The 15 Best hotels in Dartmoor National Park
Dartmoor is one of the UK's 15 National Parks. Covering nearly 1,000 square kilometres it is an area of dramatic scenery, wild moorland, remote hill farms and tucked away villages. It is also home to herds of Disney-cute Dartmoor ponies. The River Dart rises high on the moor and spills into the sea at Dartmouth on the south coast of Devon. So as you can imagine, the best hotels in Dartmoor National Park are all set amidst spectacular scenery!
The moor is covered in rocky granite outcrops known as Tors. The granite from Dartmoor has been used locally to build houses, roads, enclosures for animals and large fortunes for 19th Century quarry owners. Visitors and locals use the Tors now as picnic spots, climbing challenges, shelter and even hiding places for secret letters.
One of the most famous granite buildings on Dartmoor is Castle Drogo, the last castle built in England in the 1920s. Erected by a wealthy retail entrepreneur to improve his social standing and designed by the architect Edward Lutyens, unlike most other castles in England it has never been attacked or had to endure a seige. Outside it is an imposing medieval style fortress and inside a comfortable family home with all early 20th Century mod cons. There is a room of granite and steel and a Norman style library is among many historically themed rooms in this unique house.
Buckland Abbey outside Yelverton (and just outside the the National Park itself) is also worth a visit. Originally built as a Cistertian monastery, it was later home to Sir Francis Drake. Now a museum it tells the story of Drake and also of Sir Richard Grenville, a fascinating English naval commander from the 16th century. With its lovely gardens and shop, it makes for a great day out, and is a top picnic spot!
For those of a more outdoorsy bent, there is much to do in the Dartmoor National Park. There are walks galore, whether you just want a short amble or a more exertive day's hike. Similary there are more than 350km of paths and bridleways suitable for cyclists and horse-riding is a very popular activity. Fishing for brown trout, sea trout and salmon on the River Dart makes a great day out, and canoeing is possible here from October to March.
With lots to see and so much to do in this wonderful area, many of the best hotels in Dartmoor National Park are quickly snapped up, so we'd advise you plan ahead and book early.
The Best Hotels in Dartmoor National Park
- For some laid back luxury or a special occasion, Gidleigh Park near Chagford has newly refurbished spacious, comfortable rooms, beautiful gardens, a lovely tennis court and a Michelin starred restaurant. A great spot for an indulgent country escape.
- Vast Bovey Castle, built by the family who set up the newsagent chain WH Smith, has been converted into an impressive 60 room hotel with every imaginable service and activity on tap. Inside is the spa, swimming pool and restaurant and outside activities range from golf to egg collecting to fishing, hawking and croquet. It may look imposing but it's a house of fun.
For a chic stay
- Weeke Barton is a gorgeous small hotel with just five smart rooms on the north eastern edge of Dartmoor, surrounded by the Teign Valley. There's a snug bar, cosy lounge and dining room with wood burners and your four legged friend can come too!
- Glazebrook House Hotel is a sleek luxurious hotel with nine rooms, and an excellent restaurant serving classic British cuisine with a modern twist. Location-wise it's great not just for Dartmoor, but for the beautiful beaches of South Devon too.
For a B&B
- Mitchelcroft enjoys a quiet location with the National Park, and offers three individually styled bedrooms each with a private outdoor seating area for admiring the views.
- Burnville Farm is a sophisticated and elegant B&B on the Western edge of Dartmoor. In addition to the four luxurious rooms, there's a beautiful drawing room and evening meals on request.
- Kilbury Manor is a charming 17th century listed longhouse, just south of Dartmoor. Set amid four acres of grounds which lead down to the River Dart, there are four stylish bedrooms effortlessly blending old and new.
For a spa break
- Ilsington Country House is a luxurious escape where you can not only be pampered in the extensive spa, but also enjoy fabulous food (the restaurant has 2AA Rosettes), and bring the whole family (as well as the large indoor heated pool, there are a range of outdoor activities and board games etc to keep the youngsters happy).
