Search the best hotels in Leicestershire
Leicestershire’s central position within the UK should make it a useful base, but its gently rolling green countryside is often overlooked now we’re so good at travelling long distances between places. Bosworth Field, Richard II’s final resting place, the National Space Centre, and Melton Mowbray - for the pies, are fantastic sites, but easily reached from outside Leicestershire. Our gurus recommend giving this peaceful old Mercian kingdom a second look, though, because their list of the best places to stay in Leicestershire includes some really charming country house hotels and rural B&Bs, and some great pubs-with-rooms.
Leicester is the main town, and the best place to stay in Leicestershire if you’re looking for Roman ruins, a fantastic foodie, or cultural experience, of a city break. It’s also great for shopping? Some of the old market towns have more charm, though, consider Market Harborough - for stilton cheese especially, or Loughborough, for its textiles. Outside of the major market towns Leicestershire offers you the Bosworth Battle Heritage Centre; a family nature centre called 'Conkers’; acres of green belt in the form of woods, forests and country parks; and an excellent collection of stately homes.
Some of Leicestershire’s grand manor houses are now also some of the best places to stay in Leicestershire. Traditionally Leicestershire was known for its food, farming and engineering, and its County Show, held annually on the May Bank Holiday, is a fantastic place to get the full picture of Leicestershire’s story. There’s impressive livestock showing; show jumping; all sorts of baking and jam-making and foodie festivities; and field sports exhibitions. This is also a great opportunity to try proper pork pie, Red Leicester, stilton, and an impressive range of locally imagined and produced biscuits. Leicestershire even has one of the last commercially working watermills, which produces around 40 different kinds of flour.
The Best Places to Stay in Leicestershire
For a Country House Hotel
- Kilworth House is a grand country house, looking like a beautiful, full-sized dollhouse in acres of its own gardens and parkland. As well as an elegant facade of pale stone, balustraded balconies and friezes, Kilworth House has peaceful courtyards, and terraces, and its own open-air theatre. Inside are 44 rooms and suites, individually decorated as they would have been when this was still a manor house - with high ceilings, four-poster beds, chandeliers and antique furnishings. Some of the suites are suitable for families. There are four dining options on site too, which certainly helps families out, ranging from casual to fine dining. Definitely special.
- Stapleford Park is a huge Georgian era country estate close to Melton Mowbray, surrounded by wonderful gardens laid out by Capability Brown. Everything here feels spacious, from the vast windows and large rooms and suites - 55 of them, to the indoor pool, the spa, and dining rooms. Classic country pursuits on offer include shooting and falconry, archery, off-road driving, croquet and tennis, and you can also ply golf on the hotel’s 18 hole course. Very grand indeed.
For a Countryside Escape
- Abbots Oak Manor is a beautiful old country house turned small hotel, complete with an old square tower, many chimneys and fantastic old dark-wood panelling. It has just four rooms, all of them simply decorated in mostly white, with contemporary details. There’s a cosy bar, but no restaurant. Close to Calke Abbey.
- Bosworth Field isn’t an attraction for everyone, but if you would like to see it, and stay nearby, Horseshoe Cottage Farm is an excellent pick. This 200 year old farmhouse is also well located for anyone wanting a country escape - the gardens are expansive, and you’re close to Bradgate Park and miles and miles of open countryside. The cottage is now a three room B&B, with lovely communal areas and loads original features to appreciate. Our Gurus liked the natural stone walls and ancient beams.
For a City Break
- St Martins Lodge has been converted from an elegant Georgian building with a Grade II listing, and is ideally located for a city break, in the centre of historic Leicester, overlooking the gardens of Leicester cathedral. The lodge has 28 rooms and suites, decorated in a classic style in contemporary colours. Our Gurus appreciated the natural light, spacious feel to the room, and the Nespresso machine. There’s no restaurant, but you’re surrounded by places to eat and drink.
- Winstanley House is a stately, red-brick mansion in pristine parkland on the outskirts of Leicester. Its 19 rooms and suites offer a range of decor styles, from traditional to contemporary - all with luxurious bathrooms. The hotel restaurant is fine dining - specialising in steak, and open to non-guests if you fancy a treat and a peaceful, romantic atmosphere?
- Kegworth House was an elegant house in the pretty village of Kegworth, until it became an elegant small hotel. There are just nine rooms and suites, all individually decorated and designed. Stay in the eves for exposed beams, a four-poster bed and cosy romance, or lower down for roll-top baths and traditional floor tiling. As well as changing the layout, the house gained a small spa and gym during its hotel conversion.
- The Manor House at Quorn is a great little pub-with-rooms and a restaurant. There are just seven rooms, all comfortably, and simply decorated against the building’s exposed bricks and beams. The restaurant serves heart food, and the overall impression is of cosy comfort. In a pretty village, and close to a couple of golf courses and good fishing spots.
- Breedon Hall is a beautifully converted manor, turned five guest room B&B in the pretty village of Breedon-on-the-Hill, which is close to Calke Abbey, and the market towns of Melbourne and Ashby-de-la-Zouch. There’s a good range of rooms, from romantic options, to twin rooms, and it’s definitely the sort of place you might consider booking in its entirety. The gardens surrounding the property are well kept, and the atmosphere is of country relaxation.
- The Keepers Lodge is a picturesque B&B set in a village of matching picturesque-ness, Swithland. There are just two rooms, both of them light and airy, and decorated with creamy neutrals. The breakfast is indulgent, enough to set you up for a days walking though local Charnwood Forest, or Swithland Woods.
Prefer a Private Apartment or Cottage?
