The 8 Best Lake Como Hotels for an Active Break
Lake Como’s beautiful turquoise waters are just waiting to be swum in. Or sailed, rowed or kayaked across. The shores are just asking to be strolled around, and the hills and mountains rising right out of the lake are just perfect for hiking - and there’s a great range of trails and summits, enough to keep you going for weeks. So, as well as being glamourous and beautiful, Lake Como is also a great backdrop for an active holiday. And some of the 8 best Lake Como hotels for an active break are also iconic, traditional Lake Como gems.
If you’re looking for the best Lake Como hotels for an active break with your family, then consider staying in Menaggio, which is a great base for hiking, biking, water skiing, horse riding and swimming. Plus there’s an 18 hole golf course close by. Bellagio is probably the glamorous Lake Como favourite, but with its swimming, water skiing, sailing, horse riding and hiking opportunities it’s also where you’ll find some of the 8 best Lake Como hotels for an active break for couples. For the best swimming try the northern towns of Domaso and Gravedona where the beaches are uncrowded and the water is pristine.
For a traditional Hotel
- The supremely elegant Grand Hotel Tremezzo has 89 rooms right on the water’s edge, and five stars worth of beautifully understated interiors plus generous sun terraces, an excellent restaurant and spa and parklands surrounding the hotel. Plus, one of the pools actually floats on the lake!
For a romantic stay
- The Relais Villa Vittoria in Laglio is a wonderfully romantic hotel, right on the edge of the lake. As well as beautiful views, this hotel has 11 delicately sumptuous rooms, an excellent restaurant, and peaceful terraces overlooking the water. The villa’s facilities mean that this is the perfect destination for people who like to keep active and busy, but the romantic atmosphere means that it’s also ideal for a honeymoon.
- If you're looking for ultimate luxury with all the facilities you could imagine, in a truly glorious setting, the Mandarin Oriental, Lake Como is perfect. Naturally it's five stars, and its two restaurants are excellent. But it also has a wonderful floating swimming pool, and a subterranean spa hewn into the rock of the shoreline. Perfect for relaxing in after a long, adventurous day.
For a great location
- Varenna's Hotel Du Lac Varenna is a charming lakeside hotel, which has been run by the same famiily since 1959. There are 16 comfortable air-conditioned bedrooms - some with lake views and private balconies and a peaceful terrace overlooking the lake with a lovely shaded dining area. Small, but the service is fantastic and very knowledgable.
- The Filario Hotel in Lezzeno is a super stylish design hotel with an outdoor infinity pool and private beach area on Lake Como. Bedrooms are decorated in cool earth tones with modern amenities and large showers. Restaurant with terrace overlooking the lake serves traditional Italian fare.
For great value
- Lezzeno’s Nest on the Lake is a charming little lakeside B&B with five rooms and self-catering apartments. Bedrooms have four-poster beds and private terraces and there are lovely sun decks to share. They’ll also rent you a bike or a canoe. And all for under £100 per night.
Still not sure which of our Guru’s recommendations for the 8 best Lake Como hotels for an active break might be perfect for you?
- You could expand your search to include all the best places to stay on Lake Como?
- Or refine your search to just the best hotels with a view on Lake Como? or the best hotels on Lake Como for foodies?
- Or you could search by location, and focus on the best places to stay in Como? or the best places to Stay in Varenna?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
The 8 Best Lake Como Hotels for an Active Break
Relais Villa Vittoria Laglio 11 rooms from £182Weddings - Receptions and intimate marriages are regularly held here and can cater for up to 68 seated guestsTotal relaxation - Spend days lounging in the infinity pool overlooking the lake and mountains or unwind in the spaLocal exploring - Just a short paddle from the village of LaglioViews - Breathtaking views over Lake ComoRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, CN Traveller
Grand Hotel Tremezzo Tremezzo 89 rooms from £521Spa breaks - T-spa specialises in anti-stress and rebalancing treatments, all custom-designed with ESPAOutstanding location - Set right on Lake Como and commanding spectacular views, this property is hard to beatFoodies - Dine in the superb La Terrazza which serves traditional gourmet Italian fareViews - Wonderful views of Bellagio and the Grigne mountainsRecommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection
Five Star Luxury from a Grand Hotel on the water's edge of Lake Como. Elegant interiors are understated, rather than overly lavish. Glossy parquet floors, brightly coloured walls, a mixture of contemporary and Baroque furniture, spectacular views from terraces. Excellent restaurant, spa, parklands. See More
Hotel du Lac Varenna Varenna (Lake Como) 16 rooms from £174Romantic Break - Draw back the curtains in the morning for unforgettable views of Lake ComoBack to Nature - Hills, lakes and stunning countryside on your doorstepSights nearby - Spend the day exploring nearby VeronaGreat walks - Enjoy walking in the nearby hills
A charming lakeside hotel with 16 comfortable air-conditioned bedrooms - some with lake views and private balconies. The hotel has a peaceful terrace overlooking the lake with a lovely shaded dining area. A family run property and the number one spot to explore the local area. See More
Filario Hotel Lezzeno 13 rooms from £278Total relaxation - With its private beach, infinity pool with a view, delicious Italian food and super stylish rooms, there's no need to move!Foodies - Authentic Italian cuisine served either in the stylish restaurant or on the terrace overlooking the lakeSelf catering to rent - The property features a range of one to three bedroom properties - ideal for families or small groupsLakeside - Lake Como - with private beach area
A super stylish design hotel with an outdoor infinity pool and private beach area on Lake Como. Bedrooms are decorated in cool earth tones with modern amenities and large showers. Restaurant with terrace overlooking the lake serves trad Italian fare. A chic spot in an excellent lakeside location. See More
Mandarin Oriental, Lake Como Blevio 73 rooms from £607Elegant - A grand 19th century villa decorated with that signiture Asian style of the Mandarin Oriental groupFamilies - Interconnecting rooms make this a great choice for those travelling with childrenTotal relaxation - With a glorious spa and quiet location this is a place to come and truly unwindHotel boats for hire - Take a cruise across the lake on one of the property's boatsRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
Nest on the Lake Lezzeno 5 rooms from £95Hideaway - The lakeside property feels secluded and quiet, perfect to get away from it allLocal exploring - Located an easy boat ride to Varenna and other attractionsViews - Wonderful views over Lake ComoSights nearby - Some of Como's most spectacular villas are very close by