Search the best hotels in Nantucket
The island of Nantucket was once the thriving heart of the world’s largest whaling fleet, which ran out of Nantucket Town, the main port. These days, Nantucket Town is best known for being a National Historic Landmark - yes, the whole thing. It has a greater concentration of graceful, historic, pre-1850 built houses than anywhere else in the country. Some of these beautiful properties are now also some of the best places to stay in Nantucket.
The other thing our Gurus have favoured when it comes to selecting the best places to stay in Nantucket are spectacular views, often of dramatic cliffs, sandy beaches, lighthouses and of course beautiful old houses.
Just off the coast of Cape Cod, Nantucket is a small island with a small resident community. Tourists are very welcome, especially those who appreciate five-star service and fine seafood and who can afford the exclusive delights the island has to offer. Though the rest of us are welcome too!
As well as the golf clubs, fine restaurants, sailing clubs and lodges, Nantucket also has some exceptionally unique natural assets. Around a third of the island is protected by a conservation foundation, and this third includes beaches, sand dunes, marshes and bogs, heathland, meadows and hardwood forests - despite the island’s size the landscape is hugely varied. And it’s all in pristine condition.
It’s an obvious statement considering the list of activities, but Nantucket is a really fantastic destination for families, with many family-friendly restaurants and cafes and a great, safe atmosphere. It is also ideal for exploring by bike, with excellent marked paths.
What not to miss
- Head off whale-watching, seal-watching or bird-watching - a brilliant way to spend the day.
- The Brant Point Lighthouse is a beautifully scenic spot; be sure to remember your camera!
- If you're here with family then the kids will love spending a day with at the Maria Mitchell Association Aquarium.
- Visit the Nantucket Whaling Museum and marvel at the enormous whale skeletons housed there.
- Spend days exploring the island by bicyle on some of the many excellent cycle routes.
Being such a popular destination in the summer months, we'd advise you to plan ahead if you want to book one of the best places to stay in Nantucket - they tend to fill up quickly!
The best places to stay in Nantucket
For a beach break
- The Regatta Inn is a sophisticated B&B converted from a Federal-style house. There are eight bedrooms and a lovely garden. And you’re welcome to borrow beach gear, like chairs, umbrellas and towels.
- 76 Main is another converted house - though this was a much larger one. The hotel has 20 modern rooms decorated with bold fabrics and wallpapers, there’s a welcoming central courtyard and you’re just minutes from the beach.
- The Veranda House is an 18 room hotel converted from a townhouse dating from the 1680s - ancient by American standards. The hotel overlooks the harbour from its three storeys worth of verandas, and it is surrounded by lovely gardens.
- The Seven Sea Street Inn is a quaint, colonial style cottage turned classic 15 room inn. This is a place of four-poster beds, exposed wood beams and cosy fires. Charming and homely.
- A luxury boutique in the heart of Nantucket. The Greydon House boasts a fabulous restaurant with excellent cocktails too.
For great value
- Chapman House is a bright, colourful hotel on a quiet, cobblestoned lane just minutes from the beaches and the historic harbour. There are 11 modern, maritime chic rooms and a quiet, scenic patio. Rooms start at around $100 per night.
For fabulous sea views
- The Wauwinet is a luxury oceanside property with views both out to the Atlantic and over Nantucket Bay. Beautiful rooms are classic in style, plus there's an award-winning restaurant and pampering spa.
- The White Elephant is an historic property right on Nantucket's waterfront, so the views are perfect! Come here for chic rooms and suites and larger cottages which are perfect for families and groups.
- If you're looking for somewhere romantic try Jared Coffin House, a 43 room New England red brick townhouse on an idyllic cobbled street just of Main Street. Some of the rooms have beautiful four-poster beds and ornate rugs.
- Best time to visit is during the summer months, with the temperature rising to an average of 23°C in August. This, however, is obviously the busiest time - so if you fancy a quieter and cheaper alternative, consider coming in autumn or spring.
- Fly into Boston's Logan International Airport before either taking a flight to Nantucket's Memorial Airport or driving down to Hyannis and taking the ferry across.
- You might like the freedom afforded to you by having a car. If that's the case, check out the options available with our partner, Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Nantucket.
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay on Cape Cod.
- Check out all our Massachusetts recommendations.
