- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Northumberland
One of our favourite counties, vast, beautiful and relatively little visited, Northumberland feels far from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Our pick of the best places to stay in Northumberland are perfect bases to explore this stunning region, whether you're here for the beaches or the pretty villages and market towns.
There are miles of empty golden sandy beaches and stunning countryside set amongst two areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and the rugged Northumberland National Park. The county is home to countless castles and the birthplace of English Christianity, the Holy Island of Lindisfarne. The pretty towns and villages make for the perfect setting ideal for hikers, mountain bikers or couples looking to find a romantic country escape.
What not to miss
- Visit Haridan’s Wall, a long, tapering Roman structure along the coastal country-side. Known to be Roman Britain’s biggest building project, the Wall leaves a lasting impression. All along the Wall, you will find countless mini Roman structures such as milecastles, temples and forts.
- Northumberland National Park is a great spot for long treks in authentic English countryside. A beautiful place to escape to acres of land filled with clear air, clean waters and deep, dark skies.
- The Holy Island of Lindisfarne is well-known as the ancient epicentre of Christianity in Anglo Saxon times. Despite years of Viking raids and harsh weather conditions, this island remains a significant place of pilgrimage even today.
- Discover some of the country’s most legendary walking paths or visit charming market towns like Alnwick for fresh, locally sourced meals.
The region offers a variety of accommodation and we have scoured the lands, inspecting numerous establishments and discarding most as ordinary. The remainder, rest assured, are the ones that stood out and are the best places to stay in Northumberland.
Most of our selection of the best places to stay in Northumberland come in the form of country inns. These traditional hostelries now offer tasteful accommodation, plus all the benefits of a pub with rooms. Our favourites are:
- The Battlesteads Hotel & Restaurant located right in the heart of Northumberland, is a great choice for cosy comfort in a modern lodge-style accommodation. This off-beat property has carved a niche for its eco-principles and inventive menus.
- The Angel Inn at Corbidge is a traditional property also in the middle of rural Northumberland. The rooms are simple, comfortable and offer a warm setting of fire places and iron beds. Expect delicious meals inspired by the local produce.
- Located right in the middle of the National Park is The Pheasant Inn. It serves as the perfect base for fishing or walkers interested in a nearby stroll in the park.
- The Duke of Wellington Inn is a stylish yet relaxed country pub with classy rooms. What’s more, despite being off the main tourist track, it has built up a great following for food. Accessible by both Northumberland and Newcastle places it in a unique spot.
- St Mary’s Inn is a great place to start your exploration of the county as it is in close vicinity of Hadrian's Wall and Newcastle. A great choice for delcious food and a warm bed.
- The lovely Thistleyhaugh is an old Georgian farmhouse B&B owned by the same family for the last one hundred years! It is full of antiques and period features with wonderful views of the region's country side.
- Another luxurious property is Chatton Park House. Former home of the Duke of Northumberland, it boasts a stately character that makes for a remarkable stay. Rooms are Edwardian in proportions with large sash windows. The four acres of land hold individual cottages and tennis courts. And of course, don't miss the full English breakfast served in grand spendour.
- Located on the stunning north-east coast is St Cuthbert's House. This award-winning B&B was once a Presbyterian church. A great escape from city streets for a picturesque, sea-side vacation.
- Eshott Hall is a beautiful and relaxed 17th century property. The entire house is filled with period features, including original William Morris stained glass. Rooms are elegant, filled with delicate antiques, ideal for art enthusiasts.
- Walkwick Hall, a handsome Georgian house almost sits on Hadrian's Wall. It has a fresh, country-house style with peerless views over the beautiful landscape. To top it off, it offers smart food as well as a bijou leisure centre and spa!
- The Bondgate Boutique is a miniature Georgian townhouse in the centre of historic Alnwick village. Stylish in decor, this beautiful building mixes classic with a smart urban feel. With castles and gardens on the doorstep, it offers an ideal base to explore the nearby scenery as well as the nearby pubs and restaurants.
- The Victoria Hotel is located in the historic coastal town of Bamburgh. A great place to explore nearby treasures, including lovely beaches and coves! The rooms are spacious and comfortable with spectacular castle views.
- On the edge of Bamburgh is another cosy location, The Mizen Head. Styled in chic contemporary décor, it is a treat for those seeking a smart, yet simple country escape. Come here for mouth-watering seafood and boat trips to the Farne Islands.
- Roxbro House in the charming little town of Warkworth provides comfortable, elegant accommodation in opulently decorated rooms. Breakfasts here are served in a wood panelled dining room or outside in the garden. Ideal for a weekend hideaway.
