The 20 Best Luxury Hotels in Rome
Impossibly romantic, steeped in history, and with world-renowned food and fashion — Rome is an easy city to enjoy. The city is packed with a huge choice of hotels, many of which are high-end, which can mean selecting the right hotel can take a fair bit of research. However, our hotel experts have done the leg work for you, compiling a collection of the best luxury hotels in Rome selected on their design, amenities, service, and location. Whether you are looking for a converted palazzo or a more contemporary offering, there is something to suit most tastes here. So why not browse through our collection to start planning your next city break?
For all-out luxury
- La Residenza Napoleone offers just two incredibly opulent apartment suites with huge oil paintings, taffeta silks, Baroque furniture, antique lighting and private terraces and kitchens. There’s also an in-house cook and access to a concierge service.
- The Portrait Suites are almost as luxurious but quite the opposite in decor. They’re contemporary and fashionable, with haute couture designer furniture, and located in the heart of the fashion district. The 11 suites also have marble bathrooms, kitchenettes and private terraces.
- The Villa Spalletti Trivelli is a beautiful renovated Roman townhouse, now offering 12 classic, aristocratic rooms complete with marble fireplaces, Doric columns, tapestries and oil paintings. Plus there’s a wonderful library, gardens and spa, and an exceptional restaurant.
For a palazzo
- Hotel Splendide Royal is a luxury hotel occupying a palazzo in Rome's most aristocratic district. Rooms are regally dressed; rich linens and antiques complement the building's original stuccoes. The best suites have a terrace with city views. Enjoy fine dining at the gourmet restaurant. An exclusive Italian guesthouse.
For the restaurant
- Hassler Roma is a five-star hotel located in the heart of Rome's city centre. The spacious and elegant suites are dressed in either a modern or neoclassical style; the best have plush living space and a terrace with views over the city. Dine at Imàgo, the hotel's Michelin-starred restaurant. Luxury defined.
For the views
- The Palazzo Manfredi is a small hotel right next to the Colosseum and Forum, with exceptional views of both from the chic, rooftop restaurant. The 16 rooms, suites and apartments are classic in design and the service is five-star.
- The Eden is a traditional five-star hotel in one of Rome’s most exclusive neighbourhoods. Opulent and old-world in style there are some beautiful details, and of course great service and fantastic views, especially from the rooftop restaurant.
- First Roma Arte is a five-star boutique property located in the heart of Rome. Suites are elegant with contemporary artwork, bookcases, and comfy armchairs adding a homely feel. Choose a luxury suite for a private terrace and hot tub. Expect fabulous views from many of the rooms but the best are enjoyed from the chic rooftop cocktail bar.
For a romantic stay
- The Hotel de Russie overlooking the Piazza del Popolo is a beautiful, contemporary hotel with 122 plush, airy rooms and a beautiful courtyard. There’s also a great restaurant and a lovely pool and spa. A grown-up city escape.
- The San Anselmo is a peaceful, romantic refuge in the smart hilltop Aventine district. There are 34 rooms, decorated with a mix of Baroque flamboyance and contemporary style. It overlooks the peaceful and often overlooked Sant’Anselmo Church, and yet is also within range of many of Rome's main attractions.
- The Hotel Regina is an Art Deco extravaganza on the Via Veneto, close to the Villa Borghese. The interiors are opulent and there’s an excellent restaurant, spa and gym.
For affordable luxury
- The Lord Byron is a wonderful Art Nouveau era property, just by the Borghese Gardens. There are 32 rooms and suites, some with private terraces and marble bathrooms, and all with lovely decor and huge beds. Rooms start from around €170 per night.
For a boutique
- JK Place Roma is a luxurious boutique property boasting a very central location in Rome. Elegant rooms perfectly mix traditional and contemporary styles with simple furniture, crisp white linen, soft hues and modern art. A lively bar serves up innovative cocktails and the restaurant offers a modern take on Italian classics. An intimate choice ideal for exploring the city.
- Fendi Private Suites is a smart boutique with just seven rooms in the Spagna district. The restaurant, Zuma, serves up excellent Japanese fusion cuisine. All the suites are spacious, indulgent, and contemporary. A very stylish choice.