For a tradtional feel
- Mill End Hotel is a great option if you're looking for a country escape with a classic feel. Open fires and cosy interiors offer a welcoming feel and the restaurant serves delicious seasonal cuisine.
- Prince Hall is another rural gem, right in the middle of the National Park. The nine rooms are done in a classic style and most are spacious with fantastic moorland views. There's an on site restaurant, and dogs are more than welcome!
- The Three Crowns in Chagford is a thatched inn that dates back in parts to the 13th century. The rooms are a successful blend of classic design accompanied by all the modern touches and accessories you'd expect from a luxury establishment.
Pubs with rooms
- The Rock Inn boasts traditionally styled en suite bedrooms with plenty of period features and some with dramatic four poster beds. The food's pretty good too - the retaurant has held 2 AA Rosettes since 2016.
- On the northern edges of Dartmoor, you'll find the Dartmoor Inn with its three cosy guest rooms which have been finished in a classic, sophisticated style.
- Situated in the centre of Chagford, The Globe Inn has seven individually styled rooms, plus a popular bar and restaurant downstairs.
- The pretty Elephant's Nest Inn just oozes period charm. There are three comfortable rooms, but the real draw here is the fantastic pub and restaurant where there's a regularly changing menu championing local produce.
Prefer an apartment or cottage?
- If you're travelling with family or a group of friends it may be a better option to book a cottage or apartment. For a wide range of properties for all tastes and budgets we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to the international Exeter Airport which has connections across the UK and Europe. By train travel to either Exeter, Newton Abbot, Totnes, Ivybridge or Plymouth.
- The weather in the UK is woefully unpredictable however for the best chance at getting some sunny days travel in the summer months (June - August).
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Widen the net and check out all our hotels in Devon.
- Or feel free to call or email a friendly guru for advice.
The best hotels in Dartmoor National Park
Gidleigh Park Hotel Chagford (Dartmoor) 24 rooms from £270Fishing - Fly fishing on the River Teign - licenses and tuition providedGarden - Beautiful landscaped gardenGreat walks - There are inumerable lovely walking trails both on thr 107 acres of mature grounds and on nearby Dartmoor.Private Hot Tub - Book the best room in the house for a private roof top hot tub!Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Sawdays
Super luxurious and pampering Dartmoor retreat, on 107 acres of mature grounds. The plush rooms come with antique furnishings, original art and huge sash windows. The Michelin stared food is served in an atmospheric and grandiose dining room. Peaceful, restful and totally heavenly. See More
Bovey Castle Chagford (Dartmoor) 64 rooms from £229Child friendly - Daily egg collecting, meet the ferrets and falconry displays. Colouring books & crayons for little ones at meal times!Spa - UK's flagship SUNDARI spaFamiliesGreat walks - Complimentary walking guides and dog towels.Recommended by - Tablet, Frommers, Small Luxury Hotels
Weeke Barton Bridford, Devon 5 rooms from £120Great walks - Dartmoor ramblingLocal markets - Good for local colour.Full of characterSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Sawdays
Glazebrook House Hotel South Brent, Devon 9 rooms from £135Great walks - Dartmoor National Park is full of wonderful walking routes.Sights nearby - Take a visit to Totnes Castle.Restrictions on children - Adult only.Romantic - Good for couples.
Chic and sleek are probably not the words people associate with Dartmoor but they certainly fit the bill at Glazebrook House Hotel. Featuring wonderfully designed rooms and an excellent restaurant, it's perfect for people looking for a hip base from which to explore Devon. See More
Mitchelcroft Buckfastleigh (Dartmoor) 3 rooms from £85Country Escape - Boasting a secluded spot within Dartmoor National Park.Great walks - Take long walks along the endless and picturesque walking trails running through Dartmoor.Kayaking - Dicover the beauty of the South Devon coast in a kayak.Secluded setting - For escaping.
