The 11 Best Boutique Hotels in Devon
Devon has long been a popular holiday or weekend getaway destination. But with a new breed of chic hotels cropping up all over the county, there's even more reason to make the effort to visit this charming corner of South West England! Our pick of the best boutique hotels in Devon, from the coast to the green heart of the countryside, range from rustic-chic pads with wood-burning stoves set in Grade II-listed Elizabethan manors, to ethereal, dreamlike hotels promising romance and mystery. Whether you're a family looking to book a fun seaside holiday or a couple seeking an intimate hideaway, this collection of the 11 best boutique hotels in Devon will have what you're looking for.
The best boutique hotels by the sea
- Sitting in the sunlit New England-style brasserie of South Sands, watching the slow, scintillating blue waters of the Salcombe Estuary ride up and down the beach, you think, "I could be in the Cote d'Azur." But no, in fact, you're in Devon, in a beautifully designed hotel with bright, minimalist rooms decorated with splashes of pastel colours, sleek tiled bathrooms and a restaurant serving delectable locally-sourced cuisine. All in all, an impressive seaside boutique, with sunshine, sand and sailing right on your doorstep!
- Gara Rock sprawls across the clifftops facing the sea, a complex of boutique suites and self-catering cottages. The chic, Bohemian-style rooms are truly something - with their period style furniture, faux fur throws slung over velveteen chairs, wood-panelled walls and black and white tiled floors. The bar is especially cool, lit by blue lights casting an ambience that you'd associate with a speakeasy, while the yoga sessions and on-site cinema keep it cool and contemporary. A place to recharge your batteries.
The best boutiques for families
- A 150-year-old renovated pub, the whitewashed and blue-shuttered Cary Arms crowns a hill facing the sea, perched above lovingly manicured terraced gardens that tumble down towards the beach. Offering everything from self-catering fishermen's cottages to spacious family suites, the rooms combine the homely feel of an English pub with the luxury of a smart designer hotel. Think whitewashed, minimalist rooms decked out with exposed beams, tiled bathrooms of exposed brick walls and monsoon showerheads, plus hearty pub-grub in the restaurant and the rejuvenating qualities of the spa. Great for families!
- Walking into The Seagate can take you by surprise. From the outside this 17th century inn looks like any other English pub - few needless frills, white walls and blackboards detailing the daily specials; yet inside, the rooms are cleanly designed, with a rustic-chic regard for furnishings - carefully placed faux-vintage ladders, sun-terrace-style wicker chairs and exposed wooden beams adorning the ceilings. Families will love its close proximity to petting zoos and theme parks, the spacious family suites, its seaside location, and parents will undoubtedly enjoy its vast selection of wine.
For a country house style boutique stay
- A stay in Weeke Barton is about as authentic as it gets. A Grade II-listed building set amidst five acres of garden and meadow, inside the colourful designer rooms are defined by walls misshapen by the passing of time and creaky old wooden doors, while still boasting the contemporary comfort of a tiled walk-in shower. The cosy lounge, seemingly held together by the dark wooden beams slanted across it, has comfy leather chairs and sofas centred around a wood-burning stove. The very best of rustic-chic.
- Small, snug and refreshingly simple, Whitehouse is a converted Georgian house sitting on a sweeping sunlit lawn. A great place to relax and far from the madding crowd, the lovely whitewashed rooms combine rustic tradition with a chic eye for style, with timber-framed beds and parquet flooring, charming objets d'art and breathtaking views of the countryside. Wonderful for a romantic break in Devonshire and not to be missed!
The best chic boutiques in Devon
- Surreal, moody and effortlessly sexy, Glazebrook House Hotel has all the chic surrealism of a David Lynch film, and is not what you'd expect to find in the midst of Dartmoor! The atmsopheric lounge has dark walls, and an eclectic mix of retro and vintage objets, while glass chandeliers hang from the ceiling. The suites upstairs will not disappoint either. All this and a superb restaurant! One for grown-ups.
- Southernhay House embodies a different kind of chic, a more traditional vibe, right in the cobbled heart of Exeter. Adults-only, this beautiful boutique boasts rooms with free-standing baths, large sash windows and antique furniture, while the sun terrace - perfect for drinks at sundown - reminds you more of a villa in France than a house in the heart of a Devonshire town. The bar is elegant and cool, the perfect place to unwind after a busy day of sightseeing!
The best value boutiques in Devon
- The City Gate stands in the heart of Exeter, near the famous cobbled streets of the city centre and the beautiful cathedral. Redefining what it means to be value-chic, the individually-designed rooms are impressive and comfortable considering the meagre price you pay for them. Quaint, cool and even cooler when you consider the price-tag.
- A charming pub in a quaint village, the Rose & Crown delights visitors with its combination of great service, hearty food and elegant rooms, and the fact that you can afford it even when the purse strings are tight. With its striking orange facade, inside the soft-as-satin rooms are decked in wooden beams and floral curtains, and are always full of light due to the positioning of the hotel. Sleek, simple and elegant, it's a real treat!