Golf and Spa Resort
- The Matfen Hall brings you tasteful luxury in the midst of the country parkland. Rooms are cheerful and modern with top notch facilities including an 18 hole golf course, golf academy, spa and much more.
For a holiday cottage
- If you want your own little place in Northumberland, why not rent a holiday cottage or apartment. We recommend the selection with our online partner Booking.com.
- The closest aiport in the region is the Newcastle International Airport (a 45-minute drive to Alnwick). Youu can also reach Northumberland from the Durham Tees Valley International Airport, just over an hour’s drive south of Morpeth.
- Alternatively, trains run from London’s Kings Cross to Newcastle, Morpeth, Alnmouth and Berwick-upon-Tweed.
- The region boasts a charm of its own for every season, however, the best time to vist is the spring for the fresh blossoms in the nature reserves and the summer to enjoy a peaceful seaside vacation.
- If you wish to hire a care, which we adivse if you plan to tour the region, we recommend you check out our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Northumberland
The Bondgate Boutique 7 rooms from £55Alnwick (Northumberland)
A miniature Georgian town house converted into stylish, boutique accommodation with a smart, urban feel. In the centre of historic Alnwick - with castle and gardens on the door-step - it offers great value and is strolling distance to pubs and restaurants.Great walks - Alnwick Garden is within walking distance and pretty place to wander around.Sights nearby - The medieval Alnwick Castle is a must.
The Walls B&B 3 rooms from £80Berwick-upon-Tweed
Overlooking the seawalls of Berwick-upon-Tweed, the aptly named Walls B&B is a charming establishment. Doing the simple things right with comfortable rooms, excellent breakfasts and superb massage treatments. It's a great base from which to explore the town and surrounding coastline.Sights nearby - Visit Northumberland castles at Etal, Lindisfarne and Bamburgh.Local markets - Browse Berwick Market on Wednesdays and Saturdays.Full of characterSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
The Victoria Hotel 29 rooms from £77Bamburgh, Northumberland
Lying in the shadow of Bamburgh Castle, the Victoria Hotel is a great place to stay while exploring the picturesque surroundings of Northumberland. The rooms are comfortable and spacious with many affording views of the castle. An idyllic countryside escape in Northumberland.Local exploring - Perfect for exploring the historic town of Bamburgh, and the lovely beaches and coves further along the coast.Sights nearby - Visit the magnificent Bamburgh Castle, less than ten minutes walk away.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Views - Great views from hotel
Thistleyhaugh 5 rooms from £90Morpeth, Northumberland
Lovely Georgian farmhouse set in sprawling farmlandRemote - Off the beaten track.House party feel - Be prepared to meet people.Secluded setting - For escaping.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
St Mary's Inn 11 rooms from £90Morpeth, Northumberland
Large and handsome - cosy, welcoming downstairs and cool, stylish bedrooms upstairs. A great choice of food, and with a muddle of dogs, walkers and locals in the bar, it’s a friendly and welcoming base for exploring Northumberland or a useful stop-over for journeys between the south and Scotland.Sights nearby - Hadrian’s Wall and Newcastle are both nearby.Sailing - Take a boat out to the remote Farne Islands.Great walks - Into the woods of nearby Hartburn Glebe.Traditional
William de Percy Inn 25 rooms from £90Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland
In the charming Northumberland town of Otterburn, the William de Percy Inn is a delightful hotel. Featuring sleek rooms, an atmospheric bar and an excellent restaurant, it's perfect for those looking to explore Northumberland and the amazing National Park.Local exploring - A great base from which to explore the charms of Northumberland.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of lovely walking routes.Sights nearby - Visit the stunning nearby Woodhill Hall.Romantic - Good for couples.
Angel Inn at Corbridge 7 rooms from £95Corbridge, Northumberland
A former coaching inn, in the centre of a charming market town, with a rustic-chic makeover, smart bedrooms and a buzzy bar that's also a locals’ favourite. Sun-trap terrace, too.Country Escape - Traditional British inn set in rural Northumberland, with all the trimmings and even a fish and chip takeaway!Local markets - Hexham Farmers' Market takes place every second and fourth Saturday of the month, head down to pick up some fresh local produce.Great walks - Wonderful walking from the hotel around the surrounding countryside.Sights nearby - Corbridge Roman Site is only a ten minute walk away.
