19 of the Best Hotels in the Côte d'Azur Hills
Two types head for the Côte d'Azur: those who want to be seen, and those who don't. Those who do crowd together on the coast, jangling their jewels on the Corniche and in St-Tropez. Those who don't want to be seen, head to the hills where there are a wide selection of beautiful secluded hotels, mostly converted manor houses, offering guests a tranquil hideaway. Our hotel experts have scoured the area to bring you a collection of the best hotels in the Côte d'Azur hills selected on their location, amenities, design, and service. Whether you want a small property you can rent in its entirety, a hotel with a standout restaurant, or a romantic hideaway — there is something to suit most occasions. So why not browse through our collection to start planning your next getaway?
For the views
- L'Escale du Ciel is a luxury B&B with a fabulous location boasting epic mountainous Provençal panoramas and housing just four immaculately styled rooms that mix modern comforts with traditional charm. With a large swimming pool, a terrace to play Petanque, and stunning walks — this is a Provençal dream.
- The Château Saint Martin & Spa is a large château in the hills with spectacular views of the coast. Complete with a spoiling spa and a two-starred Michelin restaurant — this is a very indulgent choice.
- Villa Menuse is a charming hilltop guesthouse offering stunning rural views best enjoyed from the infinity pool. Elegant interiors are fitting of the glamour of the French Riviera mixing contemporary and traditional styles perfectly. A tranquil spot.
- Or there’s the seven-room Histoires de Bastide, a charming boutique B&B surrounded by beautiful gardens and wonderful views of the Provencal hills. A laidback choice.
- Try La Grande Bastide, a gloriously luxurious 18th-century country house conversion with views over the valley all the way to the coast — it’s not far from the beach or Nice, but still secluded. Ideal for a hideaway for two.
For the restaurant
- La Bastide de St-Antoine in Grasse is an 18th-century country house surrounded by lovely gardens and olive groves. The romantic rooms are a triumph: simple, stylish and effortlessly elegant. The on-site restaurant is famed in the area for its astute use of local flavours. Grown-up and charming.
- Or there’s the Hotel Alain Llorca, a chic hotel in the Provencal countryside with ten elegant, antique-filled rooms, a charming terrace, shady gardens and Michelin starred cuisine.
- Auberge du Vieux Chateau is an excellent restaurant with rooms in a quaint village just outside Grasse. Four simple, traditionally styled rooms offer superb value for money in this pricey region. Come here for the delicious Mediterranean cuisine and the stunning views over Mougins towards the coast.
- For luxury, choose Le Mas Candille. This is an elegant villa in Mougins with spacious rooms and an enormous outdoor pool. With a restaurant boasting a Michelin star, this is a good choice for foodie couples.
- Otherwise, Mougins Luxury Retreats is well located for accessing several nearby Michelin-starred restaurants giving guests a choice of where to eat each evening. Set above the Bay of Cannes in the heart of Mougins, the property offers suites, apartments and villas decorated in a modern style. A stylish choice, well suited to families or groups.
For great value
- Auberge de la Madone is a family-run hotel right on the edge of a cliff overlooking the Mediterranean, surrounded by olive groves and orchards and with a fabulous, well-priced restaurant. Traditional rooms here start from €100 per night.
- Or for €150 per-night you could stay at the Hotel du Clos, which is a lovely village hotel with a Michelin starred restaurant. An authentic choice perfect for foodies.
- La Bergerie Saint Antoine is a very reasonably priced B&B set just outside Grasse. Expect simple spacious rooms, a gorgeous heated outdoor pool, and a terrace with wonderful views. A charming hideaway suited to groups, couples, or families.
- La Bergerie Cote d'Azur is a peaceful little villa surrounded by charming gardens and a leafy pool area. Rooms are fresh and have a distinctly feminine aesthetic. A lovely Riviera pied-a-terre ideal for a tranquil escape that won't break the bank.
For a group
- Try the luxurious four-room B&B, La Parare. The converted 17th-century farmhouse has a rustic-chic yet romantic vibe. A great choice to rent out in its entirety.
