Search the best hotels in Bath
One of England's most beautiful cities and most popular tourist destinations, Bath is an historic beauty. Reminders of Bath's Roman and Georgian history are everywhere, whether you want to simply enjoy being surrounded by some of the best architecture in the world or to more closely examine the city’s fascinating past - you can't escape it. Our pick of the best places to stay in Bath are mostly centrally located and all make an ideal base for exploring this beautiful city.
There are dozens of smaller hotels in 18th century houses, handsome from the outside, though sometimes rather cramped within. And the historical vibe (Beau Brummel, Jane Austen, etc.) tempts some hoteliers to adopt a possibly ill-advised repro/chintzy style.
What not to Miss
- The Roman Baths from which the city takes its name were built by the Romans around the only hot spring in Britain and are still filled with natural warm water. As well as audio guides in eight languages the admission fee includes guides specially for children in both English and French.
- The ravishing Pulteney Bridge which, like Florence’s Ponte Vecchio, was designed for practicality as well as beauty with built in shops. It’s the perfect place to visit if one of you prefers sipping cappuccinos to history.
- The Fashion Museum’s 150 figures chart fashion from the late 16th century to the present day. There are exhibits of menswear, womenswear, day and evening wear and alternative fashion. You can even try on a crinoline at the Corsets and Crinolines display.
Bath is hilly which you should bear in mind if walking is a problem. It can be tricky for motorists too so if you are driving, it is advisable to make sure your hotel has parking. And don't forget that it's very busy - year round! If you want to ensure a room in one of the best places to stay in Bath, you'll need to plan ahead and book well in advance.
The best places to stay in Bath
For ‘Classic’ Bath
- The well-known Royal Crescent hotel is hard to beat if you are planning a treat. Situated right in the middle of one of the most jaw-droppingly impressive pieces of architecture in Britain, there is little chance of waking up here and wondering where you are. Effortlessly combining traditional and modern interiors it is a classy delight both inside and out. And the fabulously grown-up spa is a child-free zone.
- The Queensberry is also a townhouse hotel on a Georgian terrace, though a less famous one. There are 29 spacious rooms, and plenty of charming original features - including grand staircases and cosy drawing rooms. And you’re just opposite the Pump Rooms.
The following are small hotels which avoid camping up the history and are strongly recommended as some of the best places to stay in Bath.
- Harington's Hotel is an excellent pick if you're after a small property right in the centre of town. There are just thirteen rooms, and it's the closest hotel to the Thermae baths.
- Centrally, yet quietly, located The Kennard boasts ornate decor and Jane Austen inspired garden. The helpful owners’ attention to detail and delicious breakfasts prepared with ingredients sourced from local farms make it deservedly popular.
- The Queensberry is a chic privately owned townhouse hotel occupying several houses in a Georgian terrace. Smart and modern it is handy for the Fashion Museum being directly opposite the Assembly Rooms.
- The Halcyon is a great choice if you want somewhere a bit funky and buzzy in the city centre. There is a cocktail bar and breakfast hampers delivered to your door.
- The Ayrlington is an imposing townhouse surrounded by award-winning Oriental gardens. There are just 16 rooms - some with spectacular views of the city, and all of them individually designed in a traditional style. Some have four-poster beds.
Super smart places to stay in Bath
In the upper echelons of price and grandeur, competition is fierce and the Big Three; the Bath Priory, Bath Spa and Royal Crescent, have each splashed out heavily on spa facilities. All would also claim to be high up there amongst the best hotels in Bath.
- Highly recommended, is the Bath Priory, though it is just on the edge of the city and not in the centre. Decorated in traditional English country house style, it has an award-winning Michelin-starred restaurant, indoor and outdoor pools, glorious four acre gardens (which also supply the kitchen with vegetables) and extremely comfortable and luxurious rooms and bathrooms. Bath is quite small so the centre of the city is easily accessible from the hotel.
- The Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel stands in seven acres of formal grounds, it’s imposing and Georgian, and its spa facilities and restaurant are excellent.
Perfect for Couples
- Harington's Hotel is a great pick for couples. There are just thirteen rooms, so quite an intimate feel, and there's the added bonus of small courtyard with hot tub, which you can book by the hour - don't forget the bubbly!
- Leighton Townhouse is a Victorian villa a mile from the centre of Bath, and now converted into a ten room hotel. The decor is elegant, and all the rooms have been individually designed. They say it’s about a 15 minute stroll to the Roman Baths from here.
