20 Best Hotels in Rome for Couples
Rome is so obviously romantic that on a trip with my children the eight year old asked if the word ‘romantic’ comes from the name of the city. It’s a really good question, what with the way the Tiber meanders relaxedly by graceful architecture, and the squares open out to reveal glorious fountains, or bustling markets. Or the languid way people dine here, in public spaces allowing for maximum enjoyment of the city’s beauty. And the collections of art and antiquity, though not romantic for all, are certainly a rich layer of beauty that makes Rome feel seductive and wise. The real challenge for our Hotel Gurus would be to find a hotel in Rome that’s not romantic or good for couples — there are so many choices! And the result is a list of gorgeous properties ideal for couples, whether you're searching for a beautiful special occasion hotel in Rome, a hotel that works for sightseeing as well as romance, or a romantic Roman bolthole.
For the Scrapbook
- It’s difficult to find a view to rival that of the rooftop terrace bar and restaurant of the Palazzo Manfredi, which directly overlooks the Colosseum and Forum. The hotel is converted from an elegant palace, and has just 16 rooms and suites, but they’re all spacious and beautifully designed to make the most of the building’s classical features and the view, while still feeling contemporary. The food is fantastic too.
For History Lovers
- The Hotel Locarno is a wonderful Art Nouveau charmer, just oozing character, and perfectly positioned close to the Tiber in chic Monti. The hotel has 83 spacious rooms and suites, with elegant historic features you’ll remember forever. The beautiful bar attracts a fun crowd, and the roof terrace offers a knockout cocktail wth a view.
- A grand hotel since 1889, the Hotel Majestic is ideally positioned just off the Piazza Barberini, and has 97 rooms crammed with original and luxurious details. The best rooms have private terraces and whirlpool baths, but they all have an air of opulence. There’s a spa and cocktail bar, a roof terrace and elegant restaurant.
For Classical Views
- The Hotel d'Inghilterra is another classic Roman hotel, once a favourite of the Hollywood elite, who flocked to the Cafe Romano with its Mediterranean fare and the Bond Bar for the perfect martini. The location, just below the Spanish Steps, is a constant reminder of the magical city you’re in, and you’re surrounded by chic boutique windows offering historic sights. The 88 rooms and suites are decorated with dashing silks and art and antiques.
- The Hotel Barocco is a luxurious hotel adorned with classical statues and illustrations, and overlooking the Piazza Barberini and Triton Fountain. The 37 rooms and suites have less of the Baroque to them, but certainly borrow from that scale and sense of dramatic style, with marble bathrooms, dramatically draped curtains and stone reliefs. Some of the suites have private terraces and saunas.
- Situated between the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain, the Singer Palace is a 30 room hotel converted from an early 20th century palace. Rooms are stylish and comfortable, with modern Italian furniture and design pieces, and while all the suites are large, the best have a private terrace and separate living space.
- The Roma Luxus has been converted from an 18th century palace, just a few hundred metres away from the Forum and the Colosseum. There are 30 spacious rooms and suites today, individually decorated with design pieces, art, and chic Italian furnishings. Considering the age of the building, the rooms feel fresh, bold and contemporary, and the best have private terraces and hydromassage tubs big enough for two! There’s also a spa and glorious glasshouse of a restaurant.
- Close to the station, the Forum, the Colosseum and so many other highlights of Rome, The Fifteen Keys Hotel occupies a neighbourhood that still feels charming and bohemian, with great cafes and antique shops. Converted from an elegant townhouse, the now 15 room hotel has individually dressed rooms and suites featuring antiques and well chosen colours. They do a lovely breakfast, served in the courtyard when the weather allows, and they have hotel bikes for getting around on.
For Luxury Lovers
- Housed in a 15th century palazzo, the Palazzo Scanderberg manages to feature innovative design pieces beside original floors, beams and vaults, to create stylish and luxurious feeling surrounds. There are just 11 rooms and suites, the best with private terraces, and a butler serve. The largest suite, the Ambassador, spans three floors.
- With 122 rooms and suites, the Hotel de Russie is one of our largest recommendations for romantic hotels in Rome, but when it comes to facilities, it’s got some of the best, including a beautiful spa, a gym, an indoor pool, and stunning terrace gardens with a bar and restaurant. The rooms are light and airy, with views of the gardens and courtyards.
For a Roman Bolthole
- The Villa Duse is a converted villa in the peaceful, leafy Parioli district, with 18 classically designed and decorated rooms and suites, featuring a lovely collection of antiques. There’s a beautiful terrace and gardens, perfect for alfresco dining under the stars.
- The Villa Laetitia is a small, fashionable boutique hotel designed by the Fendi family. The location is close to the Tiber, to the north of the museum districts, but you’re still less than two kilometres walk from many of the major sights. There are just 15 rooms and suites, all impeccably decorated with 1930s era furniture, antique fabrics, marble statues and pillars, and black and white chequered flooring. A beautiful and tranquil choice.
- Central and opulent, the Hassler Roma offers five stars worth of location, views and Neoclassical detail, plus 87 spacious rooms and suites, many with private terraces, and a Michelin-starred restaurant. This hotel is offering us the definition of Roman luxury.
For an Intimate Spot
- Domus Libera is an intimate feeling boutique hotel between the Pantheon and Trajan’s Market. There are just six rooms, with exposed beams on the ceilings and wooden floors, but contemporary details and very modern bathrooms. The superior rooms have private balconies
- Close to the Pantheon and the Piazza Navona, the Argentina Residenza is a small, boutique style hotel with six rooms and suites. Dressed in pale, soft fabrics that make the most of the natural light pouring in through huge windows, the rooms and suites feel cosy and comfortable, as well as stylish. The Junior Suite has a whirlpool tub too. There’s no restaurant, but the bar is sleek and romantic.
- The Hotel Lunetta is a polished hotel with an excellent spa with an impressive menu of facilities. There are 30 rooms and suites, with beautiful parquet floors, huge beds, enormous marble bathrooms and classical furnishings. You might not think of Rome as a spa break destination, but it could be nice to luxuriate after sightseeing. There’s no restaurant, but you’re surrounded by great places to eat and drink.
For Design Lovers
- The Spagna Royal Suite is small, quirky and central: in the Piazza de Spagna. The 19 rooms and suites are luxurious and fashionable, some of them more daring than others, but if you opt for something tamer never fear, there are memorable features throughout.
- In the stylish Monti neighbourhood, the Residenze Argileto is a beautifully converted villa, with 20 rooms and suites. Furnished with contemporary four-poster beds and original artworks to contrast the wood beamed ceilings and tiled floors, these rooms feel big for such an historic building in such a central spot. The hotel has a hot tub on the roof terrace, as well as a bar and restaurant, and a small spa.
For Great Value
- The Corner is a ten room hotel converted from a very pretty Art Nouveau townhouse on the slopes of one of Rome’s hills, above the Colosseum and the Circo Massimo. Each of the rooms is uniquely decorated in sympathy to the building's original features, with panelled walls and parquet flooring, but bold colours and design accents. There’s also a cocktail lounge and garden and an excellent restaurant.
- The Saint B Boutique Hotel is an eight room hotel decorated with Italian flair and furnishings, just off the Piazza Barberini. The best suites have a private terrace and a deep in-room soaking tub. All the rooms have tea and coffee making facilities, because there’s no restaurant, but there are hundreds within a delightful Roman stroll.
Still not sure where to book?
- You could browse Rome by location, and focus on just the best hotels in central Rome, the best hotels near the Via Veneto, the Vatican, the Colosseum or The Pantheon
- You cold refine your search by the type of hotel, and consider just the best boutique hotels in Rome or the best luxury hotels in Rome
- Or you could expand your search to include our recommendations for all the best places to stay in Rome
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
The Corner Townhouse Rome (Aventino) 11 rooms from £245Foodies - Foodies will swoon at the fusion cuisine of chef Marco Martini at the hotel restaurant which has been awarded a Michelin starRomantic Break - Couples love the hotel's stylish suites, cosy cocktail bar, fine dining and hidden away feelCity Style - Located in an Art Nouveau townhouse, this hotel has reams of chic Italian styleSights nearby - Visit the nearby Circo Massimo, a huge outdoor arena used for Roman chariot races
This exclusive hotel occupies a pretty townhouse in central Rome. The villa's original features shine through in the modern and simply dressed suites boasting hand-selected design pieces; book the Suite Royal for a Roman-style terrace bath. Enjoy a cocktail in the lounge garden; a luxurious stay. See More
Villa Laetitia Rome 15 rooms from £195City Style - A very chic stay designed by one of the Fendi sisters expect original frescoes set besides well chosen contemporary artworksConcierge - Nothing is too much here whether you want a personal butler, a packing and unpacking service or just a bike to rentGood wine list - Anna carefully curated a signature wine collection of vintages hand picked from the best vineyards in ItalyLocal exploring - Well placed just a 15 minute stroll from Piazza del Popolo yet within a lovely quiet neighbourhood
Fashionable boutique hotel designed by the Fendi family. Set in luscious gardens alongside the river Tiber. Attention to detail throughout the rooms and living areas is spectacular - marble pillars, antique fabrics, black and white chequered flooring, 1930s art deco furniture. Tranquil and trendy. See More
Saint B Boutique Hotel Rome (Via Veneto) 8 rooms from £174Local exploring - The hotel's central location makes it a perfect base for exploring the city's most famed historic sitesSights nearby - The Trevi Fountain, Piazza di Spagna, Via Veneto, via dei Condotti can be reached with 5 minutes walkArtworks - The rooms are decorated with original paintings, many of which are unique, signed works of artCity Style - With all-Italian furnishings, this hotel has plenty of authentic city style
A stylish boutique hotel located in central Rome, a stone's throw from Piazza Barberini. Rooms boast modern interior design with exclusively Italian soft furnishings, from the hand-made flooring to the brass light fittings; the best suites have a private terrace. An exclusive design hotel. See More
The Fifteen Keys Hotel Rome 15 rooms from £178Local exploring - An ideal location for getting to know Rome from its major attractions to its boutiques, galleries and local eateriesShort break - The city’s main Termini train station is just a seven minute walk away making this convenient for a fly-by breakCity Style - Chic minimalist decor with painted brick walls, parquet floors and effective use of primary coloursSights nearby - Great location in the Monti district, just 10 mins walk from the ColosseumRecommended by - Tablet
An elegant townhouse hotel with stylish accommodation and an unpretentious feel. Enjoy alfresco breakfasts in the garden courtyard. Located in a charming neighbourhood, the area has a bohemian feel with great antique shops and good coffee spots and is close to major attractions. See More
Villa Duse Rome (Villa Borghese Parioli) 18 rooms from £77Hideaway - Situated in a leafy suburb, away from the busy tourist crowds, this is the perfect holiday hideaway hotelRomantic Break - Couples love the romantic décor of the suites and the pretty terrace, perfect for al fresco diningCity Style - Situated in a former private home, this hotel has reams of Italian grandeurGreat walks - Explore the neighbouring Park Villa Ada Savoia, a beautiful green space with bike rental and live music events
An exclusive villa in the tranquil Parioli district of Rome. Suites are dressed in warm tones with classical interior design; hand-selected antiques and plush linens complete the romantic feel. Relax in the hotel's beautiful Arts Garden after a day out. Escape the crowds at this refined bolt-hole. See More
Roma Luxus Rome (Rione Monti) 30 rooms from £138City Style - With rooms featuring Italian design pieces, and a trendy restaurant and bar on-site, there is plenty of city style at this hotelRomantic Break - The dramatic setting and luxurious suites score highly with couples; book a room with a hot tub for added indulgenceLocal exploring - Located within the historic Roman Forum, this hotel is a perfect starting point for exploring the local sightsSights nearby - Explore Trajan’s Markets, 2 minutes’ away from the hotel; the site features remains of what was once the hub of imperial Rome
This luxury, five-star hotel is housed in a renovated 18th-century palace in the Roman Forum. Rooms are smart and spacious with hand-selected design pieces; the best suites offer a private hot tub and terrace. Relax in the exclusive spa before dining at restaurant Madre. An indulgent getaway. See More
Argentina Residenza Rome (Pantheon) 6 rooms from £140Local exploring - Sitting opposite one of Rome's most famous archaeological sites, this hotel is perfectly located for exploring the local sightsHoneymoons - Book a suite with a hot tub for a honeymoon with an added sense of luxuryRomantic Break - Couples love the luxurious suites and the romantic hotel barSights nearby - Explore Largo di Torre Argentina opposite the hotel, a famous archaeological site and home to a colony of catsRecommended by - Tablet
This pretty boutique hotel takes its name from the renowned archaeological site it faces in central Rome. Rooms are dressed with luxurious soft furnishings in soft pastels; book the Junior Suite to enjoy a private hot tub. Relax with a drink at the sleek hotel bar in this exclusive Roman guesthouse. See More
Hotel Barocco Rome (Via Veneto) 37 rooms from £143Honeymoons - Book a junior suite with private sauna, terrace and hot tub for a honeymoon with added luxuryCity Style - Soaked in its namesake Baroque style, this hotel mirrors the historic city it calls homeRomantic Break - Couples fall in love with the romantic style of the hotel and the great locationSights nearby - Explore the historic sights of Rome from this hotel, with Piazza Barberini on the your doorstep and the Vatican close by
This luxury hotel sits in the centre of Rome overlooking Piazza Barberini and the Triton Fountain. As the name suggests, the hotel is an ode to Baroque style; expect marble bathrooms, dramatic draped curtains and stone reliefs. Book the stylish suite for a private terrace and sauna. An elegant stay. See More
Palazzo Manfredi Rome 16 rooms from £383Foodies - Michelin starred regional and Mediterranean fare is created by chef Giuseppe Di Lorio and served on the spectacular terraceOther Activities - Live the ultimate Italian experience by taking the house Lamborghini out for a spinFamilies - Children are well looked after with a babysitting service and kids' menusLocal exploring - Located beside the Colosseum; it doesn't get much better than this!Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Five-star luxury next to the Colosseum and the Forum with exceptional views of both from an excellent roof top restaurant. Chic rooms, suites, and apartments are decorated in a contemporary-classic design. With fantastic food, unique views, and wellness too - this is Rome in style. See More
Hotel de Russie Rome 122 rooms from £350Local exploring - With its central location and range of guided walking and biking tours, this is the perfect launching spot to explore the city5* Luxury - The property is one of Rocco Forte's flagship hotels with top notch service, beautiful accommodation and fabulous foodRestaurant - Le Jardin de Russie Restaurant offers stylish Italian cuisine in stunning surroundings both inside and outGarden - Stunning terraced gardens where you can dine during the summer monthsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
Domus Libera Rome (Trevi) 6 rooms from £140City Style - With its central location and luxurious rooms featuring Italian design pieces, this hotel has reams of Roman styleRomantic Break - Couples love to luxuriate in the hotel's designer bedding; book a suite with a bathtub for added indulgenceHideaway - Book a plush suite and hideout indoors at this pretty boutique hotelSights nearby - Visit Piazza Venezia, Rome's central hub located a stone's throw from this hotel
This intimate boutique hotel is located in the historic centre of Rome. Rooms are dressed in a simple, elegant style and boast exposed wooden beams; expect Italian design pieces, Hermès toiletries and plush Rivolta Carmignani bedding. Book a superior room to enjoy a pretty balcony. A stylish stay. See More
Hotel Lunetta Rome 30 rooms from £164Historic - The building used to be the ancient Albergo della Luna (dating back to 1368) and is one of the first hotels in the Eternal CitySpa breaks - The superlative spa features a hydrotherapy pool, Finnish sauna and hot tub as well as an advanced treatment listSights nearby - Well located in the heart of medieval Rome, between Campo de'Fiori and Piazza NavonaRomantic Break - The spa suite offers couples' treatments featuring a private hot tub
A very polished hotel with an excellent spa and contemporary classic rooms. Bedrooms and suites have glossy parquet floors, big comfy beds, exposed beams, and enormous marble bathrooms. Fantastic spa equipped with sauna, hot tub and a menu of therapies. An excellent choice for a modern spa break. See More
Spagna Royal Suite Rome 19 rooms from £149Chic - With playful décor (think, a stiletto-shaped bathtub), live music, & a lively cocktail bar — this is a youthful and vibrant stayRomantic Break - A luxurious, romantic place to stay in the Italian capital, with sleek and stylish suites, funky modern art and design features.Local exploring - The hotel's central location places it within easy reach of Rome's major sights such as the Trevi Fountain and PantheonWellbeing - Book the one of the Classic Wellness rooms for a private sauna or steam bath in-room
A flamboyant hotel in the heart of the Piazza de Spagna, in Rome's city centre. Urbane and luxurious rooms have fashionable Italian furniture and mosaic ensuite bathrooms. Added luxuries in some rooms include saunas or steam rooms. With a chic cocktail bar, this is a youthful city base. See More
Residenze Argileto Rome (Rione Monti) 20 rooms from £207Hideaway - With free access to the spa when you book a room, and a bar and roof terrace on-site, this is a great Roman bolt-holeCity Style - With its design focus and first-class facilities, this boutique hotel oozes Italian city styleRomantic Break - Couples will fall in love with the romantic rooftop terrace and hot tubSights nearby - Visit the ancient Roman Forum and the Colosseum, both a short distance from this hotel
