The 20 Best Hotels in Central Rome
The modern centre of Rome is the city’s hub for nightlife and shopping. And, as home to the likes of the Trevi Fountain and the Capuchin Monastery, it is not short on culture either. With its convenient location to some of the best the city has to offer it, is also where you’ll find a lot of Rome’s hotels — and there really are really a lot of hotels here! — which is why our hotel experts have scanned every inch of it to bring you a collection of the best hotels in central Rome. Within our list, you will find a good variety of properties ranging from charming B&Bs to grand palazzos. Whether you are booking a romantic escape, a city break with friends, or a getaway with the family — there is something for everyone here. So why not browse through our collection to start planning your next escape?
- Martius Private Suites is a fabulous hotel located right in the heart of Rome. Dating back to the Renaissance era the grand rooms have been brought into the 21st-century yet they still retain their original opulence; think frescoes, chandeliers, and antiques. Minutes from many major attractions, this property is hard to beat.
For the location
- Close to the Spanish Steps, and with three restaurants, a piano bar and a magnificent roof terrace with spectacular views, the Hotel Valadier is a great choice, along with being a great value choice.
- Or you might try Babuino 181, which is almost right next door, a 24 room, boutique hotel with a fabulous breakfast terrace and easy access to the main shopping streets.
For the views
- First Roma Arte is a five-star boutique hotel located in the heart of Rome. Suites are elegant with contemporary artwork, bookcases, and comfy armchairs adding a homely feel. Choose a luxury suite for a private terrace and hot tub. Expect fabulous views from many of the rooms but the best are enjoyed from the chic rooftop cocktail bar.
- Hotel de La Ville is a bright and elegant hotel boasting impressive views over Via Sistina. Each of the unique, contemporary rooms ooze luxury, decorated in rich fabrics, wood and marble. Unwind at the spa after exploring the city and end the day at the glamorous terrace bar.
- The Eden is a large and luxurious, five-star property with traditional decor and traditional discretion in a great spot that you can really appreciate when dining in the spectacular roof terrace restaurant.
- Or you might try the Hotel de Russie, which has a lovely courtyard and garden, light, airy rooms, and a spa and pool — despite being in the centre of town.
- Hotel D'Inghilterra is a traditional and formal old-time favourite of the Hollywood elite. Elegant rooms and suites have silk curtains and antique furnishings while Cafe Romano serves lovely Mediterranean fare. Pick this for the charm and perfect location below the Spanish Steps, in the middle of the Fashion District.
- Hotel Vilon is a luxury hotel set in a heritage building annexed to Palazzo Borghese. The 16th-century building has been renovated to offer bright modern rooms with unique design pieces. With a gourmet restaurant, this is a very comfortable stay.
For a palazzo
- Nobildonne Relais is a beautifully restored 19th-century palazzo located in the heart of the city. The four spacious suites feature high ceilings, long sash windows, Renaissance-style frescoes and Venetian mosaic tile floors. A luxurious base to explore the city from.
- Crossing Condotti offers an oasis of privacy and luxury, with just six rooms and decor which is a happy marriage between nicely chosen Baroque antiques and a modern canvas.
- Or, if you want the ultimate in romantic luxury, try La Residenza Napoleone, two incredibly opulent apartments dripping in old-world romance, with huge oils, taffeta silks and beautiful antiques. They also offer an in-house cook.
For a boutique
- Elizabeth Unique Hotel is a stunning designer hotel in the historic centre of Rome, whose rooms are awash with palatial elegance and artworks from the Russo Art Gallery. There is a bar with an impressive selection of wines and a bistro serving locally sourced cuisine. Ideal for luxury shopping or exploring Rome's ancient heritage.
- Campo Marzio Luxury Suites is a boutique hotel situated in the heart of Rome. The individually styled rooms feature international design pieces and luxury linens. The most spacious suites offer a free-standing bathtub and a modern fireplace. A sleek and modern city bolt-hole.
- JK Place Roma is a luxurious boutique property boasting a very central location in Rome. Elegant rooms perfectly mix traditional and contemporary styles with simple furniture, crisp white linen, soft hues and modern art. A lively bar serves up innovative cocktails and the restaurant offers a modern take on Italian classics. An intimate choice ideal for exploring the city.
For a B&B
- Casa Fabbrini Campo Marzio is a 16th-century townhouse, turned boutique B&B, in central Rome. Think country-style interiors with a modern twist, with exposed wooden beams and designer furniture. The uniquely decorated rooms exude rustic charm and a warm welcoming ambience. A charming choice.
