Search the best hotels in Girona
Saying Girona is a mini-Barcelona is oversimplifying this ancient Catalan city. First it was Roman, then Muslim, then it was taken by the Franks, then it became Catalan under the guidance of Barcelona. And somewhere in there it acquired a medieval Jewish quarter - now one of the best preserved in Catalonia. So along with wonderful food and fine examples of Modernism and Art Nouveau architecture - some which have now become some of the best places to stay in Girona - the city also has grand churches, impressive defensive walls, medieval baths, wonderfully designed arcaded houses and colourful people.
What not to Miss
- Girona is much smaller than Barcelona, so it's far more manageable as a city break destination. The squares are small and the prettiest bits of the city criss cross the Onyar river.
- Most people start their adventures in the Old Town around the maze of narrow, upwards climbing streets and alleys of the ancient Jewish quarter. This area reeks of wonderful atmosphere which you can explore more thoroughly at the Museu d'Historia dels Jueus de Girona - Spain's centre for Jewish studies.
- For more of Girona's history - the stuff about the Romans and the Visigoths - visit the City History Museum.
- Just like Barcelona, Girona has plenty of excellent places to eat and there are numerous cosy bars and cafes on charming squares. So you could easily spend a romantic time just strolling around admiring the city itself.
- If you want to direct your wanderings head for the Museu d'Art. This lovely building was once the Bishop's Palace and is now home to 8500 works collected from the region. It is right next to the unmissable beauty of the Cathedral at the top of a majestic flight of steps.
- Another nice strolling route is along Girona's medieval walls. You walk the top of them amongst gardens. With a view of the whole lovely city.
Girona is so pretty that it is also popular. To be sure of staying on one of the best places to stay in Girona do make plans and book early.
Best places to stay in Girona
- Just steps from the cathedral door, the Hotel Legends de Girona is a chic, but characterful hotel with 15 romantic rooms. The floors are parquet and the walls stone, there’s lots of character and a warm atmosphere.
For Historic Girona
- The Hotel Historic is a gorgeous collection of 15 rooms and apartments in a beautiful historic building in the heart of town just 100metres from the cathedral. The chic interiors are sunny and beautifully furnished and some have private balconies.
- You’re out of town, but the Mas Carreras 1846 might still be of interest. It’s an exquisitely restored country home in the Baix Empordà countryside just outside Girona. With eight elegant rooms and antique-chic decor lots of original features plus rolling gardens, an outdoor pool and sun terraces.
- The Bellmirall is a seven room B&B close to the cathedral and the Musee d’art. The rooms are small, but charming with parquet floors and stone walls and there’s a lovely terrace where breakfast is served. Rooms start from around £40 per night.
- If you prefer your decor modern, then the Hotel Ciutat de Girona is a great value option in a great location. There are 44 rooms, from singles to family-sized, an indoor pool, bar and restaurant. Rooms start from less than £90 per night.
For an Apartment or Villa
If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Girona’s airport is called the Girona-Costa-Brava Airport, so it’s nice and clear who it serves. There are regular flights from many European cities and from other parts of Spain. The airport is only 12kms outside of town and it’s well connected by buses. If you can’t find a flight into Girona, Barcelona-El Prat Airport is only 110kms away, and it’s well connected to Girona by buses, trains and, of course, the motorway. Girona is also well connected to European train networks.
- If you want to hire a car - which we highly recommend if you’re staying in Girona and you want to see more of Catalonia - we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Summer is Girona can be hot, with the maximum temperatures in July and August up around 29 and 30°C. But its still one of the most popular times for visitors. Spring and autumn are cooler, and there are fewer visitors, but there are more likely to be a few showers in amongst the sunshine.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Catalonia,
- Or the best places to stay on the Costa Brava?
- Or stay in Barcelona and visit Girona?
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Girona
Best Hotels in Girona
Bellmirall Girona 7 rooms from £39Value chicSights nearby - Located in the centre of the old town just 100m from the cathedral.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Hotel Historic Girona 15 rooms from £78FamiliesSights nearby - In the heart of the old town just 100m from Girona CathedralRestaurant - Serves traditional Catalan foodLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Fodors
Hotel Ciutat de Girona Girona 44 rooms from £87Value chicSights nearby - Central location a few metres from the iron bridge and short walks from the Cathedral and Arab baths.Views - Great city viewsSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - CN Traveller
Hotel Llegendes de Girona Girona 15 rooms from £93Romantic BreakSights nearby - Situated in the centre of the old town just steps from the cathedralLocal markets - Good for local colour.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
Mas Carreras 1846 Girona (Bordils) 8 rooms from £95Great walks - The hotel is only 30 mins from the beaches of the beautiful Costa BravaSights nearby - Figueres, home to the Salvador Dalí Museum, is 30 minutes drive away.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.Secluded setting - For escaping.
An exquisitely restored country home in the Baix Empordà countryside. The elegant rooms are the ideal antique-chic, with exposed stone walls, original features, plush linens and handcrafted oak furniture. Rolling gardens, outdoor pool and sun-terraces complete the picture. See More