Search the best hotels in Pemba Island
About Pemba Island
Pemba Island is a magical place. A paradise of white sandy beaches, coral reefs and azure seas, it is the ideal place for an idyllic tropical holiday. The best places to stay in Pemba Island offer a real escape: whether you're looking for a simple beach hut or something a little more luxurious, the island has something for everyone.
Pemba Island lies just off the coast of Zanzibar, and is part of the Zanzibar Archipelago. It is only around 30 miles long, and is home to around 150,000 people. The island's main town is also called Pemba, and it is here that you'll find the ferry port and airport. The main town is also where you'll find the island's main market — a colourful affair selling everything from spices to live chickens. The island itself is lush and green, with beautiful beaches all along its coastline. Many are sheltered by offshore coral reefs, making them ideal for snorkelling and diving.
The best places to stay in Pemba Island provide the perfect base from which to explore this wonderful island or simply kick back and relax!
The best places to stay in pemba island
For an underwater room
- If you're looking for something completely unique then we recommend you book Manta Resort's underwater room. It may be eye-wateringly expensive, but it offers the chance to watch shoals of tropical fish float past without leaving the comfort of your bedroom! For lesser mortals there's a range of rooms and suites, plus sunset terrace where most meals are served, and an excellent PADI dive centre for beginners or experienced underwater explorers.
For a boutique stay
- Fundu Lagoon is a gorgeous little tented resort with just 16 thatched, tented rooms each with beautiful ocean view and direct beach access. Interiors are pared back, but romantic, with plenty of floaty muslin and enormous wooden beds. The food here is know as some of the best in Tanzania, plus there's a Fusion Spa, infinity pool with panoramic views and extensive watersports facilities including diving.
For a luxury resort
- The Aiyana offers luxury villas set on a beach facing the Indian Ocean. Beach-chic interiors feature whitewashed walls, carefully positioned driftwood and pops of colour from the soft furnishings. The best come with private pool too! Daily changing menus offer delicious dishes to be enjoyed wherever you wish and there are activites galore to choose from.
For a holiday villa
- If you'd prefer a self catering property, check out the selection with our online partner, Booking.com.
- Pemba Island can be reached via Dar es Salaam or Zanzibar Airports. You could also take a ferry from either of these locations.
- If you wish to hire a car to explore more of the island, contact our partner, Rentalcars
- The best time to visit Pemba Island is during the dry season from July to early November and December to March, when average daily highs are around 30°C. It is best to avoid April and May as these are the rainiest months.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include all our Zanzibar recommendations
- Look even further afield at our pick of the best places to stay in the whole of Tanzania
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly gurus for some personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Pemba Island
Best Hotels in Pemba Island
Manta Resort Pemba Island 30 rooms from £450Beach Life - Situated on an idyllic stretch of powder white sand and offering fantastic diving opportunities.Fishing - Fish for wahoo, tuna, sailfish, dorado, giant trevally or barracudas.Diving - Explore the untouched reefs that circle the whole of Pemba Island.Birdwatching - Discover the Ngezi Rainforest that's teeming with exotic birds.
A tranquil resort located on a picture perfect tropical island. Rooms, spread throughout the lush gardens, are traditional in style with thatched roofs, tiled floors, antique furniture and spectacular sea views. For those in search of something a little unorthodox there's an underwater room too. See More
Fundu Lagoon Pemba, Pemba Island 18 rooms from £585Hideaway - Leave your shoes and gadgets behind and settle into the laid back island lifestyle where your only decisons are sea or pool?Honeymoons - A tranquil couples retreat with secluded villas, private coulpes dining on the beach, tandem massages and sunset cruises.Diving - The resort has a fully equipped PADI dive centre, and some of the worlds best and most unspoilt reefs.Great walks - Take a low tide stroll along the beach and spot the herons, ibis, egrets, parrots, and ghost crabs.Recommended by - I Escape
Remote stylish tented beach resort. Safari-style tented rooms with private balconies and plunge pools. A large infinity pool and spa specialising in African techniques make for complete relaxation. An excellent restaurant and three bars. The ultimate getaway for honeymooners and beach lovers alike. See More
The Aiyana Pemba Island 60 rooms from £878Beach Life - Accommodation on the beach with views of the dreamy Pemba Ocean and lots of sea-related activities on offerFishing - Pemba Morning Fishing trip is a three hour fishing trip starting early at 6.30. Deep sea fishing experience also can be arrangedDiving - One of the best dive sites in the world with its untouched coral reefs, deep channels and clear visibilityKayaking - Discover the mangroves by sea-kayak
Luxury-style villas set on a beautiful beach facing the Indian ocean. Interiors are beach-chic, with white washed walls, carefully positioned driftwood and pops of colour coming from the soft furnishings. Offering a pool and a pampering full-service spa. A spoiling tropical beach retreat. See More