Search the best hotels in Hertfordshire
Just north of London, Hertfordshire is green and leafy and dotted with lovely little towns and villages. Many of the best places to stay in Hertfordshire are wonderful old manor houses and stately homes, now converted to offer weekends in the country and mini break escapes.
What Not To Miss
- Hatfield House, the majestic childhood home of Queen Elizabeth I with beautifully manicured gardens and tours of the rooms available all for making a memorable experience.
- The remaining section of a Roman Wall in the lovely town of St Albans providing a snapshot of history in Britain all those years ago.
- Pay a visit to the majestic St Albans Cathedral - a truly vast spectacle. Equally impressive inside as out with huge columns rising to the skies.
- Bring the alps to you with a visit to the one of the UK's largest indoor ski centres located in Milton Keynes. There's two lifts and a beginners and main slope ensuring everyone can join in.
- Visit Hemel Hempstead for the Grand Union Canal, providing lovely walking routes along this historic waterway.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Hertfordshire include something to suit all visitors, from quaint B&B's to majestic manor houses.
For Manor House Luxury
- Just outside of St. Albans, Sopwell House is a wonderfully elegant Georgian country house which has been beautifully restored. Some of the 130 rooms have four poster beds and balconies and there’s an extensive spa and a fine dining restaurant.
- The Grove is another converted manor house, though this time it’s surrounded by 300 acres of its own land. On which there’s tennis courts, a golf course, a pool and spa and many other luxury activities. There are 190 rooms and four restaurants!
For a B&B
- Fantastically located, Number One Port Hill is a small multi-award winning B&B set in a picturesque part of Hertfordshire. Filled with well placed ornaments and antiques the property has an air of opulence. The wonderfully welcoming Annie serves up fantastic breakfasts and is more than willing to share her knowledge of the region.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a range of properties ideal for exploring the region.
- Fly to London Luton Airport located 19km (11.7 miles) from St Albans. The airport caters to various destinations across the UK and Europe.
- Hertfordshire is also well connected by rail links to London and further afield.
- If you want to rent a car - for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - the summer months from June to early September provide the warmest weather for enjoying all the outdoor delights this county has to offer.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Hertfordshire,
- Alternatively, widen the net and include our suggestions in Cambridgeshire or London
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Hertfordshire
Best Hotels in Hertfordshire
The Kings Arms BERKHAMSTED, Hertfordshire 14 rooms from £89Local exploring - Perfectly located in the heart of the vibrant town of Berkhamsted, ideal for exploring the town and its surrounding countryside.Great walks - Take scenic strolls along the pretty tow path running besides the Grand Union Canal.Sights nearby - Discover the ruins of Berkhamsted Castle.Traditional
A chic pub with rooms in the heart of historic market town, Berkhamsted. Light and airy rooms boast high ceilings, white-washed walls, crisp white linen and the odd exposed beam. Mediterranean styled dishes come in pleasingly large portions in the restaurant. Ideal for weekend escapes from London. See More
The White Horse Hertfordshire 7 rooms from £115Country Escape - Only 45-minutes drive from Central London, it's a perfect quick break to the countryDesigner - Rooms are kitted out in Cole & Son's outstanding new range of exotic wallpapers, The Ardmore CollectionRestaurant with rooms - Gastropub classics with fresh modern British cuisineRestaurant - Great restaurant supplied by local farmers
Sopwell House Hertfordshire 129 rooms from £129Local markets - St. Albans - a local market townSpa - ESPA and Clarins treatmentsSwimming Pool - 14.5 metre indoor poolSights nearby - Knebworth House
Number One Port Hill HERTFORDSHIRE, Hertfordshire 3 rooms from £130Country Escape - A boutique country property with a warm welcome and great location.Sights nearby - Take a tour of Hatfield House, home of the 7th Marquess and Marchioness of Salisbury.Restrictions on children - Children over 12 are welcomeOpulentRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
A small multi-award winning B&B set in a picturesque part of Hertfordshire. Filled with well placed ornaments and antiques the property has an air of opulence. The wonderfully welcoming Annie serves up fantastic breakfasts and is more than willing to share her knowledge of the region. See More
The Grove, Hertfordshire Hertfordshire 191 rooms from £210Pet friendly - Dogs allowed; pet-sitters availableGolf - Championship standard golf courseBicycles available - Bikes available for freeRestaurant - 4 restaurants available
Five-star hotel set in 300 acres of Hertfordshire countryside. With tennis courts, outdoor swimming pool, golf course, spa, and many other luxury activities, this is a higher class of retreat. Four restaurants with over seventy chefs mean that its culinary offerings match the accommodation. See More