The Best Château Hotels in Normandy
Normandy is a pretty coastal region with a rich historic past. It boasts some of France's most famed sights including the Bayeaux Tapestry, the D-Day landing beaches, and the iconic island monastery, Mont St-Michel. There are also dramatic coastlines, pleasant rolling hills and a distinct (and delicious) cuisine to be explored. For that classical French stay, it doesn't get much better than booking a room in one of the region's châteaux. Whether you want grand and traditional or something a little more chic and contemporary, there is plenty to choose from. Our hotel experts have compiled a collection of the best Château hotels in Normandy with something for everyone whether you are on a romantic escape or a family break. So why not browse through our collection to start planning your trip?
For a traditional château
- Château de Canisy is a grand building set on a 700-acre estate. It’s been beautifully preserved, both inside and out, and there are numerous reception rooms filled with elegant antiques, and featuring roaring fires. Rooms and suites are just as beautiful and historic; beds are hung with heavy drapes and the walls are adorned with traditional French patterned wallpaper and oil paintings. A fairytale stay.
- Built for the Marquis d’Ourville in 1765, the Château de Pont Rilly has that classic château grandeur. Steeped in history, this charming property has just four rooms, all with beautiful marble fireplaces and parquet flooring, topped off with period-appropriate antiques. There are also three self-catering cottages in the grounds, which sleep four, six and eight.
- The Château de Beneauville is a Renaissance château set in 50 acres of beautiful gardens and parkland. Interiors are brimming with elegant antiques, tapestries, oil paintings, traditional wallpapers, carved wood and stone fireplaces with open fires, and some notable French design and patterns. The location, between Caen and the coast, is perfect for both explorers and those seeking an active break. But it’s just as much a romantic hideaway.
- The Château de la Pommeraye is an elegant stately home in a beautiful rural location. It has just five rooms, all of them sumptuous and traditional, with beautiful antiques, huge beds and wonderful views. For many, this will match your idea of the "perfect château", from the Louis XVI furniture to the Italianate stairwells. You can also book the whole property for private use, and arrange meals as needed.
- Also benefitting from a tranquil spot, Château la Ferriere is a stunning 18th-century pile just outside Bayeux, with just five traditionally dressed rooms and suites. If you want parquet and toile du jouy, chandeliers and drapes, antiques and busts, then you should be extremely happy here; ditto if you’re looking for an intimate and luxurious base, which really feels like a château.
For a rural hideaway
- The Château de Chantore is a stunning red-brick château just back from the coast by Mont Saint Michel, hidden amongst rolling parkland so that it feels a million miles from anywhere. There are just five rooms, all of them resplendent with patterned or embroidered fabrics and period wallpapers. This is traditional maximalism at its best in an idyllic rural location.
- Elegant and romantic, it’s the Château Hotel de Belmesnil’s position, in a tranquil, secluded spot outside Rouen, that is the real lure. From the outside, it looks every inch the perfect château while on the inside, it has been beautifully refurbished to the standards of modern luxury, in warm, natural colours. There are ten rooms, and public spaces where you can play table football, or table tennis, French boules or badminton.
- Very close to the Parc Natural Regional Normandie-Maine, the Château de Sarceaux is an idyllic countryside escape. Originally built as a hunting lodge, then converted into more of a doll’s house style château in the 18th-century, this is a historic property with four individually styled rooms, each with its own fireplace and rustic wood floors, and one suite, similarly, but more grandly decorated.
- The Château de Bouceel is another picture-perfect property. Built in the 18th-century, this five bedroom property has a wonderful collection of antiques, including Louis XVI-style panelling and lovely parquet floors. Some of the bedrooms are quite grand. The garden is large, and there’s a pool too.
- Chateau de Blavou is a picture-perfect castle set in the picturesque Normandy-Perche regional country park. Interiors are suitably grand and filled with antiques. Enormous rooms boast four-poster beds and equally large (and indulgent) bathrooms. With numerous activities on its doorstep, this is the perfect rural escape.
For a romantic escape
- Classically beautiful, with the kind of huge elegant windows and ornate iron and stonework that châteaux are known for, the Château d'Audrieu was built in a beautiful spot in the 18th-century. These days there’s a pool and tennis courts too. Inside, the 29 rooms vary in opulence but all have original features and antiques. The restaurant is gourmet, and you’re not far from the coast. A perfect escape for two.
- The Château la Cheneviere offers all the romance and luxury of a traditional French château but having undergone a full renovation interiors now feature modern luxuries with all the mod cons including a cocktail bar, heated pool and tennis courts. The restaurant serves classical French cuisine and is ideal for a romantic dinner.
- Romantic and family-friendly, the Château de saint Paterne is a 15th-century château with charming hosts in an idyllic spot outside Alencon. There are nine rooms and two suites — one of which is in a treehouse in the woods (which kids will love). With early supper time for children and endless activities including swimming, tennis, badminton, croquet or table tennis, plus fantastic table d’hote dinners, this is a real crowd pleaser.
