10 of the Best Hotels in the Côte d'Azur Hills
Two types head for the Côte d'Azur: those who want to be seen, and those who don't. Those who do crowd together on the coast, jangling their jewels on the Corniche and in St-Tropez, enduring nose-to-tail traffic jams as they crawl along the coast. Those who don't want to be seen head to one of our Guru’s best hotels in the Côte d'Azur hills, and love the region as much for its broom-covered hills as for its raffish, scintillating seaside; for the dry heat, clear light and scent of pine in the air; and for the heady fusion of art and landscape, wine and sunshine, ancient villages and modern sophistication that gives the Côte d'Azur its dazzling character.
Only a handful of the hotels that are set in the foothills of the Alpes Maritimes just behind the coast have made the cut to our Guru’s list of the best hotels in the Côte d'Azur hills: here they are, both contemporary and traditional, to suit all pockets.
10 of The Best Hotels in the Côte d'Azur Hills
10 of the Best Hotels Views in the Côte d'Azur Hills
- The Château Saint Martin & Spa is a large château in the hills with views to the coast, a spa and a two Michelin starred restaurant.
- Or there’s the seven room Histoires de Bastide, a charming boutique B&B surrounded by beautiful gardens and views of the Provencal hills.
The Most Romantic Hotels in the Côte d'Azur Hills
- Try La Grande Bastide, a gloriously luxurious 18th Century country house conversion with views over the valley all the way to the coast - it’s not far from the beach or Nice, but still secluded.
The Best Hotels Escapes in the Côte d'Azur Hills
- La Bastide de St-Antoine in Grasse has just eight, large rooms, and an excellent restaurant surrounded by lovely gardens and olive groves.
- Or there’s the Hotel Alain Llorca, a chic hotel in the Provencal countryside with ten elegant, antique filled rooms, a charming terrace, shady gardens and Michelin starred cuisine.
The Best Value Hotels in the Côte d'Azur Hills
- Auberge de la Madone is a family run hotel right on the edge of a cliff overlooking the Mediterranean, surrounded by olive groves and orchards. Rooms here start from €100 per night.
- Or for €150 per night you could stay at the Hotel du Clos, which is a lovely village hotel with a Michelin starred restaurant.
For A Private Party Feel
- Try the four room luxurious B&B, La Parare, a converted 17th Century farmhouse with a rustic chic, yet romantic vibe.
The Best Hotels in the Côte d'Azur Hills for Art Lovers
- La Colombe d'Or Hotel is decked with an impressive art collection - Picasso, Chagall and Miro, among others, grace the walls. The style is rustic chic and the restaurant is fabulous.
Hip Hotels in the Côte d'Azur Hills
- La Maison du Frêne in St Paul de Vence, is a four room boutique hotel in a strikingly done up 18th Century townhouse with an amazing private art collection and vibrant, airy rooms.
- Or try the Hotel Cantemerle which combines peace and buzz, just inland from Nice and the coast, with a gourmet restaurant, spa and lovely private grounds.
If you can’t find your idea of the best hotel in the Côte d'Azur hills on our Guru’s list you might want to:
- Consider some rural beauties from our list of the Best Hotels in the Provence Countryside,
- expand your search to include our Guru’s complete list of the best places to stay on the Côte d'Azur?
- Or come back to the beach and refine your list to the best Côte d'Azur beach hotels,
- or choose a popular Côte d'Azur base, and search for the best places to stay in Cannes, the best places to stay in Nice, or the best places to stay in St-Tropez?
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
10 of the Best Hotels in the Côte d'Azur Hills
La Grande Bastide Saint Paul de Vence 14 rooms from £130Views - Stunning views towards the coast and into the valleys below.Romantic Break - Beautiful bedrooms with patios straight onto the garden.Sights nearby - Fondation Maeght, Place du Grand Jardin, Vence Cathedral and Porte du Peyra.Swimming Pool - A candle lit pool in the evenings is the perfect spot for an aperitif.Recommended by - Sawdays
Château Saint-Martin & Spa Saint Paul de Vence 46 rooms from £425Honeymoons - An enchanting fariytale hotel with charming suites, private balconies with spectacular views of the sea.Foodies - There are several fantastic restaurants including the Michelin starred Saint Martin.Sights nearby - Close to the Chapelle du Rosaire de Vence, a church designed by Henri Matisse.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool within lovely gardensRecommended by - Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Fodors
Histoires de Bastide Tourrettes-sur-Loup, Cote d'Azur 7 rooms from £121Romantic BreakSwimming Pool - Large Outdoor PoolSpaLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Auberge de la Madone Peillon 17 rooms from £87Local exploring - Ideal for an active explorer, start with the proerty grounds and work your way to the town and surrounding countryside.Romantic Break - Wonderful views, delicious food and intimate rooms make this an idyllic couples hideaway.Foodies - Michelin recommended restaurnt serving locally grown produce in a traditional style.Great walks - There is wonderful hiking in the surrounding mountains and forests.