- Hotel Vilon is a small luxury hotel occupying a heritage building annexed to Palazzo Borghese. The 16th-century building has been renovated to offer bright, modern rooms with unique design pieces; the best suites have a terrace with views of the palazzo gardens. Complete with a gourmet restaurant — this is a real crowd-pleaser.
- Singer Palace occupies a 20th-century palace set between the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain in central Rome. Rooms are warm and stylish with modern Italian furnishings, and breakfasts are served with a view on the rooftop terrace — this is a chic boutique.
- Casa Montani is a lovely luxury guesthouse situated overlooking the Piazza del Popolo where they welcome families. The spacious suites and junior suites can easily fit cots or extra beds, alternatively there's a self-catering apartment close by that can sleep four. And location-wise it's perfect, just five minutes from the Spanish Steps and an easy walk from many more of the city's highlights.
- The Inn at The Roman Forum is a beautiful 14 room guesthouse right by the Colosseum with attractive decoration and private balconies. There are rooms, suites and family rooms — some with four-poster beds and fireplaces, and there’s a lovely rooftop terrace.
- Corso 281 is an exclusive hotel occupying an 18th-century building on Via del Corso. Rooms are dressed in an aristocratic style and blend hand-selected design pieces with unique artworks. While there are distinctly adult elements such as the hotel's own gallery, the executive suite can host four people and is ideal for families travelling with children.
- Parco dei Principi is an exclusive hotel and spa situated in Rome's luxury Parioli district. Rooms are classically dressed, with rich linens and plush carpets. Family suites are great for parents travelling with children and kids will love the outdoor pool!
Still not sure which to book?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Rome,
- refine your search by location, to the best hotels in the heart of Old Rome, or our collection of great hotels near the Colosseum.
- Or you might like to consider our recommendations for the best boutique hotels in Rome.
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
La Residenza Napoleone Rome 2 rooms from £633LuxuryOpulentRomantic BreakRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, I Escape
Incredibly opulent apartment suites drenched in old world Italian romance. Huge oil paintings, taffeta silks, lavish beds, Baroque furniture, antique lighting and romantic pastels covering the walls. Each suite has a kitchenette, private terrace, in-house cook and access to a concierge service. See More
Portrait Suites Rome 11 rooms from £555Local exploring - Located right beside the Spanish Steps this is a very central location for exploring the cityCity Style - Owned and designed by the Ferragamo family, this is an unsurprisingly stylish boutique stayDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Luxury boutique suites in Rome's fashion district. Like the shops below, these suites are just as fashionable and come with an equally expensive price tag, with good reason. Each suite boasts enormous space, haute couture designer furniture, marble bathrooms, kitchenettes and private terraces. See More
Villa Spalletti Trivelli Rome 12 rooms from £495City Style - Elegant interiors are traditional and glorious, filled with antiques, this is a very stylish stayFamilies - A multitude of activities for children, including a gelato making classSights nearby - 200m from the Quirinale Presidential Palace and 5 mins from the Trevi fountainLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Tablet
A quintessentially noble Roman townhouse renovated to perfection. Tranquil, classic, and aristocratic rooms, suites, and living areas in a peaceful neighbourhood. Marble fireplaces, oil paintings, Doric columns, tapestries throughout. Excellent food, libraries, gardens, and spa. Very special. See More
Palazzo Manfredi Rome 16 rooms from £276Local exploring - Located besides the Colosseum, as a location, it doesn't get much better than thisFamilies - Children are well looked after with a babysitting service and kids' menus5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Sights nearby - Next to the Colosseum and Roman ForumRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Relais & Chateaux, Tablet
Hotel de Russie Rome 122 rooms from £350Local exploring - With it's central location and range of guided walking and biking tours, this is the perfect launching spot to explore the cityGarden - Stunning terraced gardens where you can dine during the summer monthsRestaurant - Recommended.Spa - Featuring hydropool and Turkish steam bathRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
