Search the best hotels in Mississippi
Fringed by the mighty Mississippi River to the west and Alabama to the east, Mississippi is a fascinating southern state with a tremendous number of stories to tell. Whether you’re eager to discover the Delta blues, to follow in the footsteps of Mark Twain, William Faulkner, Tennessee Williams and Eudora Welty, to delve into the history of the Civil War and the fight for Civil Rights or to navigate otherworldly landscapes, this is a brillinat destination to explore. Accommodation options range from heritage B&Bs to swish city hotels, fit for a whole host of tastes and budgets. Many of the best places to stay in Mississippi are in its lively cities, but we have some rural favourites too — perfect for escaping into the picturesque countryside.
Jackson, the state capital, is brilliant for both music lovers and culture buffs. The city is home to the Old State Capitol, the New State Capitol, the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum, the Museum of Mississippi History — introduced by Mississippian Morgan Freeman — and the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science. For the origins of the famed Mississippi Sound, head to the Delta. You’ll find the Delta Blues Museum in Clarksdale, the GRAMMY Museum in Cleveland (the only outpost from the original in LA), and a whole array of little live music venues for experiencing the state’s burgeoning talents. Don’t miss the birthplace of Elvis Presley in Tupelo!
Venture to Natchez for restored heritage residences and an unravelling of Mississippi’s complex history — including its Native American roots. There are dark tales to reckon with in Mississippi, expansive abandoned cotton plantations and sobering memorials to slavery, Civil Rights and injustice, best seen by following the state-wide Mississippi Freedom Trail. It's well worth taking the time to understand the impact of this history on the state's modern-day identity. For an insight into the Civil War, look no further than Vicksburg.
Finally, Biloxi’s Gulf Coast beaches and art museums are wonderfully appealing. There’s no shortage of adventuring to be done along the Mississippi River, or in places like Tishomingo State Park, including kayaking, fishing, wildlife spotting and admiring ancient Native American sites. With the best places to stay in Mississippi scattered across this striking state, this southern gem really has something for everyone.
The Best Places to Stay in Mississippi
For Great Value
- Cotton House is a stylish property in Cleveland, with swish, comfortable rooms, lovely bathrooms and a sociable vibe. Surprisingly great value for a business or leisure stay in the city. The restaurant and cooking classes are a very nice touch.
- Graduate Oxford promises a trendy base in downtown Oxford, perfect for university students, friends and families eager to stay close to the University of Mississippi. Interiors are bright and playful, there's a lively rooftop terrace and complimentary bikes make exploring a breeze. Affordable chic.
- Chancellor's House is a red-brick building in central Oxford with slick rooms and suites featuring big balconies, as well as a glossy restaurant, bar and library lounge. Excellent value for a property with an upmarket feel.
- Stanton Guest House is a carefully renovated 1892 Natchez residence with six spacious suites decorated in soothing tones. Ideal for couples looking to unwind in elegant surroundings. The concert space is great for events, including small weddings.
- Choctaw Hall is a grand B&B in downtown Natchez, just moments from the City Auditorium. A romantic pick for couples looking to make the most of the area's cultural scene, the property features four big, beautifully-appointed bedrooms. An intimate choice in a landmark building.
- Castlehill of Oxford is a grand country house modeled on period residences. Rooms and suites are spacious and inviting, with traditional touches and all the mod-cons. Mornings begin with gourmet breakfasts. A hugely popular events venue for romantic weddings, with an enormous ballroom. For couples — especially those thinking about hosting an event.
- The Burn B&B is a charming property with nine bedrooms, a fascinating history, and a reputation for top-notch breakfasts. One for couples dreaming of a swimming pool, three acres of camellia-filled gardens, and a real immersion into Natchez's past: the informative house tours are a highlight.
- Travelers Hotel began life as a simple stop-over for railroad workers in the 1920s. Recently refurbished but retaining bags of character, this quirky Clarksdale hotel is a creative hub, perfect for music lovers eager to kick back in the home of the blues. A bohemian couples' base, where life is centred around the lobby lounge and bar.