- Chateau Saint Gilles is an 18th-century château located close to Bayeux. Inside, guestrooms and apartments are bright and contemporary, while tall windows and heritage fireplaces attest to the property's heritage. Spacious family suites are ideal for those travelling with young kids. A well priced option close to some of Normandy's most famed sights.
For a B&B
- The Château de Bonnemare is in a beautiful and remote spot. The property's sprawling grounds house a chapel, farm and cider press. Inside the decor is no less than regal in some of the rooms, others are simpler, though, and very good value. A charming hideaway.
- The Château de Saint Maclou La Compagne is just outside Honfleur, though you wouldn’t know it from the views out of the château’s huge windows! There are just four bedrooms, all of them spacious with enormous fireplaces. Downstairs there are multiple living areas and salons decorated with antiques and works of art. A classic stay.
For great value
- Elegant yet unfussy, the Château Les Cedres lies close to Caen and looks like a fine manor on the outside but feels more like a grand family home on the inside. If this is more to your taste then you might also appreciate that there are just three rooms here and they’re all simply and freshly styled with white walls that make the most of the elegant original doors, floors and fireplaces.
Still not sure which to book?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Normandy.
- Or refine your search to just the best places to stay in Bayeux, the best places to stay in Barneville-Carteret, in Honfleur or Giverny.
- Alternatively, you could consider our Guru’s recommendations for 20 of the Best B&Bs in Normandy.
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Château de Sarceaux Alencon (61250 Alençon-Valframbert) 4 rooms from £117Sights nearby - Le Mont St Michel and D-Day landing beaches as well as the pretty town of AlenconViews - Rooms have views overlooking the park or pondTraditional - Traditional fireplaces and wooden floorsBack to Nature
Once an ancient hunting lodge and then an 18th century castle, this Château is filled with character. Offering comfortable and individually styled bedrooms with en suite bathrooms, each room has its own fireplace and rustic wooden floors. Enjoy beatiful views over the surrounding park and pond. See More
Chateau Hotel de Belmesnil Rouen (St. Denis le Thiboult) 10 rooms from £135Country Escape - A relaxing stay in a tranquil spot surrounded by pretty Normandy countryside.Great walks - Discover miles of walking trails through the picturesque countryside.TraditionalFull of character
Chateau de Chantore Avranches 5 rooms from £148Romantic Break - A secluded and intimate spot, ideal for a romantic break in Lower Normandy and Mont Saint Michel.Sights nearby - Seven miles from the stunning Mont Saint Michel Abbey.Full of characterSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Sawdays
Chateau de Blavou Mortagne-au-Perche, Normandy 7 rooms from £135Families - Full suites and private gites are available for the whole familly to stay togetherCountry Escape - A beautiful castle set in the stunning Normandy-Perche regional country parkRestaurant - Table d'Hotes dinners are available from the owner who was a professional chef.Sights nearby - Visit Le Pin stud built by Louis XIV in the style of Versailles
A picture-perfect castle set in the picturesque Normandy-Perche regional country park. Interiors are suitably grand filled with antiques. Enormous rooms boast four-poster beds and equally large (and indulgent) bathrooms. With numerous activities on its doorstep, this is the perfect rural escape. See More
Chateau de la Pommeraye La Pommeraye, Normandy 5 rooms from £169Sights nearby - Discover the Bayeux tapestry and the Normandy landing beaches.Great walks - From the doorBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Sawdays, I Escape
Château Saint Gilles Bayeux (Guéron) 9 rooms from £124Hideaway - Nestled outside Bayeux in the sleepy commune of Guéron, this hotel makes a perfect choice for an elegant hideaway holidayCountry Escape - Set in a classic château in Bayeux surrounded by beautiful countryside, book this hotel for a chic rural retreatFamilies - The spacious family suites available and expansive gardens make this ideal for those travelling with childrenSights nearby - Visit the Notre-Dame Cathedral in Bayeux, a wonderful example of Norman architecture commissioned by William the Conqueror
This charming hotel is nestled in a converted, 18th-century château close to Bayeux in Normandy. Inside, guestrooms and apartments are bright and contemporary, while tall windows and heritage fireplaces attest to the property's heritage - a chic and comfortable place to rest after local sightseeing. See More
Chateau de Canisy Saint Lo 17 rooms from £340Country Escape - Set on seven-hundred rolling acres of Norman countryside, the ultimate high-end rural escape.Sights nearby - The famed sights of Mont Saint Michel and the Bayeux Tapestry are within easy reach.Great walks - Find no shortages of walks through the varied landscapes of the estate.Fishing - Spend a tranquil afternoon fishing on the property's pond.Recommended by - Tablet
