to do on the doorstep. See More
Hotel Katxi Basque Country, Spain 9 rooms from £82Back to Nature - In the Urdaibai Nature Reserve, an area of extraordinary beautyBeach Life - Sitauted near the Coast of BiscayTotal relaxationSailing - Spend days exploring the shoreline on a boat
A modern country hotel that mixes homespun charm with slick professionalism. Elegant rooms offer stunning views of the Basque countryside. The nearby Bay of Biscay is perfect for sailing, surfing and trekking. There's a large restaurant that serves exemplary Basque cuisine too. See More
Hotel Carlton Bilbao 142 rooms from £86Value chic - For a five star hotel it offers great value. Doubles can be had for as little as €99 per night.Local exploring - A luxurious base from which to explore both Bilbao and the surrounding area.City Style - A luxury five star stay in the centre of Bilbao.Restaurant - Fine dining in the Carlton Restaurant featuring both Basque and International cuisineRecommended by - CN Traveller
Hotel Viura Eskuernaga, La Rioja 33 rooms from £86Wine tasting - Located in the heart of Rioja wine country. There are regular tastings on site, plus visits can easily be arrangedArchitectural - Avant Garde architectureSwimming Pool - A public swimming pool attached to the property is open during summer months. Guests have free access.Views - Enjoy the views from the rooftop terrace with a glass of something coldRecommended by - Tablet, I Escape, Small Luxury Hotels
Hotel Obispo Hondarribia 16 rooms from £87Local exploring - A charming spot from which to explore both French and Spanish Basque countryViews - Views over the river Bidasoa, Txingudi bay and over to France.Traditional - Period details remain throughout the propertySailing - Sailing across the Bay of Biscay.
A charmingly traditional stone townhouse close to the beach. Simple rooms are all unique and feature wooden beamed ceilings, iron framed beds, and stone floors. Within striking distance of the best restaurants, the sea, and the nature park around. A good value spot for an active holiday. See More
Casa Nicolasa San Sebastian (San Sebastián) 11 rooms from £90Beach Life - Casa Nicolasa is just a minute from La Concha beach so you can easily spend your days lounging by the seaLocal exploring - This is a great option for those wanting to get to know beautiful San SabastiánCity Style - A chic little guesthouse ideally located on the Pinxto routeSights nearby - The historic Palacio Goikoa is well worth a visit
Casa Nicolasa guesthouse is situated just a short distance from the sea in coastal San Sebastián. It offers chic and contemporary accommodation with parquet floors and all rooms also come with a TV. Whether you fancy city exploring or beach dwelling, this great value spot is ideal for you! See More
Torre de Zumeltzegi Oñati, Basque Country, Spain 12 rooms from £94Local exploring - Ideally placed for exploring the rich culture and history of the Basque country.Active Holiday - Walking and horse riding expeditions can be organised by the hotel.Views - Stunning views both from the glass walled gallery on the top floor of the tower and from the terraceSights nearby - Sanctuary of Arantzazu is only four miles away and well worth checking out.
A beautifully restored 13th-century tower-house, in the Old Town of Oñati. The rustic-chic rooms boast original wooden beams, exposed stone walls and sweeping views of Spain's stunning Basque country. Feast on traditional Basque cuisine, and sip on local wines on the glass walled terrace. See More
Iriarte Jauregia Bidania, Basque Country, Spain 19 rooms from £100Sights nearby - 25 mins from the centre of San Sebastian and within easy striking distance of many interesting towns and villagesViews - Lovely views over the surrounding countryside and Mount ErnioRestaurant - Gourmet Bailara restaurantLocal markets - At Tolosa and OrdiziaRecommended by - Tablet, I Escape
A stately country house surrounded by beautiful grounds and valleys. Gorgeous rooms and suites have parquet floors, rugs, fireplaces and elegant furniture. Terraces dotted around have excellent views and there is a fantastic restaurant. Romantic, gourmet, and family friendly. See More
Palacio Urgoiti Mungia, Basque Country, Spain 43 rooms from £103Golf - A small, 9-hole pitch & putt course plus practice course and lessons for adults and childrenViews - Idyllic views over the surrounding countrysideHistoric - 17th century palace in the Basque countrysideRestaurant - Serves a typical Basque cuisine and monthly changing seasonal menus or there's the cafe for informal diningRecommended by - Tablet
A lovely 17th century palace in the Basque countryside, with stunning views in every direction. Spacious rooms and suites are traditional in style but with all mod cons. Great facilities include pitch & putt, spa, pool and restaurant specialising in Basque cuisine. Close to Bilbao and the beaches. See More
Etxegana Bizkaia, Basque Country, Spain 18 rooms from £103Country Escape - Mountain views, forest walks, romantic rustic rooms, horse riding and spa to enjoySpa - The spa area can be booked by the hour for quiet private use of all the facilitiesSights nearby - San Juan chapel and in Artea, the “Eco Museo del Caserío Vasco”Restaurant - Gourmet restaurant serving traditional Basque fareRecommended by - Sawdays, Michelin Travel
