Venice's 16 Best Guesthouses
Magical, ethereal Venice is a supremely special place to stay. One of the things our Hotel Gurus recommend time and time again is that this is a place one should get lost amongst. Though we suggest you might leave a trail of something inedible in your wake, so you can find your way back to your lodgings… In Venice our Gurus also recommend considering a guesthouse stay. Venice is full of small guesthouses and B&Bs, and these conversions of townhouses and palazzos offer an opportunity for guests to experience a stay that’s a bit more authentically Venetian. Their list of Venice’s best guesthouses includes some extremely well priced rooms — to thwart the notion that Venice must be super expensive! — some extremely romantic ones, some rooms of family-sized proportions, gorgeously converted palazzos, and some real winners with wonderful water views.
For your First Time in Venice
- Opulent, romantic and traditional, Gio & Gio feels suitably Venetian, with its tapestries, oil paintings, antiques, heavy fabrics and gigantic beds. There are just three rooms and suites, our favourite has canal views and a Juliet balcony — it just cries out Venice! And you’re only a few streets from the Rialto and St. Mark’s Square.
- In the heart of the San Marco district, Locanda Fiorita is a Venetian townhouse with decor that blends 18th century style with 21st century comforts. There are ten rooms and suites, some more romantic than others, and some with private balconies, plus there’s a communal terrace which is gloriously sunny.
- Casin dei Nobili is a newly renovated, three room B&B in a beautiful old palazzo in historic Dorsoduro, a few blocks from the Grand Canal. The rooms are large and simply styled, with big new bathrooms and whirlpool bathtubs. There’s a communal terrace with river views, and a simple, light breakfast room. Two of the suites can be combined to make a large, family suite.
- Palazzo Soderini is a charming old palazzo with surprisingly slick and contemporary interiors. If you prefer white on white decor, clever lighting and sleek, design furniture, then this is the palazzo for you. The location is great, in a quieter, more residential part of Venice — you can tell by the prices in the local shops and restaurants — but it’s still only around 500 metres from the Bridge of Sighs, the Doge’s Palace and St. Mark’s Basilica.
- Cima Rosa is a traditional Venetian palazzo dating from the 15th century, with wooden beams, marble statues in the courtyard garden, and views of the Grand Canal. There are just three rooms, all elegantly decorated in chic simple style. The Santa Croce neighbourhood is convenient for all the main sights, and the owners are very approachable and fonts of local knowledge.
- Ca del Nobile is a simple, comfortable B&B just two minutes' walk from the Piazza San Marco, and five from the Rialto. The six bedrooms feature wooden beams, antique and vintage furniture, exposed brick walls, and are decorated with creamy colours and heavy fabrics.
- Bloom & Settimo Cielo captures some of the opulence of old Venice, but without feeling staid or stuffy, yet also offers all the mod cons and beautifully big bathrooms — something you can’t always guarantee in Venice. The roof terrace has wonderful views: it’s the perfect spot to watch the mist unfurl in the mornings, or sit up here with your complimentary bottle of Prosecco at sunset.
- The Novecento is a chic, seductive B&B, with a hint of the orient in the decor and the smell of Marrakech in the air. Its nine rooms feel traditional and romantic, and the location is excellent, close to many of the main sights. A generous breakfast is served daily in a pretty courtyard.
For Palazzo Style
- The Palazzo Vitturi is one of the oldest palazzos in Venice, just a stones throw from the Piazza San Marco. Now a very spacious, very comfortable guesthouse, the decor has cleverly combined original frescoes, terazzo floors, vast windows and painted ceilings with contemporary soft furnishings and a pastel palette, to make it feel luxurious as well as historic. 16 rooms and suites complete with picture.
- Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo is an intimate hideaway with just 15 rooms, spanning two properties on either side of a canal. Traditional, and characterful, it’s also close to the San Stae vaporetto stop, and a great spot for exploring Venice on foot. There’s a courtyard garden, which some rooms look out upon, and is delicious in the summer. The decor is typically Venetian, with plenty of gilt and upholstered surfaces.
For Water Views
- The Residenza de L'Osmarin is a small and homely B&B with friendly hosts and just three rooms and a suite. All rooms have parquet floors, wooden beams, canal views, and lots of natural light, and the suite has a private roof terrace.
- Ca Della Corte is a typically Venetian townhouse turned B&B, with a collection of 11 rooms, suites and apartments. Amongst them the rooms have frescoes, private balconies, oil paintings and chandeliers; the apartments can sleep up to seven and have self catering facilities. There’s a beautiful communal courtyard, and a roof terrace too.
- La Villeggiatura is an elegant, but family-friendly B&B close to the Rialto. The friendly owners let just six rooms of this third floor apartment; all of them are different and include thoughtful touches and details, and lots of light. Breakfast is served in a big table in the sunny dining area.
- The GKK Exclusive Private Suites are a collection of six suites housed in an historic building overlooking the Grand Canal. The rooms are dressed with contemporary Venetian style, with damask style wallpaper and classically shaped furnishings. Our favourite rooms have fancy, free-standing bathtubs and pretty private terraces.
- Suite 735 is a stylishly decorated, four room B&B in the arty Dorsoduro neighbourhood. There’s something of a 50s feel to the shape of the furnishings, and you can still see the original features shining through. Breakfast is served on the pretty terrace.
For Great Value
- 3749 Ponte Chiodo is a small, friendly guesthouse in Cannaregio, which is a more residential, less touristy, part of Venice, about ten minutes stroll from the Rialto, and well placed for the railway station. There are just six rooms, all very Venetian, with slightly ornate details, and small bathrooms. The communal areas are very welcoming, and you can help yourself to a hot drink, fruit or cake any time of day. They serve breakfast at a large communal table, or in the garden.
Still not sure where to book?
- You could browse our recommendations for all the best places to stay in Venice
- or peruse our Venetian collections, including the Best Palazzo Hotels in Venice, the Best Hotels near San Marco or the Most Luxurious Hotels in Venice
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo Venice 10 rooms from £100Value chic - Reasonably priced classic Venetian rooms, filled with antique furnishings and fine fabrics, with a charming central courtyard.Romantic Break - The hotels suite comes with canopied bed, Murano chandeliers, balcony overlooking the canal and whirlpool bath!Great walks - Venice is a great city for wandering, explore the narrow cobbled lanes and alleys.Sights nearby - A ten minute walks brings you to Venice's oldest and most famous bridge, Rialto.Recommended by - Fodors
Small but oozing character, this privately owned hotel offers two floors of traditional bedrooms in well-located setting for city explores. The charming rooms have 18th Century furniture overlooking a pretty and private courtyard. An intimate, romantic find in the heart of the city. See More
Novecento, Venice Venice (Campo San Maurizio) 9 rooms from £165Romantic Break - This unique and charming hotel marries romance, style and unbeatable location to produce a perfect getaway for two.Local exploring - No better place in the world to wander, get lost and discover, just a short walk from St. Mark's Square.Artworks - Regular exhibitions featuring local and national artists.Local markets - Check out Rialto Market where you can get everything from artisan masks to the perfect cup of coffee.Recommended by - I Escape, Michelin Travel
La Villeggiatura Venice 6 rooms from £182City Style - Venetian style with a twist- think Persian rugs, bold fabrics, charming frescoes, pretty glass lamps and parquet floors.Sights nearby - Steps from The Rialto Bridge and just one km from the Basilica of San Marco and the Doge's Palace.Local markets - A short walk from the hisotric Rialto market, supplying Venice with fresh produce since 1097.Great walks - Venice is a wonderful city to wander, get lost and find hidden jems.Recommended by - Fodors, Sawdays
3749 Ponte Chiodo Venice (Cannaregio) 6 rooms from £87Local exploring - The untouristy Cannaregio area gives easy access to central Venice but also plenty of restaurants and sights to explore locallyValue chic - Excellent value for money in the centre of Venice with rooms from as little as €70 including breakfastSights nearby - Rialto Bridge is just 10 minutes' walk away, and all of Venice's highlights are within easy reachViews - Lovely views either over the garden or canalsRecommended by - Fodors
Ca della Corte Venice 11 rooms from £103Local exploring - You're right in the heart of it all here! Guests are given excellent local maps and plenty of local titbitsValue chic - Expect classic Venitian style at a fraction of the price for a central city stayLocal markets - Stroll to the Rialto fish and produce market and sample local dishesSights nearby - Walking distance of the Rialto Bridge and San Marco areaRecommended by - I Escape
Bloom & Settimo Cielo Venice 6 rooms from £120Local exploring - Located walking distance from the Grand Canal and the Accademia museum among many other major sightsCity Style - This is undeniably cool property mixing elegant Venitian style with chic contemporary designSights nearby - Just a 5 minute walk from the Grand Canal and 10 minutes from St Mark's SquareViews - Fantastic views over the city from the roof terraceRecommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Gorgeous boutique B&Bs - one B&B on each floor, but they share the same reception. Similarly opulent bedrooms in striking colours with rich fabrics. The roof terrace is a very special outpost with views over Venice which can be accompanied by a bottle of complimentary prosecco! Stylish and romantic. See More
Palazzo Soderini Venice 4 rooms from £130Local exploring - A wonderfully quiet location, yet still all of Venice's highlights are easily accessibleGarden - Internal courtyard and gardenSights nearby - A stone's throw from St Mark's SquareLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Gio & Gio Venice (Calle de le Ostreghe) 3 rooms from £104Groups - With just three rooms this is a perfect option for groups wanting to rent the whole thing outLocal exploring - An authentic Venitian home set just five minutes from St Mark's SquareRomantic Break - Pick the Junior suite for its canal views and Juliet balconySights nearby - Close to St Mark's Square, the Fenice Theatre and the Grand CanalRecommended by - I Escape
Residenza de l'Osmarin Venice 3 rooms from £143Sights nearby - 5 mins walk from St Mark's SquareViews - Canal views from most roomsLocal markets - Good for local colour.Traditional
Locanda Fiorita Venice (San Marco) 10 rooms from £148Romantic Break - A romantic and charming getaway for two, with elegant suites, private balconies and a sunny terrace.Local markets - Browse the local Venetian markets and pick up a few treasures to bring home with you.Sights nearby - Rialto Bridge and Basilica San Marco are both within 15 minutes walk.Romantic - Good for couples.