- GardenSong Guest House was built in 1836, using materials hand-crafted in Cincinnati and transported down the Mississippi River. Choose this B&B for unique architecture, heaps of history — Clark Gable stayed in one of the three bedrooms — and its famous gardens, which have been featured in magazines and books. For quiet, garden-focused couples in Natchez.
- Devereaux Shields House is a top family pick, with two-bedroom suites and a standalone cottage offering lots of space for everyone. Expect traditional interiors, big breakfasts and pretty gardens in the heart of the Natchez's historic district. Also good value.
- Linden B&B offers sumptuous accommodation in an imposing 1790 mansion, and is popular for weddings and events. Stay in the three-bedroom cottage if travelling as a family. There are seven acres of grounds for little ones to discover, and Natchez's many attractions are within walking distance.
- The Inn on Whitworth has a fresh, comtemporary feel. Set in downtown Brookhaven, this spot is within easy reach of local attractions. Larger suites have full kitchens and can be adjoined for groups or families. Breakfasts are served onsite. A great long stay choice.
For Civil War Buffs
- Duff Green Mansion is a pre-Civil War residence in Vicksburg, filled with period furnishings and heaps of history. Sleep in an antique bed, stroll through the ballroom in which Jefferson Davis and Ulysses S. Grant both danced, look out for a Confederate ghost and peer into the cave in which the family hid during the war. A heritage B&B for history buffs — also great for weddings and events. Vicksburg offers Civil War sites aplenty.
FOR BOUTIQUE OPULENCE
- Monmouth Historic Inn promises an exquisite stay for couples or families, in a national landmark property with 26 acres of gardens. Think 30 antique-filled rooms, suites and cottages, elegant shared spaces and gourmet dining at Restaurant 1818. A striking boutique pick for an indulgent Natchez holiday.
- The Fairview Inn has 18 guestrooms and suites, with traditional interiors set within an imposing, 1908-built residence in the state capital, Jackson. Expect lavish bedrooms with crackling fireplaces and whirlpool tubs. The restaurant serves up top-notch cocktails and Southern fare, whilst there's a lovely spa for unwinding, and excellent events spaces. A romantic wedding venue.
FOR A RURAL HIDEAWAY
- Clermont Bluffs B&B is a Victorian-era home on the Natchez Bluffs, overlooking the Mississippi River. Natchez's Main Street is within walking distance, yet the house has an appealingly secluded feel. Expect pretty interiors with swish modern comforts in the house and cottage. An intimate hideaway.
- Brandon Hall Plantation is an impactful B&B base for families or couples, just north-east of Natchez. The 45-acre estate is dominated by an enormous white-painted plantation house. Stay here for the calm atmosphere, the chance to delve into the property's long history, and the proximity to both the Natchez Trace Parkway and the city. Great for cyclists, nature lovers and history buffs.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Jackson Evers International Airport and Gulfport Biloxi International Airport, or to one of the state's smaller regional hubs, before travelling to your destination by car or bus.
- Mississippi is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect hot and humid summers, with temperatures of around 30°C between June and September. Travel in April - May or October - November for cooler weather and great hotel deals. Hurricanes and tornadoes are most frequent in late spring and summer.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our pick of all the best places to stay in Jackson.