- Dorian House is a in a quiet spot about ten minutes from the centre of town, and offers 11 rooms decorated with an array of Asian antiques reflecting the owner’s travels - plus four-poster beds and claw-foot baths.
- No. 15 Great Pulteney is an opulent and whimsical hotel hidden behind an iconic Georgian facade in the centre of Bath. There are 22 individually designed rooms with an eclectic range of art - think handbags on the walls and jewels in the chandeliers. Suave and classy.
Great for Families
- Harrington's Hotel is an excellent value option a stone's throw from all the major attractions. It's great for families too with a couple of self catering apartments across the road. Best of all, it's got its own parking - albeit a couple of minutes walk away.
- Built by the Duke of Wellington, Apsley House is a grand, yet homely, 12 room guesthouse on the eastern fringes of Bath. Warmly, and elegantly decorated, there’s a cosy feel, great views over Bath and good breakfasts.
- The Gainsborough Bath Spa is a large hotel with plenty of choice when it comes to rooms and suites - including family suites. All elegantly decorated with period details and contemporary features. There’s a lovely lounge serving afternoon tea, a fine restaurant and a chic bar. Plus you’re right in the centre of everything.
Great Value in Bath
- Brindleys is a six bedroom property in a quiet, residential part of town just a stroll from the city centre. The decor feels French country chic and there’s a sunny courtyard and comfortable living room. Rooms start from around £80 per night.
- Tasburgh House is around 20 minutes walk from the centre of town, set in seven acres of beautiful countryside. There are 14 elegant rooms and panoramic views over Bath. Rooms start from around £85 per night.
- 18 room Henrietta House is an elegant listed house with high ceilings, antiques and an unbeatable breakfast. Classy and authentically Bath! Rooms start from around £95 per night.
- For a similar room rate you could stay at the Bailbrook House Hotel, a newly renovated but historic property with 94 rooms and 20 acres of private gardens. Romantic and peaceful.
Best Guesthouses and B&Bs
- Brooks Guest House is a friendly boutique-style guesthouse in a Victorian row in the heart of Bath. Cosy and well located close to the Royal Crescent.
- For child-free quiet, try Grays, which is a very British feeling B&B just outside the centre of town. There are just 12 rooms, most with wonderful views across Bath and the Royal Crescent.
For a self catering Apartment or Townhouse
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private home we recommend you visit our online partner, Booking.com.
- Bristol Airport is only 19 miles from Bath, and there’s a special bus, the Air Decker bus, which runs between them - though there are multiple stops en route and it takes about an hour. A taxi will take you between 35 and 45 minutes. Trains between London Paddington and Bath Spa take around 90 minutes, so you’re not far from Heathrow either.
- If you want to hire a car - which we strongly adivise if you’re staying in Bath and you want to see the surrounding countryside - we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- Beautiful Bath is busy all year round. In summer there are a lot of American visitors who are doing their Grand Tours of Europe; the trees are beautiful in autumn, plus there’s the Jane Austen Festival in September; in winter there are Christmas markets and Bath looks beautiful in the snow, and in spring there’s the Literature Festival, the flower show and the comedy festival. But a lot of people come to Bath for weekend trips, so it’s often quieter if you visit mid-week - whatever the season.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Bath
The Pig near Bath Bath, Somerset 29 rooms from £139Exclusive offer - Complimentary upgradeCountry House - Georgian Mansion, Hunstrete House, a Grade-II listed country house dating from 1820Foodies - All food in the restaurant is locally sourced within 25 milesGarden - Kitchen garden growing vegetables, herbs and fruitSpa - Potting shedRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Abbey Hotel Bath (Somerset) 62 rooms from £70Local exploring - The Roman Baths, Bath Abbey and the Jane Austen Museum, and don't forget to try the famous Bath Bun!Cooking classes - Keep an eye open for foodie evenings with culinary maestros - Pierre Koffman, Marco Pierre-White & top chefsSights nearby - Visit the city's famed Roman Baths & Bath Abbey just a short walk from the hotel.Full of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
A charming hotel set behind a glorious Georgian façade right in the centre of Bath. Individually styled retro or traditional rooms with contemporary bathrooms are the ultimate treat. Kick-off your evening in the quirky 'Art bar' followed by a mouth-watering dinner in the French-styled Brasserie. See More
Brindleys Bath (Somerset) 6 rooms from £83Local markets - From the once a year Christmas market to the year round farmer's marketsSights nearby - The world famous Roman Baths are an absolute must visitGreat walks - 'Bizarre Bath' organises guided walks around the cityRestrictions on children - Over 12's onlyRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
This six bed property is tucked away in a quiet residential nook, yet walking distance from Bath centre. Rooms are decorated in a French country style with white linens and pastel throws. There is a sunny courtyard and cosy living room to relax. A full organic breakfast awaits you each morning. See More
Tasburgh House Bath 14 rooms from £85Great walks - Many options for walking whether it be a historic city walk, a canal walk or an amble in the surrounding countrysideViews - Panoramic views over the city of BathSights nearby - 20 mins walk from the centre of BathLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Wheelbrook Mill Bath 4 rooms from £85Country Escape - A charming property located in a quaint hamlet in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.Great walks - Find miles of scenic walking trails starting from the hotel.Sights nearby - Visit the famed Roman Baths in the city of Bath.Secluded setting - For escaping.