- Alternatively, Le Manoir de L'Etang is a hilltop manor house with gorgeous views on the outskirts of Mougins (15 minutes from Cannes). Pick this place for its tasteful and authentic interiors and the beautiful surrounding countryside that's great for walks. Ideal for groups.
For art lovers
- La Colombe d'Or Hotel is decked with an impressive art collection — Picasso, Chagall and Miro, among others, grace the walls. The style is rustic chic and the restaurant is fabulous.
For a hip stay
- La Maison du Frêne in St Paul de Vence, is a four-room boutique hotel in a strikingly done up 18th Century townhouse with an amazing private art collection and vibrant, airy rooms.
- Toile Blanche is a serene boutique hotel. Affordable, modern rooms offer lots of natural light, some with balconies, and splashes of modern art. Expect stunning views from the garden terrace, creative French cuisine, all just a short drive from Cannes and Nice. A chic choice.
Or try the Hotel Cantemerle which combines peace and buzz, just inland from Nice and the coast, with a gourmet restaurant, spa and lovely private grounds.
Still not sure where to book?
- Consider some rural beauties from our list of the Best Hotels in the Provence Countryside.
- Expand your search to include our Guru’s complete list of the best places to stay on the Côte d'Azur.
- Try a different landscape and look at the best Côte d'Azur beach hotels.
- Choose a popular Côte d'Azur base and search for the best places to stay in Cannes, the best places to stay in Nice, or the best places to stay in St-Tropez.
- Alternatively, contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
La Grande Bastide Saint-Paul-de-Vence 14 rooms from £130Views - Stunning views towards the coast and into the valleys below.Romantic Break - Beautiful bedrooms with patios straight onto the garden.Sights nearby - Fondation Maeght, Place du Grand Jardin, Vence Cathedral and Porte du Peyra.Swimming Pool - A candle lit pool in the evenings is the perfect spot for an aperitif.Recommended by - Sawdays
Château Saint-Martin & Spa Saint-Paul-de-Vence 46 rooms from £425Honeymoons - An enchanting fariytale hotel with charming suites, private balconies with spectacular views of the sea.Foodies - There are several fantastic restaurants including the Michelin starred Saint Martin.Tennis - Enjoy a game of tennis on the hotel courts, the perfect way to pass the morning.Sights nearby - Close to the Chapelle du Rosaire de Vence, a church designed by Henri Matisse.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Fodors
Histoires de Bastide Tourrettes-sur-Loup, Côte d'Azur 7 rooms from £121Romantic BreakSwimming Pool - Large Outdoor PoolSpaLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Auberge de la Madone Peillon 17 rooms from £87Local exploring - Ideal for an active explorer, start with the proerty grounds and work your way to the town and surrounding countryside.Romantic Break - Wonderful views, delicious food and intimate rooms make this an idyllic couples hideaway.Foodies - Michelin recommended restaurnt serving locally grown produce in a traditional style.Great walks - There is wonderful hiking in the surrounding mountains and forests.