- Broaden your search to include the best places to stay in the USA.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Mississippi
Best Hotels in Mississippi
Cotton House, Mississippi Cleveland, Mississippi 95 rooms from £94City Style - That rare find; affordable deluxe hotel with central location, unique sense of place, great facilities and beautiful designLocal exploring - So much on the doorstep: historic Cotton Row is home to charming boutiques, restaurants, antique shops & live music venuesValue chic - Amazing value while sacrificing nothing in terms of location, style, space and creature comfortsSights nearby - Cotton and blues are the region's pride and joy. Learn more at Dockery Farms plantation or follow Mississippi Blues Trail
Cool modern property in downtown Cleveland that manages to be both a luxury hotel and an integral part of the community. On-trend decor in stylish spaces combines light woods and sophisticated grey hues. Dine on-site at a range of top quality eateries; rooftop terrace and garden add a special touch. See More
Graduate Oxford Oxford, Mississippi 136 rooms from £95City Style - Offers insight into cool contemporary student life with flair, style and comfort while remaining inviting to those just visitingRestaurant - The Coop rooftop offers live blues, light bites and craft cocktails. Cabin 82 offers drinks and snacks with outdoor terraceValue chic - Unbelievable value for luxury accomodation with impressive amenities and facilities in the heart of townLocal exploring - Prime location in historic hub means that independent shops, restaurants and bars are walking distanceRecommended by - Tablet
On-trend boutique hotel in downtown Oxford offering stylish stay for students, alumni and travellers alike. Contemporary eclectic decor gives a strong sense of place; gorgeous open-plan living spaces invite sociable laid-back vibe, as does the happening rooftop bar and restaurant with city views. See More
Chancellor's House Oxford, Mississippi 31 rooms from £99Learning - Oxford is home to The University of Mississippi. Considered one of the most beautiful campuses in the USA, it dates from 1848Local exploring - Well-located and an extremely comfortable base from which to explore the city and visit the university campusCity Style - Oxford's most glamorous hotel by a mile; drink, dine, meet and sleep in styleValue chic - Unbelievable value for luxurious stay in the centre of town
An upmarket boutique hotel in historic Oxford. Sleek contemporary rooms spoil with Egyptian cotton linens, fluffy robes & spa-style products; suites boast epic terraces. Glossy restaurant, bar and library lounge offer excellent indoor & outdoor dining options. Charming & chic in equal measure. See More
Clermont Bluffs Bed and Breakfast Natchez 4 rooms from £104Local exploring - Lovely base for those who want to explore the area but also enjoy downtime in a quiet rural setting just away from the actionRomantic Break - Cardinal Ranch room offers a luxurious designer bathroom with epic clawfoot tub; perfect romantic hideawayBirdwatching - Property's large garden and waterside grounds offer ample opportunity for great bird sightingsSights nearby - The area is home to countless antebellum homes. Visit them alone or book a guided tour
Victorian-era home with enviable Natchez bluffs location overlooking the Mississippi River. Set over 1.5 acres yet walking distance from downtown, enjoy the wrap-around porch and leafy garden. Rooms and two cottages offer contemporary comforts while public areas ring with authentic historic charm. See More
The Inn on Whitworth Brookhaven, Mississippi 14 rooms from £105Local exploring - Well located in Brookhaven's historic downtown meaning you are just moments from a good selection of restaurants and attractionsGroups - The rooms can be adjoined making this a great options for a group of friends or familiesGreat walks - Get out for scenic walks in Homochitto National Forest or Lincoln State ParkWhirlpool Bathtub - The Executive Suite has a whirlpool tub
A historic inn located in downtown Brookhaven. Interiors have been fully renovated resulting in a fresh and contemporary feel inside. Suites are decorated with simple modern furniture and local artworks. The best have full kitchens but there is also a kitchen in the lobby for all. A convenient base. See More
Duff Green Mansion Vicksburg 8 rooms from £113Weddings - Flexible range of spaces mean the property can host weddings and events for up to 600 guestsValue chic - Very affordable yet warm and authentic; offers interesting insight into the area's pastLocal exploring - Well-located base from which to explore Vicksburgs' rich naval and military historySights nearby - Local sights include McRaven Tour Home, Vicksburg National Military Park and Vicksburg National Cemetery
Pre-Civil War mansion lovingly transformed into Vicksburg B&B. Spacious rooms with soaring ceilings come with antique furnishings & pretty views. Return from sightseeing to the outdoor pool and range of relaxing libraries, parlours & living areas. Well-suited to history lovers & cultural tourists. See More
Devereaux Shields House Natchez 6 rooms from £113Local exploring - There's much to see in the area: historic antebellum homes, Civil War historical sites and rare ancient Native Indian moundsSights nearby - Natchez is home to the nation’s largest collection of historic antebellum homesRestrictions on children - Children aged 8 years and above are welcomeRomantic - Good for couples.
