Dorset’s Most Romantic Hotels
Dorset’s beautiful and oft dramatic coastline is why many people consider this county a romantic destination. As well as promising windswept walks, spectacular, sandy sunsets and plenty of opportunities to dine alfresco or get out on the water, Dorset has the fascinating Jurassic Coast and numerous pretty seaside towns and hamlets. So it’s probably no surprise that quite a few of Dorset’s most romantic hotels are on, or close to, the seafront.
But Dorset’s gentle hills and sunken lanes, leading to unspoiled, pastoral villages, are also home to a number of our Guru’s top recommendations when it comes to Dorset’s most romantic hotels. There are a number of charming old country pubs, perfect for a quiet, affordable escape, and some grand country houses if you’re looking for a mini-break retreat.
Over half of Dorset is designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and three quarters of the coastline is a World Heritage Site, so be prepared for a truly beautiful backdrop against which to plan your romantic suppers for two, sailing trips to secluded coves and a spot of daydreamy sightseeting.
Dorset’s Most Romantic Hotels
Dorset’s Most Romantic Sea View Hotels
- The Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa is perfect for an indulgent break by the sea. Right on Christchuch Harbour and newly refurbished, this is a sophisticated take on the traditional seaside hotel with a rather glamorous bar and a great restaurant on the ‘top deck’ of the hotel. There’s also a stylish spa.
- The Pig on the Beach is a shabby-chic, cosy hotel with 23 rooms and a gourmet restaurant which gets as much of its produce as possible from the hotel’s kitchen garden. There are plenty of great vintage finds, furniture wise, with four-posters and stand-alone baths, plus the views are amazing and you’re right by about four miles worth of unspoiled beach.
Dorset’s Most Romantic Countryside Hotels
- The Wooden Cabbage is a beautiful private country house with stunning views, fragrant gardens and stylish decor. There are just three rooms and the friendly owners are hosts rather than managers, the breakfasts are locally sourced and you’re surrounded by potential walking trails.
- The Priory Hotel is a peaceful slice of old England in lovely Wareham on the edge of the Isle of Purbeck. There are 18 classically styled rooms and a beautiful garden. No children under 14.
- The Bridgehouse Hotel is a 14 room hotel with wooden beams, open fireplaces and a cosy atmosphere. The decor is quite traditional and romantic and you’re surrounded by some of the most picturesque views in the UK. There’s also an award-winning restaurant.
Romantic Dorset Hotels with Hot Tubs
- If romance is on your mind and privacy is what you want, you'll have to book Summer Lodge's Ivy Cottage. However if you can't stretch to that (prices start at £655 per night B&B), the hotel also has a spa where you'll find a hot tub for all to use.
- The Captain’s Club Hotel & Spa is a modern seaside hotel in Christchurch, right on the bank of the River Stour. There are 17 rooms and suites, including some self-catering apartments with fully equipped kitchens and balconies with a view. There are lovely terraces a great spa and a good restaurant.
If those properties have inspired you why not check out our Guru’s full collection of hotels with hot tubs in Dorset.
Dorset’s Most Affordable Romantic Hotels
- The Museum Inn is a romantic, rural country pub, this time located in a postcard perfect village in north Dorset. With eight individually designed rooms, in either the main house or the converted stables, and a separate large cottage which sleeps up to 16, the Museum Inn is a great country escape. It’s also got a choice of fine dining or gastropub fare.
- The Stapleton Arms is a boutique pub/country inn with just four rooms and lovely original features. If you’re looking for a property with plenty of charm, then the Arms is for you. The gourmet pub food has gained a following and they offer a breakfast fit for a king.
If you haven’t found your idea of Dorset’s most romantic hotel on our Guru’s list you could:
- Consult our Ultimate Guide to the Most Romantic Hotels in the UK,
- browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Dorset,
- or our Guru’s collection of hotels with hot tubs in Dorset,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Dorset’s Most Romantic Hotels
Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa 64 rooms from £160Christchurch
Style and exceptional service on the Dorset coast. The newly refurbished Christchurch Harbour Hotel offers smart bedrooms, excellent food, pampering spa and wonderful views. Perfect for an indulgent break by the sea.Kayaking - Complimentary single and double kayaks available for the guests to use.Great walks - Plenty of coastal walks for all abilitiesViews - Superb views over Christchurch harbourSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Wooden Cabbage 3 rooms from £115near Dorchester, Dorset
Superb private country house with stunning views. Cosy and stylish decor with oh so comfy beds. Enjoy the very local produce for breakfast whilst surrounded by lovely countryside. Ideally situated for walkers in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. A charming spot for a country escape.Country Escape - A country house with charming hosts, sweeping views of the Dorset countryside and fragrant flower filled gardens.Sights nearby - Visit any one of the many local stately homes including Mapperton House and Gardens, Forde Abbey & Gardens or Montacute House.Great walks - Take your pick of rolling hills or stunning coastal walks on the beach or headlands (20 minutes drive).Local markets - Shop in the local market towns of Sherborne, Beaminster, Crewkerne and Bridport.Recommended by - Sawdays
The Pig On The Beach 23 rooms from £135South Dorset
Stylish country hotel ideal for a weekend break in Dorset. 23 rooms are ultimate shabby chic with four-posters, wooden floors, stand alone bath tubs. Gourmet restaurant uses produce fresh from the kitchen garden. Miles of English coastline to explore and stunning views. The perfect getaway.Exclusive offer - Complimentary UpgradeRestaurant - James Golding prepares delicious food from the kitchen gardenFull of character - Shabby chic rooms with vintage touchesGarden - Kitchen garden, terrace and huge lawnOn the beach - Four miles of unspoilt beaches
Priory Hotel 18 rooms from £220Wareham (South Dorset)
A slice of old England served with China tea. A peaceful and romantic hotel in lovely Wareham on the edge of the Isle of Purbeck. Classically styled rooms and a beautiful garden. Plenty of great excursions for adults and older kids.Local exploring - From the Saxon town walls of the ancient market town of Wareham to the rolling Dorset countryside there is plenty to see.Great walks - The lovely gardens slope down to the River Frome, a perfect starting point for an afternoon stroll.Sights nearby - Check out nearby Corfe village with the spectacular ruins of Corfe Castle, only a few miles away.Restrictions on children - Not under 14Recommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
BridgeHouse Hotel 14 rooms from £160Beaminster (West Dorset)
Renovated country town hotel. Cosy atmosphere with wooden beams and open fireplaces. Traditional and romantic rooms with dark hues and four poster beds. Award winning restaurant and some of the most picturesque countryside in the UK. Ideal for a country weekend away.Country Escape - A perfect country house hideaway, with cosy fires, excellent food, old oak beams, Georgian panelling, and wonderful walking.Great walks - The Jurassic Coast on your doorstep, throw on the wellies and head out rambling- don't forget your packed lunch.Sailing - The hotel arranges RIB rides along the Jurassic coast from West Bay to Lyme Regis.House party feel - Be prepared to meet people.Recommended by - I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Summer Lodge 24 rooms from £265Evershot, Dorset
A Hardy-esque country house turned hotel, surrounded by lovely gardens and spectacular countryside. Luxurious rooms boasts elaborate floral fabrics and plush furnishings. The gourmet restaurant is not to be missed, nor the extensive bar. A cosy countryside base, complete with pool, spa and tennis.Foodies - The dream team of Head Chef Steven Titman and world-renowned Sommelier Eric Zwiebel make dinner an unforgettable experience.Romantic Break - Let your romantic side out with candlelit jacuzzi sessions, in room champagne and rose petals on the bed.Great walks - Borrow wellies for strolls around the English garden or the adjoining deer park teeming with wildlife and natural beauty.Private Hot Tub - Ivy Cottage features a private outdoor hot tub.Recommended by - I Escape, Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
Captain's Club Hotel & Spa 17 rooms from £229Christchurch (East Dorset)
A modern seaside hotel on the banks of the River Stour in Christchurch. Self-catering rooms and suites have fully equipped kitchens, modern furnishings, and balconies with views. Top of the range spa and therapies, terraces, good restaurant, and plenty of local activities. Very family oriented.Riverside - Perfectly set on the banks of the River Stour.WeddingsFamiliesSights nearby - Poole Harbour, one of the world's largest natural harbours, is 15km away.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Stapleton Arms 4 rooms from £110Buckhorn Weston, Dorset
A reinvention of the English country pub, boutique style. Original highlights - wooden beams, inglenook fireplaces - retained, with addition of stylish, freshly designed rooms. The gourmet pub food has gained a reputation for Sunday Roasts, inspired menus and a breakfast fit for a king.Foodies - Locally sourced, responsibly reared meats, veggies from the back garden, homemade pork pies, scotch eggs and relish- heaven!Families - Child and dog friendly, with kids menu, highchairs, crayons, and plenty of fun countryside activities.Great walks - They will show you where to go, supply you with wellies, umbrellas and picnics- so get out there and explore!Local markets - Towns of Shaftesbury and Gillingham both have markets to explore.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Museum Inn 8 rooms from £110Blandford Forum, Dorset
The Museum Inn is an award-winning country pub located in a picture-postcard village in rural north Dorset. Eight individually designed rooms either in the main house or converted stables feature plush decor with Bramley bathroom accessories. Plus a separate large cottage for families or groups.Foodies - Both gastropub and fine dining options at the Museum Inn offer locally sourced, wholesome food, expect game from nearby shoots.Groups - Moles cottage sleeps up to 16 and is popular with shooting parties in the season and families in the summer.Traditional - There is a period feel throughout the Museum Inn, with flagstone floors & roaring fire in the bar and antique furnishings.Fishing - Damerham Fisheries offers Trout fishing and Gorcombe Farm boasts fishing, clay pigeon shooting and archery.Recommended by - Sawdays
The Kings Arms 20 rooms from £135Christchurch (East Dorset)
This grand Georgian property provides a stylish stay. Inside it is a sympathetic blend of traditional architecture with modern furnishings. Rooms are decorated with velvet headboards, sumptuous armchairs and luxurious bathrooms. The gourmet restaurant has a seasonal delicious locally sourced menu.Sights nearby - The historic Christchurch Priory Church, Christchurch Castle and Highcliffe Castle are within walking distance or very close.Great walks - The many pathways of the Jurassic Coast are on your doorstep.OpulentSailing - Can be booked nearby.