Search the best hotels in La Gomera
About La Gomera
One of the littlest Canary Islands, La Gomera is so different from its bigger siblings as to be almost unrecognisable. Apart from its location... One witty visitor remarked that its landscape is like a Terry's Chocolate Orange which has been tapped and part opened, and is now gently melting into the beautiful sea. Indeed, the best places to stay in La Gomera couldn't be more different from the vast sprawling resorts that you expect to encounter in the Canaries.
What To Expect
Instead of resort lined beaches and beach lined resorts, those alighting from the hydrofoil on La Gomera find themselves amongst banana plantations and ancient laurel forests. The island's backed by the steep volcano, and its surrounding gorges, which sits in the centre of the island.
Just 22kms across, there's plenty more varied terrain to explore - and just because we haven't got on to the beaches yet that doesn't mean they're not something special! All these views are linked by trails and bridleways, so La Gomera is perfect if your idea of a holiday paradise isle comes with plenty of opportunities to do some walking, plus the opportunity to see unusual plants and animals. As well as walkers, this is also a great spot for divers.
La Gomera's not just known for bananas, its volcanic soil has also been producing distinctive wine and an abundance of fruit since Roman times. Hermigua is where many of the lushest plantations can be found, and is also where some of the island's higher end accommodation options can be uncovered.
As well as its black sandy beaches, La Gomera has many unique charms. For one, the residents of La Gomera have created their own way of communicating across their ravine-lined landscape, and this whistling way of speaking is considered so important culturally that it's still taught to school children.
What Not To Miss
- Whether you're a walker or not you should still try to make time to visit the laurel forest at the top of the island - it's a World Heritage Site, and its strange moss and lichen-covered trees are an eerie yet beautiful sight.
- Arrange a boat trip to see the vast, volcanic-formed, church-organ like Los Organos Cliffs - something like 'The Giant's Causeway', but on a larger scale.
- Valle Gran Rey has the island's nicest beaches, so this is where you should come if you fancy soaking up the sun and heading for a swim in the sea.
The Best Places to stay on La Gomera
For San Sebastian
- Columbus set sail from La Gomera, the capital and main port San Sebastian, to be precise. This is where many people choose to stay; it's got some charming historic buildings and a couple of excellent black sandy beaches. Parador de la Gomera, a chicly converted manor house, is one of the best places to stay on La Gomera if you want to be in San Sebastian. Traditional, with stunning clifftop views, this hotel has plenty of Canary character.
For Playa de Santiago
- Playa de Santiago is the second tourist resort area - this is the best location on La Gomera for golfers, as it has the only course, part of the Jardin Tecina resort. Jardin Tecina is a 460 room resort, with loads of facilities, so it's also a great optoin for families and those who want to take things easy.
For a beachfront stay
- Hotel Gran Rey is located right on the beachfront in the heart of Valle Gran Rey. Offering comfortable rooms with splendid ocean views, you can enjoy a refreshing dip in either of their two pools and tuck into traditionally Canarian cuisine at the restaurant. The ideal coastal getaway without breaking the bank!
For A Country Escape
- Hotel Rural Ibo Alfaro is a traditional property boasting breathtaking valley views. Featuring 17 charming and individually decorated rooms, it's perfect for those wanting to head off hiking during the day whilst you can also rent a bike to explore more of the area.
- Casa Los Herrera is an intimate family-run guesthouse, offering 8 traditional rooms featuring antique furnishings. Rooms start from just £71 a night and you're wonderfully situated to go on long walks, play a few rounds of golf or visit the Parque Nacional de Garajonay.
For An Apartment Or Villa
- If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- The Canaries, and La Gomera, are really a year round destination. Even in the coldest months the average daily maximum temperature is above 20°C. And the average daily mimimim in December and January is 16°C. It’s not too hot either, though, with temperatures seldom getting close to 30°C. Peak season generally lasts from June until the end of August, so if you want a quieter and cheaper visit then consider coming in May or September.
- You can fly into La Gomera Airport, but it's also an option to fly into Tenerife-South Airport and then take the ferry across from the nearby Los Cristianos, with buses provided from the airport to the port. The travel time is usually 35 minutes to an hour, depending on the weather. You can fly to Tenerife from Gatwick, Luton, Stansted and Southend, as well as from Edinburgh and Dublin.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay on La Gomera.
- Alternatively check our recommendations for all the Canary Islands.
- Or, contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in La Gomera
Best Hotels in La Gomera
Hotel Rural Ibo Alfaro Hermigua, La Gomera 17 rooms from £65Country Escape - This rural retreat offers startling views from rooms and terraces, and there is plenty of gorgeous countryside to be explored.Sights nearby - Wander through the historic village of Hermigua and be sure to visit the remarkable "Santo Domingo" church.Great walks - Discover the picturesque surrounding valley on long rambling walks.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
A traditional property commanding epic views of the Hermigua valley. Each of the 17 individually styled rooms has its own charm; think quaint prints, antique furniture and original features. The perfect spot to start out on a days hiking. Ideal for those in search of complete tranquility. See More
Hotel Gran Rey Valle Gran Rey, La Gomera 99 rooms from £69Local exploring - Located right on the beachfront, it's perfect for exploring the sleepy town of La Puntilla and the surrounding coastline.Great walks - Make the most of the great walking trails in the nearby Parque Nacional de Garajonay.Local markets - Explore the local market at La Puntilla, and pick up some yummy regional treats.Fishing - Fishing trips can be organised at La Puntilla harbour.
Hugging the west coast shoreline of La Gomera, Hotel Gran Rey exudes serenity and tranquility. With stunning ocean views, comfortable rooms and two swimming pools, it's perfect for a romantic break. Enjoy cocktails at the pool bar and delicious Canarian cuisine. A soothing, seaside gem. See More
Casa los Herrera Hermigua, La Gomera 8 rooms from £69Country Escape - The hotel sits opposite the church square in the centre of Hermigua, a small rural town along a picturesque ravine.Great walks - Make the most of the stunning walking trails in Parque Nacional de Garajonay.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorTraditional
A charming family run guesthouse in rural La Gomera. The rooms are individually appointed with bespoke antique furnishings and have a distinctly rustic feel. Start the day well with a delicious breakfast before exploring the beautiful valleys and coasts of the island. An excellent low-cost option. See More
Jardin Tecina San Sebastián de la Gomera, La Gomera 460 rooms from £118Views - Stunning views over the Atlantic Ocean towards Tenerife and Mount TiedeActive HolidayBeach LifeSwimming Pool - Five swimming poolsRecommended by - CN Traveller
A stunning cliff top beach resort. A perfect spot for sports enthusiasts; golf, tennis, swimming, volley ball and watersports. Elegant contemporary rooms and suites with private balconies and sea views. Excellent restaurant, bar, swimming pool, beauty centre and spa. Ideal for families. See More
Parador de la gomera La Gomera 52 rooms from £143Views - Stunning sea views from its cliff top locationBeach LifeSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorSailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - CN Traveller
A traditional chic manor house with stunning views out to sea. Charming bedrooms and suites with white washed walls, wooden floors, and private balconies. Lovely terraced restaurant, garden, and a large swimming pool. A characterful spot for a beach holiday and local exploring. See More