21 of the Best Château Hotels in Normandy
A lush rural idyll with an incredibly beautiful coastline and some of the most memorable views in France, Normandy is the sort of place you can imagine you’d want to build a country house, if you had that sort of means, so it’s no wonder that Normandy has so many elegant châteaux, dating from the Renaissance period, all the way up to the 20th century. Unfortunately these days many families can’t manage the upkeep on their family country house, all those huge windows and elegant parquet flooring are hard to keep going, but it does mean that many of them have been opened up as luxurious hotels or elegant B&Bs, so we’re all able to enjoy waking up in these beautiful buildings overlooking green and pleasant countryside and looking forward to a day exploring Normandy! Our recommendations for the best château hotels in Normandy also includes some of the best B&Bs in Normandy, and some manor houses which give the impression of a château stay in Normandy.
Normandy’s Best Traditional Châteaux
- If you want to find somewhere elegant and impressive looking, with the feeling of old opulence and family history then you’ll want something from this category. And we think the Château de Villiers is a good place to start. It’s an elegant, beautifully restored château complete with a moat and a tall pointed roof and tower, and many huge windows, set in the Normandy countryside. Inside the five rooms have been beautifully decorated with antique furnishings and plush linens, complete with four-poster or balcony beds, wood flooring and fireplaces. There’s also a separate self-catering house, and several family-sized treehouses, which can accommodate two adults and two children. The garden-to-table table d’hotes style dinners are also positively reviewed.
- If you’re really looking for a fairytale castle, our pick for you would be the Château de Canisy, a grand many-towered building set on a 700 acre estate. It’s been beautifully preserved, both inside and out, and there are numerous reception rooms filled with elegant antiques, and warmed by roaring fires. The 17 rooms and suites are just as beautiful and historic; expect your bed to be hung with heavy drapes, your walls to be adorned with traditional French patterned wallpaper and oil paintings, and your bathroom to be marble.
- Built for the Marquis d’Ourville in 1765, the Château de Pont Rilly has that wonderful château grandeur, the symmetrical facade of white stone, with the huge windows and grey roof and the typical wrought iron, and it’s surrounded by sweeping landscaped gardens and a series of small canals, so it also feels like it has a moat. Steeped in history, this charming property has just four rooms, all with beautiful marble fireplaces and parquet flooring, topped off with appropriate antiques. There are also three self-catering cottages in the grounds, which sleep four, six and eight.
- The Château de Beneauville is a Renaissance château set in 50 acres of beautiful gardens and parkland, whose interiors are brimming with elegant antiques, tapestries, oil paintings, traditional wallpapers, carved wood and stone fireplaces with open fires, and some notable French design and patterns. The location, between Caen and the coast, is perfect for both explorers and those seeking an active break. But it’s just as much a romantic hideaway.
- The Château de la Pommeraye is an elegant stately home in a beautiful, rural location. It has just five rooms, all of them sumptuous and traditional, with beautiful antiques, huge beds and fairytale views. For many this will match your idea of the "perfect château", from the Louis XVI furniture to the Italianate stairwells. You can also book the whole property for private use, and arrange meals as needed.
- Also benefitting from a tranquil spot, Château la Ferriere is a stunning 18th century pile just outside Bayeux, with just five traditionally dressed rooms and suites. If you j’adore parquet and toile du jouy, chandeliers and drapes, antiques and busts, then you should be extremely happy here; ditto if you’re looking for a small, intimately luxurious feeling château, which really feels like a château.
Some of Normandy’s Best Château Escapes
- The Château de Chantore is a stunning, red-brick château just back from the coast by Mont Saint Michel, hidden amongst rolling parkland so that it feels a million miles from anywhere. There are just five rooms, all of them resplendent with patterned or embroidered fabrics and period wallpapers. This is traditional maximalism at its best in an idyllic rural location.
- Elegant and romantic, it’s the Château Hotel de Belmesnil’s position, in a tranquil, secluded spot outside Rouen, that earns it a place on the escapes list. From the outside it looks every inch the perfect château, and on the inside it’s been beautifully refurbished to the standards of modern luxury, in warm, natural colours. There are ten rooms, and public spaces where you can play table football, or table tennis, French boules or badminton.
- Very close to the Parc Natural Regional Normandie-Maine, the Château de Sarceaux is an idyllic countryside escape. Originally built as a hunting lodge, then converted into more of a doll’s house style château in the 18th century, this is an historic property with four individually styled rooms, each with their own fireplace and rustic wood floors, and one suite, similarly, but more grandly decorated.
- The Château de Bouceel is another property with the look of an elegant doll’s house, though this time one too large to fit on your table… Also built in the 18th century, this five bedroom property has a wonderful collection of antiques, including Louis XVI-style panelling and lovely parquet floors, and some of the bedrooms are quite grand. The garden is big, and there’s a pool too.
The Most Romantic Château Hotels in Normandy
- Classically beautiful, with the kind of huge elegant windows and ornate iron and stonework that châteaux are known for, the Château d'Audrieu was built in a beautiful spot in the 18th century, and is surrounded by elegant grounds. These days there’s a pool and tennis courts too. Inside there are 29 rooms, varying in opulence, but all with original features, antiques and pretty patterns. The restaurant is gourmet, and you’re not far from the coast.
- Close to Bayeux, the Château de Sully is more of a hotel than many of our recommendations, so it’s perfect if you’re looking for more hotel facilities, like a spa, hot tub, heated pool and a Michelin-starred restaurant. It’s still historic, built in the 18th century, and relatively small as far as hotels go, with just 23 rooms and suites, and there’s the same tranquil parkland surrounds as you’ll find in our other favourites.
- The Château la Cheneviere offers all the romance and luxury of a traditional French château, without even a whiff of a problem with the plumbing in its 29 rooms and suites, which are decorated with the height of modern luxury in mind. The elegant, 18th century building looks very much the part, surrounded by beautiful gardens and parkland, but inside it has all the mod. cons. including a cocktail bar, heated pool and tennis courts. The restaurant is classical French, and you’re close to the D-Day beaches and to Bayeux, and the local golf club.
Château Hotels for Families
- It’s surprisingly difficult to find a château by the coast, but we do know of a couple, and the fact that the Château du Rozel is only five minutes drive from the sea qualifies it for us — some of the rooms even have a sea view. This isn’t a symmetrical doll’s house of a château, but one that has been built upon during different periods, starting in the 16th century, and it has crenelated towers, but also a row of cottages. Which equates to a variety of accommodation choices, including four rooms in the main house and two self-catering cottages ideal for families.
- The Château de Miromesnil would also fit into our category of traditional châteaux, with its elegant, symmetrical design complete with corner towers and huge, ornate windows, and its five rooms are all unique and all charming, but in addition to those this château has a huge apartment which can sleep up to ten people, so it’s ideal if you have a large family, or you’re holidaying with in-laws etc.. Its location, just outside Dieppe, is convenient too, and there’s lots to do, like play tennis, go horse riding or play golf.
- Romantic AND family friendly, the Château de saint Paterne is 15th century château with really charming hosts in an idyllic spot outside Alencon. There are nine rooms and two suites — one of the suites is in a treehouse in the woods — and the suites are part of why this château is listed in the best for families category. The other parts of the reason are the early suppertime for children, and all the things you can do here, including swimming, playing tennis or badminton, or croquet or table tennis. The interiors are very romantic, some rooms have four-poster beds, or exposed beams, some have parquet floors or painted murals, but they’re all lovely. And the table d’hotes is fantastic.
Normandy’s Best Château B&Bs
- The Château de Bonnemare is in a beautiful spot, but really in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by its own rambling grounds, on which you might also discover the château’s chapel, farm and cider press. Inside the decor is no less than regal in some of the rooms, others are simpler, though, and very good value.
- The Château de Saint Maclou La Compagne is just outside Honfleur, though you wouldn’t know it from the views out of the château’s huge windows! There are just four bedrooms, all of them huge, with enormous fireplaces. One has a four-poster bed, and two can be twin rooms, but all have elegant fabrics and furnishings with a traditional feel. And there are multiple living areas and salons decorated with antiques and works of art.
For a great value stay
- If you’re the kind of traveller who appreciates personal touches then the Château de la Mouchere might be for you. It’s not as intimate as some of our other recommendations, with its 37 rooms and two suites which sleep up to four, but the hosts are very welcoming, and they provide an excellent table d’hotes. It’s beautiful here too, the sandstone country house with its traditional shutters set in picturesque gardens, and inside it’s just as pretty, with parquet floors and fireplaces, and an Art Deco flavour.
- Elegant, yet unfussy, and close to Caen, the Château Les Cedres looks like a fine manor on the outside, but feels more like a grand family home on the inside. If this is more to your taste then you might also appreciate that there are just three rooms here, and they’re all simply, freshly styled, with white walls that make the most of the elegant original doors, floors and fireplaces.
Still not sure which to book?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Normandy.
- Or refine your search to just the best places to stay in Bayeux, the best places to stay in Barneville-Carteret, in Honfleur or Giverny.
- Alternatively, you could consider our Guru’s recommendations for 20 of the Best B&Bs in Normandy.
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Château de Sarceaux Alencon (61250 Alençon-Valframbert) 4 roomsSights nearby - Le Mont St Michel and D-Day landing beaches as well as the pretty town of AlenconViews - Rooms have views overlooking the park or pondTraditional - Traditional fireplaces and wooden floorsBack to Nature
Once an ancient hunting lodge and then an 18th century castle, this Château is filled with character. Offering comfortable and individually styled bedrooms with en suite bathrooms, each room has its own fireplace and rustic wooden floors. Enjoy beatiful views over the surrounding park and pond. See More
Chateau Hotel de Belmesnil Rouen (St. Denis le Thiboult) 10 rooms from £135Country Escape - A relaxing stay in a tranquil spot surrounded by pretty Normandy countryside.Great walks - Discover miles of walking trails through the picturesque countryside.TraditionalFull of character
Chateau de Chantore Avranches 5 rooms from £148Romantic Break - A secluded and intimate spot, ideal for a romantic break in Lower Normandy and Mont Saint Michel.Sights nearby - Seven miles from the stunning Mont Saint Michel Abbey.Full of characterSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Sawdays
Chateau de la Pommeraye La Pommeraye, Normandy 5 rooms from £169Sights nearby - Discover the Bayeux tapestry and the Normandy landing beaches.Great walks - From the doorBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Sawdays, I Escape
Chateau de Canisy Saint Lo 17 rooms from £340Country Escape - Set on seven-hundred rolling acres of Norman countryside, the ultimate high-end rural escape.Sights nearby - The famed sights of Mont Saint Michel and the Bayeux Tapestry are within easy reach.Great walks - Find no shortages of walks through the varied landscapes of the estate.Fishing - Spend a tranquil afternoon fishing on the property's pond.Recommended by - Tablet
A fairy-tale like chateau set on a 700 acre estate. Beautifully kept throughout, the property offers numerous reception rooms filled with antiques and boasting roaring fires. Elegant rooms are individually styled with rich hues, patterned wallpaper and heavily draped bed heads. A luxurious stay. See More
Chateau de la Ferriere Bayeux 5 rooms from £191Local exploring - Ideally located in Normandy between Bayeux, Caen and the Landing Beaches.Sights nearby - Admire the striking architecture of the Abbey of Saint-Étienne in Caen.Secluded setting - For escaping.Full of character
A stunning 18th century chateau boasting a scenic and tranquil location just outside Bayeux. A handful of elegant rooms are traditional yet unfussy with a choice selection of antiques, floor to ceiling windows and indulgent bathrooms. A delightful base from which to explore the region. See More
Chateau de Pont Rilly Normandy 4 rooms from £130Traditional - The chateau was designed in 1765, by the architect Pierre-Raphaël de Lozon for the Marquis dʼOurville.Birdwatching - Visits to the Maison du Parc naturel régional des Marais du Cotentin et du BessinSights nearby - Visits to the Normandy landing beaches and the coastal city of CherbourgLocal markets - Market day in Valognes
Chateau de Beneauville Cabourg 5 rooms from £165Country Escape - A quintessentially french country escape with chic interiors, indulgent breakfast and fantastic walks.Local markets - Sample regional produce at one of the local farmers markets that run throughout the week.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolFull of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
A whimsical Renaissance château set within 50 acres of grounds. Interiors brim with character, expect: elegant antiques, tapestries, working fireplaces and classic french patterns. There's plenty to do within the property from fishing to cycling and it's also well positioned to explore the region. See More
Château de Villiers Normandy 5 rooms from £95Local exploring - This hotel makes a great base for exploring the charming villages of Normandy; enquire at the hotel for recommended day tripsFamilies - As well as the chateau there is a separate self catering house, and treehouses which the children will love!Country Escape - Set in the bucolic landscape of Normandy, this hotel makes a tranquil escape to the countryGreat walks - Explore the countryside on great walks to Notre Dame of Alençon Basilica and the Ducs Chapel in Essay
A classic French château Set amid the Normandy countryside. The property has been beautifully restored; rooms feature original terracotta tiled floors dressed with antique furniture and plush linens. Great garden-to-table, table d'hote style dinners and little wellness area for relaxation. See More
Chateau de Sully Bayeux 23 rooms from £155Local exploring - An ideal base for exploring the region including the WW2 Beaches and Bayeux TapestryFoodies - Multi-awarded restaurant serves creative cuisine and is famous for its seafoodFamilies - Childminding and other special facilities for families providedActive Holiday - Lots of outdoor activities for everyone to enjoy
Revel in fine French hospitality at this elegant 18th-century chateau in Bayeux, near Normandy’s top places of interest. The bedrooms are decorated in a traditional country-house style. A Michelin-starred restaurant offers gourmet dishes and there's a spa, hot tub, heated pool and stunning garden. See More