San Anselmo Rome 34 rooms from £312Hideaway - An off the beaten track location ina residential neighborhood on the Aventine Hill, perfect for a quiet city breakGreat walks - Take a stroll in The Circus Maximus, an ancient Roman chariot racing stadium and mass entertainment venue.Sights nearby - The property overlooks Sant’Anselmo ChurchLively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet
Parco dei Principi Rome (Villa Borghese Parioli) 96 rooms from £288Foodies - Foodies will be won over by the hotel's offering of not one but three on-site restaurants, plus a cosy hotel barFamilies - The hotel's family suites are great for parents travelling with children, and kids will love the outdoor poolRomantic Break - Couples love the high-end facilities at this five-star hotel, especially the sleek and modern hotel spaSights nearby - Visit Chiesa di Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini, a 15th-century church and crypt
This exclusive hotel and spa is situated in Rome's luxury Parioli district. Rooms are classically dressed, with rich linens and plush carpets; the best have a private terrace with panoramic views of the most famous sights. Choose between three restaurants or dine by the pool. An indulgent city stay. See More
Hotel Regina, Rome Rome 127 rooms from £226Local exploring - Enjoy views of the Colosseum or the Sistine Chapel from your luxurious suiteRomantic Break - Book the Margherita Suite for a private terrace complete with a hot tubFoodies - The Brunello Lounge and Restaurant is a favourite with localsSights nearby - Walking distance from the Villa Borghese and Piazza di Spagna
First Hotel Roma Arte Rome (Spagna) 29 rooms from £405Romantic Break - Couples love the homely, inviting feel to this hotel; book a luxury hot tub suite for added indulgence on your romantic getawayLocal exploring - Nestled in the centre of the Eternal City, next to the famous Spanish Steps, this hotel is a great base for local exploringCity Style - With chic, contemporary suites and a rooftop terrace, this hotel has lots of modern Roman styleSights nearby - Visit the nearby Trevi Fountain and the Collosseum, both easy walking distance from this hotelRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This five-star, boutique hotel is located in the heart of Rome by the Eternal Steps. Suites are elegant, with contemporary artwork, bookcases and comfy armchairs adding a homely feel; book a luxury suite for a private terrace and hot tub. Enjoy cocktails at the chic rooftop bar; a stylish city stay. See More
The Inn at The Roman Forum Rome 14 rooms from £160Romantic Break - As the name suggests this property is just a stones throw from one of Rome's major attraction, the Roman ForumHideaway - It may be in the heart of the city, but the quiet alley it sits on feels hiddenSights nearby - Located between the Roman forum and the Colosseum and there's many other attractions in walking distanceRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
Singer Palace Rome (Pantheon) 30 rooms from £379Local exploring - Nestled between the Pantheon on one side and the Trevi Fountain on the other, you can't get a more central location than thisCity Style - Housed in a heritage property, updated with contemporary, chic interiors, this hotel has plenty of modern Roman styleRomantic Break - Couples love starting the day on the hotel's beautiful roof terrace with panoramic views of RomeSights nearby - Visit two of Rome's most famous sights, both a short walk from the hotel: the Pantheon and the Trevi FountainRecommended by - Tablet
This hotel occupies a 20th-century palace set between the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain in central Rome. Rooms are warm and stylish with modern Italian furnishings; the best suite offers a private terrace and separate living space. Enjoy breakfast with a view on the rooftop terrace; a chic hotel. See More
Casa Montani Rome 9 rooms from £149Families - Families are welcome in Casa Montani and its apartment; they can easily fit extra beds and cots in the Suites.Local exploring - Just steps from Piazza del Popolo, Villa Borghese and Via BabuinoGroups - The separate apartment sleeping up to 4 is ideal for small groupsSights nearby - Located in the heart of Rome next to the Piazza del Popolo. Walking distance to many major attractions
Small chic city hideaway opposite the Piazza del Popolo in the heart of Rome. Neutral tones, with silk fabrics, hardwood floors, chic modern art and marble bathrooms. Personalised service from owners Giuseppe and Charlotte. Intimate and luxurious boutique hotel in a great location. See More