Still not sure?
- Check out our collection of the 15 best hotels in Dartmoor National Park
- or 15 of Devon's most romantic hotels
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Cary Arms Torquay 21 rooms from £163Exclusive offer - 3 for 2Total relaxation - Lazy days eating seafood on the terrace, followed by customised holistic treatments in the spa using Yon-Ka products.Families - Three cottages with three, four or five rooms are ideal for families.Great walks - Jump onto the South West Coast Path National Trail spanning for 630 miles through stunning landscapes.Fishing - The Inn provides rods for the pier and nets for fishing in rock pools.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
A boutique hotel with the charm of a British pub. The cliff top position makes for stunning views. Chic white washed rooms mix traditional features with modern simplicity. Hearty gastro-pub styled food is served at the restaurant. A glorious spa. An excellent choice for a family holiday. See More
The Seagate Appledore, Devon 10 rooms from £105Sailing - Whether for purpose or pleasure you can book a boat trip with 'Appledore Leisure Cruise and Fishing Trips'Great walks - Traverse part of the South West Coastal Path.Sights nearby - Powderham Castle is worth a visit.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
With views of the charming fishing village this 17th century inn is a great family stay. The decor hints at its nautical location with light palettes, blue stripes and cushions, as well as exposed beams and extra beds. The menu's emphasis is on fresh local fish, complemented with fine wines. See More
The City Gate Exeter (South Devon) 14 rooms from £89Local exploring - A great base from which to explore the charms of Exeter and the surrounding countryside.Great walks - The nearby Jurrasic Coast has countless beautiful walking paths.Sights nearby - Five minutes walk from the magnificent Exeter Cathedral.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Glazebrook House Hotel South Brent, Devon 9 rooms from £199Great walks - Dartmoor National Park is full of wonderful walking routes.Sights nearby - Take a visit to Totnes Castle.Restrictions on children - Adult only.Romantic - Good for couples.
Chic and sleek are probably not the words people associate with Dartmoor but they certainly fit the bill at Glazebrook House Hotel. Featuring wonderfully designed rooms and an excellent restaurant, it's perfect for people looking for a hip base from which to explore Devon. See More
Southernhay House Exeter (South Devon) 10 rooms from £150City Style - A chic townhouse with an excellent central location.Sights nearby - Visit the impressive Exeter Cathedral dating back to 1400.Restrictions on children - Adult onlyRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Sawdays
A chic adults only boutique property located in the heart of Exeter. Smart rooms feature soft hues, enormous sash windows and spacious contemporary bathrooms - the best have free standing baths. And The Club Room offers all day dining. The ideal base from where to explore the city. See More
Gara Rock South Devon 12 rooms from £168Country Escape - This cosy, stylish retreat is set on the beautiful Devon cliffs, ideal for refreshing windswept walks and coastal explorationFamilies - The self-contained cottages are perfect for a family holiday, with self-catering facilities availableRomantic Break - Book a loft suite for romantic views over the dramatic Devon coastlineGreat walks - There are a host of picturesque coastal trails to explore; ask your hosts for recommendations for your itinerary
This clifftop hotel is located in East Portlemouth, Devon. Choose from loft suites with excellent views or family-friendly self-catering cottages. All feature large windows and a bohemian feel, with jute rugs and block-prints. Sample the gourmet restaurant before booking into the spa; a chic hotel. See More
Weeke Barton Bridford, Devon 5 rooms from £120Great walks - Dartmoor ramblingSecluded setting - For escaping.Full of characterLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Sawdays
Rose & Crown Plymouth, Devon 8 rooms from £79Local exploring - A great base for exploring Yealmpton and the surrounding countryside.Sights nearby - Visit the lovely nearby Cathedral Church of St Mary and St Boniface.Great walks - Go for lovely walks along the river Yealm.Restaurant - Recommended.
Immediately striking due to an orange facade, the Rose & Crown is a charming Devonshire inn. Rooms are comfortable and spacious and the hotel restaurant offers delicious local cuisine. A great launchpad from which to explore the beautiful countryside surrounding Yealmpton. See More
Whitehouse Chillington, Devon 6 rooms from £190Spa - House membership to the Dart Marina SpaRestaurant - No children after 6pmSailing - Can be booked nearby.Four poster beds - For romantics.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
South Sands Salcombe, Devon 22 rooms from £195Great walks - Walk up behind the hotel and look around the National Trust's Overbeck's House and Garden a treasure trove of tropical plants.Local markets - Walk to Salcombe and check out the various art galleries and boutiques including Bibi & Mac, Quba Sails and Jack Wills.Sailing - South Sands Sailing school is right next to the hotel offering sailing, kayaking and other watersports.Fishing - The hotel can arrange deep-sea fishing trips with a little notice.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Good Hotel Guide
Paradise for watersport addicts - a comfortable haven, right on the beach. Rooms are designed in a contemporary New England style - creams and soft pastel colours. The spacious suites are perfect for families. Enjoy the sea air and great brasserie food at the beach side restaurant and terrace. See More