Welcoming owner-run B&B situated in a Queen Anne-style main house & Victorian clapboard cottage. Rooms are decorated with antiques in a tasteful period-style. Enjoy charming and contemporary sit-out terraces and porches for outdoor relaxation. Great value and perfect for casual summer weekends away. See More
Gardensong Guest House Natchez 3 rooms from £114Garden - Resorted by previous owners, the property's formal gardens are a triumph. Expect parterres, manicured lawns & Venetian fountainTotal relaxation - Perfect for those after a little bit of sightseeing and a lot of relaxing. The gardens make this a tranquil havenFamilies - Two of the suites comfortably sleep three and four people, making this a great option for older familiesViews - Tucked away on the third floor, the super-private Vivalidi Suite offers impressive views over the historic rooftops of Natchez
Historic house tucked away on a quiet leafy street. Feel right at home with an expansive kitchen, dining & living rooms; there's also a lovely front porch & formal gardens famous in the area. Spacious musically-themed multi-room suites have been decorated in a cosy informal style. Restful residence. See More
Oak Hall Vicksburg 6 rooms from £116Local exploring - The quiet & peaceful historic neighbourhood is a great setting for exploring Vicksburg's downtown, miliary park & further afieldSights nearby - The town's main sites include National Military Park & Washington Street. Book a guided walking tour for the best experienceRestrictions on children - Children aged 7 and above are welcome (with the exception of whole house rentals where any ages are allowed)Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.
Walking distance from downtown & set over an acre of gardens, this characterful owner-run B&B is housed in a colonial revival mansion. Light & airy suites adorned with original features offer all the modern conveniences. Beautiful wood-panelled relaxation areas recreate the feeling of the past. See More
Brandon Hall Plantation Natchez 7 rooms from £116Total relaxation - Spend leisurely afternoons picnicking under 300 year-old oak trees or enjoy the view over the pond from an Adirondack chairBack to Nature - Perfect if you're looking to explore the sites of Natchez while also enjoying a leisurely holiday in tranquil surroundingsWeddings - A professional wedding venue with on-site team and bridal suite. Choose between veranda, gazebo and lawns for the ceremonyFamilies - Whitehall Cottage sleeps up to six with three bedrooms, kitchen, living room, washer/drier and porch
19th-century plantation home turned B&B on a 45-acre historic estate. Leading to a pillared wrap-around porch, rooms in the main house have 12 ft ceilings, grand fireplaces and antiques. More contemporary cottages in the wooded grounds come with kitchens, living areas and decks. Secluded serenity. See More
Castlehill of Oxford Oxford, Mississippi 7 rooms from £119Weddings - Designed with grand Southern weddings in mind with chapel, ballroom, landscaped grounds, perfect lawns and dramatic staircaseBusiness meetings - Considered one of the area's most exclusive event venues; host luncheons, meetings, rehersal dinners, conferences & partiesLocal exploring - Located just 10 mins from central Oxford, a stay offers the best of both town and countrySights nearby - Visit Rowan Oak, the grand former home of acclaimed author William Faulkner
A grand country house modeled on a historic Antebellum home. Surrounded by large grounds, the property has all the Southern trimmings; think a grand facade, pillared porch & painted shutters. Pretty rooms range from traditional to more contemporary. Offers a sophisticated set-up for weddings. See More
Stanton Guest House Natchez 6 rooms from £119Local exploring - Located in the heart of the action; perfectly located to explore the town and its historic sites on footFamilies - Hulda Stanton Suite and Varina Stanton Suite combine to great a self-contained two-bathroom unitSights nearby - Stanton Hall - Natchez’ most palatial mansion - is opposite. It's less than 10 mins walk to City Auditorium and St Mary BasilicaKayaking - Enjoy the outdoors; go canoeing at the wildlife refuge or fishing at Natchez State Park
Lovingly renovated Victorian home converted into owner-run guesthouse with courtyard, garden and concert hall. Period-inspired interiors combine antiques, draped curtains, decorative fireplaces and four-poster beds. There's a kitchen and walking-distance restaurants. Cosy with a sense of history. See More
