Search the best hotels in Staffordshire
Home to rolling moorlands in the south and rising peaks in the north, Staffordshire is a county rich in natural beauty. Tucked away in the west of the Midlands, the region is also home to a host of pretty provincial towns and villages that all have their own histories to relate. The perfect destination for a weekend escape, our selection of the best places to stay in Staffordshire capture the charm and character of the county.
Things not to miss:
- Lichfield Cathedral is one of Britain's most significant medieval cathedrals and remains a magnificent architectural site to this day.
- Lichfield itself is full of historical charm and well worth a day trip to visit the Samuel Johnson birthplace Museum as well the Erasmus Darwin House.
- Northern Staffordshire is home to the Peak District National Park and is a haven for hill walkers and hikers.
- Southern Staffordshire is dominated by beautiful rolling moorland and is perfect for walking. A good day trip in the region is to walk out to Mow Cap Castle.
- For family fun, it's hard to go wrong at Alton Towers.
- Historians will be fascinated by a trip to the National Memorial Arboretum near Lichfield, which is a beautiful 150 acre centre of remembrance, home to over 300 unique memorials.
Staffordshire may not be the most famous of England's counties by is certainly not one to overlook, both for it's rural and urban landscape. Our picks of the best places to stay in Staffordshire are full of personality and individualistic charm.
For a heritage stay
- As soon as you approach Netherstowe House, you know that it's something special. A grade II listed building, the half-timbered red brick embodies Lichfield's rich history. With lovely rooms and two excellent dining options, it's a great base from which to explore Staffordshire.
For an apartment or cottage
- For those looking for some additional privacy, we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- For those flying to Staffordshire, the best option is Birmingham Airport, some thirty miles south of the Staffordshire border.
- The best way to explore the region is by car, so we recommend visiting our online car hire partner Rentalcars.
- The summer months are the best time to visit Staffordshire.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of the best places to stay in Staffordshire.
- Or for some personal travel advice, contact one of our friendly gurus.
Monthly Weather in Staffordshire
Best Hotels in Staffordshire
Three Horseshoes Inn Staffordshire 26 rooms from £110Country Escape - A charming country inn located on the edge of the Peak District National Park.Birdwatching - Tittesworth Water attracts a wide range of species.Secluded setting - For escaping.Full of character
A charming rural inn ideally located for exploring the Peak District. Cosy rooms are traditional in style with soft hues, antique furniture and the best have heavy wooden four posters. The Bar & Grill serves British pub fare and boasts a lovely terrace with sweeping views. See More
Netherstowe House Lichfield, Staffordshire 9 rooms from £115Fishing - Fish for roach, perch, carp, pike and tench at Stowe Pool.Sights nearby - Visit the three-spired cathedral in Lichfield.Birdwatching - Bird watching at Chasewater Country ParkGreat walks - Enjoy a leisurely walk in Beacon ParkRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
A tree-lined drive leads to Netherstowe House, a lovely Grade II listed half-timbered building, located in the historic city of Lichfield. Bedrooms are very inviting with comfortable beds and the bathrooms come with fluffy towels and luxury toiletries. Two restaurants for formal or relaxed dining. See More
Swinfen Hall Hotel Lichfield, Staffordshire 17 rooms from £155Total relaxation - Surrounded by 100 acres of parkland, you can be sure of absolute tranquility.Great walks - Find endless walking routes with the whole estate to explore as well as the surrounding Staffordshire countryside.Sights nearby - Visit the impressive 800 year old Lichfield Cathedral.Full of character
An imposing stately home set on a 100 acre estate. Individually styled rooms are traditionally dressed with antique furniture, high ceilings, patterned wallpaper and sash windows. An award winning restaurant, atmospheric bar and elegant lounges are relaxing. A truly spoiling rural stay. See More
Duncombe Arms Ashbourne DE6 2GZ, Staffordshire 10 rooms from £161Foodies - Foodies will love the chic pub food at this hotel, which has been featured in the Michelin Guide and The Good Pub GuideLocal exploring - From scenic Peak District hikes to historic country houses, there is plenty to see local to this hotelCountry Escape - This charming village pub with rooms is an ideal base for a weekend away in the countrySights nearby - Visit the historic houses of Chatsworth House and Haddon Hall, as well as the variety of National Trust properties in the area
This cosy pub with rooms is located in the Staffordshire village of Ellastone. Stylish suites have a country feel, with floral, artisan wallpaper, cosy throws and original artworks; book a family room for extra living space. Relax by the open hearth after a country walk; a charming rural retreat. See More