The 8 Best B&Bs in Edinburgh
So, you want to go to Edinburgh, Scotland's cobbled, picturesque capital city; a favourite of history buffs, culture vultures, and couples looking for somewhere romantic to visit. This beautiful city has a tonne of brilliant gourmet restaurants, lunch-time eateries, cute cafes and lively bars - therefore, a B&B in Edinburgh is what you're after. You've come to the right place! In this list of Edinburgh's best B&Bs, we've selected a lovely variety: from cheap and cheerful family stays to elegant, historic abodes. Use our guide below and start planning your escape to Edinburgh!
- Cheap, cheerful and incredibly chic, 94 DR is a great choice for a family B&B in Edinburgh. An unassuming 5-star boutique property, this guesthouse features incredibly cool black-and-white rooms spread with animal hides, some with great views of Arthur's Seat. Stylish yet homely, family suites come with a bunk bed and Xbox!
- Another lovely choice for families, Abercorn Guesthouse is a home away from home. This former manse is one of Edinburgh's finest family-run B&Bs; it's a traditional affair, so expect floral patterns and antiques, hearty Scottish breakfasts (yes, that means haggis!) and a serene walled garden. Family rooms sleep up to five. Slightly off centre Portobello location, but the kids will love the beach too!
- B+B Edinburgh is undoubtedly one of the best value B&Bs in Edinburgh. While the public areas retain their essential Victorian character of wood-panelled walls, oil paintings, expansive shelves of books and roaring fires, the bedrooms are spacious, chic and contemporary, with spellbinding views. From relaxing in the bar to enjoying a lavish breakfast, it's perfect for those on a budget.
- Brooks Edinburgh is another B&B of amazing value on the outskirts of Edinburgh's city centre. The eclectic decor is simultanously chic and traditional: chintzy wallpaper, black chandeliers, oil paintings, heavy drapes and oversized leather chairs.
An Historic Stay
- For a truly historic stay, 23 Mayfield is a great place to book. This elegant 5 star is a gorgeous Edinburgh B&B: stained glass windows, wood-panelled walls, fireplaces and four posters. Expect fabulous breakfast in the atmospheric dining room, and there's a little garden with room to sit out.
- The Hedges is set in an Edwardian townhouse, and bears the sophistication so synonymous with that grand era. One of the most romantic B&Bs in Edinburgh, this lovely guesthouse offers elegant rooms and an intimate feel. Simple and charming.
- Barony House is quiet and cool, definitely one of Edinburgh's most unique B&Bs. The rooms are a delicious blend of traditional (medieval tapestry style headboards) and totally modern (contemporary art, colourful bed linen, chic colour schemes). Just a stone's throw from Arthur's Seat - perfect for sightseeing!
- Six Brunton Place is one of Edinburgh's stylish B&Bs that still manages to be homely. Alongside the modern art you'll find traditional statues and wood-burning fireplaces. The rooms are unique and warm, perfect for a romantic break - antiques alongside chic and contemporary comforts.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Edinburgh;
- Or check out our collections of the Best Hotels in Edinburgh’s New Town or the Best Edinburgh Hotels with Pools;
- Have a look at this list of the best hotels in Edinburgh's Old Town, or West End;
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our Gurus for advice.
94 DR Edinburgh 7 rooms from £80Families - The family suite comes complete with bunk room, Xbox, toy chest and DVD player!Value chic - Beautifully done contemporary rooms which offer amazing value for moneyBoutique - Individually designed rooms offer contemporary style alongside period Victorian featuresViews - Some of the rooms boast excellent views of Arthur's Seat and Salisbury CraggsRecommended by - I Escape, Good Hotel Guide
Abercorn Guest house Edinburgh (Portobello) 6 rooms from £120Local exploring - A charming city base with easy access to the main attractions and hosts with an extensive knowledge of the area.Families - The large family room can accommodate up to fiveSights nearby - Take a tour of the Royal Yacht Britannia, a ship that has played host to some of the most famous people in the world.Full of character
A charming family-run guesthouse boasting a fantastic coastal location. Traditionally dressed throughout, expect floral patterns, soft hues and antiques. Breakfasts are not taken lightly with both a continental and Scottish serving which includes haggis. A delightful spot to explore the city from. See More
B+B Edinburgh Edinburgh 27 rooms from £75Local exploring - With its excellent central location and attractive price tag, B+B Edinburgh makes a great choice for a budget city breakLess £ - With double rooms starting from well under £100 per night, B+B Edinburgh is a very affordable optionSights nearby - The property is a short walk (or bus/tram ride) from Edinburgh highlights including the castle and Royal MileViews - Many of the rooms boasts fabulous views over the city
The Hedges Edinburgh 5 rooms from £80Great walks - Taking a stroll through Edinburgh must be one of the most picturesque city walks in the world.Local markets - Wander down to Stockbridge and go to the weekend market.Sights nearby - Walk up the Royal Mile to Edinburgh Castle.
Barony House Edinburgh 5 rooms from £117Local exploring - A great base for exploring Edinburgh as well as the surrounding area.Great walks - Go for a walk up Arthur's Seat and through Holyrood Park.Sights nearby - Stroll up the Royal Mile to the iconic Edinburgh Castle.Full of character
Just a short stroll from Arthur's Seat, Barony House is a delightful B&B. The rooms have magnificent ornate beds that offer a great combination of character and comfort. A superb Edinburgh base for people looking for somewhere quiet away from the hustle and bustle of the centre. See More
23 Mayfield Edinburgh 7 rooms from £135City Style - Walkable or short bus to the city's highlights; return to sit by the fireplace and enjoy romantic ambienceSights nearby - Edinburgh castle and King Arthur's seatRomantic - Good for couples.TraditionalRecommended by - Sawdays
Brooks Edinburgh Edinburgh 46 rooms from £59Local exploring - Well located in Edinburgh's West End, just a 10 min walk from the Old Town and five mins from Haymarket StationValue chic - Clean, comfortable accommodation at extremely affordable pricesLess £ - Elegant central Edinburgh B&B that won't break the bankSights nearby - Easy walk to the sights; both Old and New Towns are a short stroll from Brooks
Six Brunton Place Edinburgh 4 rooms from £139Romantic Break - With luxurious rooms, Egyptian cotton bedlinen, and views over Royal Terrace Gardens- it's perfect for a romantic city break.Local exploring - Just east of the city centre, with easy access to the sights, yet sitting on a peaceful street slightly out of the action.Minimum Stay - Two nights minimum staySights nearby - Fifteen minutes walk from the Royal Mile and Edinburgh Castle.
A superb bed and breakfast that captures all the splendour of Edinburgh's Edwardian history. The plush rooms are elegantly appointed with tasteful furnishings and charming artwork. It serves as a great launchpad for exploring Edinburgh's main attractions. A city centre gem. See More