- If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- The closest airport to Leicester is East Midlands Airport, which is close to Castle Donnington, about 25minutes by car or taxi from the centre of Leicester. London Luton Airport is is probably second closest, about an hour and twenty minutes away by car or taxi, or about two hours on the train. If you’re coming from the direction of London, trains leave from St. Pancras, and the direct route takes just an hour and five minutes, so you might be better off travelling through London. Leicester is at the intersection of two railway lines, the Midland Main Line and the line between Birmingham and London Stansted Airport.
- If you want to hire a car we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- Leicestershire is a busiest during the late spring and early summer months, but that corresponds with the busiest time for UK tourism generally. The maritime climate means the summers are mild to warm and the winters cool. The cultural calendar is nicely charged with year-round festivals and events too. With the National Space Centre, Leicester Cathedral, Richard III’s burial site, the Roman remains, and a swathe of other attractions, Leicester a promising city break destination, with plenty to see and do here year round.
Still not sure where to stay?
- You could refine your search to just the best places to stay in Leicester?
- or consider one of Leicestershire’s other centres, Castle Donnington? Melton Mowbray? Kegworth? Burbage? or Market Harborough?
- or refine by the type of accommodation, and consider the best pubs-with-rooms in the Midlands?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Leicestershire
Best Hotels in Leicestershire
St Martins Lodge Leicester 28 rooms from £99Local exploring - The hotel is a short walk from the historic sites in Leicester's city centreWeddings - The hotel is connected to the Medieval Guildhall, a popular wedding venueSights nearby - The hotel overlooks Leicester Cathedral and its serene gardens
An elegant hotel overlooking the gardens of Leicester Cathedral. Built inside a Grade II listed Georgian building with a modern and elegant interior. Rooms are bright and spacious with a contemporary classic style. No restuarant but plenty close by. A chic stay in the heart of the city. See More
Breedon Hall Leicestershire 5 rooms from £80Local exploring - Ideally located for exploring the surrounding countrysideLocal markets - Visit the local market towns of Melbourne & Ashby de la Zouch.House party feel - Be prepared to meet people.Full of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
Charming, luxury B&B. Choose from just five, individually designed elegant and sumptuous rooms, each with an en-suite. Relax in the well-kept garden or get out and about- there's plenty to do in the surrounding area. Book the entire property and host a weekend or event to remember! See More
Winstanley House Leicester 19 rooms from £100Local exploring - A smart country mansion surrounded by glorious parkland and just minutes from Leicester.Great walks - Take long walks through the 168 acres of picturesque parkland that surround the property.Romantic - Good for couples.Traditional
A stately mansion set in pristine parkland on the outskirts of Leicester. Bedrooms mix contemporary and traditional styles with soft hues, contemporary furniture, plush leather headboards and luxurious bathrooms. The fine dining restaurant, specialising in steak, is worthy of a visit alone. See More
The Manor House at Quorn Quorn, Leicestershire 7 rooms from £100Country Escape - A country pub complete with cosy interiors, hearty food and beautiful surrounding countryside.Great walks - Take long walks through the picturesque Beacon Hill Country Park.Full of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
A chic rural pub offering luxurious accommodation and exemplary pub restaurant. A handful of individually styled rooms perfectly mix contemporary and traditional styles with exposed brick and beams, simple modern furniture and crisp white linen. A delightful rural escape. See More
Keepers Lodge Loughborough, Leicestershire 2 rooms from £103Country Escape - A charming country house surrounded by fantastic walking country.Great walks - Explore scenic walking trails running through the Charnwood Forest, Bradgate Park or Swithland Woods.Full of characterTraditional
A charming B&B set in the picturesque village of Swithland. The two rooms are light and airy with soft hues, crisp white linen and contemporary bathrooms. The welcome is warm and indulgent English breakfasts are served. A cosy spot from which to explore the local countryside. See More
Kegworth House Kegworth, Leicestershire 9 rooms from £110Total relaxation - A tranquil property in a quiet village complete with health club and spa.Sights nearby - Take a tour of the impressive Nottingham Castle.Full of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
A quintessentially British home in the pretty village of Kegworth. Nine individually styled rooms have sash windows and are traditionally dressed with antique pieces and pastel hues - the best feature roll top baths. An indulgent spa and quiet position make this ideal for a relaxing weekend away. See More
Horseshoe Cottage Farm Leicestershire 3 rooms from £110Sights nearby - There are attractions nearby such as Bosworth Battlefield and the National Space Centre.Great walks - Bradgate Country Park is just across the road and is ideal walking territory.Full of characterViews - Great views from hotel
Set in a traditional 200 year old former farmhouse this fantastic luxury B&B has rooms with natural stone walls, ceiling beams and pretty fabrics. There is an open fire in the sitting room and beautiful gardens in which to relax. Close to Bradgate Park and wonderful open countryside. See More
Abbots Oak Manor Coalville, Leicestershire 4 rooms from £120Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of beautiful walking routes.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Calke Abbey.Full of characterRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Sawdays
Kilworth House North Kilworth, Leicestershire 44 rooms from £235Country Escape - Set in 38-acres of parkland, and with walking and fishing on site, this is a lovely spot for a country breakTheatre - The hotel boasts its own open-air theatre that has been voted one of the best in the countryFishing - Fish for common carp, mirror carp, perch, roach, pike, tench and bream in the hotel's own fishing lakeRestaurant - There are four dining options ranging from casual to fine dining
A grand country house hotel set in acres of rolling parkland with its very own open-air theatre. Beautiful rooms are traditionally styled with high ceilings, sash windows, antiques, and chandeliers. With four dining options ranging from casual to fine dining, this is a luxurious rural getaway. See More
Stapleford Park nr Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire 55 rooms from £288Child friendly - Mini golf, falconery, archery - and Rutland Water and TwinlakesGarden - 500 acres landscaped by Capability BrownTraditionalViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels