Best hotels in San Marco
“The finest drawing-room in Europe” was how Napoleon summed up Piazza San Marco. Indeed, this central piazza of Venice is surrounded by some of the city’s finest treasures - the exotic Basilica di San Marco, its Campanile (known from a thousand postcards), the magnificent Doge’s Palace, the infamous Bridge of Sighs, a clutch of museums… to name just a few. So to choose one of the best hotels in San Marco is to be right at the heart of the action.
But the Piazza, which opens out onto the waterfront, and the surrounding streets, canals and bridges - including the Rialto Bridge - of the San Marco district are stuffed with treasures: San Salvatore church with its Titian paintings, Fortuny Museum in its gorgeous palazzo, the Palazzo Grassi art museum, plus numerous small squares and markets. As a result, of course, it is the most tourist-congested place in the city!
Best hotels in San Marco
For great value
- Tiny Gio & Gio is a steal. With rooms that are either bold and designer or hung with tapestries and oil paintings it is minutes from St Mark’s Square. Breakfast-only but plenty of eating places in all directions.
- The family-run Hotel Flora charms and disarms. Rooms are traditional but light and fresh, and there’s a seductive garden; perfect for breakfasts and evening aperitifs. A good family choice, too.
- Ca del Nobile is another good family choice. Just behind St Mark’s Square, its six airy rooms have exposed rafters and a mix of antique and classic furnishings.
Best mid range hotels
- With its hidden roof terrace and chic, boutique-style bedrooms, Bloom & Settimo Cielo are two great-value, central Venice choices (B&Bs that share the same reception). Rooms are boldly coloured - expect purple, fuchsia, black-and-gold - and hung with rich fabrics, and the rooftop views terrific.
- Tucked down a small street and with a whiff of the Orient about the decorations, the nine-bedroom Novecento is a lovely little romantic hideaway. Breakfast in the courtyard on sunny days..
- There’s more exoticism to be found in AD Place, a B&B where rooms mix bold stripes, slinky fabrics and sultry colours with gilded mirrors and elaborate bedheads. There’s a gorgeously tiny rooftop terrace, too.
Best luxury hotels in San Marco
- Right on the Riva degli Shiavoni, five minutes stroll from St Mark’s Square and with uninterrupted views across the lagoon, Hotel Londra Palace offers sleek bedrooms with original artwork and Biedermeier furnishings. Tchaikovsky was so enchanted with the setting, he wrote his Fourth Symphony here. An excellent people-watching spot, particularly from the restaurant terrace.
- Two hotels that rival one another for both luxury and peerless views are the Gritti Palace and Bauer Il Palazzo. The world-renowned Gritti Palace, a former 15th-centruy Doge’s palace, has all the tradition, sumptuousness and flawless service that you would expect. An evening drink on the terrace gazing at the Santa Maria della Salute will stay long in the memory.
- Others would argue that there is nothing so romantic as dining on the waterfront terrace of the Pisis restaurant of the nearby Bauer Il Palazzo, also with a faultless Grand Canal location. Bedrooms are rich, sumptuous and with a contemporary-lavish edge. There’s also a rooftop Jacuzzi.
If you’re going to stay in Venice, many would argue, then you have to be in the centre and this guide to the best hotels in San Marco points you in the right direction. If there's nothing here that fits the bill, then extend your search to include all our Venice recommendations, or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Gio & Gio Venice (Calle de le Ostreghe) 3 rooms from £139Groups - With just three rooms this is a perfect option for groups wanting to rent the whole thing outLocal exploring - An authentic Venitian home set just five minutes from St Mark's SquareRomantic Break - Pick the Junior suite for its canal views and Juliet balconySights nearby - Close to St Mark's Square, the Fenice Theatre and the Grand CanalRecommended by - I Escape
Hotel Flora, Venice Venice, NOT TO SHOW 40 rooms from £109Families - With family rooms, cots, changing tables and strollers and even a special kiddies afternoon tea included in the price!Value chic - Centrally located 17th century hotel, with damask tapestries and Murano chandeliers, plus beautiful courtyard garden.Sights nearby - The famed Piazza San Marco just a short walk away.Full of characterRecommended by - Frommers
Charming, traditional family run hotel with an enchanting garden and traditional feel. Classical rooms offer comfort and private bathrooms. The vast breakfast buffet is highly recommended as are cocktails in the leafy courtyard . Well suited to families, good value not far from the action. See More
Ca del Nobile Venice 6 rooms from £195Short fly break - Simple but charming hotel, centrally located, great for a short stayCity Style - Charming place from which to explore VeniceSights nearby - Situated in the heart of the city just behind St Mark's SquareLocal markets - Good for local colour.