Harington's Hotel Bath 13 rooms from £88Private Hot Tub - You can hire the courtyard hot tub by the hour for private usage.Sights nearby - Closest hotel to the Thermae Spa
Bailbrook House Hotel Bath (London Road West) 94 rooms from £95Four poster beds - For romantics.TraditionalSights nearby - Well located for major sights.
The Roseate Villa Bath 21 rooms from £99Local exploring - A smart B&B well located within Bath with most sites within walking distance from the property.Great walks - Head out of the city and explore the hills and forests of Somerset.Sights nearby - Take a tour of Bath's most famed site, the Roman Baths.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Sawdays
A smart hotel in a quiet spot near Bath's city centre. Simply designed rooms are clean, contemporary and spacious. The enormous windows offer plenty of light alongside fabulous city views. Indulgent breakfasts are served in the elegant dining room. An easy option for city breaks. See More
Bathen House Bath 13 rooms from £99Local exploring - Ideally located for exploring all that historic Bath has to offerRomantic Break - A glamourous and romantic Bath B&B ideal for a couple's getawaySights nearby - Soak up iconic Bath landmarks such as the Roman Baths, the Royal Crescent and Bath CathedralGreat walks - Take a walk through the wonderfully landscaped Prior Park, now a National Trust property
This stylish B&B set in an Edwardian building exudes a timeless glamour with high ceilings, classically elegant furniture and grand comfy sofas. Luxurious rooms feature a soft palette of cream hues and plush furnishings, not to mention indulgent marble bathrooms. Delicious breakfasts are a treat! See More
Queensberry Bath 29 rooms from £99Foodies - The Queensberry's restaurant The Olive Tree has been awarded one Michelin Star - the only one in Bath!Sights nearby - Opposite the Pump Rooms and just down the road from the historic and elegant Bath Assembly Rooms.Great walks - Take a lakeside walk in Bath Spa University’s Newton Park campus.Lively area - In the thick of the action.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Good Hotel Guide
Chic townhouse hotel on Georgian terrace, Bath. The spacious rooms, are wonderfully comfortable and boast every modern convenience. The historic architecture lends a certain glamour to the building, with original sash windows, grand staircases and cosy drawing rooms. A stylish choice. See More
Grays Bath 12 rooms from £100Value chicViews - Fabulous views across the city and the spectacular Royal CrescentSights nearby - 15 minute stroll down to the centre of BathRestrictions on children - No children under 12
The Kennard Bath 12 rooms from £110Local markets - Nearby Pulteney Bridge is one of a handful of historic bridges in the world with shops built into it.Great walks - Guests are welcome to take a stroll in the lovely Georgian Garden.Sights nearby - Just minutes from the Roman baths and Thermae Spa.Restrictions on children - Children over eight years are welcome.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
A charming Georgian townhouse in the heart of Bath, minutes from the sights. The hotel stays true to its history with ornate decor and a pretty Jane Austen inspired garden. A splendid breakfast is served in the chandelier decked dining room. Perfection, at a very reasonable price. See More
Leighton Townhouse Bath 10 rooms from £113Local exploring - Just ten minutes from the centre of town, but out of the hustle and bustle, perfect for a relaxed weekend exploring BathGreat walks - Take a leisurely stroll through the streets and start to truly appreciate the city's beautySights nearby - The famous Roman Baths are a 15 minute walk away and definitely worth a visit!TraditionalRecommended by - I Escape