- Or, feel free to contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Nantucket
Best Hotels in Nantucket
Regatta Inn Nantucket (Massachusetts) 8 rooms from £77Value chic - Fantastic value for money with doubles starting from only $99 per night.Sailing - Nearby sailing groupsRestrictions on children - Over 10s onlySeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A sophisticated bed and breakfast in a gorgeous Federal-style house with comfortable bedrooms and a nautical feel. Make yourself at home - borrow chairs, towels and umbrellas and wander down to the local beach. Spend evenings in the garden after visiting nearby restaurants. See More
Chapman House Nantucket 11 rooms from £93Active Holiday - The concierge can organise sailing lessons, sea-kayaking, whale watching, and fishing, and there are great cycle routesBack to Nature - With 80 miles of pristine beaches, beautiful lighthouses, and open, natural spaces to exploreBeach LifeRestrictions on children - Children over the age of 10 are welcome at this hotelRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Bright and colourful hotel in Nantucket, minutes from the pristine beaches and historic harbour. The intimate rooms are chic and modern, decorated with maritime furnishings and all featuring an iPad. Set on a quaint cobblestone lane, this quiet hotel also has a lovely patio on which to relax. See More
76 Main Nantucket 20 rooms from £124Active Holiday - There are plenty of activities on offer: swimming, kayaking, sailing, seal and whale watching, to name a fewBack to Nature - There are 80 miles of pristine beaches, beautiful lighthouses and open, natural spaces to exploreBeach LifeSailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Intimate 1800s house on the Main Street of Nantucket with modern interiors and just minutes from the beach. The chic rooms are crisp and colourful with bold fabrics and wallpaper. The central courtyard featuring a firepit is perfect for relaxation after a day exploring the town and its activities. See More
Seven Sea Street Inn Nantucket 15 rooms from £127Great walks - Take a walk through the Sanford Farm Wildlife preserve down to the ocean.Sailing - Ask at the front desk about chartering a fishing or sailing trip.Views - Great views from hotelFull of character
Quaint colonial style cottage, in the quintessential New England seaside town of Nantucket. Exposed wood beams, fourposter beds, warm tones and soft sheets make for a snug and serene setting. The small island is navigable by bike or foot, excellent for exploring! A charming and homely Inn. See More
21 Broad Nantucket 27 rooms from £130Local exploring - Explore this historic town, while staying in one of its oldest buildings with vibrant modern interiors reflecting the towns pastGreat walks - Wander through this historic town and soak up the sights and soundsFull of characterViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet
A playfully renovated Victorian hotel in the lively Broad Street neighbourhood of Nantucket. Vibrant interiors have been carefully put together as a nod at the town's nautical history while remaining firmly in the comforts and luxuries of the modern age. Whimsical and good natured, this is a winner! See More
The Veranda House Nantucket 18 rooms from £175Active Holiday - The concierge can arrange whale watching, sea-kayaking, fishing, sailing, and other aquatic adventuresBack to Nature - There are 80 miles of pristine beaches, beautiful lighthouses and open, natural spacesBeach LifeRestrictions on children - Children older than the age of 10 are welcome at this hotelRecommended by - Tablet, Mr & Mrs Smith
Contemporary hotel, a converted 1680s townhouse overlooking the Nantucket harbour. The modern rooms are chic and feature luxurious amenities. 3 levels of wraparound porches boast spectacular views of the harbour and gardens, and there are numerous activities and nautical adventures on offer. See More
Greydon House Nantucket 20 rooms from £147Romantic Break - A warm and welcoming retreat with elegant rooms offering sophisticated decor, beautiful views and a timeless charmFoodies - Michelin-starred chef Marcus Gleadow-Ware cooks up a storm of fresh as can be seafood and local produceGreat walks - You are just a two minute walk from the ferry docks, a lovely spot for an evening strollViews - Great views from hotel
A sea captain's home turned luxury boutique right in the centre of Nantucket. A treasure trove of antique furniture, Portuguese tiles and a variety of objet d'art that a whaler would have gathered on his travels. The excellent restaurant is the talk of the town and the cocktails are fabulous. See More
The Wauwinet Nantucket (Massachusetts) 32 rooms from £152Local markets - Shuttle to Nantucket town is readily avaliable.Fishing - Fishing and lobstering both can be arranged.Views - Great views from hotelFull of characterRecommended by - Tablet, CN Traveller
With a quiet Atlantic setting and private beach, spa and boat this is a fantastic hotel. Rooms are all country-style decor, pinewood furnishing, Egyptian cotton and modern bathtubs. Founded on the success of TOPPER's, which offers locally inspired dishes and a lively bar. Water activities galore! See More
Jared Coffin House Nantucket (Massachusetts) 43 rooms from £152Great walks - A fantastic place to explore by foot.Romantic - Good for couples.OpulentFull of characterRecommended by - CN Traveller
New-England red brick townhouse on an idyllic cobbled street off Main Street with a private garden. Beautiful four-poster beds and ornate rugs make up the classic style bedrooms. Restaurants, boutique shops and beaches are within walking distance. Relax in the homely library or explore the sea town. See More
The Roberts Collection Nantucket 58 rooms from £160Country Escape - Situated on the island of Nantucket, this hotel offers an excape from the hustle and bustle of mainland lifeRemote - Located on the island of Nantucket, 30 miles south of Cape Cod, this hotel is a remote, relaxing getawayBeach Life - Minutes from several family friendly sandy white beaches, and a short journey from other secluded spotsOutstanding location - Nantucket was named the no.1 island in the world by National Geographic!
On the beautiful and remote island of Nantucket, a collection of houses around a charming central courtyard and garden in the centre of town offer the perfect, cosy base for sightseeing and exploration. Family-friendly and minutes from the best restaurants and experiences the island has to offer. See More
The White Elephant Nantucket (Massachusetts) 66 rooms from £176Sights nearby - Main Street looks like a film set but is a reali life quaint town high street.Sailing - Is much of the daily routine for locals and guests are always welcome.Views - Great views from hotelFull of characterRecommended by - Tablet, CN Traveller
Prime harbour location offers sea views, nautical themed interiors and light, modern rooms with wooden furnishings and private balconies. Brant Point Grill offers steak, seafood and stunning views - locally renowned. Spa treatments, complimentary afternoon sherry and sailing make up a perfect day. See More