A small, simple and comfortable, B & B in the heart of Venice. Central yet quiet, two minutes walk from St. Mark’s Square and five from the Rialto. Creamy bedrooms with a Baroque twist - wooden beams, vintage furniture and exposed brick walls. Understated charm, perfect for a weekend city break. See More
Bloom & Settimo Cielo Venice 6 rooms from £120Local exploring - Located walking distance from the Grand Canal and the Accademia museum among many other major sightsCity Style - This is undeniably cool property mixing elegant Venitian style with chic contemporary designSights nearby - Just a 5 minute walk from the Grand Canal and 10 minutes from St Mark's SquareViews - Fantastic views over the city from the roof terraceRecommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Gorgeous boutique B&Bs - one B&B on each floor, but they share the same reception. Similarly opulent bedrooms in striking colours with rich fabrics. The roof terrace is a very special outpost with views over Venice which can be accompanied by a bottle of complimentary prosecco! Stylish and romantic. See More
Novecento, Venice Venice (Campo San Maurizio) 9 rooms from £165Romantic Break - This unique and charming hotel marries romance, style and unbeatable location to produce a perfect getaway for two.Local exploring - No better place in the world to wander, get lost and discover, just a short walk from St. Mark's Square.Artworks - Regular exhibitions featuring local and national artists.Local markets - Check out Rialto Market where you can get everything from artisan masks to the perfect cup of coffee.Recommended by - I Escape, Michelin Travel
AD Place Venice 12 rooms from £148Honeymoons - Special honeymoon packages are offered to newlyweds with everything thought of from in-room roses to romantic day tripsGroups - Apartments sleeping upto four people make this a great choice for small groupsSights nearby - Stroll down to St Mark's Square and admire the architectureViews - Great views from hotel
Hotel Londra Palace Venice 53 rooms from £256Writing a novel - Countless artists and authors have drawn inspiration from the hotel, including Tchaikovsky, who wrote his Fourth Symphony here.Romantic Break - Sumptuous suites, spectacular views, chic dining and beds that are almost impossible to pull yourself out of.City Style - Located on Promenade of Riva degli Schiavoni with Biedermeier style interiors and views of the Londra Palace.Sights nearby - The famed Piazza San Marco is just around the corner, as is the Doge’s Palace.Recommended by - Tablet, Frommers, Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel, Relais & Chateaux, Fodors
140 years of history meets 21st century luxury. Large, comfortable rooms enjoy views of St. Mark’s Basin. Foodies can indulge in the fine dining menu whilst interior design lovers will appreciate the lavish, Venetian decor. Centrally located, St. Mark's Square is but a five minute walk away. See More
Gritti Palace Venice 82 rooms from £538Honeymoons - Magnificant suites with hand-blown chandeliers, fine fabrics and balconies overlooking Santa Maria della Salute.Views - Overlooking one of Venice's most famed churches, Santa Maria della Salute.Sights nearby - Nearby San Marco district is perfect for exploring by foot.Outstanding locationRecommended by - Frommers, Fodors
Former 15th Century Doge's palace turned beautiful hotel for all. Classically styled rooms have views to die for and spectacular marble bathrooms. Tradition and elegance meet at the fine dining restaurant, with seating over the main canal. A romantic hotel with a great location. See More
Bauer Il Palazzo Venice 82 rooms from £395Restaurant - Enjoy stunning views of the Grand Canal below with your dinner.Views - Views of the Grand Canal.Sights nearby - Two minutes from the iconic “drawing room of Europe,” St Mark's Square.Restrictions on children - Children cannot be accommodated at the hotel.Recommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel