5 of the Best guesthouses on Crete
Crete has a well-developed tourist industry offering everything from hostels to high-end resorts. If you want to avoid either high prices - usually in the luxury resorts around Elounda and Agios Nikolaos - or high-octane 24-hour partying - centred around the Iraklio region of Malia and Hersonisos - a guesthouse can be a good solution. Our pick of the best gueshouses on Crete should satisfy all tastes, with a selection ranging from the cheap and cheerful to the luxurious.
Some of the best areas are around Réthymno in the centre of the north coast, and areas to the west, including Haniá and Chania. Réthymno, for example, has a delightful, medieval old town which still displays its network of Venetian lanes and Turkish houses, and an impressive Venetian fortress. It also boasts Crete's longest sandy beach
Not only can guesthouses be more characterful and more modestly priced, but they are often family-run. Use our guide to the best guesthouses on Crete to bag yourself a worthy bargain.
5 of the Best Guesthouses in Crete
The Best Guesthouses in Chania
- Overlooking a quiet square, but only five minutes from Chania's harbour, Ionas Boutique Hotel is an Ottoman-style townhouse where rooms are cool in white and exposed stone. A pergola-shaded terrace makes a lovely retreat after a day on the beach or exploring.
- Right on the waterfront of Chania, Porto Antico is a Venetian townhouse offering 10 cool and comfortable, traditional-style rooms. Be sure to ask for a harbour-view bedroom. There are also more contemporary furnished breakfast-and sitting-rooms.
- It's worth the (slightly) extra money to stay at La Maison Ottomane, a restored Venetian mansion also in Chania. More like a private house, the three bedrooms mix antiques, wood floors and Persian rugs with modern, marbled bathrooms. Breakfasts are served in the quiet courtyard.
- Despite its name, the Splanzia Hotel has a guesthouse feel, with just eight, elegantly rustic rooms and offering great value for central Chania.
The Best Guesthouses in Rethymno
- For a richly historic feel, Casa Vitae, an Ottoman-Venetian era townhouse in Réthymno, takes some beating for its price. Rooms are atmospheric with stone walls, wooden floors and raftered ceilings, and are romantically furnished with antiques and rich hangings.
Staying in one of the best guesthouses on Crete can prove one of the best ways to experience the island, but if you can't find your perfect accommodation on our Guru's list of 5 of the best guesthouses on Crete you could:
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay on Crete?
- Or refine your search to just the best places to stay in Chania? or the best places to stay in Heraklion? or the best places to stay in Heraklion?
- Or you could refine your search to our Guru's recommendations for 12 of Crete's Best Beach Hotels? or 7 of the Best Self-Catering Apartments and Villas on Crete?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
5 of the Best Guesthouses on Crete
Porto Antico Chania (Crete) 11 rooms from £58Families - Family suites and even the dog is allowed - plus you're walking distance from the beachValue chic - Excellent value for such facilities -Views - Overlooking the Venetian harbour with romantic backstreets.Local markets - The Old Town's bustling market are a must
Built in 1659 Porto Antico is a stay amidst history. Location, service and price are this waterfront hotel's big selling points. For those looking for a short break in the heart of Chania, or a base for exploring, it offers an excellent compromise between style and affordability. See More
Ionas Boutique Hotel Chania (Crete) 9 rooms from £76Local exploring - Perfectly located for exloring Chania's Old Town. 100 yrds from the harbour.Local markets - Chania's thriving market stalls are within walking distanceFull of character - Transport yourself to ages past.Traditional
Tucked away on a pedestrian square full of potted shrubs and flowering trees, five minutes walk from Chania's Venetian harbour, Ionas Boutique Hotel suits couples and single visitors looking for a quiet haven from which to explore the old town. Rooms range from comfortable to luxurious. Good value. See More
Splanzia Hotel Chania 8 rooms from £76Value chic - A cool vibe at a great priceSights nearby - Byzantine monasteries of Ayia Triada.Great walks - Samaria gorge.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - I Escape
La Maison Ottomane Chania (Crete) 3 rooms from £130Sights nearby - 100yrds to the scenic Venetian Harbour.Sailing - Organise a private boat tourGreat walks - Botanical GardensFishing - Fishing trips
Casa Vitae Rethymno 8 rooms from £64Boutique - Interiors perfectly mixes the building's original style with contemporary rustic-chic designValue chic - A stylishly renovated old Venetian castle house, both central and great valueCoastal - Nearby Preveli beach is beautiful and boasts natural spa poolsSights nearby - Minutes away from the archaeological museum, Venetian harbour and Fortessa