For great value
- Residenza Frattina boasts an excellent location by the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain. This charming townhouse offers neutrally decorated bedrooms with nice original features, such as stone floors, fireplaces and exposed beams. Charming, good value, and friendly too.
For the restaurant
- Hassler Roma is a five-star hotel located in the heart of Rome's city centre. The spacious and elegant suites are dressed in either a modern or neoclassical style; the best have plush living space and a terrace with views over the city. Dine at Imàgo, the hotel's Michelin-starred restaurant. Luxury defined.
For something special
- Piazza di Spagna 9 is a beautifully designed mansion in the heart of Rome with just six, individually decorated rooms, a Turkish steam bath and its own contemporary art gallery.
- The Portrait Suites, in the fashion district, are a collection of 11 luxurious, boutique-style suites with haute couture furniture, kitchenettes, marble bathrooms and private terraces.
Still not sure where to book?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Rome.
- Refine your list to great hotels near the Colosseum.
- Consider our Guru’s list of the best hotels near the Vatican.
- Alternatively, contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Hotel Valadier Rome 67 rooms from £192Luxury - A luxury four star hotel with lavish interiors that feel like they are from a bygone eraLocal exploring - Well located in the heart of historic Rome just a short walk from the ColosseumCity Style - With elegant design and its own piano bar this is a grand central stayGood wine list - The hotel's wine cellar holds four hundred different labels
Classic hotel with modern comforts next to Piazza del Popolo and close to the Spanish Steps & Villa Borghese. Boasting three restaurants and a chic piano bar plus there's a magnificent roof terrace which has wonderful views of Rome. A grand stay well-positioned for city exploring. See More
Babuino 181 Rome 24 rooms from £200Chic - The feel is more 'chic serviced-apartment' than hotel which suits those who enjoy independent luxuryDesigner Shopping - Situated on Rome's most exclusive street (Via del Babuino), step out of the hotel and hit the shopsCity Style - A sleek boutique hotel with simple minamilist design beautifully executedLocal exploring - Just yards from the Spanish Steps, this couldn't be better placedRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
Hotel de Russie Rome 122 rooms from £350Local exploring - With its central location and range of guided walking and biking tours, this is the perfect launching spot to explore the city5* Luxury - The property is one of Rocco Forte's flagship hotels with top notch service, beautiful accommodation and fabulous foodRestaurant - Le Jardin de Russie Restaurant offers stylish Italian cuisine in stunning surroundings both inside and outGarden - Stunning terraced gardens where you can dine during the summer monthsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
Crossing Condotti Rome 10 rooms from £214Local exploring - Right in the heart of the city, with easy access to numerous cultural sights, designer shops, and restaurants tooCharming - The exposed wooden beams, antiquarian oil paintings and family silver make it feel like you are in someone's homeCity Style - The design perfectly merges traditional elegance and chic contemporary styleDesigner Shopping - Close to the boutiques and designer outlets on Via CondottiRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Luxurious recently refurbished oasis near the Spanish Steps that marries modern décor with well-chosen antiques. Intimate rooms, suites and one apartment with original beamed ceilings, polished wooden floors, enormous beds and tasteful artworks. Elegant and chic, with very personal service. See More
La Residenza Napoleone Rome 2 rooms from £781Families - The Roof Garden suite is the best option for larger families – it can accommodate up to two adults and three childrenGroups - With just two (very luxurious) suites, this is perfect to take in its entirety as an indulgent city baseOpulent - Interiors are undeniably opulent with chandeliers, oil paintings and museum-quality antiquesHistoric - The building dates back to the 16th century and Napoleon III stayed here in 1830Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Incredibly opulent apartment suites drenched in old world Italian romance. Huge oil paintings, taffeta silks, lavish beds, Baroque furniture, antique lighting and romantic pastels covering the walls. Each suite has a kitchenette, private terrace, in-house cook and access to a concierge service. See More
Piazza di Spagna 9 Rome 6 rooms from £280Architectural - The passion project of interior designer Stefania Grippo who's created an unfussy architectural space with bespoke design piecesCity Style - The hotel doubles up as an art and design exhibition — it doesn't get much trendier than that!Sights nearby - Just next to the Spanish Steps and Fontana di Trevi — this is well placed for city exploringRomantic Break - Unwind in the Turkish steam bath, designed for twoRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Located in the heart of Rome, this designer Mansion is uniquely decorated and boasts its very own contemporary art gallery. There are six individually decorated guest rooms and a Turkish steam bath for relaxing after a day's sightseeing. The perfect blend of contemporary and classic Roman elegance. See More
