The Best Château Hotels in Normandy
Normandy is a pretty coastal region with a rich historic past. It boasts some of France's most famed sights including the Bayeaux Tapestry, the D-Day landing beaches, and the iconic island monastery, Mont St-Michel. There are also dramatic coastlines, pleasant rolling hills and a distinct (and delicious) cuisine to be explored. For that classical French stay, it doesn't get much better than booking a room in one of the region's châteaux. Whether you want grand and traditional or something a little more chic and contemporary, there is plenty to choose from. Our hotel experts have compiled a collection of the best Château hotels in Normandy with something for everyone whether you are on a romantic escape or a family break. So why not browse through our collection to start planning your trip?
For a traditional château
- Château de Canisy is a grand building set on a 700-acre estate. It’s been beautifully preserved, both inside and out, and there are numerous reception rooms filled with elegant antiques, and featuring roaring fires. Rooms and suites are just as beautiful and historic; beds are hung with heavy drapes and the walls are adorned with traditional French patterned wallpaper and oil paintings. A fairytale stay.
- Built for the Marquis d’Ourville in 1765, the Château de Pont Rilly has that classic château grandeur. Steeped in history, this charming property has just four rooms, all with beautiful marble fireplaces and parquet flooring, topped off with period-appropriate antiques. There are also three self-catering cottages in the grounds, which sleep four, six and eight.
- The Château de Beneauville is a Renaissance château set in 50 acres of beautiful gardens and parkland. Interiors are brimming with elegant antiques, tapestries, oil paintings, traditional wallpapers, carved wood and stone fireplaces with open fires, and some notable French design and patterns. The location, between Caen and the coast, is perfect for both explorers and those seeking an active break. But it’s just as much a romantic hideaway.
- The Château de la Pommeraye is an elegant stately home in a beautiful rural location. It has just five rooms, all of them sumptuous and traditional, with beautiful antiques, huge beds and wonderful views. For many, this will match your idea of the "perfect château", from the Louis XVI furniture to the Italianate stairwells. You can also book the whole property for private use, and arrange meals as needed.
- Also benefitting from a tranquil spot, Château la Ferriere is a stunning 18th-century pile just outside Bayeux, with just five traditionally dressed rooms and suites. If you want parquet and toile du jouy, chandeliers and drapes, antiques and busts, then you should be extremely happy here; ditto if you’re looking for an intimate and luxurious base, which really feels like a château.
For a rural hideaway
- The Château de Chantore is a stunning red-brick château just back from the coast by Mont Saint Michel, hidden amongst rolling parkland so that it feels a million miles from anywhere. There are just five rooms, all of them resplendent with patterned or embroidered fabrics and period wallpapers. This is traditional maximalism at its best in an idyllic rural location.
- Elegant and romantic, it’s the Château Hotel de Belmesnil’s position, in a tranquil, secluded spot outside Rouen, that is the real lure. From the outside, it looks every inch the perfect château while on the inside, it has been beautifully refurbished to the standards of modern luxury, in warm, natural colours. There are ten rooms, and public spaces where you can play table football, or table tennis, French boules or badminton.
- Very close to the Parc Natural Regional Normandie-Maine, the Château de Sarceaux is an idyllic countryside escape. Originally built as a hunting lodge, then converted into more of a doll’s house style château in the 18th-century, this is a historic property with four individually styled rooms, each with its own fireplace and rustic wood floors, and one suite, similarly, but more grandly decorated.
- The Château de Bouceel is another picture-perfect property. Built in the 18th-century, this five bedroom property has a wonderful collection of antiques, including Louis XVI-style panelling and lovely parquet floors. Some of the bedrooms are quite grand. The garden is large, and there’s a pool too.
- Chateau de Blavou is a picture-perfect castle set in the picturesque Normandy-Perche regional country park. Interiors are suitably grand and filled with antiques. Enormous rooms boast four-poster beds and equally large (and indulgent) bathrooms. With numerous activities on its doorstep, this is the perfect rural escape.
For a romantic escape
- Classically beautiful, with the kind of huge elegant windows and ornate iron and stonework that châteaux are known for, the Château d'Audrieu was built in a beautiful spot in the 18th-century. These days there’s a pool and tennis courts too. Inside, the 29 rooms vary in opulence but all have original features and antiques. The restaurant is gourmet, and you’re not far from the coast. A perfect escape for two.
- The Château la Cheneviere offers all the romance and luxury of a traditional French château but having undergone a full renovation interiors now feature modern luxuries with all the mod cons including a cocktail bar, heated pool and tennis courts. The restaurant serves classical French cuisine and is ideal for a romantic dinner.
- Romantic and family-friendly, the Château de saint Paterne is a 15th-century château with charming hosts in an idyllic spot outside Alencon. There are nine rooms and two suites — one of which is in a treehouse in the woods (which kids will love). With early supper time for children and endless activities including swimming, tennis, badminton, croquet or table tennis, plus fantastic table d’hote dinners, this is a real crowd pleaser.
- Chateau Saint Gilles is an 18th-century château located close to Bayeux. Inside, guestrooms and apartments are bright and contemporary, while tall windows and heritage fireplaces attest to the property's heritage. Spacious family suites are ideal for those travelling with young kids. A well priced option close to some of Normandy's most famed sights.
For a B&B
- The Château de Bonnemare is in a beautiful and remote spot. The property's sprawling grounds house a chapel, farm and cider press. Inside the decor is no less than regal in some of the rooms, others are simpler, though, and very good value. A charming hideaway.
For great value
- Elegant yet unfussy, the Château Les Cedres lies close to Caen and looks like a fine manor on the outside but feels more like a grand family home on the inside. If this is more to your taste then you might also appreciate that there are just three rooms here and they’re all simply and freshly styled with white walls that make the most of the elegant original doors, floors and fireplaces.
For Exclusive Use
- Chateau du Saussard is a stunning ten bedroom exclusive use property (plus charming fisherman's cottage) set in lovely Normandy countryside. Interiors have been meticulously designed to ensure a feeling of opulence and grandeur throughout, with period detailing and antiques galore. Added extras include a subterranean spa (with pool), tennis court, boating and fishing on site. A private chef can be arranged.
Still not sure which to book?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Normandy.
- Or refine your search to just the best places to stay in Bayeux, the best places to stay in Barneville-Carteret, in Honfleur or Giverny.
- Alternatively, you could consider our Guru’s recommendations for 20 of the Best B&Bs in Normandy.
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Château de Sarceaux Alençon (61250 Alençon-Valframbert) 5 rooms from £117Groups - With four rooms, expansive grounds, private dinners, and grand reception rooms - this is ideal to rent in its entiretyCountry Escape - A grand chateau set in bucolic parkland - this is the quintessential French rural getawayLocal exploring - Le Mont St Michel and the D-Day landing beaches are within easy reach from the propertySights nearby - Le Mont St Michel and D-Day landing beaches as well as the pretty town of Alencon
Once an ancient hunting lodge, this grand 18th-century château is filled with character. Offering comfortable and individually styled bedrooms with en suite bathrooms, each room has its own fireplace and rustic wooden floors. Enjoy beautiful views over the surrounding park. A tranquil hideaway. See More
Chateau Hotel de Belmesnil Rouen (St. Denis le Thiboult) 10 rooms from £135Romantic Break - Offering a secluded setting and suites which boast whirlpool tubs large enough for two, make this a romantic baseCountry Escape - A relaxing stay in a tranquil spot surrounded by pretty Normandy countrysideGreat walks - Discover miles of walking trails through the picturesque countrysideWhirlpool Bathtub - The four suites feature whirlpool tubs
Chateau de Chantore Avranches 5 rooms from £204Romantic Break - An intimate spot boasting romantic rooms the best of which have draped four poster beds and free-standing roll-top bathsLocal exploring - With views of Mont Saint Michel from the hotel, this has very easy access to the UNESCO Heritate SiteFull of character - The interiors will transport you back in time and are filled with period antiquesSights nearby - Seven miles from the stunning Mont Saint Michel AbbeyRecommended by - Sawdays
Chateau du Saussard Bazincourt sur Epte, Normandy 10 rooms from £2492Self catering - This luxury chateau is a gorgeous self catering property, though if you don't want to cook, a chef can be arrangedCountry Escape - Live like a lord in this stunning chateau amid beautiful Normandy countrysideFamilies - The perfect venue for a special family or group celebration or get togetherExclusive use - This ten room chateau is for rental on an exclusive use basis
A luxurious ten room exclusive use chateau plus charming fisherman's cottage set in lovely Normandy countryside. Interiors have been meticulously designed to ensure a feeling of opulence throughout, with period detailing and antiques galore. The perfect pick for a holiday with friends or family. See More
Chateau de Blavou Mortagne-au-Perche, Normandy 7 rooms from £152Families - Full suites and private gites are available for the whole familly to stay togetherCountry Escape - A beautiful castle set in the stunning Normandy-Perche regional country parkRestaurant - Table d'Hotes dinners are available from the owner who was a professional chefSights nearby - Visit Le Pin stud built by Louis XIV in the style of Versailles
A picture-perfect castle set in the picturesque Normandy-Perche regional country park. Interiors are suitably grand filled with antiques. Enormous rooms boast four-poster beds and equally large (and indulgent) bathrooms. With numerous activities on its doorstep, this is the perfect rural escape. See More
Chateau de la Pommeraye La Pommeraye, Normandy 5 rooms from £143Groups - The property can be rented out in its entirety and lends itself well for holidays with friends or familyCountry Escape - A part moated chateau surrounded by meadows and forests, ideal for a rural hideawaySights nearby - Discover famed attractions such as the Bayeux tapestry and the Normandy landing beachesGreat walks - There are beautiful walks starting straight from the propertyRecommended by - Sawdays, I Escape
A half-moated chateau in a picturesque rural setting. Elegance interiors are classic in design with Louis XVI furniture, Italianate stairwells, sumptuous bedrooms, and fairytale views. A stately home (also available for exclusive use) perfect for couples, groups, or families. See More
Château Saint Gilles Bayeux (Guéron) 9 rooms from £181Hideaway - Nestled outside Bayeux in the sleepy commune of Guéron, this hotel makes a perfect choice for an elegant hideaway holidayCountry Escape - Set in a classic château in Bayeux surrounded by beautiful countryside, book this hotel for a chic rural retreatFamilies - The spacious family suites available and expansive gardens make this ideal for those travelling with childrenSights nearby - Visit the Notre-Dame Cathedral in Bayeux, a wonderful example of Norman architecture commissioned by William the Conqueror
This charming hotel is nestled in a converted 18th-century château close to Bayeux in Normandy. Inside, guestrooms and apartments are bright and contemporary, while tall windows and heritage fireplaces attest to the property's heritage - a chic and comfortable place to rest after local sightseeing. See More
Chateau de Canisy Saint Lo 17 rooms from £340Country Escape - Set on seven-hundred rolling acres of Norman countryside, the ultimate high-end rural escape.Sights nearby - The famed sights of Mont Saint Michel and the Bayeux Tapestry are within easy reach.Great walks - Find no shortages of walks through the varied landscapes of the estate.Fishing - Spend a tranquil afternoon fishing on the property's pond.Recommended by - Tablet
A fairy-tale like chateau set on a 700 acre estate. Beautifully kept throughout, the property offers numerous reception rooms filled with antiques and boasting roaring fires. Elegant rooms are individually styled with rich hues, patterned wallpaper and heavily draped bed heads. A luxurious stay. See More
Chateau de la Ferriere Bayeux 5 rooms from £278Local exploring - Ideally located in Normandy between Bayeux, Caen and the Landing Beaches for local exploringCountry Escape - With acres of parkland, this is a grand base for a rural getawaySwimming Pool - Heated outdoor saltwater pool, available for guests to use every afternoonSights nearby - Admire the striking architecture of the Abbey of Saint-Étienne in Caen
A stunning 18th century chateau boasting a scenic and tranquil location just outside Bayeux. A handful of elegant rooms are traditional yet unfussy with a choice selection of antiques, floor to ceiling windows and indulgent bathrooms. A delightful base from which to explore the region. See More
Chateau de Pont Rilly Normandy 4 rooms from £156Country Escape - A classic grand chateau set at the end of a magnificent mile long paved avenue, this is the quintessential rural french escapeFamilies - With self catering cottages of various sizes, this is a good option for families who want an independent stayTraditional - The chateau was designed in 1765, by the architect Pierre-Raphaël de Lozon for the Marquis dʼOurvilleSights nearby - The Normandy landing beaches and the coastal city of Cherbourg are both easily accessible
A grand and beautifully restored 18th-century chateau, steeped in history and full of charm and character. Traditional rooms feature marble fireplaces, antique furniture and parquet floors. The chateau is surrounded by sweeping landscaped gardens and small canals. A quintessential French rural stay. See More
Chateau de Beneauville Cabourg 5 rooms from £165Country Escape - A quintessentially french country escape with chic interiors, indulgent breakfast and fantastic walksGroups - With just five rooms, this is ideal to rent out in its entirety for a grand getaway with friendsLocal markets - Sample regional produce at one of the local farmers markets that run throughout the weekSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRecommended by - Sawdays
A whimsical Renaissance château set within 50 acres of grounds. Interiors brim with character, expect: elegant antiques, tapestries, working fireplaces and classic french patterns. There's plenty to do within the property from fishing to cycling and it's also well positioned to explore the region. See More
Chateau La Cheneviere Bayeux (Normandy) 29 rooms from £237Local exploring - Some of Normandy's most famed attractions are nearby including the Bayeaux Tapestry and D Day landing beachesFoodies - The restaurant serves classical cuisine based on the flavours of NormandySights nearby - Very close to historic Bayeux where the Bayeaux Tapestry amongst aother historical sights can be viewedTennis - Play a game on the hotel's courtRecommended by - Michelin Travel, Small Luxury Hotels
A luxurious 18th-century chateau on the coastline. Traditional and elegant interiors include enormous rooms and suites, a classical French restaurant, and an inviting bar. With a pool and tennis courts within the picturesque grounds - this is the complete package for a french rural getaway. See More
Chateau de Bouceel Normandy 5 rooms from £152Historic - 18th Century Chateau which is registered as a historic building and has been in the same family for generationsCountry Escape - A grand chateau set in beautiful mature parklands, a destination unto its own and a regal rural escapeLocal exploring - The perfect location for exploring the Bay of Mont St MichelFull of character - Stunning interiors which will transport you back in time to the 18th century
A gorgeous 18th-century chateau steeped in history. Bedrooms provide character and comfort in equal measure with pretty furnishings, wall panelling and parquet flooring. The garden and swimming pool offer a spot for relaxation after a day of exploring. A grand country escape. See More
Chateau d'Audrieu Normandy 29 rooms from £227Local exploring - Abundance of sights in the Normandy area, from museums, beaches, galleries, markets and outdoor activitiesCountry Escape - An 18th-century chateau set on a 60-acre estate, this is a very grand country escapeSights nearby - A few kilometres from the coast with the famous D-Day Landing beaches and seaside resorts of the Pearl CoastLocal markets - Daily markets nearby, as well as special night markets and must see morning fish marketsRecommended by - Fodors, Relais & Chateaux
A stunning 18th-century chateau set in beautiful grounds. Opulent rooms feature antique furniture and classic wallpapers. Boasting expansive gardens, an outdoor pool, & tennis court. Fantastic regional cuisine and luxurious interiors have fireplaces and beams. Romantic, gourmet, and very relaxing. See More
Chateau de Bonnemare Normandy 4 rooms from £117Historic - For a slice of history book “La chambre de Parade”, the oldest suite in the chateau, filled with 17th century furniture & decorCountry Escape - A chapel, farm and cider press are hidden amongst the rambling grounds, this is a quintessential French rural getawayKayaking - Many splendid sites that are accessible only by waterGreat walks - 44 acres of park and woodland surround the ChateauRecommended by - Sawdays
A charming B&B chateau set within picturesque parkland. Unique rooms exude elegance with four poster beds, French moulding on the walls, and traditional bathrooms. With pretty gardens, a chapel, a farm and a cider press in the grounds - this is an authentic rural French getaway. See More
Chateau les Cedres Caen (rue de Bayeux) 5 rooms from £149Local exploring - Set between Bayeux and Caen, the area is rich in history with museums, castles, cathedrals, & the D Day Landing beaches nearbyGroups - With just five rooms this is a good option to rent out in its entirety for those travelling with a group of friends or familySights nearby - View the 11th century Bayeux tapestry telling the story of William the ConquerorSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
An imposing sand yellow chateau set within mature gardens in the pretty town of Bretteville l’Orgueilleuse. Simply styled rooms are traditional yet unfussy with polished wooden floors, white washed walls and exposed beams. A family friendly hotel offering easy access to Normandy's main attractions. See More