Search the best hotels in Salcombe
One of Devon's southernmost resorts, Salcombe is a smart seaside town opening out onto a sheltered estuary which is a haven for sailors. Salcombe town, with its chi-chi restaurants and boutiques, rises on the steep, western side of the estuary within the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. So as well as sailors, Salcombe is a beautiful spot for walkers. There's a good selection of accommodation here and the best places to stay in Salcombe really depend on what you're looking for. From chic boutiques to luxury-stays, perfect for a romantic break or activity-packed family-friendly hotels.
As well as the beautiful hinterland, Salcombe is also right in the middle of a particularly beautiful stretch of coast, with several sandy beaches spreading out in each direction from the town. Some of the best ones are a bit of a hike by land, so visitors are afforded the added pleasure of spending a lot of time mucking about in open-topped motorboats.
Salcombe was once a great shipbuilding hub and sailing port and the coast of this part of Devon is littered with shipwrecks, including an ancient ship dating from the Bronze Age.
Devon is always popular, particularly in the summer months, so to be sure of a room in one the best places to stay in Salcombe we recommend booking early.
The Best Places to Stay in Salcombe
For sea views
- The Salcombe Harbour Hotel has a prime position right on the edge of postcard perfect Salcombe with charming views of the resort and of the estuary with all its sailing boats. There are fifty rooms, all with balconies and there are terraces and a seafood restaurant.
- The Soar Mill Cove Hotel has rooms with private outdoor hot tubs, if you book one of their Ocean View self catering units, plus generous rooms and suites. The food is delicious, with an emphasis on local produce, there are stunning sea views from private patios and the Devon Coast Path is right on the doorstep.
- South Sands is a boutique hotel with modern, family-friendly design. There's great access to Salcombe's best watersports facilities and wonderful views over the estuary.
Prefer an apartment or cottage?
- If you're travelling with family or a group of friends it may be a better option to book a villa or apartment. For a wide range of properties for all tastes and budgets we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to either Plymouth City Airport or Exeter Airport. By train travel to either Totnes or Plymouth stations which are well connected to London.
- Plymouth is a year-round destination with each season offering its own charm. However, for the best chance at warm bright days travel in the summer months from June - August.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our collection of the best places to stay in Salcombe.
Expand your search to include all our recommendations in Devon?
Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Salcombe
Best Hotels in Salcombe
Soar Mill Cove Hotel South Devon 20 rooms from £159Great walks - The Devon Coastal path is on the doorstepFamiliesRestaurant - Delicious 2 AA Rosette standard dining, with menus featuring plenty of local seafood.Private Hot Tub - Book one of the Ocean View self catering units for your own outdoor hot tub.
South Sands Salcombe, Devon 22 rooms from £195Great walks - Walk up behind the hotel and look around the National Trust's Overbeck's House and Garden a treasure trove of tropical plants.Local markets - Walk to Salcombe and check out the various art galleries and boutiques including Bibi & Mac, Quba Sails and Jack Wills.Sailing - South Sands Sailing school is right next to the hotel offering sailing, kayaking and other watersports.Fishing - The hotel can arrange deep-sea fishing trips with a little notice.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Good Hotel Guide
Paradise for watersport addicts - a comfortable haven, right on the beach. Rooms are designed in a contemporary New England style - creams and soft pastel colours. The spacious suites are perfect for families. Enjoy the sea air and great brasserie food at the beach side restaurant and terrace. See More
Salcombe Harbour Hotel South Devon 50 rooms from £295Suites - All rooms come with 'balcony baskets' with binoculars throws and books, complimentary gin and sherrySit-out Terrace - Wonderful terraces with sunloungers and glorious views of the harbour, estuary and out to sea.Restaurant - The Jetty Restaurant is both chic and family friendly with mouthwatering seafood lunch barParking - Cars are left on the hotel state of the art turntable and valet parked!
On the edge of bustling and picture postcard Salcombe this stunning newly refurbished boutique hotel has everything one could wish for. Magnificently situated, overlooking the estuary with its sailing boats, sandy beaches and a short walk into town. Wonderful terraces, spa and pool, cinema. Bliss See More