Search the best hotels in La Gomera
About La Gomera
The third-smallest of the Canary Islands, La Gomera is an understated land rich in verdant natural beauty. Perfect for those dreaming of a more laid-back beach break or hiking holiday, many of the best places to stay on La Gomera promise beautiful views of the ancient forests and gorges which frame the island’s volcanic heart — as well as some striking ocean panoramas. Read on for a sense of the island’s top spots, many of which are also appealingly budget-friendly.
Just 22 kilometres in diameter, La Gomera is wonderful for keen explorers. Trek, horse ride or mountain bike between banana plantations and wineries, along craggy gorges and up towards the UNESCO-protected laurel rain forest, part of the mesmerising Garajonay National Park. Tour some of the lush fruit plantations of the Hermigua Valley, and enjoy tastings at fabulous vineyards; La Gomera has been producing distinctive wine for centuries.
Head towards the coast to visit San Sebastián, the island’s capital, which boasts lively eateries and heritage buildings aplenty. Pop into the house in which Christopher Columbus stayed before crossing the Atlantic in 1492, amble along the beach or step into historic churches for an insight into La Gomera’s past. Finally, boat trips are a fun way to see the island from the ocean, admiring the enormous Los Organos Cliffs, sighting whales or simple enjoying refreshing swims. Return to one of the best places to stay on La Gomera to unwind in total tranquility.
The Best Places to Stay on La Gomera
For Ocean Views
- Jardin Tecina is an impressive 460-room clifftop beach resort in bustling Playa de Santiago. Active families will adore the extensive facilities, including watersports, tennis courts, a golf course, swimming pools and beach volley ball. A seaside beach resort experience, suitable for guests of all ages.
- Parador de La Gomera, a historic manor house, has been carefully converted into a striking sea-facing hotel with characterful rooms and breath-taking ocean views. Set in San Sebastian, it's a brilliant base for exploring the island's capital and main port, as well as kicking back on black-sand beaches or soaking up the sunshine by the pool.
- Hotel Gran Rey, in the heart of Valle Gran Rey, has comfortable rooms with splendid ocean views. A soothing seaside gem on the island's western coast, it has a quieter, more laid-back feel and appeals largely to couples. Take refreshing dips in the two swimming pools and feast on classic Canarian cuisine at the restaurant. Also very reasonably priced.
For Rural Charm
- Hotel Rural Ibo Alfaro is a tranquil and traditional 19th-century manor house offering superb views of the Hermigua Valley. This affordable guesthouse's 17 charming rooms each boast antique pieces, period features and verdant panoramas. A perfect base for days enjoying hiking and mountain biking.
- Casa Los Herrera is an intimate family-run guesthouse with just eight classic rooms. Cosy and understated, it's a relaxed choice for a rural escape. Expect big breakfasts, friendly chats with the owners, and easy access to hiking and golf.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to La Gomera Airport, or to the much larger Tenerife-South Airport. You can hop from Tenerife to La Gomera by ferry from Los Cristianos in 35 minutes to one hour. Whether you arrive by air or sea, you can travel to your hotel by bus or taxi. Most hotels will be happy to arrange an airport or port pick up in advance.
- It's wonderful to explore the island with the freedom of your own transport. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect very warm summers, with temperatures hovering around 30°C between June and August. For fewer crowds and cooler weather, travel in April, May or late September.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay on El Hierro.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Canary Islands.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in La Gomera
Best Hotels in La Gomera
Hotel Rural Ibo Alfaro Hermigua, La Gomera 17 rooms from £65Country Escape - This rural retreat offers startling views from rooms and terraces, and there is plenty of gorgeous countryside to be explored.Sights nearby - Wander through the historic village of Hermigua and be sure to visit the remarkable "Santo Domingo" church.Great walks - Discover the picturesque surrounding valley on long rambling walks.Full of characterRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
A traditional property commanding epic views of the Hermigua valley. Each of the 17 individually styled rooms has its own charm; think quaint prints, antique furniture and original features. The perfect spot to start out on a days hiking. Ideal for those in search of complete tranquility. See More
Hotel Gran Rey Valle Gran Rey, La Gomera 99 rooms from £69Local exploring - Located right on the beachfront, it's perfect for exploring the sleepy town of La Puntilla and the surrounding coastline.Great walks - Make the most of the great walking trails in the nearby Parque Nacional de Garajonay.Local markets - Explore the local market at La Puntilla, and pick up some yummy regional treats.Tennis - Enjoy a relaxed game of tennis on the hotel's private court.
Hugging the west coast shoreline of La Gomera, Hotel Gran Rey exudes serenity and tranquility. With stunning ocean views, comfortable rooms and two swimming pools, it's perfect for a romantic break. Enjoy cocktails at the pool bar and delicious Canarian cuisine. A soothing, seaside gem. See More
Casa los Herrera Hermigua, La Gomera 8 rooms from £69Country Escape - The hotel sits opposite the church square in the centre of Hermigua, a small rural town along a picturesque ravine.Great walks - Make the most of the stunning walking trails in Parque Nacional de Garajonay.Full of characterViews - Great views from hotel
A charming family run guesthouse in rural La Gomera. The rooms are individually appointed with bespoke antique furnishings and have a distinctly rustic feel. Start the day well with a delicious breakfast before exploring the beautiful valleys and coasts of the island. An excellent low-cost option. See More
Jardin Tecina San Sebastián de la Gomera, La Gomera 460 rooms from £118Views - Stunning views over the Atlantic Ocean towards Tenerife and Mount TiedeBeach LifeActive HolidaySwimming Pool - Five swimming poolsRecommended by - CN Traveller
A stunning cliff top beach resort. A perfect spot for sports enthusiasts; golf, tennis, swimming, volley ball and watersports. Elegant contemporary rooms and suites with private balconies and sea views. Excellent restaurant, bar, swimming pool, beauty centre and spa. Ideal for families. See More
Parador de la gomera La Gomera 52 rooms from £143Views - Stunning sea views from its cliff top locationBeach LifeRestaurant - Serves traditional Canarian cuisineSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - CN Traveller
A traditional chic manor house with stunning views out to sea. Charming bedrooms and suites with white washed walls, wooden floors, and private balconies. Lovely terraced restaurant, garden, and a large swimming pool. A characterful spot for a beach holiday and local exploring. See More