This contemporary design hotel is located in the stylish Monti neighbourhood in Rome. Rooms boast four-poster beds and original artworks, as well as smartphones with local SIM cards. Relax in the hot tub on the hotel's roof terrace before a treatment in the tranquil spa. An upmarket boutique hotel. See More
Palazzo Scanderberg Rome (Trevi) 11 rooms from £208Local exploring - With its fantastic central location, this hotel is the perfect base for local exploring in RomeTotal relaxation - Book a room with a butler at your disposal for total relaxation on your holidayRomantic Break - The chic hotel rooms and helpful, attentive staff score highly with couplesSights nearby - Walk to the nearby Trevi Fountain, an aqueduct-fed rococo fountain designed by Nicola Salvi and completed in 1762Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
This luxury hotel is housed in a 15th-century palazzo in central Rome. Rooms contrast modern, innovative design pieces with original wooden floors and vaults; the best suites offer a private terrace with a butler at your disposal. The impressive Ambassador Suite spans three floors. A chic city stay. See More
Hotel Locarno Rome 83 rooms from £330Hotel Entertainment - Enjoy a few knockout cocktails on the roof terrace boasting spectacular views of the cityRomantic Break - Chic decor, central location and romantic rooftop bar make this an ideal getaway for two!Designer - A stylish Art Deco hotel that's been popular with renowned artists since the 1960sSights nearby - Check out the iconic Piazza del Popolo, located just a few minutes from the hotel
Hotel d'Inghilterra Rome 88 rooms from £259Families - The hotel is part of Starhotels’ V.I.K. (Very Important Kid) programme with free stays for children under 16Romantic Break - Rooftop meals looking over Rome's skyline, opulent suites and cosy bars — perfect for a romantic city breakDesigner Shopping - Right in the centre of the fashion district, this hotel is just steps from Via del Corso shopping streetCity Style - This chic hotel oozes history and old school charm, plus it's minutes from Rome's main attractionsRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Traditional and formal old-time favourite of Hollywood elite. Elegant rooms and suites with silk curtains and antique furnishings. Cafe Romano serves lovely Mediterranean fare and the Bond Bar is a must for a martini! Perfect location below the Spanish Steps, in the middle of the Fashion District. See More
Hotel Majestic Rome (Via Veneto) 97 rooms from £262Romantic Break - The historic hotel building and luxurious interiors create a wonderfully romantic setting for a couple's getawayCity Style - Bask in city style at this heritage hotel; guests love the classial interior design and marble bathroomsLocal exploring - Located close to Piazza Barberini, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringGreat walks - Take a stroll through the beautiful Villa Borghese Park; ask the hotel to prepare a lunch to take with you
This luxury, five-star hotel is a stone's throw from Piazza Barberini. Dating from 1889, the hotel offers plush suites with Wengé wood floors and classical interior design; the best rooms boast a private terrace and whirlpool. Relax in the spa or cocktail bar at this exclusive guesthouse. See More
Singer Palace Rome (Pantheon) 30 rooms from £379Local exploring - Nestled between the Pantheon on one side and the Trevi Fountain on the other, you can't get a more central location than thisCity Style - Housed in a heritage property, updated with contemporary, chic interiors, this hotel has plenty of modern Roman styleRomantic Break - Couples love starting the day on the hotel's beautiful roof terrace with panoramic views of RomeSights nearby - Visit two of Rome's most famous sights, both a short walk from the hotel: the Pantheon and the Trevi FountainRecommended by - Tablet
This hotel occupies a 20th-century palace set between the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain in central Rome. Rooms are warm and stylish with modern Italian furnishings; the best suite offers a private terrace and separate living space. Enjoy breakfast with a view on the rooftop terrace; a chic hotel. See More
Hassler Roma Rome (Spagna) 87 rooms from £635City Style - Overlooking the Spanish Steps and a stone's throw from the Colosseum, you can't get more city style than this hotelRomantic Break - Couples will love the romantic, neoclassical suites, with plush linens and beautiful viewsHoneymoons - Book a presidential suite to enjoy a private hot tub, for a honeymoon with added luxuryRestaurant - The hotel has a Michelin-starred restaurant
This five-star hotel is located in the heart of Rome's city centre. The spacious and elegant suites are dressed in either a modern or neoclassical style; the best have plush living space and a terrace with views over the city. Dine at Imàgo, the hotel's Michelin-starred restaurant; luxury defined. See More