- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Surrey
Most affluent of the green and pleasant Home Counties, Surrey is often spoken of as little more than a London commuter belt. But actually, 70% of Surrey is classed as green belt land, meaning these rolling acres can't be built on. So this is prime country for outdoorsy pursuits, punctuated by picture-postcard-perfect pubs. Many of the best places to stay in Surrey reflect this - there are plenty of country house hotels and coaching inns to choose from.
All our Surrey Collections:
- Best hotels for a quick country escape
- Best places to stay in Surrey
- The Most Romantic Hotels in Surrey
Richmond is only 17 minutes from London Waterloo by train and is on the London Tube network. The county's main town, Guildford, is only 33 minutes from Waterloo by train - making Surrey a convenient place for visitors to London. As well as visiting London, how about seeing some of the best of Surrey?
Surrey began sprucing up around 1900, many market towns and villages you visit have High Streets and Town Halls dating from the 20th Century.
As well as architectural heritage, Surrey has a number of notable museums. Quite a few are centred around the Georgian market town of Farnham, also famous for its shopping. The Farnham museum has a crafts collection second only to the V&A.
As for the green bits, the Surrey Hills are considered an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, meaning they are national park standard but without the tourists. Box Hill is probably one of the best-known 'green bits', very famous amongst cyclists, and the closest decent hill to London.
What Not To Miss
Here's a selection of possibilities for your Surrey 'to-do' list:
- Be sure to check out Hampton Court Palace, Henry VIII's grand, red brick palace with its famous maze. The stunning interiors are steeping in history and their informative guides will explain every detail to you, as well as answering any question you may have. A splendid day out.
- The award-winning Denbies Wine Estate, located in Dorking, is Britain's largest winery. This 265 acre spot offers tours, a gift shop, and, of course, tasting sessions!
- The Lightbox, Woking, is an arts and exhibition centre which houses a large variety of sculptures, contemporary art and works from nationally famous artists.
- Epsom Racecourse is always a great time - especially if you're here for the Derby! Get dressed up in your finery and have a flutter on your favourite if you're feeling lucky.
- Surrey also has a number of impressive stately homes, including Polesden Lacey - for the views, Loseley Park - unchanged since 1562, and Palladian charmer, Clandon Park - also home to the Surrey Infantry Museum.
The best places to stay in Surrey are as varied as the county itself, from city pads on the outskirts of London, to country house splendour amid rolling countryside.
- Almost hidden under creeping ivy, lavish 19th century mansion Pennyhill Park has become Pennyhill Park Hotel and The Spa, a luxurious country house hotel with a Michelin starred restaurant and an award-winning spa. One of the best places to stay in Surrey for those who want some serious pampering!
- Brooklands Hotel & Spa is something a little different, boasting an art-deco theme throughout and providing contemporary suites furnished in dark wood with racing-themed artefacts. Indulge in their spa before enjoying splendid meals at their AA Rosettes 1907 Restaurant.
Country House Hotels
- Woodlands Park Hotel is a converted Victorian mansion, known for being one of the first private houses in the UK to have electric lights! The lean towards the modern has continued, and while the exterior remains relatively unchanged, inside you'll find much smoother lines and more muted, modern colours.
- Nutflield Priory enjoys an elevated position and is certainly one of the best places to stay in Surrey if you want to enjoy the view. Rooms are traditional yet chic and food is 2 AA Rosette standard.
- Langshott Manor is a 16th century quintessentially English manor house, located just ten minutes away from Gatwick. Set in 3 acres of wonderful gardens and providing smart accommodation, this charming spot also boasts an award-winning restaurant
- Hurtwood Hotel boasts a wonderfully idyllic rural setting, far from the bustle of modern life. This relaxed spot offers chic accommodation featuring exposed wood beams, light hues and some rooms include four-poster beds. Plus, you can enjoy both British and Italian cuisine.
- The Bingham, situated in Richmond upon Thames, is a lovely stay. Their smart rooms feature sumptuous furnishings and stunning river views, whilst you'll love their Michelin starred British grub! Only a short tube ride away from central London.
- The Crown Inn, Surrey oozes character with exposed beams, four poster beds and roaring fires. This 14th century building also boasts a lovely AA rated restaurant in which to enjoy hearty gourmet meals.
- Bel And The Dragon, Surrey, is located in an Area of Outstanding National Beauty. Offers cosy contemporary accommodation and you can come back after a day out hiking to unwind in the bar. Tasty grub served up at the restaurant.
For An Apartment Or Cottage
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- You're best off visiting in the summer months, with July and August experiencing an average temperature of around 17°C. You might want to book ahead though as the best places to stay in Surrey get quickly booked up in summer!
- The county is extremely well served by airports - you can fly to either Gatwick or Heathrow, which are both well connected via bus and train to other parts of Surrey.
- If you're driving, then the M25, M23 and M3 all run through Surrey whilst the A3 offers a fast route directly to London.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Surrey
Bel and the Dragon, Surrey 18 rooms from $150Surrey
Good base in attractive countryside for a weekend getaway in Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Also the area where Jane Austen got inspiration for her novels. Couples will find it cosy and contemporary; larger groups and families will appreciate the spacious rooms and communal areas.Sights nearby - For those interested in art visit Churt's Sculpture ParkGreat walks - Walk the Pilgrim's Way along the Surrey HillsDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
The Crown Inn, Chiddingfold 7 rooms from $143Chiddingfold, Surrey
Sat on the edge of Chiddingfold Green this ivy clad property is a picture of English village life. Inside the 14th century building it is all exposed beams, flagstone tiles, roaring fires and four poster beds, yet with DAB radios, in room DVDs and bathroom mod-cons. The restaurant is AA rated.Great walks - The South Downs, Blackdown, Leith Hill and Winkworth Arboretum provide ample scenic walking routes.Sights nearby - Jane Austen's House Museum and the immortalised town of Loxwood are both a short drive away.Full of characterBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Hurtwood Hotel 13 rooms from $111Guildford, Surrey
Hurtwood Hotel enjoys an idyllic countryside setting outside Peaslake, far from the hustle and bustle of modern life. This newly refurbished 1920's property offers chic and boutique accommodation complete with en suite bathrooms. Lovely British and Italian cuisine served up. An intimate retreat.Local exploring - Head into Guildford and Dorking or explore the various nearby National Trust sitesShort fly break - The property is located just 12 miles from Gatwick Airport!Country Escape - Hurtwood Hotel enjoys a wonderfully serene rural locationGreat walks - Be sure to fully explore the Surrey Hills, home to some of England's most beauiful countrysideRecommended by - Sawdays
Brooklands Hotel & Spa 120 rooms from $194Weybridge, Surrey
Sleek racing-themed Weybridge hotel overlooking the historic car circuit, perfect for a weekend getaway. Art Deco themed throughout, spacious rooms and suites come decked in dark wood and feature walk-in rain showers as standard. There's fine dining in 1907 and Mercedes Benz World on the doorstep.Spa
Pennyhill Park Hotel and The Spa 123 rooms from $436Bagshot, Surrey
Creeper clad 19th century country house hotel. Michelin-starred restaurant and award winning spa just half an hour from Heathrow. Country style with lavish facilities.Spa - The fabulous spa boasts eight indoor and outdoor pools, plus canadian hot tubs, treatments and much more.TraditionalSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Tablet, Johansens, Small Luxury Hotels
Nutfield Priory 60 rooms from $194Redhill, Surrey
Country house hotel with outstanding views over the Surrey and Sussex countryside. Rooms have been stylishly designed many with individual features including original artworks and feature beds. Ideal destination for both business and leisure travellers. Popular wedding venue.Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolViews - Great views from hotelFour poster beds - For romantics.Traditional
Beaverbrook 29 rooms from $456Surrey
A stately Country House set in beautifully manicured gardens. A thorough renovation throughout keeps the original charm yet there's a lighter feel to the interiors. With endless rural pursuits on offer and a restaurant headed by an ex-Nobu chef this is a country stay like no other.Country Escape - Enjoy a slice of the (very) good life in this Grade II listed country house.Sights nearby - Visit the village of Chiddingfold regarded as one of England’s loveliest.Great walks - Take long rambles in the surrounding woods.Full of characterRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
The Bingham 15 rooms from $186Richmond, Surrey
A spectacular boutique hotel on the banks of the Thames and surrounded by Richmond Park. Beautiful Farrow & Ball painted rooms have elegant four poster beds, sumptuous furnishings, and all the mod cons. Stunning river views from the garden, terraces, and Michelin star British restaurant.Boutique - Floor to ceiling French windows, four poster beds, immaculately painted Farrow and Ball walls, chandeliers.Views - Wonderful views over the river offer peace and a sense of restfulness.Foodies - Michelin star restaurant, Modern British.City StyleRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Great Fosters 43 rooms from $208Surrey
A converted 16th-century royal hunting lodge, now luxury hotel, under an hour away from London. Housing a Michelin starred restaurant and brimming with historic charm. The perfect weekend getaway.Country Escape - Under an hour away from London this historic property offers all one could want from a rural weekend escape.Foodies - The fine dining Michelin star Tudor restaurant is worthy of a visit alone.Great walks - Join a walk around Windsor and Eton with one of Windsor’s Blue Badge Guides.Sights nearby - Visit Hampton Court Palace and take a roof tour for a bird’s eye view.
Langshott Manor 22 rooms from $181Surrey
You won't believe that this 16th century, quintessentially English manor house is but a ten minute drive from Gatwick airport. Complete with beamed ceilings, four poster beds, plush sofas and a crackling fire in winter months.There is also an award winning restaurant. Ideal for weddings and parties.Fishing - In the River MoleLocal markets - Good for local colour.Full of characterSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
The Running Horses 5 rooms from $116Surrey
Originally a 16th-century coaching inn, now gastropub with rooms, The Running Horses is situated not far from Dorking. It features five smartly decorated country-chic rooms all with Hypnos mattresses, antique furniture and wide beds. Traditional rustic British cuisine and great value too!Value chic - With doubles from just £89 per night it is excellent value for money.Sights nearby - Spend a day at Hampton Court Palace, 10 miles from The Running HorsesRomantic - Good for couples.Full of character
Hand & Spear 12 rooms from $129Weybridge
The Hand & Spear is a lovingly renovated pub in Weybridge. There are twelve individually designed rooms with feature wallpaper and plenty of splashes of colour. Tuck into quintessentially British dishes whose ingredients are sourced locally. A splendid getaway that's family friendly too!Sights nearby - Hampton Court Palace is just six miles from Hand & Spear, and Windsor Castle's also just a short distance awayGreat walks - Wander around the picturesque town of WeybridgeFull of characterRomantic - Good for couples.