Carraw B&B 4 rooms from £96Humshaugh, Hexham, Northumberland
A charming country house boasting a secluded spot on the edge of Northumberland National Park. Four traditional rooms are simply dressed with crisp white linen, exposed stone and wooden furniture. With remains of Hadrien's Wall running through the garden this is for history and nature lovers alike.Country Escape - Boasting a secluded spot, cosy interiors and fabulous walking country.Sights nearby - Major Roman sites, such as Vindolanda and Housesteads, are within 10 to 20 minutes’ drive.Great walks - Northumberland National park provides endless beautiful walking trails.Restrictions on children - Adult only
The Mizen Head 11 rooms from £98Bamburgh, Northumberland
On the edge of Bamburgh, one of Northumberland’s most attractive coastal villages, this is a treat for both seafood-lovers and those seeking a country escape in a smart but simple, contemporary styled hotel. Rooms are light and comfortable, the restaurant deservedly popular.Sailing - Billy Shiel's Boat Trips runs journeys to The Farne Islands.Sights nearby - Bamburgh Castle and Alnwick Castle are both worth a visit.Great walks - Traverse The Northumberland Coast Path.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Chatton Park House 2 rooms from £109Alnwick, Northumberland
Former home of the Duke of Northumberland, this stately property makes for a luxury country stay. Rooms are Edwardian in proportions with large sash windows and a 'Country Living' style as well as a separate cottage. There are 4 acres of land and tennis courts. A full English breakfast is served.Great walks - The Cheviot Hills have many walking paths and great views along the way.Sights nearby - Alnwick and Bamburgh Castle are both nearby.Restrictions on children - Children over the age of 18 permitted.Full of character
Doxford Hall Hotel & Spa from £109Alnwick, Northumberland
Georgian country house set in the beautiful Northumberland countryside. Rooms are spacious and dressed with rich fabrics and period style furniture. The restaurant is award winning. Spa including swimming pool, sauna, steam and treatment rooms. With 10 acres of grounds to explore - truly relaxing.Country Escape - Beautiful setting in the Northumberland countryside, a true escape.Sights nearby - Alnwick Castle and Garden is just a short drive away.Sailing - Boat trips to the Farne Islands leave from Seahouses.Great walks - Set out on the Northumberland coastal path.
Roxbro House 6 rooms from £110Warkworth, Northumberland
Situated in the charming little town of Warkworth providing comfortable, elegant accomodation. Rooms are opulently decorated with freestanding baths and sumptuous fabrics. Breakfasts are served in a wood panelled dining room or outside in the garden. Hot Tub on site. Ideal weekend hideaway.Sights nearby - Warkworth Castle is opposite. Alnwick Castle and gardens are just 10 mins & Newcastle is half an hour awayGreat walks - Explore the Northumberland OutdoorsKayaking - River Coquet Canoe TrailBirdwatching - Coquet Island.
St Cuthbert's House 6 rooms from £110Northumberland
Presbyterian church turned award-winning bed and breakfast on the stunning north-east coast. If searching for an escape from a busy lifestyle, or for a picturesque tourist visit, this bed and breakfast is ideal.B+B - England's best B&B 2014.Country EscapeRestrictions on children - Only children over 12 welcomeSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Battlesteads Hotel & Restaurant 22 rooms from £115nr Hexham, Northumberland
In the heart of Northumberland, yet still accessible, this traditional coaching inn has carved a niche for its eco-principles. Menus are inventive, much from the kitchen garden, while rooms offer a choice of cosy comfort or modern lodge-style.Great walks - Hadrian's Wall & Keilder WaterBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Traditional
Duke of Wellington Inn 7 rooms from £120Newton, Northumberland
A stylish yet relaxed country pub with classy rooms that has built up a great following for its food despite being off the main tourist track. It makes a good base for exploring both Northumberland and Newcastle and has stunning views south across the Tyne valley.Sights nearby - Hadrian’s Wall, Newcastle’s museums, galleries, historic attractionsGreat walks - including Hadrian’s Wall long-distance pathTraditional
Eshott Hall 16 rooms from £120Northumberland
This wisteria covered 17th century property promises a relaxed country house stay. Following a Herculean restoration owners have maintained period features (including an original William Morris stain glass) and created elegant rooms filled with antiques. A formal dining room serves a gourmet menu.Great walks - The property has its very own arboretum as well as formal gardens. With 35-acres there is plenty to explore here.Sailing - Off Northumberland's rugged coastline. Enquire with the hotel for information regarding sailing trips.Sights nearby - The historic Alnwick castle is a must visit.OpulentRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Collingwood Arms 15 rooms from £130Cornhill-On-Tweed, Northumberland
A wonderful converted coaching inn on the River Tweed. The elegant rooms are tastefully decorated with neutral tones and crisp linens. Choose between the informal pub and the parquet floored restaurant, both serving wholesome gourmet cuisine. A great country escape with wonderful walks and fishing.Total relaxation - Chill in the charming garden, settle in by the roaring fires and feast on the wholesome food.Sights nearby - Nearby historic sights include Melrose and Kelso Abbeys and Bamburgh and Lindisfarne Castles.Fishing - Just yards from the River Tweed, this is a very popular spot come fishing season.Great walks - Get your wellies on and explore the Muirs and Hills of the Scottish Borders.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
The Joiners Arms 5 rooms from £140Northumberland
A romantic ‘weekend treat’ gastropub, close to one of Northumberland’s prettiest beaches. Rooms are big and sexy, the decoration eclectic, and the food smart and hearty. Surrounded by lovely walks and peaceful countryside, too.Great walks - This is ideal great walking country with something for all abilities.Sights nearby - Farne Islands, Alnwick Castle, Holy Island.Outstanding location - Area of Outstanding Natural BeautyBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.
The Percy Arms 5 rooms from £140Northumberland
This relaxed country inn, with a contemporary-rustic freshness and low-key country-house style bedrooms, is beautifully peaceful and well-placed for exploring both Northumberland's coast and countryside.Country Escape - A charming rural retreat surrounded by picturesque Northumberland countryside.Sights nearby - Visit the historic castles at Bamburgh, Chillingham, Dunstanburgh or Alnwick.Great walks - Walk along the pristine beaches and through the beaches and Cheviot Hills.Sailing - Take a boat trip to the Farne Islands.
The Northumberland Arms 6 rooms from £140Felton, Northumberland
A handsome Georgian coaching inn, in a charming Northumberland village, with six spacious, boutique bedrooms. With a relaxed, rustic-chic feel, it’s good for a stylish, country getaway whether you want to be active or read a book around one of the wood-burning stoves.Sights nearby - Alnwick Castle & Garden, Warkworth Castle, and many National Trust properties to visitGreat walks - Coastal paths or country hikes, this is excellent walking countryLocal markets - There are regular farmers' markets in both Alnwick and Morpeth
Post Office House 3 rooms from £146Belford, Northumberland
A quaint B&B - the former Post Office - in the charming village of Belford. Lovingly renovated throughout, the rooms feature cast iron beds, chintz fabrics and sash windows. Feast on hearty breakfasts complete with espressos and home-made bread before explore the picturesque region.Local exploring - Ideally located to access Northumberland's delights from beaches to castles and countryside.Sights nearby - Visit St Cuthbert’s Cave, under the care of the National Trust.Great walks - Discover the Cheviot Hills on long scenic walks.Restrictions on children - Adult onlyRecommended by - Sawdays
Matfen Hall Hotel 53 rooms from £149Matfen, Northumberland
A stately mansion, wrapped in parkland, that has carefully added a spa, leisure centre and golf courses without losing its grandeur. Bedrooms are contemporary-classic or old-style grand, and there’s a choice of eating options from fine-dining to pub classic. A has-it-all country escape.Country Escape - A charming 19th-century Gothic mansion surrounded by 300 acres of parkland, with a rose-filled gardens and plenty of walking.Foodies - The Library Restaurant has been awarded 2 AA Rosettes for its robust, yet refined Northumbrian cuisine.Local markets - Check out what local produce Hexham has to offer, as well as nearby Corbridge.Great walks - With 300 acres to explore the park is full of walking and jogging trails.
The Cookie Jar 11 rooms from £160Alnwick
The former Convent of Mercy now converted to a fabulous boutique hotel in the heart of Alnwick. Rooms are individually designed and have character with contemporary furnishings and fabrics. The garden with terrace and fire-pit is a great place to relax. Excellent cuisine served in the weekend BistroGreat walks - The nearby coast has some beautiful beaches for a long walk.Sights nearby - Alwick Castle is just on the doorstep.Full of characterFishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
Walwick Hall 10 rooms from £195Hexham, Northumberland
A handsome Georgian house that practically sits on Hadrian's Wall, with a fresh, country-house style and peerless views over the countryside. Smart food plus a bijou leisure centre and spa.Sights nearby - Walk along Hadrian's Wall and visit the sights of Chesters, Housesteads and Vindolanda Roman Forts.Great walks - Great walking through the surrounding Northumberland countryside.Local markets - Visit the Hexham market.Views - Great views from hotel