Portrait Roma Rome 14 rooms from £649Luxury - A very exclusive feel with discreet service, a dedicated ‘lifestyle team’ and a guest-only rooftop barLocal exploring - Located right beside the Spanish Steps this is a very central location for exploring the cityDesigner - Owned and designed by the Ferragamo family, this is an unsurprisingly stylish boutique staySuites - An all-suite hotel (each is vast) and there are fun little touches like video fireplacesRecommended by - Tablet
Luxury boutique suites in Rome's fashion district. Like the shops below, these suites are just as fashionable and come with an equally expensive price tag, with good reason. Each suite boasts enormous space, haute couture designer furniture, marble bathrooms, kitchenettes and private terraces. See More
Martius Private Suites Rome 8 rooms from £225Historic - The building, Palazzo Lavaggi, was originally built during the Renaissance and later remodeled in 1830 for a blue-blooded familyLocal exploring - Set in centro storico – you can stroll to the Pantheon in five minutes and the Trevi Fountain can be reached in under 10City Style - The epitome of Roman elegance — Renaissance suites beautifully renovated to accommodate modern tastesWalking distance restaurants - There are some of Rome’s best wine bars, delis, pizza parlours and restaurants right on the doorstepRecommended by - Tablet, Mr & Mrs Smith
An opulent hotel located right in the heart of Rome. Dating back to the Renaissance era the grand rooms have been brought into the 21st century yet they still retain their original opulence, think frescoes, chandeliers, and antiques. Minutes from many major attractions this property is hard to beat. See More
Casa Fabbrini Campo Marzio Rome (13) 5 rooms from £164Value chic - This sleek and stylish B&B is great value, especially in the low season; plus it's centrally located and full of quirky charm.Local exploring - In a quiet and secluded street yet right in the middle of centro storico, the perfect spot for culture vultures!Great walks - Wander the narrow lanes and cobbled streets of Rome’s centro storico.Sights nearby - The nearby Spanish Steps cannot be missed
A 16th century townhouse, turned boutique B&B, in central Rome. Think country style interiors with a modern twist, with exposed wooden beams and designer furniture. The uniquely decorated rooms exude rustic charm and a warm welcoming ambience. Enjoy a hearty breakfast before checking out the sights. See More
Hotel Vilòn Rome (Spagna) 18 rooms from £619Romantic Break - The romantic views of the palazzo gardens from the cosy rooms make this hotel popular with couplesCity Style - Connected to a renowned, heritage palazzo in Rome, this hotel has plenty of city styleLocal exploring - Set in a central location in Rome, this hotel makes a great base for local exploringSights nearby - Visit the nearby landmark Sant'Agostino, one of the first Roman churches built during the RenaissanceRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Great Small Hotels
This luxury hotel occupies a heritage building annexed to Palazzo Borghese in Rome. The 16th-century building has been renovated to offer bright, modern rooms with unique design pieces; the best suites have a terrace with views of the palazzo gardens. Eat at the gourmet restaurant; a stylish stay. See More
Nobildonne Relais Rome 5 rooms from £217City Style - The hotel gives the feel of staying at a friend's home — but just a very grand one. Laidback luxury at its bestGroups - With just five suites and grand common areas, this is a good option to rent out in its entirety as a groupFamilies - Pick the fabulous Paolina Borghese suite with two bedrooms and plenty of style for a chic family getawayDesigner Shopping - Rome's famed shopping streets, Via Condotti, Via Frattina and Via del Corso are all nearbyRecommended by - Tablet
JK Place Roma Rome 30 rooms from £625Boutique - A grown-up feeling boutique hotel with smart design, informal service that stops it from feeling stuffy, and a great locationSights nearby - The Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and Medici Villa are all within a 10-minute walkCity Style - An elegant boutique hotel located in what was once Rome's school of architectureBar - The wood-panelled bar is very sophisticated and serves an excellent cocktail tooRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A boutique property boasting a very central location in Rome. Elegant rooms perfectly mix traditional and contemporary styles with simple furniture, crisp white linen, soft hues and modern art. A lively bar serves up innovative cocktails and the restaurant offers a modern take on Italian classics. See More
Hotel de la Ville, Rome Rome 23 rooms from £640Luxury - With a vast spa, attentive service, a fabulous rooftop, fine dining, and a great location - this ticks all the boxesLocal exploring - Sitting at the top of the Spanish Steps, Hotel de la Ville occupies one of the most enviable addresses in RomeFoodies - Guests can enjoy traditional Roman cuisine at the hotel's restaurants or those nearbyViews - It is hard to beat the views of Rome from the hotel’s rooftop bar and terraces