Linden B&B Natchez 6 rooms from £125Local exploring - Located 4 minutes away from the Natchez downtown area and the Mississippi RiverRestrictions on children - Over 10s only and there is no provision for extra beds in roomsSights nearby - A 15 minute walk from the Natchez National Historical ParkGreat walks - Hikes along the Mississippi River can be organised
A pristine, Antebellum home filled with antiques. Romantic rooms & suites feature four posters and all have private balcony with views over the gardens. There's a formal dining room, library and several outdoor seating areas. A free guided tour of mansions and a full southern breakfast is included. See More
Choctaw Hall Natchez 4 rooms from £130Weddings - The place for a charming, intimate and traditional Southern wedding. Think old-school rehearsal dinners, receptions & luncheonsLocal exploring - It's a two minute walk to the historic attractions and restaurants of downtown Natchez and metres from the riverfrontSights nearby - Make sure to visit nearby Natchez City Auditorium, Stanton Hall, Rosalie Mansion and Stratton Chapel GalleryGreat walks - Walk to nearby Natchez Grand Hotel for picturesque views over the Mississippi River and Bluff Park
Grand 19th-century mansion walking distance from the banks of the Mississippi. Immaculately restored, expect a red brick facade, pillared porches, plantation shutters & antique four-posters. Spacious high-ceilinged rooms, traditional decor & welcoming hosts give the feel of an upscale private home. See More
Travelers Hotel Clarksdale, Mississippi 20 rooms from £132City Style - Will suit those after an authentic local experience; the property has evolved into a cool and contemporary community hubFamilies - The Bunk Room features a double bed and two single bunks which works well for families with kidsFull of character - The hotel was developed by downtown revitalisation nonprofit with the aim of building community through the artsSights nearby - Visit Cutrer house, believed to be the inspiration for Big Daddy’s house in A Streetcar Named Desire
1920s Clarksdale building artfully renovated into a shabby chic boutique. Boho loft-style rooms feature exposed concrete, handmade furniture, locally crafted quilts & eclectic artwork. A sociable fireside bar and lobby lounge are the heart of the property. Perfect for laid-back creative types. See More
The Burn Bed and Breakfast Natchez 9 rooms from £134Local exploring - Walking distance to Natchez's historic sites but also wonderfully secluded; a stay here really offers the best of both worldsTotal relaxation - Enjoy relaxed days lazing by the gorgeous outdoor pool or explore the property's three-acre estate gardenGroups - The Lucy Room is perfect for friends travelling together; it sleeps four and is mere steps from the poolSwimming Pool - Handsome bricklaid pool is surrounded by the lovely leafy garden. You won't be able to tear yourself away on sunny afternoons!
Idyllic 19th century mansion with rich history set in expansive gardens. Rooms and suites with authentic period furnishings and decor are spread over the main house and cottage; expect four-poster beds, Egyptian cotton sheets, impressive antiques and silk damask curtains. Homely tranquil hideaway. See More
Fairview Inn Jackson 18 rooms from £148Local exploring - The hotel is neatly positioned near downtown Jackson, making the galleries, shops and museums very accessible to guestsSpa - The Nomispa offers facials, reflexology, aromatherapy, and detoxification bathsRestaurant - The library lounge offers casual southern-inspired cuisineSights nearby - Spend a day family-fun filled day at the Jackson Zoo
An intimate boutique hotel in the heart of the Belhaven neighbourhood. Rooms are spacious and elegant with antique furnishings, bathrooms with whirlpool tubs and luxury Gilchrist & Soames bath and body amenities. The restaurant serves southern fare at the restaurant alongside cocktails. Very chic. See More
Monmouth Historic Inn Natchez 30 rooms from £214Local exploring - Natchez is the oldest city on the Mississippi River. Tour the downtown with its antique stores, restaurants & river-front gamingRomantic Break - A stay makes for a romantic evening; take drinks in the historic lounge before a delicious dinner and fireside relaxationGreat walks - There are many great walks you can do from the property, including through courtyards and past fountains in the hotel's gardenBirdwatching - It's a great spot for birding; 26 acres of woods, blooming flowers and bushes, as well as 2 ponds make good sightings likely
Frilly, fancy & fantastic 19th-century antebellum mansion. Surrounded by 26 acres of picturesque grounds, expect opulent rooms with chandeliers and pretty colour schemes. The antique canopy beds are sensational, as is the painted wallpaper & historic porch. Experience the past with modern comforts. See More