Enchanting family-run inn perched on a cliff-edge high above the Med, with fabulous views. Fantastic on site restaurant serves locally grown produce to the highest standard. Understated rooms with private balconies boast spectacular views of the orchards and olive groves. Romantic. See More
Hotel Alain Llorca Saint Paul de Vence (La Colle sur Loup) 10 rooms from £221Country Escape - Set into the hillside, yet just 7km from the Med, offers peace and tranquility with a dash of gourmetGreat walks - On the beaches west of NiceSailing - Many schools nearbySights nearby - Saint Paul de VenceRecommended by - Michelin Travel
La Parare Cote d'Azur 4 rooms from £115Romantic Break - Bathtubs built for two, gourmet dinners on the terrace, pool and the beaches of French Riveria close bySights nearby - Cannes, Antibes, Monaco, Vence, St Paul de Vence, Eze, Tourettes sur Loup, Biot, Villefranche sur Mer, St Jean Cap FerratLocal markets - In Ventimiglia, San Remo and BordigheraCooking classes - With chef Frederic GallandRecommended by - Sawdays
La Colombe d'Or Hotel Saint Paul de Vence 25 rooms from £217Writing a novel - Steeped in romantic history, the hotel was an artists haven during WWII, this is an ideal property for inspiration and escapism.Honeymoons - A whimsical hotel ideal for romance, with lovely gardens, charming suites, and an indefinable mystique.House party feel - Be prepared to meet people.Full of characterRecommended by - Fodors
A family run hotel steeped in history. Unpretentious style and service lay the set for legendary art work including Picasso and Matisse. The Provençale cuisine is worthy of a visit alone and served in a laid back atmosphere. A truly unique property. 3 night min in high season See More
Hotel du Clos Le Rouret, Cote d'Azur 11 rooms from £130Restaurant - Michelin recommended restaurant and a bistro for something more relaxed.Foodies - Restaurant is run by Michelin starred chef Daniel EttlingerGourmetSights nearby - Close to Grasse, the famous perfume capital, plus all the attractions of the Cote d'AzurRecommended by - I Escape, Michelin Travel
La Maison du Frêne Saint Paul de Vence 4 rooms from £148Artworks - Fabulous modern art by Hockney, Arman, Gilbert and George, pop-art, as well as pastiches of Picasso and Lichtenstein.Local exploring - Perfect for following in the footsteps of the great artists who spent time here and nearby.Romantic Break - These opulent and lavish suites set the tone for romance.Local markets - The nearby towns of Biot, Tourette-sur-Loup, Valbonne as well as Vence itself hold local produce markets every week.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
La Bastide de St-Antoine Grasse 18 rooms from £208Country Escape - Surrounded by beautiful gardens, olive groves and hectares of rolling farmland this elegant hotel is the perfect country escape.Foodies - The on site restaurant is renowned for its gourmet cuisine and wonderful ambience. Cooking classes are also available.Restaurant - Recommended.Great walks - Explore the surrounding gardens, olive groves and farmland, this area is famed for its natural beauty.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
Eighteenth century country house in Grasse, surrounded by lovely gardens and olive groves. The romantic rooms are a triumph: simple, stylish and effortlessly elegant. The on site restaurant is famed in the area for its astute use of local flavours. Grown up, charming and wonderfully French! See More
Hotel Cantemerle Saint Paul de Vence (Vence) 26 rooms from £121Hideaway - A chic yet peaceful hotel set between the mountains and the sea, with fragrant gardens and lovely pool.Spa breaks - A lovely spa featuring an indoor heated pool, Hammam, Massage room, solarium and an outdoor pool.Swimming Pool - Indoor and Outdoor PoolsViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Attractive hotel and restaurant set in acres of private grounds 15km inland from the coast in charming Vence. Stylish rooms in a cluster of artfully old-fashioned ochre-roofed buildings. Gourmet restaurant, bar, swimming pool and spa. A lovely place to relax and while away a few days. See More