An elegant luxury hotel boasting impressive views over Via Sistina in the heart of Rome. Each of the unique, contemporary rooms ooze luxury, decorated in rich fabrics, wood and marble. Unwind at the spa after exploring the city, and end the day at the glamorous terrace bar. See More
First Hotel Roma Arte Rome (Spagna) 29 rooms from £405Romantic Break - Couples love the homely, inviting feel to this hotel; book a luxury hot tub suite for added indulgence on your romantic getawayLocal exploring - Nestled in the centre of the Eternal City, next to the famous Spanish Steps, this hotel is a great base for local exploringCity Style - With chic, contemporary suites and a rooftop terrace, this hotel has lots of modern Roman styleSights nearby - Visit the nearby Trevi Fountain and the Collosseum, both easy walking distance from this hotelRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This five-star, boutique hotel is located in the heart of Rome by the Eternal Steps. Suites are elegant, with contemporary artwork, bookcases and comfy armchairs adding a homely feel; book a luxury suite for a private terrace and hot tub. Enjoy cocktails at the chic rooftop bar; a stylish city stay. See More
Campo Marzio Luxury Suites Rome (Spagna) 5 rooms from £217City Style - The suites' individual styles and international design pieces make this hotel a high scorer in city styleLocal exploring - The hotel's central location makes it a great base for exploring RomeFamilies - The spacious deluxe rooms are perfect for a small familySights nearby - Visit the famous Piazza Barberini, a late medieval square with Gian Lorenzo Bernini's 17th-century Triton Fountain at its centre
These boutique suites are situated in the heart of Rome. The individually styled rooms are named after famous Roman figures and feature international design pieces and luxury linens. The most spacious suites offer a free-standing bathtub and a modern fireplace. A sleek and modern city bolt-hole. See More
Hotel d'Inghilterra Rome 88 rooms from £259Families - The hotel is part of Starhotels’ V.I.K. (Very Important Kid) programme with free stays for children under 16Romantic Break - Rooftop meals looking over Rome's skyline, opulent suites and cosy bars — perfect for a romantic city breakDesigner Shopping - Right in the centre of the fashion district, this hotel is just steps from Via del Corso shopping streetCity Style - This chic hotel oozes history and old school charm, plus it's minutes from Rome's main attractionsRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Traditional and formal old-time favourite of Hollywood elite. Elegant rooms and suites with silk curtains and antique furnishings. Cafe Romano serves lovely Mediterranean fare and the Bond Bar is a must for a martini! Perfect location below the Spanish Steps, in the middle of the Fashion District. See More
Residenza Frattina Rome 13 rooms from £109Local exploring - Located in the centre of Rome, this is the perfect spot to tour the city from and guests are even given bicycles to get aroundFamilies - The option of spacious triple rooms or quadruple rooms make this a comfortable choice for those travelling with kidsValue chic - With rooms offered at around the €100 mark, this is a chic and affordable central baseSights nearby - Close to the Spanish Steps and walking distance to many major attractions
A charming townhouse set near the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. Beautiful bedrooms are decorated in neutral tones with stone floors, cast iron beds, fireplaces and wooden beams. There's a lovely sitting room and friendly service. A great value choice with lots of charm. See More
Hassler Roma Rome (Spagna) 87 rooms from £635City Style - Overlooking the Spanish Steps and a stone's throw from the Colosseum, you can't get more city style than this hotelRomantic Break - Couples will love the romantic, neoclassical suites, with plush linens and beautiful viewsHoneymoons - Book a presidential suite to enjoy a private hot tub, for a honeymoon with added luxuryRestaurant - The hotel has a Michelin-starred restaurant
This five-star hotel is located in the heart of Rome's city centre. The spacious and elegant suites are dressed in either a modern or neoclassical style; the best have plush living space and a terrace with views over the city. Dine at Imàgo, the hotel's Michelin-starred restaurant; luxury defined. See More
Elizabeth Unique Hotel Rome (Spagna) 33 rooms from £345Family - There are suites that sleep 3 - 4 or the option to configure a row of rooms along with the library for a very glam family padArtworks - The hotel has a remarkable collection of contemporary Italian art, curated by one of Rome’s most prestigious galleriesLocal exploring - This hotel has a prime location for exploring the sites of Rome: on the doorstep of the Ara Pacis and the CollosseumGood wine list - The wine list has been curated by guru Luca MaroniRecommended by - Design Hotels, Mr & Mrs Smith
Stunning designer hotel in the historic centre of Rome, with rooms awash in palatial elegance and artworks from the Russo Art Gallery. There is a bar with an impressive selection of wines and a bistro serving locally sourced cuisine. Ideal for luxury shopping or exploring Rome's ancient heritage. See More