Search the best hotels in Girona
Saying Girona is a mini-Barcelona is oversimplifying this ancient Catalan city. First it was Roman, then Muslim, then it was taken by the Franks, then it became Catalan under the guidance of Barcelona. And somewhere in there it acquired a medieval Jewish quarter - now one of the best preserved in Catalonia. So along with wonderful food and fine examples of Modernism and Art Nouveau architecture - some which have now become some of the best places to stay in Girona - the city also has grand churches, impressive defensive walls, medieval baths, wonderfully designed arcaded houses and colourful people.
What not to Miss
- Girona is much smaller than Barcelona, so it's far more manageable as a city break destination. The squares are small and the prettiest bits of the city criss cross the Onyar river.
- Most people start their adventures in the Old Town around the maze of narrow, upwards climbing streets and alleys of the ancient Jewish quarter. This area reeks of wonderful atmosphere which you can explore more thoroughly at the Museu d'Historia dels Jueus de Girona - Spain's centre for Jewish studies.
- For more of Girona's history - the stuff about the Romans and the Visigoths - visit the City History Museum.
- Just like Barcelona, Girona has plenty of excellent places to eat and there are numerous cosy bars and cafes on charming squares. So you could easily spend a romantic time just strolling around admiring the city itself.
- If you want to direct your wanderings head for the Museu d'Art. This lovely building was once the Bishop's Palace and is now home to 8500 works collected from the region. It is right next to the unmissable beauty of the Cathedral at the top of a majestic flight of steps.
- Another nice strolling route is along Girona's medieval walls. You walk the top of them amongst gardens. With a view of the whole lovely city.
Girona is so pretty that it is also popular. To be sure of staying on one of the best places to stay in Girona do make plans and book early.
Best places to stay in Girona
- Just steps from the cathedral door, the Hotel Legends de Girona is a chic, but characterful hotel with 15 romantic rooms. The floors are parquet and the walls stone, there’s lots of character and a warm atmosphere.
For Historic Girona
- The Hotel Historic is a gorgeous collection of 15 rooms and apartments in a beautiful historic building in the heart of town just 100metres from the cathedral. The chic interiors are sunny and beautifully furnished and some have private balconies.
- You’re out of town, but the Mas Carreras 1846 might still be of interest. It’s an exquisitely restored country home in the Baix Empordà countryside just outside Girona. With eight elegant rooms and antique-chic decor lots of original features plus rolling gardens, an outdoor pool and sun terraces.
- The Bellmirall is a seven room B&B close to the cathedral and the Musee d’art. The rooms are small, but charming with parquet floors and stone walls and there’s a lovely terrace where breakfast is served. Rooms start from around £40 per night.
- If you prefer your decor modern, then the Hotel Ciutat de Girona is a great value option in a great location. There are 44 rooms, from singles to family-sized, an indoor pool, bar and restaurant. Rooms start from less than £90 per night.
For an Apartment or Villa
If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Girona’s airport is called the Girona-Costa-Brava Airport, so it’s nice and clear who it serves. There are regular flights from many European cities and from other parts of Spain. The airport is only 12kms outside of town and it’s well connected by buses. If you can’t find a flight into Girona, Barcelona-El Prat Airport is only 110kms away, and it’s well connected to Girona by buses, trains and, of course, the motorway. Girona is also well connected to European train networks.
- If you want to hire a car - which we highly recommend if you’re staying in Girona and you want to see more of Catalonia - we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Summer is Girona can be hot, with the maximum temperatures in July and August up around 29 and 30°C. But its still one of the most popular times for visitors. Spring and autumn are cooler, and there are fewer visitors, but there are more likely to be a few showers in amongst the sunshine.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Girona
Bellmirall Girona 7 rooms from £39
An intimate B&B in Girona, close to the Cathedral and Musee d'art. Charming rooms have parquet floors and stone walls. Lovely breakfast terrace and walking distance to restaurants. A great choice for those on a budget.Value chicSights nearby - Located in the centre of the old town just 100m from the cathedral.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Hotel Historic Girona 15 rooms from £78
A gorgeous collection of rooms and apartments in an historic building. Chic sunlit interiors have parquet floors, exposed stone walls, attractive furniture, some with private balconies. A great choice for groups, families, and local explorers.FamiliesSights nearby - In the heart of the old town just 100m from Girona CathedralLocal markets - Good for local colour.TraditionalRecommended by - Fodors
Hotel Ciutat de Girona Girona 44 rooms from £87
A modern hotel in Girona's historic centre. Bright rooms and family rooms all in white with splashes of red. Excellent business facilities, indoor pool, bar and restaurant. A great value choice for those on a budget.Value chicSights nearby - Central location a few metres from the iron bridge and short walks from the Cathedral and Arab baths.Views - Great city viewsSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - CN Traveller
Hotel Llegendes de Girona Girona 15 rooms from £93
A quirky but chic hotel in the historic heart of Girona. Romantically styled bedrooms with light stone walls, parquet floors, attractive fabrics, and large bathrooms. Lots of character and a warm atmosphere.Romantic BreakSights nearby - Situated in the centre of the old town just steps from the cathedralGreat walks - Good for walkers.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
Mas Carreras 1846 Girona (Bordils) 8 rooms from £95
An exquisitely restored country home in the Baix Empordà countryside. The elegant rooms are the ideal antique-chic, with exposed stone walls, original features, plush linens and handcrafted oak furniture. Rolling gardens, outdoor pool and sun-terraces complete the picture.Great walks - The hotel is only 30 mins from the beaches of the beautiful Costa BravaSights nearby - Figueres, home to the Salvador Dalí Museum, is 30 minutes drive away.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Sants Metges Girona (17481 Sant Julià de Ramis) 15 rooms from £208
This luxury hotel sits within a historic fortress on the Sants Metges mountain in Girona. Rooms are bright and contemporary, boasting unique design pieces in a pastel palette and beautiful views; book a premium room for a private terrace. Book into the spa before fine dining at Atempo; a chic hotel.Country Escape - With a privileged setting on the highest point of the Sants Metges mountain, this hotel makes for a unique country getawayRomantic Break - Couples love the stylish interiors at this luxury hotel; book a premium room for a romantic balcony with viewsFoodies - Foodies will love the hotel's fine dining restaurant Atempo, headed by Michelin-starred chef Jordi CruzSights nearby - Walk along Girona's ancient city walls and visit the historic city cathedral