Dorian House Bath (Somerset) 11 rooms from £115Great walks - Meander along the Royal Crescent or the Avon canal. Further afield there are plenty of rural walking trails.Sights nearby - The picturesque Westonbirt, Stourhead and Dyrham Park are all close by.Restrictions on children - Children are not permitted at this hotel.Full of character
Located in a quiet corner of town, yet just ten minutes walk from the city centre. Decorated with an eclectic array of Asian antiques from the owner's travels. Rooms are decorated in neutral colours, some with four-poster beds, claw-foot baths and power showers. Plus a tranquil garden to enjoy. See More
Eight, Bath Bath 8 rooms from £115Local exploring - This hotel is in a very handy location tucked into Bath's historic old town, close to the famous sights and boutiquesSights nearby - The Royal Crescent, Prior Park and the Roman Baths are a must-seeRomantic - Good for couples.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
A smart and cosy hotel in a historic Bath townhouse with original period features such as high ceilings, fireplaces and cornicing. Guests will love the fresh and light rooms featuring quality linens, pretty upholstery and classic furniture. The seasonal gourmet cuisine is a real highlight. See More
Lavender Cottage B&B Bath (Dunkerton) 3 rooms from £115Sights nearby - Visit the famous Royal Crescent and pop in to the museum at Number 1 or visit Holburne Museum.Hideaway - Just 15 minutes drive from the historic city of Bath yet tucked away in a rural corner.Great walks - Through the local village of Dunkerton or take an audio walking tour of Bath.Restrictions on children - Children are not permitted.
This former parish dating back to 1740 provides a secluded country haven just 15 minutes drive from bath. All three rooms are decorated in classic country style with antique pieces. There is a charming dining room overlooking the mature gardens. A full English Breakfast is served every morning. See More
Henrietta House Bath 18 rooms from £117Sights nearby - Bath Abbey, the Roman Baths, Thermae Bath Spa, The Jane Austen CentreTraditional
Step back into Georgian Bath but in a hotel with all mod cons. Elegant listed house with high-ceilinged rooms and shuttered windows, sleigh beds, antique furniture and traditional bathrooms. An unbeatable breakfast. Classy choice for those seeking a touch of Georgian authenticity. See More
The Wheatsheaf Bath 3 rooms from £120Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
The Halcyon Hotel Apartments Bath 7 rooms from £120City Style - Town house apartments in the city centre with a popular bar - city break in style.Sights nearby - 2 mins from the Abbey, Roman Baths & Thermae SpaGreat walks - The Botanical GardensLively - Hip and happening.
Funky informality and affordable style in these trendy apartments in the centre of Bath. A lively bar and large apartment suites - each with private lounge area and kitchen. Elegantly decorated and comfortable. A fun spot in the heart of the city with a chic town house feel. See More
Brittons Farm Bath (Beach) 4 rooms from £125Suites - All suites feature Nespresso Coffee machines and Molton Brown smellies.Child friendly - Help feed the farm animals including micro pigs, horses and ponies.Sights nearby - Just 10 mins drive to the centre of Bath.
Dreamstays Bath 6 rooms from £125Local exploring - All apartments are bang in the centre of town and ideal for seeing all of Bath's best bits.Sights nearby - All apartments are located in the heart of Bath, so you can walk to all the top attractions
A selection of chic, family friendly apartments and townhouse bang in the centre of Bath. From romantic bolthole for two to a smart townhouse for up to 10, Dreamstays provides beautifully kitted out, luxurious self catering accommodation just a stone's throw from the Thermae Spa and other highlights See More
The Ayrlington Bath 16 rooms from £130City Style - A glamorous property in the heart of the historical city of Bath.Sights nearby - Visit the famed Roman Bath complex.OpulentRomantic - Good for couples.
