Marrakech with a View: 10 Best Hotel Roof Terraces in Marrakech
Marrakech really does have everything a visitor could want. Sun, culture, commerce, adventure and a chance to try something new. It also has every kind of place to stay you can imagine - from basic hostels where you can sleep beside Berber traders fresh off the camel, to resorts as luxurious as anything you can imagine with some of the best hotel roof terraces in Marrakech.
So how to choose? Well, how about by paring back to what's really important? If you want to feel as if you're staying right in amongst the excitement of this frenetic and colourful city you need to stay somewhere with a roof terrace.
Peering out over your city from the comfort of a private terrace is an energising and enlightening experience. This city is fascinating to watch from a bird's eye view, and if it all gets too much for you cast your eyes towards the mountains for a glimpse of serenity.
The 10 Best Hotel Roof Terraces in Marrakech
Roof terrace with a view
As well as being a place to unwind after a busy days foray into the souks, and somewhere to lay out and go over your purchases, your hotel roof terrace is a wonderful place to explore Marrakech from. Remotely. Many of our favourites offer mouthwatering medina views and from others the vistas stretch beyond the city to the mountains in the distance.
- Dar Les Cigognes is in one of the oldest parts of the Marrakech Medina, right opposite the Royal Palace and it's numerous nesting storks, providing a fabulous view across the Medina from a delightful rooftop garden of orange trees and bourgainvillea.
- If you believe breakfast is the most important meal of the day, then Riad Tchaikana is probably for you. They serve their wonderful traditional pancakes on the roof terrace overlooking the medina, and the mountains beyond - and what could be a better start to a day exploring Marrakech.
The Best Traditional Riad Roof Terraces in Marrakech
A stunning roof terrace is one of the best features of a traditional riad. Which is technically supposed to have a garden as well. What you can also guarantee from this selection of our recommendations is a palatial courtyard, a plunge pool and a hammam.
- Riyad el Cadi is an oasis of clean calm in a cacophonous city. Its whitewashed walls, fine furniture and art are spread through several interconnected mansions, connected by a maze of corridors and sun terraces, culminating in one of the the best roof terraces in the city.
- Small, and perfectly located in the heart of the medina, the Riad Zolah is a traditional Moroccan home, but with modern comforts. As well as the obligatory roof terrace, it also has two central courtyards, a plunge pool and a hammam.
- Riad Honey's roof terrace is at its best at dusk, when lanterns bring a glow to the place, and you can see the city alight below you. A traditionally decorated riad, Riad Honey is in a quiet, un-touristy part of old town Marrakech, so it feels like a step back in time.
The Best Hotels Roof Terrace Pools in Marrakech
It might not be surprising that there are so few pools on roof terraces in Marrakech - these beautiful old buildings were designed with cool interior courtyards for their water features. But if you want to sunbathe there's really no where nicer to do it than by the pool on a roof terrace.
- The Villa des Orangers has two pools, one on the rooftop sun terrace - maybe it's the influence of the French owners? The decor feels very Moroccan though, with rich decorations and a truly beautifully tiled hammam. As well as the two pools there's plenty of other outdoor space here - orange tree filled patios and inner courtyards and several of the larger rooms also have private terraces.
The Best Hotels with Private Roof Terraces in Marrakech
What could be more romantic than a roof terrace of one's own? Whether for enjoying a cosy diner a deux or simply soaking up the sunset.....
- Riad Kaiss is romantic and secluded, but it's also quite unique - this building was originally built as a harem. Now, that might not sound too romantic to you, but the elegant conversion has kept some of the wonderful latticework, and arranged, as it is, around a beautiful courtyard and series of sun terraces, it's really very charming and relaxing. Its suites also have some of the loveliest private hotel roof terraces in Marrakech. And if it's a romantic trip you're planning it's worth splashing out - the riad's food is superb, and they'll serve you al fresco meals for two on your terrace.
- For roof terrace luxury it's hard to beat Riad El Fenn. Owned by Vanessa Branson, the design is a lush fusion of traditional Moroccan opulence with a bit of English comfortable restraint - and modern art. The hammam is a quiet haven - this building was once a fortress and the walls are a metre thick. The food is sourced in the riad's own garden. And upstairs, on the roof terrace, you'l find an ocean of Berber pillows to fall into.
- If you're travelling with a group, five room Riad al Bushra is the perfect size to book out entirely - thus getting one Marrakech's best roof terraces entirely to yourself! Intimately laid out, the owner/ manager has taken care to retain many of the original features of this beautiful riad. And the atmosphere is geared to make you feel entirely at home, just in gorgeous surrounds.
The Best Value Hotels with Roof Terraces in Marrakech
- Riad Dar One is right in the heart of the medina, with close up views of the Bahia palace from its roof terrace. Some of the walls are high, and it's shaded with a sail, but in some places the view spreads below you for miles. Riad Dar One has been luxuriously decorated with a contemporary flair, so it's an excellent choice if you prefer things simple and reasonably priced.
- Riyad Edward has the tallest rooftop garden in the medina, so if you want views, this is perfect. From there you can look down into the medina, or on the other side the inviting courtyard below. The rooms here are simple, traditional and charming - with many of the original tiles, doors and other features - and it's exceptionally well priced, with rooms starting from just £50 per night.
If you're picturing yourself of an evening, looking out from one of the best hotel roof terraces in Marrakech, chilled glass of wine in hand… Before you get too carried away it's worth mentioning that not all riads have a license to serve alcohol. So check before you book. Or opt for uncovering roof terrace bars like the excellent Kosybar, which overlooks the Place de la Fourt, close to the Badi Palace. It has two roof terraces, the top one is at the top of a narrow spiral staircase right above the city walls.
