Search the best hotels in Montevideo
The eclectic and vibrant capital of Uruguay, Montevideo is the perfect place for a romantic break. A picturesque city awash with the colourful facades of colonial-era houses, it is a bustling cultural hub full of good food, fascinating museums and beautiful architecture. The accommodation choice is wide and our pick of the best places to stay in Montevideo has something for everyone from chic boutiques to budget options.
Founded in 1724, Montevideo is one of South America's safest and smallest capital cities, making it easy to see all the important sights in just a few days. With a population of roughly 1.4 million people, (half of Uruguay's population), it is an extremely fun city to explore, owing to the diversity of its districts. The Old Town teems with historic sites, but it is also the best place for a night out or shopping spree: the charming old streets are lined with boutiques, cafes and markets, while sculptures adorn street corners and street art decks the facades of houses.
A city of many faces, there is also the beachside suburb of Carrasco, the perfect place for sunbathing, while the historic downtown area - a place of energetic commerce - Art Deco and Neoclassical buildings stand side-by-side with stark skyscrapers. The Old Town is remarkably safe by South American standards, the port area is rather run-down and post-industrial. However, the historic Port Market is a must-see and the grilled steaks a must-try!
In terms of heritage, there is much to see and do. The National History Museum provides a fascinating detailing of the nation's history, while the MAPI boasts a gorgeous array of indigenous art and artefacts; as for modern art, be sure to check out the National Museum of Modern Uruguayan Art. While strolling the streets, make sure you buy a "mate", a caffeinated herbal drink popular with locals. For a day trip, consider taking the 2 hour bus ride out to Colonia, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and beautiful colonial-era town.
What not to miss
- Enjoy a spot of sunbathing at the beach in the beachside suburb of Carrasco.
- Visit the Port Market and sample some of their renowned grilled steak.
- Take a guided tour of the Teatro Solis, a historic theatre.
- Stroll aimlessly down the Rambla de Montevideo, an extremely romantic walk.
- Drink some "mate", a caffeinated herbal drink popular with locals.
- Head out to Colonia, the UNESCO-protected colonial-era town.
- Immerse yourself in indigenous art at the MAPI.
Montevideo is the perfect place for a romantic break. Browse through our collection of the best places to stay in Montevideo to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Montevideo
On a budget
- Don Boutique: located in the Old Town and just a short walk from the beach, the Don Boutique is adorned in an Art Deco style and features plush contemporary rooms. Relax at the rooftop pool or the rooftop bar! Great for young couples.
- Smart Hotel: in the heart of downtown Montevideo, offering chic and contemporary rooms, a state-of-the-art gym and an excellent gastro pub. Unfussy but a great city-stay.
- La Oliva: a clean and contemporary design, boasting spacious and modern rooms, a pampering spa and a top-notch restaurant.
- Alma Historica Boutique Hotel: a beautifully renovated 1930s townhouse boasting elegant rooms adorned with antiques, floor-to-ceiling windows and luxurious bathrooms. A truly pampering stay!
The Best Value Places to Stay in Montevideo
- Hyatt Centric’s first hotel in South America is their 178 room offering on the historic waterfront in Montevideo. There’s a boutique feel and smart rooms with plenty of luxurious trimmings, and there’s a top-notch restaurant and an indoor pool. The location is excellent too.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Carrasco International Airport, on the outskirts of Montevideo.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is between November and February, when there is the least rainfall, and when the temperature ranges between 15 and 27 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include all our properties in Punta del Este.
- Browse through the best places to stay in Uruguay.
- Or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Montevideo
Best Hotels in Montevideo
Own Montevideo Montevideo 42 rooms from £71Local exploring - A chic and central base to explore the historic port city of MontevideoGreat walks - Take a sunset stroll along La Rambla, a promenade which runs along the coastSwimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor rooftop pool with surrounding terrace and loungersDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Tablet
A chic hotel boasting an enviable location (near the coast) in the historic city of Montevideo. Nordic styled rooms have a cool contemporary feel with stylish wooden furniture and floor to ceiling windows. Breakfasts are an indulgent fare, there are bikes to rent, and a rooftop pool is a real draw. See More
Don Boutique Hotel Montevideo 21 rooms from £80Beach Life - This property is located just 5 minutes from the beach so you can easily wander over and spend your day by the seasideCity Style - Situated in Montevideo's Old Town, this is an excellent base from which to get to know the cityGreat walks - Head down to the beach and stroll along the coast or meander through the city taking in its unique atmosphereSights nearby - Wander over to Cagancha Square, Municipal Palace or Rodo's Park and see all that Montevideo has to offer
This hotel is located in Montevideo's Old Town just a short walk from the beach. It features art deco architecture and contemporary furnishings whilst it also boasts a rooftop pool! Be sure to enjoy an evening drink at sunset on the panoramic rooftop bar and enjoy the views. A top-notch city stay. See More
Smart Hotel Montevideo 65 rooms from £85City Style - Make the most of the property's downtown location to explore all over MontevideoValue chic - Excellent accommodation in a superb location at great valueLocal markets - Go visit the bustling Port Market in Ciudad Vieja and admire the eclectic range of stallsSights nearby - Head down to the Harbour, visit Independencia Square or check out Salvo's Palace
Located in the heart of downtown Montevideo and offers a variety of chic rooms and suites. Enjoy excellent meals in their Bar Americano gastro pub before setting off exploring all over the city or go workout in the gym in you fancy staying active. An unfussy but quality city stay. See More
Hyatt Centric Montevideo 178 rooms from £91Total relaxation - With a spoiling spa, exemplary service and indulgent dining this is a luxury stop on any Uruguay adventureLocal exploring - Well located within the city with many museums, galleries and restaurants within walking distanceSights nearby - Make a stop at the Monumento la Carreta a bronze and granite sculpture by Uruguayan sculptor José BelloniOn the beach - The property enjoys a stunning beachfront locationRecommended by - Tablet
Hyatt Centric's first hotel in South America offers travellers a chic, boutique-like, waterfront stay in historic Montevideo. Smart rooms have all the five-star trimmings with luxurious bathrooms and cool contemporary style. The restaurant is also top-notch and there's an indoor pool. See More
La Oliva Montevideo 30 rooms from £101Sights nearby - Go for a picnic in Rodo's Park, look around the Municipal Palace or visit Cagancha Square-all just a short walk awayGreat walks - Stroll along the beach and admire the views or meander through Montevideo's streets getting to know the cityDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Located a short walk from the beach in the Puerta Carretas district of Montevideo. Built in a contemporary design, it offers spacious and chic rooms whilst also boasting its own lovely restaurant. Go off exploring during the day before an evening spa session! A top-notch city choice. See More
Alma Historica Boutique Hotel Montevideo 15 rooms from £124Local exploring - An elegant city base well located on Plaza Zabala. Ideal for getting around town.Sights nearby - Soak in the atmosphere in the Plaza Zabala and visit the regal Palacio Taranco.Romantic - Good for couples.Traditional
A stunningly converted 1920s townhouse in the historic district of Montevideo. Elegant rooms feature polished wooden floors, antique furniture, floor to ceiling windows and luxurious bathrooms. Perfectly situated to access the city's main attractions. A charming city base. See More