An imposing town house surrounded by award winning oriental gardens and with stunning city views. Individually designed rooms and suites are opulent and traditional in style. Some feature four posters. An indulgent Full English is served for breakfast. Well located to explore the city. Very chic. See More
Apsley House Bath 12 rooms from £135Total relaxation - A quiet and relaxing space to explore the city of Bath fromTraditional - Furnished with antiques and fine paintings.Historic - Built by the Duke of WellingtonSights nearby - The Circus, Pulteney Bridge, Prior Park and Bath AbbeyRecommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide
Brooks Guest House Bath (Upper Bristol Road) 22 rooms from £140City Style - A stylish property, in keeping with Bath's Victorian heritageLocal exploring - An excellent base to explore Bath on footSights nearby - Very close to the Royal Crescent and a short walk from the centre of town and all major attractions.TraditionalRecommended by - Sawdays
Bath Priory Bath 27 rooms from £140Total relaxation - Beautiful landscaped gardens, proximity to the thermal baths and giant soaking tubs will rejuvenate any guest.Traditional - Great paintings, objets d'art and belle epoque chandeliers.Foodies - Boasting a Michelin starred restaurantGreat walks - Take a stroll around the beautifully landscaped gardens and walled Kitchen Garden, producing fresh produce for the restaurant.Recommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Sawdays
An elegant Georgian manor turned hotel, on the edge of the city. Charming suites feature beautiful fabrics and original sash windows commanding spectacular views of the grounds. The award winning restaurant serves up delicious dishes straight from the Victorian walled garden. See More
Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel Bath 129 rooms from £148Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolSpaTraditional5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Frommers, Michelin Travel
Hillhouse Bath (Somerset) 6 rooms from £150Local exploring - Well located on one of Bath's quiet crescents but just a 10 minute walk into the city centre.Sights nearby - Take a tour of the famed Roman Baths.Restrictions on children - Adult onlyViews - Great views from hotel
A smart B&B in central Bath with fantastic breakfasts and a very warm welcome. Individually designed rooms are traditional in style with softly patterned fabric draping the enormous sash windows, crisp white linen and simple contemporary furniture. The perfect base for a city break. See More
Grove Lodge Bath (London Road) 3 rooms from £160Local exploring - Make the most out of Grove Lodge's location to see all that Bath has to offerShort fly break - Grove Lodge is located just 16 miles away from Bristol AirportSights nearby - Pulteney Bridge, The Roman Baths and Bath Abbey are absolute must-visits!Great walks - Wander around this historic city taking in its charming architecture
Grove Lodge is, simply put, one of Bath’s best kept secrets. This luxury, adult-friendly B&B combines an old-world charm with stylish modern interiors, and a friendly yet high-level, discreet service. A great base from which to explore this historical city or simply enjoy a weekend escape. See More
Paradise House Bath 11 rooms from £161City Style - An elegant B&B, with contemporary interiors and splendid garden views in the historic city of Bath.Great walks - Get out of town and enjoy walks in the Somerset countryside.Sights nearby - Visit the city's 18th Century Roman Baths and Abbey.Views - Great views from hotel
An elegant Georgian property converted into a luxury B&B. Individually styled rooms keep their original features yet have a light contemporary feel. Indulgent breakfasts are served and a quiet terrace offers stunning views across the award winning gardens that lie behind the property. See More
No 15 Great Pulteney Bath 22 rooms from £169City Style - An opulent and whimsical hotel hidden behind an iconic Georgian facade, think handbags on the walls and jewels on the chandelierFoodies - The Dispensary restaurant serves wonderful meals and you can also order sandwiches to be brought to you in the sitting room!Romantic Break - No 15 Great Pulteney is located in the heart of Bath making it the perfect base from which to get to know the cityLocal markets - Go explore the Guildhall Market, the city's oldest shopping venue and home to an eclectic variety of stallsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Sawdays
The recently renovated No 15 Great Pulteney offers elegant, individually designed rooms in central Bath. An eclectic range of artworks adorn the walls and vintage furnishings help give the place an old-time feel. Each room also boasts city or garden views. A classy and suave city spot! See More
Combe Grove Bath (SOMERSET) 40 rooms from £170Country Escape - A chic country house on the outskirts of Bath.Great walks - Take long walks through the property's 70 acres of wooded grounds.Sights nearby - Head into Bath to visit its most famed site, the Roman Baths.Restrictions on children - Children over 14 are welcomed
A stately Georgian manor house set in 70 acres of unspoilt countryside. Carefully designed throughout, the original features remain intact with contemporary bathrooms, bold prints and bright colours standing in cunning contrast. Just 10 minutes from the city centre but the feel is completely rural. See More
The Gainsborough Bath Spa Bath 99 rooms from £255Spa breaks - Tapping into Bath's original thermal springsWellbeing - An extensive range of personalised therapiesTotal relaxation - Specialist aquatic body therapiesGreat walks - Bowood House and Gardens nearby
A one of a kind thermal spa hotel in the heart of Bath. Each bedroom is elegantly decorated with period details and contemporary features. Luxurious bedding and modern appliances provide extra comfort. The hotel has a fine restaurant, chic bar and a pleasant afternoon tea lounge. See More
The Royal Crescent Hotel Bath 45 rooms from £345SpaTraditional5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Michelin Travel