The 13 Best Luxury Hotels in Rome
Impossibly romantic, steeped in history, and with wonderful food and fashion, Rome is an easy city to enjoy. Especially if you’re travelling with a generous budget. There’s no problem finding an exceptional restaurant, bar or cafe in Rome, and there are plenty with Michelin stars, and while many of the sights are free, it’s nice to be able to treat yourself to a special souvenir or two. To start your luxurious Roman holiday you’ll need to find the best luxury hotels in Rome, and our Gurus have done the hard work for you, even refining their favourites down to a recommendation for the 10 best luxury hotels in Rome - all beautiful, stylish and offering all sorts of special somethings to make you feel extra special.
In their search for the best luxury hotels in Rome our Gurus have endured numerous spa treatments, lapped a slew of beautiful swimming pools, sipped a seemingly endless supply of cocktails in breathtakingly beautiful rooftop bars, slept under four-poster canopies, eaten numerous canapés and been waited on hand and foot by the very best staff in Rome. So now they’re ready to bring you their hard won list of the 10 best luxury hotels in Rome!
For All Out Luxury
- La Residenza Napoleone offers just two incredibly opulent apartment suites, with huge oil paintings, taffeta silks, Baroque furniture, antique lighting and private terraces and kitchens. There’s also an in-house cook and access to a concierge service.
- The Portrait Suites are almost as luxurious, but quite the opposite in decor. They’re contemporary and fashionable, with haute couture designer furniture, and located in the heart of the fashion district. The 11 suites also have marble bathrooms, kitchenettes and private terraces.
- The Villa Spalletti Trivelli is a beautiful renovated Roman townhouse, now offering 12 classic, aristocratic rooms complete with marble fireplaces, Doric columns, tapestries and oil paintings. Plus there’s a wonderful library, gardens and spa, and an exceptional restaurant.
Luxury Hotels With the Best Views
- The Palazzo Manfredi is a small hotel right next to the Colosseum and Forum, with exceptional views of both from the chic, rooftop restaurant. The 16 rooms, suites and apartments are classic in design and the service is five star.
- The Eden is a traditional five star hotel in one of Rome’s most exclusive neighbourhoods. Opulent and old world in style there are some beautiful details, and of course great service and fantastic views, especially from the rooftop restaurant.
- In one of the hippest spots in town, G-Rough is both luxurious and hip. This townhouse, built in the 17th Century, still has its beautiful parquet floors and original tiles, but it’s also got a fantastic collection of retro furniture in the 10 rooms. There's a fantastic roof terrace for the views and it’s only 450 metres from the Pantheon, and even closer to the Piazza Navona.
For a romantic stay
- The Hotel de Russie overlooking the Piazza del Popolo, is a beautiful, contemporary hotel with 122 plush, airy rooms and a beautiful courtyard. There’s also a great restaurant and a lovely pool and spa. A grown-up city escape.
- The San Anselmo is a peaceful, romantic refuge in the smart hilltop Aventine district. There are 34 rooms, decorated with a mix of Baroque flamboyance and contemporary style. It overlooks the peaceful and oft overlooked Sant’Anselmo Church, and yet is also within range of many of Rome's main attractions.
- The Hotel Regina is an Art Deco extravaganza on the Via Veneto, close to the Villa Borghese. The interiors are opulent and there’s an excellent restaurant, spa and gym.
For affordable luxury
- The Lord Byron is a wonderful Art Nouveau era property, just by the Borghese Gardens. There are 32 rooms and suites, some with private terraces and marble bathrooms, and all with lovely decor and huge beds. Rooms start from around €170 per night.
- Casa Montani is a lovely luxury guesthouse situated overlooking the Piazza del Popolo where they welcome families. The spacious suites and junior suites can easily fit cots or extra beds, alternativley there's a self catering apartment close by that can sleep four. And location-wise it's perfect, just five minutes from the Spanish Steps and an easy walk from many more of the city's highlights.
- The Inn at The Roman Forum is a beautiful 14 room guesthouse right by the Colosseum with attractive decoration and private balconies. There are rooms, suites and family rooms - some with four poster beds and fireplaces, and there’s a lovely rooftop terrace.
- The Hotel Valadier is a classic modern hotel come to the Spanish Steps and the Villa Borghese. There are 67 rooms, three restaurants and a piano bar. There’s also a magnificent rooftop terrace. Plus, they have their own bikes so you can explore the city on two wheels if you dare!
Still not sure which to book?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Rome,
- refine your search by location, to the best hotels in the heart of Old Rome, or our collection of great hotels near the Colosseum.
- Or you might like to consider our recommendations for the best boutique hotels in Rome.
