Search the best hotels in Idaho
The vast and rugged state of Idaho, in the north-western United States, could claim to be one of the country's last great wildernesses. Often overlooked by people heading to Montana to the east or Washington State to the west, it still retains a frontier spirit. With huge areas of pristine wilderness, jagged mountains - it is bordered by the Rocky Mountains to the east - hundreds of lakes and miles of rivers, this is the state to have on your bucket list if you are a lover of the wild outdoors. Hiking, climbing, skiing, fishing, white-water rafting... you name it, the state has it. Some of the best places to stay in Idaho have this magnificent outdoor playground on the doorstep.
What Not To Miss
- Amongst spectacular scenery is the Sawtooth National Recreation Area with over 40 peaks - part of the Rocky Mountains - above 10,000 feet and more than 300 alpine lakes as well as hundreds of miles of hiking trails. If you prefer to take it leisurely, follow the Sawtooth Scenic Byway, a 60-mile drive following the Salmon River. The river itself is famed for fly-fishing and white-water rafting.
- The evocatively named Hells Canyon National Recreation Area is another great 'adventure' playground.
- Possibly Idaho's most famous year-round playground is Sun Valley, the country's first ski resort with the opulent Sun Valley Lodge as the place to stay. The area still attracts the rich and famous. Apart from winter skiing and snowboarding, it's good for summer hiking and mountain-biking.
- Nearby Ketchum, at the foot of Mt Baldy the state's biggest ski mountain, was originally a mining town and still has a frontier feel and authenticity. It was a favourite haunt of the writer Ernest Hemingway who died here, you can tour his favourite drinking dens.
- Idaho's other landscape attractions include the natural hot waters of Lava Hot Springs, the stunning waterfalls of Snake River Canyon, sand dunes at St Anthony and the weird volcanic outcrops at the Craters of the Moon National Monument.
It's not all the big outdoors. Idaho's state capital Boise has gentle riverside walks, the State historical museum, a contemporary art museum and a thriving Spanish Basque quarter. So, decide what you’d like to do and then check out list of the best places to stay in Idaho.
The best places to stay in Idaho
For the Great Outdoors
Opened as a ski resort in 1938, Sun Valley Lodge has been rebuilt with spacious comfortable rooms and suites. It boasts more outdoor recreational activities than any other destination resort in the U.S. Ski, hike, bike off road or on paved trails, choose 9 or 18 holes of golf, tone up in the gym and outdoor pool or luxuriate in the spa and wellness centre.
High in the mountains, set on the crystal waters of Lake Payette, Shore Lodge has its own marina and beach. Water sports rule in summer. Choose canoe, kayak, paddleboard, sailboat or motor cruiser to explore the lake. In winter it is snowshoes, skis, snowboards or snowmobiles that are the order of the day. There's golf and hiking and a spa for respite from all the activity.
For the dedicated flyfisher
- Set on a fast flowing mountain river, Henry's Fork Lodge is surely a flyfisher's dream. Expert guides will hone newbies' skills. Comfortable rustic rooms and meals prepared with fresh local ingredients welcome guests after a day's expedition. Non-fishing partner? Yellowstone National Park is less than an hour's drive away. There's kayaking, walking and cycling in the stunning scenery.
For a chic property
- The Modern is a chic converted motel located in the up-and-coming Linen District. Smart retro styled rooms feature luxury bathrooms, plush bed heads, pop colours and clean design. Sip on a martini at the stylish bar and feast on contemporary European fare in the restaurant. A fabulous city base.
For an apartment or lodge
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday - don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a diverse range of properties ideal for making the most of all the outdoor activities on offer.
- Fly to Boise Airport located 6.4km (4 miles) from Boise - Idaho's state capital. The airport caters to numerous non-stop destinations across the U.S.