A fairy-tale like chateau set on a 700 acre estate. Beautifully kept throughout, the property offers numerous reception rooms filled with antiques and boasting roaring fires. Elegant rooms are individually styled with rich hues, patterned wallpaper and heavily draped bed heads. A luxurious stay. See More
Chateau de la Ferriere Bayeux 5 rooms from £191Local exploring - Ideally located in Normandy between Bayeux, Caen and the Landing Beaches.Sights nearby - Admire the striking architecture of the Abbey of Saint-Étienne in Caen.Secluded setting - For escaping.Full of character
A stunning 18th century chateau boasting a scenic and tranquil location just outside Bayeux. A handful of elegant rooms are traditional yet unfussy with a choice selection of antiques, floor to ceiling windows and indulgent bathrooms. A delightful base from which to explore the region. See More
Chateau de Pont Rilly Normandy 4 rooms from £130Traditional - The chateau was designed in 1765, by the architect Pierre-Raphaël de Lozon for the Marquis dʼOurville.Birdwatching - Visits to the Maison du Parc naturel régional des Marais du Cotentin et du BessinSights nearby - Visits to the Normandy landing beaches and the coastal city of CherbourgLocal markets - Market day in Valognes
Chateau de Beneauville Cabourg 5 rooms from £165Country Escape - A quintessentially french country escape with chic interiors, indulgent breakfast and fantastic walks.Local markets - Sample regional produce at one of the local farmers markets that run throughout the week.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolFull of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
A whimsical Renaissance château set within 50 acres of grounds. Interiors brim with character, expect: elegant antiques, tapestries, working fireplaces and classic french patterns. There's plenty to do within the property from fishing to cycling and it's also well positioned to explore the region. See More
Chateau La Cheneviere Bayeux 29 rooms from £169Foodies - The restaurant serves classical cuisine based on the flavours of Normandy.LuxuryRomantic BreakViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Michelin Travel, Small Luxury Hotels
A luxurious 18th century chateau on the coastline. Traditional and elegant interiors include enormous rooms and suites, a classical French restaurant, and an inviting bar. Heated pool, tennis courts, golf and beaches nearby. A fantastic spot for a romantic break filled with sporting activities. See More
Chateau de Bouceel Normandy 5 rooms from £152Tennis - Play tennis at Club Avranches which is only 15km away.Sights nearby - D-Day beaches of Normandy are 90 minutes by carViews - Beautiful views of the parkSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
A gorgeous 18th century Chateau steeped in history. Bedrooms provide character and comfort in equal measure with pretty furnishings, wall panelling and parquet flooring. The garden and swimming pool offer a spot for relaxation after a day of exploring. Enjoy a delicious continental breakfast daily. See More
Chateau d'Audrieu Normandy 29 rooms from £142Hideaway - A real sense of peace set within 25 hectares of gardens and close to the expansive beaches of Normandy coastSights nearby - Few kilometres from the coast with the famous D-Day Landing beaches and seaside resorts of the Pearl CoastLocal markets - Daily markets nearby, as well as special night markets and must see morning fish marketsSailing - Pearl coast hosts many sailing and nautical clubsRecommended by - Fodors, Relais & Chateaux
A stunning 18th chateau in beautiful grounds. Opulent rooms feature antique furniture and pretty wallpapers. Expansive gardens, outdoor pool and tennis court. Fantastic regional cuisine and luxurious interiors have fireplaces and beams. Romantic, gourmet, and very relaxing. See More
Chateau de Saint Maclou la Campagne Saint-Maclou, Normandy 4 rooms from £152Wine tasting - The best Calvados in France is distilled a mile down the road. Calvados Camus.Luxury - Old world charm and luxury.Garden - Attractive outside space.Romantic BreakRecommended by - Sawdays, Michelin Travel
A stunning chateau with spectacular interiors. Enormous bedrooms have fireplaces, four poster beds, and luxurious fabrics in traditional style. Each living area or salon is filled with antiques and art works. A fairytale spot with a fantastic nearby restaurant, available for exclusive use too. See More
Chateau de Bonnemare Normandy 4 rooms from £113Country Escape - A chapel, farm and cider press are hidden amongst the rambling grounds, inviting you to explore then retire to the regal roomsKayaking - Many splendid sites that are accessible only by waterGreat walks - 44 acres of park and woodland surround ChateauSights nearby - Abbaye Notre-Dame de Fontaine-GuérardRecommended by - Sawdays
Chateau les Cedres Caen (rue de Bayeux) 3 rooms from £103Local exploring - Ideally placed as a base for exploring Normandy.Sights nearby - View the 11th century Bayeux tapestry telling the story of William the Conqueror.Secluded setting - For escaping.Traditional
An imposing sand yellow chateau set within mature gardens in the pretty town of Bretteville l’Orgueilleuse. Simply styled rooms are traditional yet unfussy with polished wooden floors, white washed walls and exposed beams. A family friendly hotel offering easy access to Normandy's main attractions. See More