Miro Hotel Bilbao 50 rooms from £104Sights nearby - 5 minutes walk from the historic city centre and literally across the road from the GuggenheimCity Style - A supremely stylish stay in the heart of buzzing BilbaoViews - Great views over Frank Gehry's masterpieceDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - I Escape, CN Traveller, Tablet
Hotel Villa Soro San Sebastian (Donostia-San Sebastián) 25 rooms from £108Foodies - Michelin restaurants dot the city and the hotel is just 500m from the world famous Arzak restaurantCity Style - A country-house hotel in the heart of the city offering classic style and exemplary serviceGreat walks - Climb Monte Urgull and admire the city viewsSights nearby - Located just a short walk from the old townRecommended by - Tablet, I Escape, CN Traveller, Small Luxury Hotels
Castillo el Collado Alava, La Rioja 10 rooms from £108Local exploring - Historic Laguardia, with the stunning Church of Santa Maria de los Reyes, riding trips through vineyards and walks by lagoonsWine tasting - With nine vineyards in the vicinity, this is an unmissable spot for exploring the rich regionViews - Sierra de CantabriaFull of character
Hospederia de los parajes Laguardia, La Rioja 18 rooms from £115Local exploring - It's an ideal base for exploring Laguardia and its surrounding countryside of vineyards, medieval towns and villagesFoodies - Food pairing courses, wine tasting and hot air balloon excursions to see the vineyardsRestaurant - There are two restaurants here, both offering the best local traditional cuisine, but one is more formal!Sights nearby - Palaces and prehistoric remains at the town of La Hoya, and wander the streets of medieval Laguardia.
Gorgeous historic property in Rioja wine country. Rooms have wooden beamed ceilings, stone walls, chandeliers and hot tub tubs. Superb spa with aromatherapy, wine and olive treatments. Outstanding Spanish cuisine in both restaurants, and atmospheric cellar with tasting menu. Unique and romantic. See More
Eguren Ugarte Laguardia, La Rioja 21 rooms from £116Foodies - A great spot for foodies, where you can opt for a gastronomic meal one day and something more traditional the next.Country Escape - A stunning rural escape nestled in front of the Sierra de Cantabria Mountains with beautiful vineyard views.Restaurant - There is both a gastronomic and traditional restuarant.Views - Glorious views over the surrounding vineyards
This gorgeous hotel, set within a winery has a fabulous lookout tower and bedroom views across the stunning vineyards. Bedrooms are comfortable with lots of natural light and private balconies. The gourmet restaurant serves a range of traditional Spanish cuisines and great wines. See More
Lasala Plaza Hotel San Sebastian (San Sebastián) 48 rooms from £122Romantic Break - The rooftop terrace has panoramic views of La Concha Bay and is the perfect spot to enjoy a cocktail with your significant otherBeach Life - Located right on La Concha Bay, this is a great choice for a summer city beach breakLocal exploring - Located in the Old Town, many of the city's main attractions are just a stroll awayGreat walks - Enjoy a stroll through picturesque San Sebastian Old TownRecommended by - Tablet
A smart 4-star hotel set in historic San Sebastian offering bright contemporary accommodation. Boasting a fabulous rooftop with panoramic views of La Concha Bay and the Old Town and a modern restaurant serving Basque cuisine. With easy access to the Old Town this comes highly recommended. See More
Hotel Embarcadero Getxo, Basque Country, Spain 27 rooms from £123Local exploring - A great base for exploring both Bilbao and the wider Basque Region.Riverside - Beautiful views over the river and towards the sea from the suitesSights nearby - Just a quick trip on the metro and you're in the centre of BilbaoRestaurant - Serves an array of traditional Basque cuisine
In the heart of the port-town Getxo, this hotel has wondrous views over the bay from many room as its terrace, where you can while away days with traditional Basque food & drink. Only a short underground journey from Bilbao, and short walk from a World Heritage Site: Puente Colgante. See More
Gran Hotel Domine Bilbao 145 rooms from £130City Style - A smart contemporary luxurious hotel, ideal for those with an eye for design.Restaurant - Le Café offers artfully crafted “pintxos”, a daily set menu and an a la carte serviceSights nearby - Situated opposite the Guggenheim Museum, right in the heart of Bilbao's Arts Quarter.Outstanding location - The only five star property located across the road from the GuggenheimRecommended by - Tablet, CN Traveller
Arima Hotel San Sebastian 73 rooms from £142Back to Nature - Set in the verdant Miramon Forest, with interiors inspired by the landscape, book this hotel for a chic back-to-nature retreatEco break - This hotel was designed to run on sustainable energy, meaning you can enjoy your holiday knowing it won't cost the earthFoodies - The hotel's gourmet health-food restaurant Misura and deli café Tilia make it a great choice for foodiesGreat walks - Explore the beautiful landscape of the Basque Country on long walks; ask at the hotel for recommended itinerariesRecommended by - Tablet, Mr & Mrs Smith