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
La Residenza Napoleone Rome 2 rooms from £633OpulentRomantic BreakRomantic - Good for couples.LuxuryRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, I Escape
Incredibly opulent apartment suites drenched in old world Italian romance. Huge oil paintings, taffeta silks, lavish beds, Baroque furniture, antique lighting and romantic pastels covering the walls. Each suite has a kitchenette, private terrace, in-house cook and access to a concierge service. See More
Portrait Suites Rome 11 rooms from £555Local exploring - Located right beside the Spanish Steps this is a very central location for exploring the cityCity Style - Owned and designed by the Ferragamo family, this is an unsurprisingly stylish boutique stayDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Luxury boutique suites in Rome's fashion district. Like the shops below, these suites are just as fashionable and come with an equally expensive price tag, with good reason. Each suite boasts enormous space, haute couture designer furniture, marble bathrooms, kitchenettes and private terraces. See More
Villa Spalletti Trivelli Rome 12 rooms from £495City Style - Elegant interiors are traditional and glorious, filled with antiques, this is a very stylish stayFamilies - A multitude of activities for children, including a gelato making classSights nearby - 200m from the Quirinale Presidential Palace and 5 mins from the Trevi fountainLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Tablet
A quintessentially noble Roman townhouse renovated to perfection. Tranquil, classic, and aristocratic rooms, suites, and living areas in a peaceful neighbourhood. Marble fireplaces, oil paintings, Doric columns, tapestries throughout. Excellent food, libraries, gardens, and spa. Very special. See More
Palazzo Manfredi Rome 16 rooms from £276Local exploring - Located besides the Colosseum, as a location, it doesn't get much better than thisFamilies - Children are well looked after with a babysitting service and kids' menus5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Sights nearby - Next to the Colosseum and Roman ForumRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Relais & Chateaux, Tablet
Eden Rome 121 rooms from £321Romantic Break - The opulent and enourmous suites are ideal for a couples hideaway, not to mention the romantic rooftop resturant.Local exploring - Perfectly located for exploing the sights of Rome, close enough to travel by foot or bicycle.Great walks - Visit nearby Borghese Gardens for lovely walking gardens, museums and historic buildings.Sights nearby - Close to the Spanish Steps, one of Rome's most famous sights.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
A five-star luxury hotel in one of Rome's most exclusive areas. Traditionally furnished rooms exude opulence and old world style with bold fabrics, antique furnishings and spectacular views of the city. Unwind in the Piano bar or soak up the skyline in the fine dining rooftop restaurant. Spoiling. See More
G-Rough Rome (Navona) 10 rooms from £479Sights nearby - A stone's throw from the Piazza Navona and just 450m from the PantheonCity Style - Achingly trendy interiors - certainly not one for traditionalists!Local markets - Immerse yourself in the daily marketsFull of characterRecommended by - Tablet
One of the hippest spots in town, at G-Rough you'll find a unique blend of luxury living and trendy design finishes giving this 17th century townhouse a very urban vibe. Parquet floors & original tiles come with an eclectic mix of retro style furniture. Roof terrace for chilling and buzzy bar. See More
Hotel de Russie Rome 122 rooms from £350Local exploring - With it's central location and range of guided walking and biking tours, this is the perfect launching spot to explore the cityGarden - Stunning terraced gardens where you can dine during the summer monthsRestaurant - Recommended.Spa - Featuring hydropool and Turkish steam bathRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
San Anselmo Rome 34 rooms from £312Hideaway - An off the beaten track location ina residential neighborhood on the Aventine Hill, perfect for a quiet city breakGreat walks - Take a stroll in The Circus Maximus, an ancient Roman chariot racing stadium and mass entertainment venue.Sights nearby - The property overlooks Sant’Anselmo ChurchLively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet
Hotel Regina, Rome Rome 127 rooms from £226Local exploring - Enjoy views of the Colosseum or the Sistine Chapel from your luxurious suiteRomantic Break - Book the Margherita Suite for a private terrace complete with a hot tubFoodies - The Brunello Lounge and Restaurant is a favourite with localsSights nearby - Walking distance from the Villa Borghese and Piazza di Spagna
The Inn at The Roman Forum Rome 14 rooms from £160Romantic Break - As the name suggests this property is just a stones throw from one of Rome's major attraction, the Roman ForumHideaway - It may be in the heart of the city, but the quiet alley it sits on feels hiddenSights nearby - Located between the Roman forum and the Colosseum and there's many other attractions in walking distanceRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
Casa Montani Rome 9 rooms from £149Families - Families are welcome in Casa Montani and its apartment; they can easily fit extra beds and cots in the Suites.Local exploring - Just steps from Piazza del Popolo, Villa Borghese and Via BabuinoGroups - The separate apartment sleeping up to 4 is ideal for small groupsSights nearby - Located in the heart of Rome next to the Piazza del Popolo. Walking distance to many major attractions
Small chic city hideaway opposite the Piazza del Popolo in the heart of Rome. Neutral tones, with silk fabrics, hardwood floors, chic modern art and marble bathrooms. Personalised service from owners Giuseppe and Charlotte. Intimate and luxurious boutique hotel in a great location. See More
Hotel Valadier Rome 67 rooms from £113Local exploring - Well located in the heart of historic Rome just a short walk from the ColosseumCity Style - With elegant design and its own piano bar this is a grand central stayGood wine list - Four hundred different wine labelsSights nearby - The Vatican City and Colosseum are three kilometres away but it's a pleasant walk or a short taxi ride
Classic hotel with modern comforts next to Piazza del Popolo and close to the Spanish Steps & Villa Borghese. Three restaurants and a piano bar. The magnificent roof terrace has wonderful views of Rome. Cool bar and classy restaurant Hi-Res with gourmet cuisine. Great location for a short stay. See More
Lord Byron Rome 32 rooms from £148City Style - An effortlessly stylish hotel designed in an Art Noveau style and located in the upscale Parioli districtGreat walks - Situated just behind the Borghese Gardens, perfect for a strollSights nearby - Be sure to take a tour of the Vatican CitySecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels, Frommers