And, if you haven't found your idea of the perfect place to stay in Marrakech on our list of the 10 Best Hotel Roof Terraces in Marrakech you could:
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Marrakech?
- Or refine your search to the best hotels in the Palmeraie? or to Marrakech's Best Medina Hotels?
- Or you might want to consider our Guru's recommendations for 20 of the Best Riads in Marrakech? or 15 of the Best Boutique Hotels in Marrakech? or 10 of Marrakech's Best Hammams and Spas?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
The 10 Best Hotel Roof Terraces in Marrakech
Riyad Edward Medina, NOT TO SHOW 9 rooms from £52
A delightful Bohemian and old fashioned riyad just outside the centre of the Medina. The tallest rooftop garden in the medina makes up for simple rooms that are wonderfully inexpensive. Fantastic views over the city and a beautiful swimming pool.Value chicSpa - Hammam and yoga lessons.Swimming Pool - Courtyard plunge poolTraditional
Riad Dar One Marrakech, NOT TO SHOW 6 rooms from £78
Beautifully renovated riad in the heart of the medina. Small, contemporary and undeniably hip. Rooms have earthy tones, geometric lights and oh-so soft sheets. The pretty rooftop is the perfect breakfast spot. Exemplary service. Ideal for a romantic getaway.Value chic - A sleek and glamorous Raid in the Jewish quarter, boasting bold contemporary design, at very reasonable ratesSights nearby - The Palais de Bahia, Royal Palace and the Kasbah are walking distance from the hotel.Local markets - Get lost in the warren alleyways of the souks and shop til you drop.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Riyad el Cadi Marrakech (Dabachi) 15 rooms from £125
Calm, stylish refuge filled with fine furniture and art. Beautiful white washed patios and roof top sun terrace. A place of tranquility and calm. Its accommodations are well suited for families. A stay in history, amidst history.City Style - Five stunning 14th-century Riads, with enchanting interiors, cool leafy courtyard and tented roofterrace, right in the Medina.Local exploring - Just around the corner from the all-singing, all-dancing, fire-eating, snake-charming, food-vending madness of Djemaa el-Fna.Artworks - Lofty architecture, museum-worthy textiles, historic objects d’art and original frescoed featuresLocal markets - Explore the wonderful and wild souks haggle over an array of textiles, carpets, leatherwork, spices and jewellery.Recommended by - I Escape
Riad Zolah Marrekech, NOT TO SHOW 6 rooms from £94
A boutique riad in a fantastic location. Seemless mix of traditional Moroccan decoration and modern comforts. Two central courtyard patios, relaxing rooftop terrace with loungers, a plunge pool and small hammam. An intimate spot for a romantic break.Romantic Break - A charming converted mansion, with suites boasting open fireplaces and private terraces as well as romantic rooftop dining.Sights nearby - Just a ten minute walk to the famed Jamaâ El Fna square, bursting with life and action at any time of the day or night.Local markets - Right in the heart of the old city, within walking distance of the local souks.Swimming Pool - Courtyard pool
Riad Honey Marrakech, NOT TO SHOW 8 rooms from £43
Simple but stylish rooms in a well-located and inexpensive riad over looking the Medina. Oriental rugs, wrought iron beds and rich cottons make up the truly authentic surroundings. Rooms look over the lovely inner courtyard where you are served delicious local food. Perfect, and without pretensionsValue chic - Charming rustic chic Oriental style rooms overlooking the quaint inner courtyard, yummy food and the BEST location.Great walks - The Majorelle Garden is a twelve-acre botanical garden and artist's landscape garden is under five minutes away.Sights nearby - The hotel balconies command wonderful views of the Medina, or walled section of the city.Local markets - Just a 15 minute walk to the bustling square and market place, Jamaa el Fna.
Villa des Orangers Marrakech (Place Ben Tachfine) 6 rooms from £223
Smart French-owned hotel with authentic Moroccan decoration. Sophisticated rooms with rich Moroccan-style wooden furnishings, beautiful and luxurious hammam, and inner courtyards for relaxing. A destination for wellbeing and pampering.Great walks - Wander around the Djemaa el Fna bursting with fire breathers, snake charmers, belly dancers and street vendors.Spa breaks - The lavish spa treatments are professional and totally spoiling, nevermind the Hamamm and multipile pools.City Style - An elegant Riad, minutes from the main attractions, with an exclusive feel and first rate amenities.LuxuryRecommended by - I Escape, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
Riad Kaiss Marrakech (Riad Zitoun Kedim) 9 rooms from £139
Magnificent, traditional riad in the Medina with easy access to the historic sites. Stunning rooms with exquisite touches, sun-drenched roof-tops, peace, calm and beauty.ChicCity StyleSwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolKids Club - Fully staffed.
El Fenn Marrakech 28 rooms from £217
Unique understated bohemian hipness meets flawless service in this sprawling interlinked 5-riad strong hotel owned by Vanessa Branson, on the edge of the Marrakech medina. Lounge out in one of the vast colourful suites, 7000 ft roof terrace or hip rooftop restaurant with views of the Atlas MountainsHoneymoons - Stunning suites and spectacular views, spa treatments and belly dancers plus unbeatable food- what more could you want?Chic - An arty riad filled with British modern art and Moroccan collectables.Roof terrace - Magical views at night.WellbeingRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Kiwi Collection
Riad al Bushra Marrakech (Mouassine) 5 rooms from £78
Intimate newly restored riad in the heart of the Medina. All suite accommodation at very reasonable prices, just a stone's throw from Marrakech's major attractions. Roof terrace and plunge pool for relaxing. Book the whole place and throw a party to remember!Sights nearby - close to royal palaces, and just three minutes walk from the famous Jemaa el Fna Square.Swimming Pool - Small plunge pool