- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Nantucket
The island of Nantucket was once the thriving heart of the world’s largest whaling fleet, which ran out of Nantucket Town, the main port. These days Nantucket Town is best known for being a National Historic Landmark - yes, the whole thing. It has a greater concentration of graceful, historic, pre-1850 built houses than anywhere else in the country. Some of these beautiful properties are now also some of the best places to stay in Nantucket.
The other thing our Gurus have favoured when it comes to selecting the best places to stay in Nantucket are spectacular views, often of dramatic cliffs, sandy beaches, lighthouses and of course beautiful old houses.
Just off the coast of Cape Cod, Nantucket is a small island with a small resident community. Tourists are very welcome, especially those who appreciate the five star service and finest seafood and who can afford the exclusive delights the island has to offer. Though the rest of us are welcome too!
As well as the golf clubs, fine restaurants, sailing clubs and lodges, Nantucket also has some exceptionally unique natural assets. Around a third of the island is protected by a conservation foundation, and this third includes beaches, sand dunes, marshes and bogs, heathland, meadows and hardwood forests - despite the island’s size the landscape is hugely varied. And it’s all in pristine condition.
Considering the island’s history, whale watching seems an obvious activity, but there are also seal watching and birdwatching tours on offer. And an aquarium. Most of the most historic buildings and the main sights, like the Whaling Museum, the First Congregational Church and the Brant Point Lighthouse, which was only the second lighthouse in the U.S..
It’s an obvious statement considering the list of activities, but Nantucket is a really fantastic destination for families, with many family friendly restaurants and cafes and a great, safe atmosphere. This is also a great place to explore by bike, with good bike paths.
Being such a popular destination in the summer months, we'd advise you to plan ahead if you want to book one of the best places to stay in Nantucket - they tend to fill up quickly!
For a beach break
- The Regatta Inn is a sophisticated B&B converted from a Federal-style house. There are eight bedrooms and a lovely garden. And you’re welcome to borrow beach gear, like chairs, umbrellas and towels.
- 76 Main is another converted house - though this was a much larger one - and the hotel has 20 modern rooms decorated with bold fabrics and wallpapers. There’s a welcoming central courtyard and you’re just minutes from the beach.
- The Veranda House is an 18 room hotel converted from a townhouse dating from the 1680s - ancient by American standards. The hotel overlooks the harbour from its three storeys worth of verandas, and its surrounded by lovely gardens.
- The Seven Sea Street Inn is a quaint, colonial style cottage turned classic 15 room inn. This is a place of four-poster beds, exposed wood beams and cosy fires. Charming and homely.
For great value
- Chapman House is a bright, colourful hotel on a quiet, cobblestoned lane just minutes from the beaches and the historic harbour. There are 11 modern, maritime chic rooms and a quiet, scenic patio. Rooms start at around £90 per night.
- The Centerboard Inn is an excellent value, seven room B&B just a short walk from the seafront. Converted from a house built in 1880, this inn has spacious rooms with a nautical feel.
For fabulous sea views
- The Wauwinet is a luxury oceanside property with views both out to the Atlantic and over Nantucket Bay. Beautiful rooms are classic in style, plus there's an award winning restaurant and pampering spa.
- The White Elephant is a historic property right on Nantucket's waterfront, so the views are perfect! Come here for chic rooms and suites and larger cottages which are perfect for families and groups.