This eco-friendly luxury hotel has a privileged location in the heart of the Basque Country. The custom-designed guestrooms draw on the landscape for inspiration, using a soft palette of natural hues and emphasizing natural light. Dine at the hotel's innovative and organic Misura restaurant. See More
Castillo de Arteaga Bizkaia,, Basque Country, Spain 13 rooms from £143Hideaway - Surrounded by natural cliffs, valleys and estuaries, this hotel is perfect relaxing spot to return to after the fresh airBirdwatching - Situated within Urdaibai Nature ReserveGreat walks - Near the fishing port in ElantxobeSights nearby - Busturialdea and Lea-ArtibaiRecommended by - Fodors, Relais & Chateaux
Hotel Arrizul Congress San Sebastian (Gros) 46 rooms from £147Local exploring - Located in the heart of the city centre, close to pintxos (tapas) bars and shops, book this hotel as a base for local exploringCity Style - With sophisticated interiors and an unbeatable location, this hotel has lots of contemporary city charmSurfing - Go surfing at nearby Zurriola beach, one of the best spots in the Basque CountryGreat walks - Explore the picturesque old town on a long walk; use the hotel's guide to find the best pintxos (tapas) bars on the wayRecommended by - Fodors
This contemporary, four-star hotel is located in the heart of San Sebastián, next to the Donostia surfing beach. Set just steps from the main shopping district, pintxos bars and restaurants, this hotel makes the perfect base for local exploring on the coast of the Basque Country. See More
Hotel de Londres y de Inglaterra San Sebastian (Guipúzcoa) 167 rooms from £164Local exploring - Ideally located in the city centre great for exploring both San Sebastian and Basque country further afieldCity Style - A four-star offering set in a historic building featuring elegant traditional interiors. A grand stayBeach Life - Boasting an impressive location overlooking the picture perfect bay of La ConchaGreat walks - Take a relaxing stroll along the boulevard and check out the sights and sounds of the Parte Vieja
A grand-hotel standing proud over La Concha Bay. Generously proportioned rooms are traditional in style with pretty french windows leading onto private balconies. Enjoy the famed Basque cuisine in the elegant restaurant. Just steps from the beach, it's ideal for an indulgent seaside escape. See More
Villa Magalean Hondarribia 8 rooms from £169Spa breaks - Unwind in the Spa Henriette which uses Cinq Mondes products and offers Ayurvedic massages amongst other treatments.Local exploring - Ideally located on the edge of the medieval old town and the fisherman's port.Surfing - Try your hand at surfing at the Basque coasts world-famous surf spots.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Tablet
A small hotel oozing sophistication and style and offering services beyond its proportions. Rooms keep the building's original features but have been given a clean contemporary overhaul and dotted with little luxuries and mod-cons. The restaurant is superb and the expansive spa utterly spoiling. See More
Hotel Maria Cristina San Sebastian (Donostia) 136 rooms from £175Romantic Break - Beautiful rooms, trendy cocktail bar, luxury and great service....woo your loved one in style!City Style - This is where the A listers stay during the San Sebastian Film FestivalFoodies - San Sebastian is the perfect destination for a gastronomic city break.Sights nearby - Located opposite the Victoria Eugenia Theatre
Iturregi Getaria (Guipúzcua) 8 rooms from £182Romantic Break - With only eight stunning rooms, a gorgeous pool, beautiful views, it's simply idyllicGreat walks - There are lots of walks for all abilities and the Camino de Santiago passes the propertyViews - Fabulous views of the Raton de GetariaLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
A gorgeous country house in a rural setting, but close to the beach. Sumptuous rooms and suites are beautifully furnished, spacious, and have enormous bathrooms. Lovely gardens, pool, and terraces. Driving distance to nearby restaurants and sights. A rather romantic choice near the sea. See More
Hotel Marques de Riscal Elciego, La Rioja 61 rooms from £305Foodies - The restaurant holds one Michelin star and there is also a bistro for less formal diningWine tasting - Surrounded by the Riojan countryside there's plenty of tasting not just on site.Spa breaks - The huge spa offers a wide range of vinotherapy treatmentsArchitectural - Designed by Frank Gehry of Guggenheim Museum fameRecommended by - I Escape
An unusual hotel built by the designer of the Guggenheim museum. Set amid its own vines, a large metallic building with fantastic food and an impressive spa. Sun lit rooms and suites in contemporary style with balconies and sophisticated furnishings. Wonderful views and plenty of exploring. See More
Akelarre San Sebastian (Monte Igueldo (San Sebastián)) 22 rooms from £312Foodies - The real draw, beyond the 5 star boutique hotel, is Pedro Subijana’s Akelarre restaurant holding 3 Michelin stars.Sights nearby - Visit the magnificent San Sebastián Cathedral.Great walks - Take long walks along the scenic coastline.Romantic - Good for couples.
A beautifully designed 5 star boutique hotel offering glorious views over the sea. Minimalist rooms feature large expanses of glass letting the outside in. The three star Michelin restaurant is undeniably the draw serving innovative cuisine at its very finest. There is an indulgent spa too. See More