Enchanting family-run inn perched on a cliff-edge high above the Med, with fabulous views. Fantastic on site restaurant serves locally grown produce to the highest standard. Simple rooms with private balconies boast spectacular views of the orchards and olive groves. Romantic. See More
Hotel Alain Llorca Saint-Paul-de-Vence (La Colle sur Loup) 10 rooms from £221Country Escape - Set into the hillside, yet just 7km from the Med, offers peace and tranquility with a dash of gourmetGreat walks - On the beaches west of NiceSailing - Many schools nearbySights nearby - Saint Paul de VenceRecommended by - Michelin Travel
La Parare Côte d'Azur 4 rooms from £115Romantic Break - Bathtubs built for two, gourmet dinners on the terrace, pool and the beaches of French Riveria close bySights nearby - Cannes, Antibes, Monaco, Vence, St Paul de Vence, Eze, Tourettes sur Loup, Biot, Villefranche sur Mer, St Jean Cap FerratLocal markets - In Ventimiglia, San Remo and BordigheraCooking classes - With chef Frederic GallandRecommended by - Sawdays
La Colombe d'Or Hotel Saint-Paul-de-Vence 25 rooms from £217Writing a novel - Steeped in romantic history, the hotel was an artists haven during WWII, this is an ideal property for inspiration and escapism.Honeymoons - A whimsical hotel ideal for romance, with lovely gardens, charming suites, and an indefinable mystique.Full of characterHouse party feel - Be prepared to meet people.Recommended by - Fodors
A family run hotel steeped in history. Unpretentious style and service lay the set for legendary art work including Picasso and Matisse. The Provençale cuisine is worthy of a visit alone and served in a laid back atmosphere. A truly unique property. 3 night min in high season See More
Hotel du Clos Le Rouret, Côte d'Azur 11 rooms from £130Restaurant - Michelin recommended restaurant and a bistro for something more relaxed.Foodies - Restaurant is run by Michelin starred chef Daniel EttlingerGourmetSights nearby - Close to Grasse, the famous perfume capital, plus all the attractions of the Cote d'AzurRecommended by - I Escape, Michelin Travel
La Maison du Frêne Saint-Paul-de-Vence 4 rooms from £148Artworks - Fabulous modern art by Hockney, Arman, Gilbert and George, pop-art, as well as pastiches of Picasso and Lichtenstein.Local exploring - Perfect for following in the footsteps of the great artists who spent time here and nearby.Romantic Break - These opulent and lavish suites set the tone for romance.Local markets - The nearby towns of Biot, Tourette-sur-Loup, Valbonne as well as Vence itself hold local produce markets every week.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
La Bastide de St-Antoine Grasse 18 rooms from £208Country Escape - Surrounded by beautiful gardens, olive groves and hectares of rolling farmland this elegant hotel is the perfect country escape.Foodies - The on site restaurant is renowned for its gourmet cuisine and wonderful ambience. Cooking classes are also available.Restaurant - Recommended.Great walks - Explore the surrounding gardens, olive groves and farmland, this area is famed for its natural beauty.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
Eighteenth century country house in Grasse, surrounded by lovely gardens and olive groves. The romantic rooms are a triumph: simple, stylish and effortlessly elegant. The on site restaurant is famed in the area for its astute use of local flavours. Grown up, charming and wonderfully French! See More
Hotel Cantemerle Saint-Paul-de-Vence (Vence) 26 rooms from £121Hideaway - A chic yet peaceful hotel set between the mountains and the sea, with fragrant gardens and lovely pool.Spa breaks - A lovely spa featuring an indoor heated pool, Hammam, Massage room, solarium and an outdoor pool.Tennis - The Vence tennis club is just a few kms from the hotel.Swimming Pool - Indoor and Outdoor PoolsRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Attractive hotel and restaurant set in acres of private grounds 15km inland from the coast in charming Vence. Stylish rooms in a cluster of artfully old-fashioned ochre-roofed buildings. Gourmet restaurant, bar, swimming pool and spa. A lovely place to relax and while away a few days. See More
Villa Menuse France 5 rooms from £139Local exploring - Explore the local villages or venture slightly further to the glamour of Cannes and NiceTotal relaxation - The guesthouse offers an idyllic break in the peace and calm of natureBack to Nature - Explore the gentle rolling hills that surround the villaGreat walks - Wonder through the rolling hills and medieval villages in the surrounding area
A charming hilltop guesthouse offers stunning rural views best enjoyed from the infinity pool. Elegant interiors are fitting of the glamour of the French Riviera mixing contemporary and traditional styles perfectly. A tranquil spot ideal for simply unwinding or using as a base to explore the region. See More