- If you're looking for somewhere romantic try Jared Coffin House, a 43 room New England red brick townhouse on an idyllic cobbled street just of Main Street. Some of the rooms have beautiful four-poster beds and ornate rugs.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Nantucket
Regatta Inn 8 rooms from £76Nantucket (Massachusetts)
A sophisticated bed and breakfast in a gorgeous Federal-style house with comfortable bedrooms and a nautical feel. Make yourself at home - borrow chairs, towels and umbrellas and wander down to the local beach. Spend evenings in the garden after visiting nearby restaurants.Value chic - Fantastic value for money with doubles starting from only $99 per night.Sailing - Nearby sailing groupsRestrictions on children - Over 10s onlySeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Centerboard Inn 7 rooms from £76Nantucket (Massachusetts)
A sophisticated bed and breakfast with a nautical feel just a short walk from the lively sea front. The house, originally constructed in 1880, has a relaxed feel - with spacious bedrooms and lofty ceilings. In the summer months, enjoy cheese and wine by the garden fire pit or on the shaded veranda.Value chic - With rooms from just $99 per night, you can't go wrongSailing - Nantucket Community SailingFishing - Capt. Tom’s ChartersSurfing - Nantucket SurfingRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Chapman House 11 rooms from £91Nantucket
Bright and colourful hotel in Nantucket, minutes from the pristine beaches and historic harbour. The intimate rooms are chic and modern, decorated with maritime furnishings and all featuring an iPad. Set on a quaint cobblestone lane, this quiet hotel also has a lovely patio on which to relax.Active Holiday - The concierge can organise sailing lessons, sea-kayaking, whale watching, and fishing, and there are great cycle routesBack to Nature - With 80 miles of pristine beaches, beautiful lighthouses, and open, natural spaces to exploreBeach LifeRestrictions on children - Children over the age of 10 are welcome at this hotelRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
76 Main 20 rooms from £122Nantucket
Intimate 1800s house on the Main Street of Nantucket with modern interiors and just minutes from the beach. The chic rooms are crisp and colourful with bold fabrics and wallpaper. The central courtyard featuring a firepit is perfect for relaxation after a day exploring the town and its activities.Active Holiday - There are plenty of activities on offer: swimming, kayaking, sailing, seal and whale watching, to name a fewBack to Nature - There are 80 miles of pristine beaches, beautiful lighthouses and open, natural spaces to exploreBeach LifeSailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Seven Sea Street Inn 15 rooms from £125Nantucket
Quaint colonial style cottage, in the quintessential New England seaside town of Nantucket. Exposed wood beams, fourposter beds, warm tones and soft sheets make for a snug and serene setting. The small island is navigable by bike or foot, excellent for exploring! A charming and homely Inn.Great walks - Take a walk through the Sanford Farm Wildlife preserve down to the ocean.Sailing - Ask at the front desk about chartering a fishing or sailing trip.Views - Great views from hotelFull of character
The Veranda House 18 rooms from £175Nantucket
Contemporary hotel, a converted 1680s townhouse overlooking the Nantucket harbour. The modern rooms are chic and feature luxurious amenities. 3 levels of wraparound porches boast spectacular views of the harbour and gardens, and there are numerous activities and nautical adventures on offer.Active Holiday - The concierge can arrange whale watching, sea-kayaking, fishing, sailing, and other aquatic adventuresBack to Nature - There are 80 miles of pristine beaches, beautiful lighthouses and open, natural spacesBeach LifeRestrictions on children - Children older than the age of 10 are welcome at this hotelRecommended by - Tablet, Mr & Mrs Smith
The Wauwinet 32 rooms from £150Nantucket (Massachusetts)
With a quiet Atlantic setting and private beach, spa and boat this is a fantastic hotel. Rooms are all country-style decor, pinewood furnishing, Egyptian cotton and modern bathtubs. Founded on the success of TOPPER's, which offers locally inspired dishes and a lively bar. Water activities galore!Local markets - Shuttle to Nantucket town is readily avaliable.Fishing - Fishing and lobstering both can be arranged.Views - Great views from hotelFull of characterRecommended by - Tablet, CN Traveller
Jared Coffin House 43 rooms from £150Nantucket (Massachusetts)
New-England red brick townhouse on an idyllic cobbled street off Main Street with a private garden. Beautiful four-poster beds and ornate rugs make up the classic style bedrooms. Restaurants, boutique shops and beaches are within walking distance. Relax in the homely library or explore the sea town.Great walks - A fantastic place to explore by foot.Romantic - Good for couples.OpulentFull of characterRecommended by - CN Traveller
The White Elephant 66 rooms from £173Nantucket (Massachusetts)
Prime harbour location offers sea views, nautical themed interiors and light, modern rooms with wooden furnishings and private balconies. Brant Point Grill offers steak, seafood and stunning views - locally renowned. Spa treatments, complimentary afternoon sherry and sailing make up a perfect day.Sights nearby - Main Street looks like a film set but is a reali life quaint town high street.Sailing - Is much of the daily routine for locals and guests are always welcome.Views - Great views from hotelFull of characterRecommended by - Tablet, CN Traveller