- Only one city in Idaho caters to rail links - Sandpoint is on an Amtrak rail route with links to Chicago.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the dramatic beauty of the state - for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - to make the most of the great outdoors, visit in the summer from June to August.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Idaho,
- Expand your search to include our recommendations in Washington or Wyoming.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Idaho
Best Hotels in Idaho
The Roosevelt Inn Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 15 rooms from £86Local exploring - Walking distance to downtown Coeur d’Alene Lake, park, restaurants, shops and attractions as well as host of outdoor activitiesActive Holiday - Ski or snowshoe in winter or kayak, paddle-board, hike, mountain-bike, golf and ride in summer across parks and wildlife refugesRomantic Break - Rooms have been designed for romance; enjoy roaring fires, opulent beds and no TVs for a really unplugged experienceValue chic - Amazing value with wonderful amenities and perfect location for local exploring
Welcoming owner-run inn with impressive on-site amenities. Romantic rooms boast tasteful decor, think fireplaces, traditional four-posted beds and lake views. Enjoy the sauna, hot tub, in-room massages, cosy lounges and manicured gardens. Deluxe relaxing base with wonderful service. See More
Boise Hillside Suites Boise (ID) 3 rooms from £101Romantic Break - An adult only environment with just three private suites this is the perfect base for a quiet get away with your loved oneLocal exploring - Located in the North End of Boise this property is situated near all the action but in a quiet settingGreat walks - Take long walks along the trails runnning through the nearby hillside to Hollow ReserveRestrictions on children - Adult only
A charming pine-clad inn offering three spacious suites in a quiet district of Boise. Suites all come with their own perks, some have fireplaces, some a hot tub and one has a kitchen. However, the style throughout is traditional and cosy. A grown-up property (adults only) ideal for a break for two. See More
The Modern Boise 39 rooms from £119Back to Nature - Easy access to a number of national parks.City Style - Housing one of the most chic bars in town.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Tablet
A chic converted motel located in the up-and-coming Linen District. Smart retro styled rooms feature luxury bathrooms, plush bed heads, pop colours and clean design. Sip on a martini at the stylish bar and feast on contemporary European fare in the restaurant. A fabulous city base. See More
Sun Valley Lodge Sun Valley 108 rooms from £132Swimming Pool - Outdoor swimming poolRemote - Off the beaten track.Kids Club - Fully staffed.Spa
Sprawling retreat in Idaho's Sun Valley with year-round recreational activities. Rooms and cottages are spacious and warm, with earth tones, wool carpets and walk-in showers, making your stay supremely comfortable. With added Spa, gym and pool. Dine on a huge range of American and European cuisines. See More
Boise Guest House Boise 6 rooms from £140Local exploring - Located in the thick of historic Boise, the suites are ideal for exploring the citySights nearby - Wander down to State Capitol and admire the elegant architectureBoutique
A collection of suites located in the trendy Downtown and North End districts. Each suite has been meticulously designed offering scandi-chic style, fully equipped kitchens and luxury bathrooms. Bikes are waiting at your door to use and local artwork adorns the walls. A perfect home-away-from home. See More
The Grove Hotel Boise (Downtown) 202 rooms from £140Business meetings - Connected to 5,400-seat Idaho Arena and offering 14,000 sq ft of meeting space, catering & ballrooms the hotel excels in eventsCity Style - The luxury hotel of choice in central Boise which ticks every box; gorgeous rooms, delicious dining, spa, fitness & city viewsLocal exploring - The prime downtown location in the 'city of trees' means that shops, museums, nightlife, restaurants, parks & sites are nearbySpa - The impressive full-scale spa offers beauty treatments, massages, Jacuzzi, steam, sauna, fitness and personal trainers
Recently renovated, this luxury downtown hotel has a lot to offer; spoiling spa with indoor pool and hot tub, contemporary dining, sexy fireside bars, extensive meeting and event space, city views and a perfect location. Classic in layout but fresh in feel with stylish decor and trendy amenities. See More
Hotel 43 Boise (Downtown) 112 rooms from £148Local exploring - Whether in town for business or leisure the location is perfect; walk to restaurants, shops, galleries, sites and attractionsLocal markets - Head to Capital City Public Market for fresh local produce while engaging with farmers, artisans and food-suppliersSights nearby - Idaho State Capital is the city's most famous building and can be viewed from the hotel; it's a short walk awayGreat walks - Head to Julie Davis Park, a 43 acre open green space with riverside trails, Boise Zoo and Rose Gardens
Well-located city hotel offering spacious rooms, brilliant amenities and fab on-site dining; everything has been thought of for a super comfortable stay. Although classic in design, rooms feel fresh and contemporary with cosy touches and downtown views. Large suites work perfectly for long stays. See More
Shore Lodge McCall, Idaho from £179Great walks - With names like Goose Creek Falls and Hum Lake, what’s not to like about the area’s many hiking trails?Lakeside - Payette Lake is a 5,330-acre expanse of pristine, glacial water at an elevation of 5,000 feet.Views - Spectacular views onto Payette Lake and the mountains beyond.Private Hot Tub - The Lake Cottage comes with a private lakeside hot tub.