Mougins Luxury Retreats 06250 Mougins 11 rooms from £217Foodies - There are many Michelin-star restaurants in this tiny, picturesque village.Beach Life - Within easy reach of the beaches at Cannes, Antibes and Juan les PinsSwimming Pool - Outdoor swimming pool.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Stunning hotel standing above the Bay of Cannes in the heart of Mougins, offering suites, apartments and villas decorated in a light, modern style with artworks and sprinklings of rustic furnishings. There is a cafe, outdoor pool, spa and Michelin-star restaurants within walking distance. See More
Auberge du Vieux Chateau Grasse 4 rooms from £77Local exploring - A well located property for those wanting to explore both the coast and hinterland of the Cote d'AzurViews - Stunning panoramic views across the valley towards Mougins and the Med beyohd.Less £ - Double rooms start from as little as €75 per night.Restaurant - The auberge's excellent restaurant serves excellent Mediterranean cuisine
An excellent restaurant with rooms in a quaint village just outside Grasse. Four simple, traditionally styled rooms offer superb value for money in this pricey region. Come here for the delicious Mediterranean cuisine and the stunning views over Mougins towards the coast. See More
L'Escale du Ciel Le Bar-sur-Loup 4 rooms from £159Local exploring - Well placed to explore Provencal with the beach and quaint villages being as easy to reach as secluded countryside.Great walks - Take walks along the stunning Gorges du Loup and stop for wild swims in natural pools and waterfalls.Sights nearby - Discover Matisse's favourite walled medieval town, St Paul de Vence.Restrictions on children - Over 12s are welcomeRecommended by - I Escape,
A luxury B&B boasting a fabulous location boasting epic mountainous Provençal panoramas. Housing just four immaculately styled rooms which mix modern comforts with traditional charm. With a large swimming pool, a terrace to play Petanque and stunning walks this is a Provençal dream. See More
Le Mas Candille 06250 Mougins 45 rooms from £201Country Escape - This idyllic spot nestled among gardens is great for country relaxation, with the glitz of the French Riviera in easy reachFoodies - The food at the Michelin starred Le Mas Candille restaurant is simply stunning!Swimming Pool - The property has three pools dotted around the grounds including a hydrotherapy pool and an infinity poolLocal markets - Visit Cannes' Forville Market from where the chef sources many of his ingredients.
A luxury hotel in a lush estate set in pretty gardens with a great pool and sunbathing terrace. Expect high-quality gourmet cuisine, and impressive marble-clad interiors have a classic elegance with modern twists. Large rooms are bright with high-end fittings, tasteful artwork and classy furniture. See More
La Bergerie Saint Antoine Grasse (Cote d'Azur) 2 rooms from £86Value chic - With rooms at €99 per night including breakfast, it's hard to beat for value in this region.Local exploring - Well located for exploring both inland villages and enjoying time on the beach.Sights nearby - The bergerie is only 6 miles from Grasse and 15 miles from Cannes.Local markets - Visit the markets in the surrounding hill top villages and towns.
La Bergerie Cote d'Azur Saint-Paul-de-Vence (Résidence La Bergerie) 4 rooms from £108Back to Nature - On a prime hillside location between sea and mountains, a lovely serene base from which to explore the popular Riviera hauntsSights nearby - Celebrated towns such as Cannes and Nice are within easy distance, with famous sights and museums galoreLocal markets - Wander around local markets in the nearby villages and towns and gather ingredients for beach picnicsMinimum Stay - If you only book one night there is a €30 surcharge on the room rateRecommended by -
Le Manoir de L'Etang Mougins 24 rooms from £108Sights nearby - Visit the disarming Massif de l'Esterel, eleven miles from the hotel.Great walks - Beautiful walking routes in the surrounding countryside.Views - Great views from hotelTraditional
Toile Blanche Saint-Paul-de-Vence 16 rooms from £272Romantic Break - The suites offer a luxurious haven with chic interiors and outdoor spaces. Book one with a private pool for a real treat!Foodies - The creative restaurant serves fabulous but simple Mediterranean cuisine, with many ingredients grown on siteLocal exploring - St Paul de Vence is ideally placed for explorations both of the coast and hills behindRestaurant - La Guingette offers delicious sharing plates at lunch time, and dinner is at Le Restaurant with its Mediterranean cuisineRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A serene boutique hotel in the Côte d'Azur. Chic, indulgent rooms with lots of natural light, private outdoor space, and soothing dusky pink palettes. Stunning views from the garden terrace, creative French cuisine, and a short drive from Cannes and Nice. The perfect romantic spot. See More