A characterful B&B boasting an enviable location in the heart of Dartmoor. Three individually styled rooms are light and comfortable and offer private outdoor seating areas to enjoy the views. Indulgent breakfasts are served in a contemporary breakfast room with floor to ceiling windows. See More
Burnville Farm Dartmoor, Devon 4 rooms from £95Sights nearby - Take a day trip to Tavistock, voted the UK's best market town.Great walks - Dartmoor National Park is full of superb walking routes.Swimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor poolRecommended by - Sawdays
Set on a beautiful Devonshire farm amidst rolling green fields, Burnville Farm is an excellent B&B. Boasting lovely rooms, an outdoor pool and stunning views, it's a great base for exploring Dartmoor. Also offer self-catering cottages that are great for families and groups. See More
Kilbury Manor Buckfastleigh (South Devon) 5 rooms from £85Country Escape - Proper country living - experience life in a true English rural idyllGreat walks - Good for walkers.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
A 17th century listed cottage situated to the south of Dartmoor National Park. Friendly, comfortable B&B with a beautiful garden. Large rooms with stylish decor - a mix of traditional and contemporary. Two are situated in the converted barn. The perfect place to relax and unwind. See More
Ilsington Country House Dartmoor, Devon 25 rooms from £140Spa breaks - A country house and contemporary spa which uses the latest technology alongside touches of ancient Tibetan knowledge.Swimming Pool - Indoor poolRemote - Off the beaten track.Secluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
A quintessentially British country house set in beautiful, rugged Dartmoor. Charming rooms feature soft hues, tartan fabrics and sink-into beds. A fabulous restaurant (using the freshest local produce) and indulgent spa are a welcome respite after a day spent on the moors. See More
Prince Hall Dartmoor, Devon 9 rooms from £176Sights nearby - Go and visit local sights such as Lydford Castle and Castle Drogo.Great walks - Go for lovely walks in the surrounding countryside.Views - Great views from hotelFull of character
Three Crowns Chagford (Dartmoor) 21 rooms from £105Active Holiday - With Dartmoor National Park on your doorstep there's a host of outdoor activities on offer.Great walks - Stroll through Stone Lane Gardens, an enchanting 5-acre woodland garden on the edge of the Dartmoor National Park.Fishing - Try your hand at fly-fishing on Dartmoor’s rivers and lakes.Full of character
A charming inn set in Chagford and surrounded by the rugged and beautiful Dartmoor National park. Simply dressed rooms mix contemporary and traditional styles with feature wallpaper, crisp white linen and soft hues. A fabulous restaurant beautifully showcases local produce. See More
The Rock Inn Newton Abbot, Devon 9 rooms from £95Sights nearby - Buckfast Abbey (famous for their tonic wine), Castle Drogo, Powderham Castle are a short drive.Great walks - Yarner Wood The nearby Yarner Wood is superb for walking.Views - Great views from hotelFull of characterRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Welcoming guests since the 1800's this country inn is located within Dartmoor National Park. It is traditional in style with exposed beams and antique decor. There is a charming self contained holiday rental cottage, plus dogs are welcome! The restaurant focuses on fresh, local fish and good wine. See More
The Dartmoor Inn Okehampton, Devon 3 rooms from £115Local exploring - A great base for exploring the Dartmoor National Park.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of beautiful walking routes.Full of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
The Globe Inn Chagford (Dartmoor) 7 rooms from £95Active Holiday - Dartmoor National Park offers a plethora of outdoor pursuits.Great walks - Explore the miles of secenic walking trails that run through Dartmoor.Lively - Hip and happening.Traditional
An atmospheric inn set in the heart of the pretty market town of Chagford. Individually styled rooms are spacious and bright with large sash windows and boldly patterned fabrics in soft hues. A lively restaurant serves traditional fare using local produce. Perfect for exploring the moors. See More
The Elephant's Nest Inn Mary Tavy, Devon 3 rooms from £110Great walks - There are lots of wonderful walking routes right from the Inn.Sights nearby - Take a trip to nearby Lydford Castle.Full of characterViews - Great views from hotel