Modern take on a traditional lodge. Rugs with tree motifs, a natural color palette of browns and nudes, stone walls and exposed woods, and large windows make the lake and forest focus of every room. A range of snow sports on offer with a spa, pool and hot tub to relax afterwards. Restaurant & grill. See More
Inn at 500 Capitol Boise (ID) 111 rooms from £179Local exploring - This luxury property is located in the heart of the city, ideal for exploring the sights on footCity Style - With a Mercedes-Benz shuttle service and a butler's pantry this is an exclusive stayDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
A luxury hotel set slap-bang in the heart of Boise. Rooms and suites are designed for indulgence with spa-like bathrooms, Italian sheets and chic contemporary style. Panoramic windows supply superb city views. Dotted with regional art this is a stylish base with a distinctly local feel. See More
Teton Springs Lodge & Spa Victor, Idaho 51 rooms from £212Families - Facilities and local activities will keep kids of all ages occupied while parents can indulge in the spa or golf and tennisGolf - The property's Headwaters Club, designed by golfer Byron Nelson, offers a nine-hole, par-three courseActive Holiday - Offers unbeatable range of outdoor activities in summer and winter, both on property and in the areaBack to Nature - Rural Idaho at its best; soak up picturesque views of mountains, lush valleys and sweeping plains
Rural holiday resort & golf course spread over 780 acres in scenic Teton Valley. A traditional lodge is made-up 1 & 2-bedroom suites, while grounds house 3-5 bedroom cabins; all are self-catered. As well as pools, tennis, gym and spa, an unbelievable range of activities are on offer all year round. See More
Henry's Fork Lodge Idaho 4 rooms from £421Back to Nature - Stunning twilights, days spent on the tranquil river, wood furnishings and a forest on your doorstep.Birdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Views - Great views from hotelSecluded setting - For escaping.
Understated sophistication, high-quality service and rustic interiors come together in Idaho's prime fly fishing destination. Delicious home-cooked meals are prepared daily, and there is a library stocked with fishing books to make you feel at home. All modern amenities are provided in the rooms. See More
South Fork Lodge Swan Valley, Idaho from £1315Families - Families will love the super-private four-bedroom River House. Fully-equipped, with river-facing decks only 75 ft from the waterHideaway - A place to escape the stresses of daily life. The remote location and wholesome outdoor activities feel cleansing for the soulAll inclusive - Packages included guided fishing, all equipment, license, 3 meals a day, house drinks (beer, wine, and liquor) and all taxesFishing - Home to finest trout fishing in the country. Most guests are serious fisherman here solely for private fishing expeditions
Luxurious lodge located on dramatic bend of Idaho's Snake River. Elegantly rustic log cabin-style interiors include spacious rooms with roaring fireplaces, ethnic prints and water-facing balconies. After a day of fishing relax outdoors with delicious all-inclusive dining. Wilderness wonderland. See More