Charming B&B located in heart of the Saint Marco district of Venice. The rooms are elegant and their 18th-century Venetian style reflects the rich culture of the city. With a great location close to Piazza Saint Marco and the Accademia Gallery, it's an unmissable Venetian option. See More
Cima Rosa Venice 3 rooms from £156Sights nearby - Great location in the Santa Croce neighbourhood. Easy access to all of Venice's top attractions with a Vaporetta stop close by.Outstanding location - Cima Rosa is right on the Grand CanalGreat walks - Secret Gardens of Venice Walking TourSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Sawdays
Traditional 15th century Palazzo with views of the Grand Canal. Three elegant rooms with a charming blend of antique furniture & contemporary features and a charming outdoor courtyard, perfect for evening drinks. A great base for a city break - owners have lots of local knowledge. See More
Hotel Palazzo Vitturi Venice (Castello) 16 rooms from £174Local exploring - Situated close to Piazza San Marco, this hotel is in a great location for sightseeing in VeniceCity Style - This historic hotel boasts many of the palazzo's original features, a beacon of Venetian styleRomantic Break - Couples love the hotel's heritage feel and the attentive on-site staffSights nearby - Visit the nearby Basilica dei Santi Giovanni e Paolo, a vast, Gothic church filled with artworksRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This hotel occupies one of the oldest palazzos in Venice. Situated a stone's throw from Piazza San Marco, the building's original frescoes are complemented by modern soft furnishings in a regal palette. Start the day with breakfast overlooking Campo Santa Maria Formosa. An elegant boutique hotel. See More
Ca del Nobile Venice 6 rooms from £195Short break - Simple but charming hotel, centrally located, great for a short stayCity Style - Charming place from which to explore VeniceSights nearby - Situated in the heart of the city just behind St Mark's SquareLocal markets - Good for local colour.
A small, simple and comfortable, B & B in the heart of Venice. Central yet quiet, two minutes walk from St. Mark’s Square and five from the Rialto. Creamy bedrooms with a Baroque twist - wooden beams, vintage furniture and exposed brick walls. Understated charm, perfect for a weekend city break. See More
GKK Exclusive Private Suites Venice (San Polo) 6 rooms from £199Hideaway - Set within a cosy interior passage and with only 6 rooms, this B&B is a great hideaway hotel optionCity Style - With contemporary interiors inspired by Venetian style, this hotel makes a fashionable stayRomantic Break - Book the Grand Canal suite for romantic views over the canal from your own private terraceSights nearby - Visit the Santo Stefano church, an expansive, Gothic, 13th-century church known for its Renaissance paintingsRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This cosy boutique hotel sits within a heritage building overlooking the Grand Canal. Rooms are dressed in a modern Venetian style, with patterned wallpaper and contemporary Italian furnishings. The most exclusive suites have a free-standing, designer bathtub and pretty private terrace. A chic stay. See More
Casin Dei Nobili Venice (Dorsoduro) 3 rooms from £243Local exploring - The B&B is within walking distance of all of Venice's main attractions, as well as plenty of restaurantsRomantic Break - The B&B prides itself on impeccable service and luxury rooms, making this ideal for a romantic breakFamilies - Two of the suites can be combined into one for familiesSights nearby - The B&B is located within Venice's historic centre, and is within short walking distance of all of the city's must-see sights
This newly renovated B&B is situated in the heart of Venice's historic centre. Located in an ancient Venetian palace, it offers a luxurious and relaxing stay, within walking distance of Venice's main attractions. Each of the large, modern suites boast their own whirlpool, and breakfast is included. See More
Suite 735 Venice (Fondamenta Venier Sebastiano) 4 rooms from £436City Style - The art deco style of this hotel sets it apart from most, and marries with the trendy district where it is locatedFamilies - The biggest suite can host up to four guests, perfect for a small familyLocal exploring - Perfecty placed for exploring the winding alleys of Venice on footSights nearby - Visit the Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute, a spectacular, domed, baroque church
This boutique hotel is housed in a historic palazzo in the arty neighbourhood of Dorsoduro. The hotel has been renovated in an Art Deco style, with inspiration from aspects of traditional Venetian interior design and a 50s finish. Enjoy breakfast on the pretty hotel terrace. A stylish concept hotel. See More