Chateau La Cheneviere Bayeux 29 rooms from £169Foodies - The restaurant serves classical cuisine based on the flavours of Normandy.LuxuryRomantic BreakViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Michelin Travel, Small Luxury Hotels
A luxurious 18th century chateau on the coastline. Traditional and elegant interiors include enormous rooms and suites, a classical French restaurant, and an inviting bar. Heated pool, tennis courts, golf and beaches nearby. A fantastic spot for a romantic break filled with sporting activities. See More
Chateau de Bouceel Normandy 5 rooms from £152Sights nearby - D-Day beaches of Normandy are 90 minutes by carViews - Beautiful views of the parkSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolBack to Nature
A gorgeous 18th century Chateau steeped in history. Bedrooms provide character and comfort in equal measure with pretty furnishings, wall panelling and parquet flooring. The garden and swimming pool offer a spot for relaxation after a day of exploring. Enjoy a delicious continental breakfast daily. See More
Chateau d'Audrieu Normandy 29 rooms from £142Hideaway - A real sense of peace set within 25 hectares of gardens and close to the expansive beaches of Normandy coastSights nearby - Few kilometres from the coast with the famous D-Day Landing beaches and seaside resorts of the Pearl CoastLocal markets - Daily markets nearby, as well as special night markets and must see morning fish marketsSailing - Pearl coast hosts many sailing and nautical clubsRecommended by - Fodors, Relais & Chateaux
A stunning 18th chateau in beautiful grounds. Opulent rooms feature antique furniture and pretty wallpapers. Expansive gardens, outdoor pool and tennis court. Fantastic regional cuisine and luxurious interiors have fireplaces and beams. Romantic, gourmet, and very relaxing. See More
Chateau de Saint Maclou la Campagne Saint-Maclou, Normandy 4 rooms from £152Wine tasting - The best Calvados in France is distilled a mile down the road. Calvados Camus.Luxury - Old world charm and luxury.Garden - Attractive outside space.Romantic BreakRecommended by - Sawdays, Michelin Travel
A stunning chateau with spectacular interiors. Enormous bedrooms have fireplaces, four poster beds, and luxurious fabrics in traditional style. Each living area or salon is filled with antiques and art works. A fairytale spot with a fantastic nearby restaurant, available for exclusive use too. See More
Chateau du Rozel Normandy 4 rooms from £108Sights nearby - Close to Cherbourg and to the aquarium, “la Cité de La Mer”. You can also go and discover the charm of the Channel IslandsGreat walks - Walks along the seafront are possible at Barneville-Carteret and DieletteSeaside - located just 0.6 miles from the sea, near Jersey and Guernsey.Fishing - Fishing at Barneville -Carteret and Dielette
Chateau du Rozel stands tall beside several charming cottages. The rooms within the Chateau are tastefully decorated with lovely attention to detail. The cottages have their own facilities, some with views out to sea. All perfectly situated in a great location 5 minutes from the coast. Delightful! See More
Chateau de la Mouchere St-Cyr-la-Rosière, Normandy 37 rooms from £74FamiliesGreat walks - The footpath leading from Chartres to the Mont St Michel passes right outside.Cooking classes - Informal workshops preparing jams, compotes, chutneys and liqueursLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Sawdays
A beautiful sandstone country house with white shutters set in picturesque gardens. Friendly hosts, an excellent table d'hotes, and terraces all around the property. The bedrooms and two suites (sleep 4) have Art Deco touches, parquet floors and fireplaces. A great choice for families or couples. See More
Chateau de saint Paterne Alencon 11 rooms from £132Foodies - Continental breakfast and 5 course set dinners by a Michelin chef.FamiliesSwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Stunning 15th century chateau with a fantastic table d'hotes and charming hosts. Romantic bedrooms and suites in soft pastels with wooden panelled walls, fourposter beds, and fireplaces. In-room massages, a swimming pool, and early supper for children. Romantic, but still family friendly. See More
Chateau de Bonnemare Normandy 4 rooms from £95Country Escape - A chapel, farm and cider press are hidden amongst the rambling grounds, inviting you to explore then retire to the regal roomsKayaking - Many splendid sites that are accessible only by waterGreat walks - 44 acres of park and woodland surround ChateauSights nearby - Abbaye Notre-Dame de Fontaine-GuérardRecommended by - Sawdays
Chateau les Cedres Caen (rue de Bayeux) 3 rooms from £103Local exploring - Ideally placed as a base for exploring Normandy.Sights nearby - View the 11th century Bayeux tapestry telling the story of William the Conqueror.Secluded setting - For escaping.Traditional
An imposing sand yellow chateau set within mature gardens in the pretty town of Bretteville l’Orgueilleuse. Simply styled rooms are traditional yet unfussy with polished wooden floors, white washed walls and exposed beams. A family friendly hotel offering easy access to Normandy's main attractions. See More
Chateau de Miromesnil Dieppe (Tourville-sur-Arques) 5 rooms from £100Groups - The modern apartment has plenty of living space, with tennis, horse riding nearby, or take a stroll to the chapel in the gardensSights nearby - Dieppe, with its castle and museum, its churches and pleasant marinaLocal markets - Every Saturday in DieppeSecluded setting - For escaping.