Corso 281 Rome (Pantheon) 12 rooms from £423Local exploring - Located in the heart of historic Rome, and close to local shopping streets, this hotel is great for exploring the cityFamilies - The executive suite can host four people and is ideal for families travelling with childrenCity Style - The luxurious design of the suites has guests falling in love with this stylish hotelSights nearby - Visit the nearby Church of St Louis, the French national church in Rome and home to several Caravaggio paintingsRecommended by - Tablet
This exclusive hotel occupies an 18th-century building on Via del Corso. Rooms are dressed in an aristocratic style and blend hand-selected design pieces with unique artworks; the best suites have a pretty terrace with French doors. Discover the hotel gallery's private collection. A stylish break. See More
Lord Byron Rome 32 rooms from £148City Style - An effortlessly stylish hotel designed in an Art Noveau style and located in the upscale Parioli districtGreat walks - Situated just behind the Borghese Gardens, perfect for a strollRestaurant - Fine dining featuring fresh seasonal ingredientsSights nearby - Be sure to take a tour of the Vatican CityRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels, Frommers
JK Place Roma Rome 30 rooms from £360City Style - An elegant boutique hotel located in what was once Rome's school of architecture.Sights nearby - The Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and Medici Villa are all within a 10-minute walk.Great walks - Take a walk through the scenic Borghese Gardens.TraditionalRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A boutique property boasting a very central location in Rome. Elegant rooms perfectly mix traditional and contemporary styles with simple furniture, crisp white linen, soft hues and modern art. A lively bar serves up innovative cocktails and the restaurant offers a modern take on Italian classics. See More
Hotel Splendide Royal Rome (Via Veneto) 68 rooms from £391Honeymoons - For a honeymoon with added indulgence book a suite with a private terrace and this beautiful heritage hotelRomantic Break - Couples immediately fall in love with this hotel's classic design and first-class facilitiesCity Style - Situated in a palazzo in central Rome, this hotel has reams of luxurious Italian styleSights nearby - Gain exclusive access to Vatican City for a tour of the Mosaic Studio of St. Peter’s Basilica, book through the hotelRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
This luxury hotel occupies a palazzo in Rome's most aristocratic district. Rooms are regally dressed; rich linens and antiques complement the building's original stuccoes. The best suites have a terrace with city views. Enjoy fine dining at the gourmet restaurant. An exclusive Italian guesthouse. See More
Hassler Roma Rome (Spagna) 87 rooms from £635City Style - Overlooking the Spanish Steps and a stone's throw from the Colosseum, you can't get more city style than this hotelRomantic Break - Couples will love the romantic, neoclassical suites, with plush linens and beautiful viewsHoneymoons - Book a presidential suite to enjoy a private hot tub, for a honeymoon with added luxuryRestaurant - The hotel has a Michelin-starred restaurant
This five-star hotel is located in the heart of Rome's city centre. The spacious and elegant suites are dressed in either a modern or neoclassical style; the best have plush living space and a terrace with views over the city. Dine at Imàgo, the hotel's Michelin-starred restaurant; luxury defined. See More
Fendi Private Suites Rome 7 rooms from £651City Style - Rome's most stylish destination, with bold design features, indulgent fabrics and a sense of undisputed eleganceLocal exploring - With so many iconic attractions just around the corner there's no excuse not to go sightseeing!Romantic Break - Luxurious and private accommodation with a superb location-perfect for a romantic getaway!Local markets - The Testaccio Market has some cracking food stalls and you can pick up a variety of vintage items at the Borghetto Flaminio
Hotel Vilòn Rome (Spagna) 18 rooms from £619Romantic Break - The romantic views of the palazzo gardens from the cosy rooms make this hotel popular with couplesCity Style - Connected to a renowned, heritage palazzo in Rome, this hotel has plenty of city styleLocal exploring - Set in a central location in Rome, this hotel makes a great base for local exploringSights nearby - Visit the nearby landmark Sant'Agostino, one of the first Roman churches built during the RenaissanceRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Great Small Hotels
This luxury hotel occupies a heritage building annexed to Palazzo Borghese in Rome. The 16th-century building has been renovated to offer bright, modern rooms with unique design pieces; the best suites have a terrace with views of the palazzo gardens. Eat at the gourmet restaurant; a stylish stay. See More